Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible love

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done C - magnificent work. Seems like you got the execution almost spot-on on the day - except for the packing mishap. I agree with the last part of the route being disappointing, glad to hear you managed to finish strong. Now, what's next? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done. You ran a great race by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

nop98 wrote: »
    Well done C - magnificent work. Seems like you got the execution almost spot-on on the day - except for the packing mishap. I agree with the last part of the route being disappointing, glad to hear you managed to finish strong. Now, what's next? :)

Thanks nop. And thanks again for the course tips. I'm not too sure what's next but I'm thinking either a 10k or another half marathon. I think the Clontarf half may be a bit too soon so I'm contemplating the Dublin Rock 'n' Roll half in August (did this as my first ever half marathon in 2015). Unfortunately the Dublin half is out as I'll be on holidays for 2 weeks in mid September.
    But for the next week or two, I'm going to enjoy doing nothing other than cycling to & from work.
    gypsylee wrote: »

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

gypsylee wrote: »

Belated congrats on the 8 minute PB! :D

Belated congrats on the 8 minute PB! :D

Thank you! I must get you to predict all my race times from now on:D

• Advertisement

Glad to be of assistance :D You're welcome :)

So much for taking a week or two off completely. Wasn't feeling the best this morning but thought an easy run would do me good. 6 miles at 10:13/mile.
    Managed to avoid the rain but it was oh so windy down at Sandymount strand.
    Doubt I'll get many runs done next week but gonna start looking at training plans and pick one to get started on in the next few weeks.

Very slowly getting back into things, with just 2 runs completed this week.

Thursday: 5 miles easy, 9:51/mile

Sunday: 6.05 miles easy, 9:50/mile. Would've been a crime not to get out for a run today, such a wonderfully sunny day, ran along the Grand canal, so many runners out enjoying the good weather.

Gonna try and get back into a more regular routine this week, although still haven't decided on a new plan to follow.

My getting back into a more regular routine hasn't really happened get. Just 3 runs completed last week.

Monday: 3 miles at a bit faster than easy pace, 9:28/mile

Tuesday: 6.3 miles at a bit faster than a bit faster than easy pace, 9:06/mile:p

Friday: In London for the weekend and was staying near Hyde park on Thursday night so decided to take advantage of this on Friday morning. 5 miles very easy pace, 10:57/mile. I felt terrible on this run, it was very humid so I was very slow and just felt like I'd no energy. Stopped a few times to take photos, first time ever in Hyde Park, really liked it.

Did a lot of walking around London over the weekend and somehow managed to feck up my left leg on Saturday. Quad/IT band were feeling quite sore all of a sudden when I was walking up steps and was throbbing badly all Saturday night. Pain is gradually easing off but I'm playing it safe and not running this evening. Need to get the foam roller out instead as it's been seriously abandoned lately. Have a busy week so I won't get a chance to head out again until Thursday, hopefully leg is much improved by then.

Another shocking week for me, only ran twice:o

Thursday: 4.07 miles easy, 10:12/mile

Sunday: 4.59 miles easy, 10:21/Mile.

I've decided that my next race will be the Rock n Roll Dublin half marathon in August. Have picked out a 12 week training plan, starting tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Another shocking week for me, only ran twice:o

Thursday: 4.07 miles easy, 10:12/mile

Sunday: 4.59 miles easy, 10:21/Mile.

I've decided that my next race will be the Rock n Roll Dublin half marathon in August. Have picked out a 12 week training plan, starting tomorrow!

Quad/IT ok C? If not, you're better off easing back into it gradually anyway.

I'm signed up for R'n'R HM as well. I'd forgotten it was "only" 12 weeks away, absorbed as I am with DCM 2017 matters :eek:

Quad/IT ok C? If not, you're better off easing back into it gradually anyway.

I'm signed up for R'n'R HM as well. I'd forgotten it was "only" 12 weeks away, absorbed as I am with DCM 2017 matters :eek:

Yes, leg is feeling better now thanks! It felt fine during this week's two runs although I really have to cop myself on with the foam rolling/massaging if I want it to stay that way:o

You certainly have your hands full but you'll have those novices flying past the finish line:D Roll on August!

I've finally gotten back into the swing of things :)

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 1

Monday: 3x8mins threshold, 2 mins recovery between each set, 3.99 miles. Found this tough! Face resembled a beetroot by the end.

Tuesday: 45mins very easy, 4.15miles at 10:51/mile.

Wednesday: 3x8mins hills, 3 mins recovery between each. 4.29 miles total. Each set of 8 mins covered 0.98, 0.99 and 0.98 miles. Another tough one, very warm.

Saturday: 90 mins easy. 8.85miles at 10:10/mile. Absolutely lashed rain for this entire run, a lot different to conditions on the week's previous runs. If I'd been out any longer I think chafing would've been a problem.

Sunday: 30 mins recovery, 2.68miles at 11:30/mile.

Total weekly mileage: 23.96 miles.

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 2

Monday: 3x10mins threshold, 2 mins recovery between each set, 4.6 miles. Covered 1.29 miles, 1.33miles and 1.31miles in the 3 sets of 10 mins.

Tuesday: 45mins very easy, 4.03miles at 11:10/mile.

Thursday: 3x10mins hills, 2 mins recovery between each. 5 miles total. Each set of 10 mins covered 1.15, 1.19 and 1.23 miles. Didn't find this as tough as last week's equivalent run, there was a nice drizzle which probably helped.

Saturday: 1hr45mins easy. 10.32miles at 10:11/mile. Ran towards poolbeg lighthouse, my favourite route.

Total weekly mileage: 23.95 miles.

Have to head out soon for 3x12mins threshold. Drank too much last night and now all I want to do is hide under a blanket and not run:(:(:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cue lighthouse envy. :p

You should drive out to Sandymount some time and do the run to the lighthouse! Can't believe I've lived in Dublin my whole life and never knew it existed until going a little bit further on a run one day:o

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 3

Monday: 3x12mins threshold, 3 mins recovery between each set, 5.31 miles. Covered 1.52 miles, 1.52miles and 1.55miles in the 3 sets of 12 mins. This was one of the worst runs of my life, was hungover to bits and really really didn't want to head out for this. During the 3 mins recovery sets I ended up just sitting down on a curb in the pissing rain, couldn't even manage a slow walk, must've looked a right eejit to passing traffic but I was delighted to see the rain.

Tuesday: 60mins very easy, 5.36miles at 11:12/mile.

Thursday: 3x12mins hills, 3 mins recovery between each. 5.72 miles total. Each set of 12 mins covered 1.46, 1.46 and 1.47 miles. More rain and unfortunately the ground on part of the hill was quite slippy so that slowed me down a bit.

Saturday: 1hr45mins easy. 10.31miles at 10:12/mile. Felt quite lethargic for the first half, was with the wind for the second half so wasn't as bad.

Sunday: 30 mins recovery, 2.68miles at 11:12/mile.

Total weekly mileage: 29.38 miles.

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 4

Monday: 2x15mins threshold, 2 mins recovery between each set, 4.82 miles total. Covered 1.93 miles and 1.94 miles in the 2 sets.

Tuesday: 60mins very easy, 5.50miles at 10:56/mile.

Thursday: 2x15mins hills, 3 mins recovery between each. 4.85miles total. Sets of 15 mins covered 1.81 and 1.84 miles. Almost skipped this run. Had a late night Wednesday night and was woken very early Thursday morning by my housemate's alarm clock so I felt exhausted all day in work :mad: But was glad I did it. More rain, it always seems to rain during my hill runs.

Saturday: 2hrs easy. 11.36miles at 10:34/mile. Had planned on getting up early to do this in order to avoid the forecasted heat but that never happened so went out at probably the hottest time of the day :rolleyes: It was sweltering and we stopped twice to buy water.

Week 4 total mileage: 26.53 miles.

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 5

Monday: 3x5mins threshold, 1 mins recovery between each set, 3.22 miles total. Covered 0.39, 0.39, 0.40, 0.42 and 0.40 miles in each of the 5 sets.

Wednesday: 45mins very easy, 4.13miles at 10:54/mile. Hottest day of the year so far. Ran past a guy sitting in the canal, he smelled bad.

Thursday: 6x60seconds hill sprints. 3.09miles total. Wasn't sure how much of a recovery to take between each sprint so just jogged very slowly back down the hill before sprinting up again. In each 60sec set I covered 0.14miles.

Saturday: 90mins easy. 8.73miles at 10:19/mile. Stupidly didn't bring any money as I didn't think it was that warm out. Was so unbelievably thirsty for the last few miles :o

Sunday: 30 mins recovery. 2.64 miles at 11:22/mile.

This week was a bit of a step-back week. Good timing with the weather being so muggy. Total mileage: 21.81 miles.

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 6

Monday: 4x5mins threshold+, 2 mins recovery between each set, 4.05 miles total. Covered 0.68, 0.68, 0.70 and 0.71 miles in each of the 4 sets.

Wednesday: 60mins very easy, 5.50miles at 10:59/mile.

Thursday: 8x60seconds intervals, 1 min recovery between each. 0.15, 0.14, 0.14, 0.14, 0.16, 0.15, 0.16 and 0.16 miles covered in each interval. 3.32miles total including warmup/cooldown.

Saturday: 120mins easy. 11.05miles at 10:52/mile. Didn't get a great nights sleep on Friday night so was a bit slower than usual on this run.

Legs were quite sore Saturday evening so skipped a recovery run today.
    Half way through the training plan already!
    Total mileage for the week: 23.92 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How you finding this plan compared to others you've done? August is your third Half, yeah?

I'm not strictly following a plan:o Have sort of combined a couple of plans as I wanted to do the session runs from one plan but didn't think that plan's long runs were long enough. Also added in a 4th very easy paced run. Other than a bit of an injury last week it's been tough but good, the hills and threshold runs have been a bit painful but sure that's good for me!

It'll technically be my 4th but my 3rd time racing a half cos I don't really count the Dublin half last September as I ran it at a comfortable pace so never really felt the pain.

Have you decided what your next race will be?

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training week 7

Monday: 4x6mins threshold+, 2 mins recovery between each set, 4.55 miles total. Covered 0.81, 0.78, 0.81 and 0.81 miles in each of the 4 sets.

Tuesday: 30mins very easy, 2.47miles at 12:09/mile. This was a bit of a disaster. Was supposed to do 60mins but my leg was feeling sore from yesterday's run. No sign of it easing off so cut the run short.

Wednesday: Leg was pretty sore just walking around that day. Was supposed to do intervals but didn't think that would be wise. Went for a cycle on my rickety bike instead.

Thursday: Leg still not right. Decided to do another cycle, up towards Dundrum as it's quite hilly and then back home through Clonskeagh. Pushed myself here so could really feel the burn on the hills.

Friday: Was heading away for the weekend on Saturday morning so it was now or never for my long run. Decided I'd see how the leg was feeling and turn back if required. Managed the full 1hr45mins, leg wasn't 100% but not too bad either. 9.70 miles at 10:50/mile.

Total mileage for the week: 16.72 miles:(

Bit of a disastrous week. Leg is feeling ok today though, doesn't feel sore when I walk around anymore. Was meant to test it out today but started to feel ill at work in the afternoon so went straight to bed when I got home. I'm heading away again on Friday afternoon and the running gear is staying at home so I somehow have to fit 4 runs into the next 3 evenings which obviously isnt gonna happen. Not sure which run to skip. Oh the guilt:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Bit of a disastrous week. Leg is feeling ok today though, doesn't feel sore when I walk around anymore. Was meant to test it out today but started to feel ill at work in the afternoon so went straight to bed when I got home. I'm heading away again on Friday afternoon and the running gear is staying at home so I somehow have to fit 4 runs into the next 3 evenings which obviously isnt gonna happen. Not sure which run to skip. Oh the guilt:o

Pick one and skip it. :) In fact, pick 2 and skip both. Former and current mentors would suggest to not try and make up for lost time.

Make sure you're fully back from injury and illness, trying to run too much over the next few days will be the key ingredients for a recipe for disaster.

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training weeks 8 and 9

Tuesday 11th: 5x6mins threshold+, 2 mins recovery between each set, 5.45 miles total. Covered 0.80, 0.79, 0.81, 0.80 and 0.81 miles in each of the 5 sets.
    Leg started to feel sore again towards the end so I decided to take nop's advice one step further and not run for the rest of the week.

Went out for cycles Wednesday and Thursday in an effort to maintain fitness but doubt it's the same:(
    Went away on a spa weekend, got a Swedish massage and was told my glutes are not in a good way :-/

Monday 17th: 30mins very easy, 2.43miles at 12:22/mile. Leg still not 100% so decided to take more time off.

Cycled again Tuesday and Wednesday. Actually quite enjoying the cycles. Would probably enjoy them more if I'd a less heavy bike.

Saturday 22nd: 70 mins easy, 6.66miles at 10:31/mile. Leg was feeling ok and no soreness afterwards and for the rest of the day.

Fairly shocking two weeks. Saturday's run seemed quite positive though so going to try get back into my plan this week and see how it goes. Only 3 weeks til the half marathon so time is not on my side. I have yet to actually sign up for it so if the worst comes to the worst I'll skip it. Hoping it doesn't come to that.

Rock 'n' Roll half marathon 2017 training weeks 8 and 9

Tuesday 11th: 5x6mins threshold+, 2 mins recovery between each set, 5.45 miles total. Covered 0.80, 0.79, 0.81, 0.80 and 0.81 miles in each of the 5 sets.
    Leg started to feel sore again towards the end so I decided to take nop's advice one step further and not run for the rest of the week.

Went out for cycles Wednesday and Thursday in an effort to maintain fitness but doubt it's the same:(
    Went away on a spa weekend, got a Swedish massage and was told my glutes are not in a good way :-/

Monday 17th: 30mins very easy, 2.43miles at 12:22/mile. Leg still not 100% so decided to take more time off.

Cycled again Tuesday and Wednesday. Actually quite enjoying the cycles. Would probably enjoy them more if I'd a less heavy bike.

Saturday: 70 mins easy, 6.66miles at 10:31/mile. Leg was feeling ok and no soreness afterwards and for the rest of the day.

Fairly shocking two weeks. Saturday's run seemed quite positive though so going to try get back into my plan this week and see how it goes. Only 3 weeks til the half marathon so time is not on my side. I have yet to actually sign up for it so if the worst comes to the worst I'll skip it. Hoping it doesn't come to that.

Don't give up on this one yet C, you're still getting sessions done, soreness notwithstanding. Maybe revise the targets downwards a tiny bit if it persists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Signing up will be great motivation. JFDI!

Don't give up on this one yet C, you're still getting sessions done, soreness notwithstanding. Maybe revise the targets downwards a tiny bit if it persists?

Thanks for the advice. My original (ambitious) plan was to go with the 1hr45 pacers for this race but will probably have to rethink that.

Singer wrote: »
    Signing up will be great motivation. JFDI!

I'm just being scabby not signing up yet, had been hoping race entry would pop up on groupon like it has in previous years, not looking likely at this stage though.
    I may have had to Google JFDI :o

• Advertisement

I may have had to Google JFDI :o

Don't worry, I had to pause slightly to interpret 'HTFU' in J's log. :pac:

Advertisement