Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still struggling with belly fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

my advice is to try a slimming world class, even 1 class where you get a little guide book, You don't have to trawl through loads of info then or use my fitness pal app
    I am currently using a combo of both
    reduce carbs try only have 2 slices of wholemeal bread a day or 2 weetabix with fruit etc
    brown rice, brown pasta, small amount of potatoes
    lots of fruit veg salads
    every meal try and make it colorful through food not sauces!
    use fry light not butter or oil
    cut the fat off meat
    if using sausages get mallows gluten free less than 5%fat
    cut the fat off rashers but again grill or fry in frylight
    eggs (great to use, omelettes, boiled eggs fried (frylight) poached, egg mayo (use lighter than light mayo in lidl or aldi)
    download slimming world app
    use that for recipes!!!! loads of them!
    or google slimming world syn free meals
    for a treat have a fibre one cake thingy (only 90 calories but high fibre)
    um babbling on here
    make soups so easy honestly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

eat less and jog jog jog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

jewels0606 wrote: »
    my advice is to try a slimming world class, even 1 class where you get a little guide book, You don't have to trawl through loads of info then or use my fitness pal app
    AnneFrank wrote: »
    eat less and jog jog jog

:rolleyes: Gawd - OP's close to being underweight - skinny fat, slimming world, starving and jogging (esp jogging - pure useless) will achieve nothing that OP wants.

Work out your desired cal intake
    MFP - work with it for a few days - it's a godsend, figure out your macros - 40/40/20 as a rough guide for toning, stick these into MFP as your fitness goals.
    Full body HiiT to burn fat (include some ab work) and stimulate the body.
    Weights to fill it out. Shimples.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am currently using a combo of both
    reduce carbs try only have 2 slices of wholemeal bread a day or 2 weetabix with fruit etc
    brown rice, brown pasta, small amount of potatoes
    lots of fruit veg salads

Reduce carbs? Isn't brown rice, brown pasta, potatoes and lots of fruit still a load of carbs? You would be better keeping the fat on the meat and ditching the brown rice and pasta if you want to go low carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

I used to jog a lot and was a tubby teddy.

Switched to weights, HIIT stuff and walking and Leaned down significantly. Obviously watched the food intake too.

Only a matter of time now before I'm eligible for the cover of men's health magazine.

• Advertisement

Reduce carbs? Isn't brown rice, brown pasta, potatoes and lots of fruit still a load of carbs? You would be better keeping the fat on the meat and ditching the brown rice and pasta if you want to go low carb.
    Yeah they're all carbs
    I should have said reduce the amount of carbs. I didn't mean to cut them out altogether
    I tried that for a week
    I lost 8 lb but I was a cranky biatch lol
    Tired sluggish cranky etc
    Not healthy to cut all carbs but reduce them
    Fruit aren't carbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Fruit aren't carbs?
    Yes, fruit are carbs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Dtp1979 is an inspiration to me. We can all do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah they're all carbs
    I should have said reduce the amount of carbs. I didn't mean to cut them out altogether
    I tried that for a week
    I lost 8 lb but I was a cranky biatch lol
    Tired sluggish cranky etc
    Not healthy to cut all carbs but reduce them
    Fruit aren't carbs?
    You probably heard that low carb makes you cranky, and subconsciously used that as an excuse to be a cranky biatch.
    You diet was low fat, not low or reduced carb. Fruit are all carbohydrate, very little fat or protein

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

We're talking Slimming World here; there is only a loose connection to the real world involved. Personally I disagree with their low fat approach.

All I ever hear from people in Slimming World is A) Excitement over losing half a pound that was probably water, or B) Miserable self pity over not having transformed in a week. It's another over-simplified 'diet programme' for people disinterested in learning real nutrition.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    You probably heard that low carb makes you cranky, and subconsciously used that as an excuse to be a cranky biatch.
    You diet was low fat, not low or reduced carb. Fruit are all carbohydrate, very little fat or protein

No I tried to survive on eggs, salad, cold lean meat and veg but only ate 3 times a day and small portions
    wouldn't allow myself cereal or carbs or fruit and I was seriously cranky cos I was hungry and had no energy, all I wanted to do was sleep and everything was an effort including keeping my mood in check :)
    but look I learnt the hard way there
    Now I am walking minimum of 5 k a day and doing the high intensity spurts thing in that, and using SW APP and Myfitnesspal app, and losing 1-2 lb a week but feel great
    always ate loads of veg and fruit and cooked etc, but I loved bread butter and sauces too much, plus I am a chocaholic :-)
    But look different ways work fr different people depending on their likes dislikes, lifestyles etc and who are we to knock someone else if it's working for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 is an inspiration to me. We can all do it.

Hey re reg are you still trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Carbs are not the problem, the problem is too many carbs that then are not used by the body at the time and are turned then into fat.

If your feeling dizzy then your glucose level is low, which isn't good either.

It's a fine balance with carbs, overshoot them and you'll feel tired/lazy.

Undershoot them you'll feel tired.

The ideal thing really is to just top them up, once you feel that tiredness coming on, so to top up or prop up the glucose level, but don't over do it.

It's more work this way but better than low or no carb diets as you need carbs there's no ifs or buts about that, or your body will start breaking down muscle and using the protein so a food source after fat or which ever is easiest at the time.

Fruit will break down quicker as it's a simple sugar something like porridge will take longer as its complex.

I'd go with a piece of fruit and some protein to top you up.

That's just my amateur option on it, there are professionals that can advise you.

But to be honest, everyone's body is different and will reactive differently, so you'll need to experiment with what works for you and what doesn't, it takes time and you'll eventually reach a point of balance between, energy in and out without any negatives like tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

No I tried to survive on eggs, salad, cold lean meat and veg but only ate 3 times a day and small portions
    wouldn't allow myself cereal or carbs or fruit and I was seriously cranky cos I was hungry and had no energy, all I wanted to do was sleep and everything was an effort including keeping my mood in check :)
    but look I learnt the hard way there
    Now I am walking minimum of 5 k a day and doing the high intensity spurts thing in that, and using SW APP and Myfitnesspal app, and losing 1-2 lb a week but feel great
    always ate loads of veg and fruit and cooked etc, but I loved bread butter and sauces too much, plus I am a chocaholic :-)
    But look different ways work fr different people depending on their likes dislikes, lifestyles etc and who are we to knock someone else if it's working for them :)
    "But look different ways work fr different people depending on their likes dislikes, lifestyles etc and who are we to knock someone else if it's working for them"

Ive a massive issue with this statement.

Reason - its NOT about whats "working for them", its about whats sustainable. Getting someone to e.g. eat 1000cals per day regardless of macro breakdown will "work" but no way in hell is it sustainable. Eating very low carb will "work" when someone is coming from a place where their diet was a car crash but is it sustainable when it has you eating far far below the levels that would be needed to create a calorie deficit?

Whats sustainable is calc calorie needs based on activity, workout your macros and then stick to it.

The use of weight training and properly structured training will make the nutrition end of things far more manageable if done correctly

TallGlass wrote: »
    Carbs are not the problem, the problem is too many carbs that then are not used by the body at the time and are turned then into fat.

The end results is the same, but the body is unlikely to not use carbs and turn them into fat.
    Much easier to use the carbs that are to many, an store fat as body fat.
    It's just much easier and efficient, which also means there's no energy used converting and more fat to store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The end results is the same, but the body is unlikely to not use carbs and turn them into fat.
    Much easier to use the carbs that are to many, an store fat as body fat.
    It's just much easier and efficient, which also means there's no energy used converting and more fat to store

It's worth mentioning also then that no matter how much you cut your diet back you body will always give a % to store as fat, it's just what it does. Fat, so to speak isn't an enemy of the body (depending on type!) again it's excess fat that's the problem here. Like carbs, you need fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Looking at the photo and considering your weight loss, I'd wonder is that's loose skin rather than just fat?

TallGlass wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning also then that no matter how much you cut your diet back you body will always give a % to store as fat, it's just what it does.
    Unless in misunderstanding you, that doesn't sound right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

elusiveguy wrote:
    Looking at the photo and considering your weight loss, I'd wonder is that's loose skin rather than just fat?

Thinking the same looking at your photo, you look great OP well done on the weight loss!! I wouldn't suggest loosing any more weight, 12 stone at 5'11" is light, while you are enjoying the weights lifting, I would concentrate on getting more protein into you daily and some carbs to maintain the weight you are at and keeping up the weights! It might take a while for the elasticity to come back to your skin on your stomach or it might just be something you have for always.. but think positive OP.. think of how good you look now compared to 7 stone heavier.. you should be very proud of yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Hey OP I was hesitant to offer advice, you've had so much great help. All I can say is I also lost a lot of weight (13st 5lb  to 9st 10) at 5ft8 and although I dieted carefully and lifted weights throughout, and although I looked like a stick at the end of it, I still had a soft looking belly poking out. Genetically, it's just where my weight goes, butI got to a point where I just was looking too thin, especially my arms and ribs. Now I've reversed out of my calorie deficit, and am eating way more, and gaining lots of strength and size. I've put on a bit of belly fat for sure, but I've also put on loads of muscle in my legs and arms which helps balance out my physique. I'm not worried about a number on the scales, I'm being oh-so-vain and more concerned with appearance, and with strength! So I've scrapped the idea of ever having no belly and am just trying to build up the rest of my body, and it seems to be working. Even bodybuilders (and I follow a lot of them on instagram) struggle with the last bit of belly fat, I think unless you're really going to follow a strict nutritional plan and exercise program mixing weights and tailored cardio, you're going to drive yourself mad trying to do this while eating 'normally'. I am enjoying eating normal foods and being in pretty decent shape, my perception of what I thought I could achieve was probably a bit off and now that I see gains in other areas the belly definitely bothers me less. When I get to a weight where I can afford to cut again, I might, but for now I'm just accepting it as a slight imperfection. I didn't mind dieting at all, my energy was pretty good and I have no problem sticking to low cals, but it's definitely more fun to watch the progress in the other direction knowing you can always cut back if necessary. Once you're at that light end of the right weight for your height, you've very little place left to go! Maybe consider upping your calories a little to your maintenance level or just above and continuing to lift (progressively) and see what happens. I empathise so much with you but I hesitated to post anyway, everyone is so different I just wanted to share my perspective. Best of luck and above all, a huge well done on everything you've achieved so far!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Weighed myself this morning for the first time in ages

I was exactly 12 stone , not happy about this because I'm way below what I should be and still no change.

Where do I go from here , picture attached

That's not belly fat,it's a tiny bit of loose skin.

I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest...enjoy your life,you've done brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

MysticMonk wrote: »
    That's not belly fat,it's a tiny bit of loose skin.

I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest...enjoy your life,you've done brilliantly.

Thanks man. But I've gotten this far now I may aswel finish it off, its one of the things that will make me happy so why not

I joined the gym since and have being doing my workout properly but I still have the belly due to not eating clean

I do running on treadmills at least twice a week as well but I just end up eating all around me to cancel it all out.

I know he have told me all before but I just need to know again , in order for me to lose the belly while still doing my programme how many calories should I be taking in a day ? I'm 13stone most days and 5'11
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I joined the gym since and have being doing my workout properly but I still have the belly due to not eating clean

I do running on treadmills at least twice a week as well but I just end up eating all around me to cancel it all out.

I know he have told me all before but I just need to know again , in order for me to lose the belly while still doing my programme how many calories should I be taking in a day ? I'm 13stone most days and 5'11
    Cheers

How many calories are you taking in on an average day now?

1800 cals, give or take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I don't know, I think you look good in your picture, and 13 stone is not at all heavy for almost 6 foot. You could make yourself sick by being too hung up on food and training with a deficit. It's possible it's a wee bit of loose skin because you dropped significant weight, and it will most likely go away after a while. But then I don't really feel that a bit of a belly is something to be ashamed of...i was in Bulgaria for a while this summer and the guys there love their beer and bread and even the super hot ones on the beaches all had a little bit of a soft belly. I may be mad but I found it endearing and adorable. I'm sure someone loves you even with your tiny bit of a belly, OP, so don't stress about it too much. You should be proud of what you have already achieved.

How many calories are you taking in on an average day now?

I could take in 1500 one day and 3000 the next. My eating is all over the shop , I'm up and down a few pounds every weeek

1800 cals, give or take

Cheers Il try to stay as close to that as possible see how I get on

Malayalam wrote: »
    I don't know, I think you look good in your picture, and 13 stone is not at all heavy for almost 6 foot. You could make yourself sick by being too hung up on food and training with a deficit. It's possible it's a wee bit of loose skin because you dropped significant weight, and it will most likely go away after a while. But then I don't really feel that a bit of a belly is something to be ashamed of...i was in Bulgaria for a while this summer and the guys there love their beer and bread and even the super hot ones on the beaches all had a little bit of a soft belly. I may be mad but I found it endearing and adorable. I'm sure someone loves you even with your tiny bit of a belly, OP, so don't stress about it too much. You should be proud of what you have already achieved.

Thanks . I know it's no big deal really but would just love to have it right.

I've been getting bad dixzy spells on and off with the last 3 weeks and I'm starting to wonder if it's to do with my eating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I could take in 1500 one day and 3000 the next. My eating is all over the shop , I'm up and down a few pounds every weeek

Are you tracking it diligently?

The answer is to look at your average, get your average down and see how that's reflected in the scales. Amend intake as necessary.

Advertisement