Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Bright - Netflix

• 27-02-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57,060 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson

Written by Max Landis directed by David Ayer and starring Will Smith, Joel Edgerton, Noomi Rapace & Edgar Ramírez coming to Netflix.

Teaser.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 28,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

Hmmm, that sounds like a genuinely interesting concept, but the double whammy of Max Landis AND David Ayer makes me more than a little cautious. To be fair, while Landis' adaptation of Dirk Gently was pretty polarising, I myself enjoyed it a lot & would probably give the writer the benefit of the doubt. Ayer though. Blergh.

The old board/video game Shadowrun notwithstanding, I'm surprised more use hasn't been made of transplanting the high fantasy races into a modern setting before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭ kunst nugget

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, that sounds like a genuinely interesting concept, but the double whammy of Max Landis AND David Ayer makes me more than a little cautious. To be fair, while Landis' adaptation of Dirk Gently was pretty polarising, I myself enjoyed it a lot & would probably give the writer the benefit of the doubt. Ayer though. Blergh.

Will Smith would put me off more at this stage… can't remember the last movie that I enjoyed with him in it. I like Dirk Gently but I had no preconceptions going into it and I enjoyed Training Day, End of Watch and Fury so I'll be cautiously optimistic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭ Slydice

Comic Con trailer

Not bad..

Will Smith playing Will Smith then. Looks like it might be half-decent, feels like it'd be a good TV series too, maybe the film will be a jumping-off point for Netflix...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,961 ✭✭✭✭ boneyarsebogman

I was with it until I saw "Director of Suicide Squad".

What I would have loved to have seen if this had been directed by someone much better. Hell, even Guillermo del Toro!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly flash that up as something to boast about; but then presumably somebody out there likes Suicide Squad. I just don't like Ayer's movies though, he's so obsessed with this macho, swaggering tone it gets in the way of his films half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 57,060 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson

Looks good.

Can't help think of Alien Nation watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭ The_Valeyard

I like the looks of this. Could be interesting.

Final trailer it drops on the 22nd.

• Advertisement

It dropped on Netflix this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭ Unearthly

It's got panned by critics but i actually liked it. Thought the action scenes were really well done and the comedy was good. Nothing amazing but a decent watch

yikes :eek: 32% on RT and this is one of the first headlines google chooses to show me:
    "The worst movie of 2017" – Review round-up of Netflix’s original movie, Bright
    http://www.gamesradar.com/the-worst-movie-of-2017-review-round-up-of-netflixs-original-movie-bright/

Nearly the opposite of Star Wars re critic vs audience.... Critic score on RT 32 Audience score 87.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭ Varik

Liked it a lot.

Only issue was the end for me.
    Didn't like the cover up to much, what with the scumbag cops getting honoured.

Would really like to see more of this world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ judeboy101

Going to watch tonight, if I've learnt anything from star wars TLJ, critics don't know their arses from their elbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭ Hector Savage

Nice, just out on Netflix, will watch tonight ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭ Darko

Slydice wrote: »
    yikes :eek: 32% on RT and this is one of the first headlines google chooses to show me:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/the-worst-movie-of-2017-review-round-up-of-netflixs-original-movie-bright/

Click bait journalism of the worst kind, if bright is the worst film of 2017 then obviously the writer only watched a handful of film. I've yet to see Bright but am looking forward to it, it's refreshing to have a well-budgeted fantasy film that isn't based on an existing product, isn't an adaptation or remake, isn't tailored directly for as young an audience as possible and actually looks good. I'm not expecting Bright to rock the world and I dislike Landis' work but the trailer was good, the cast are great, Ayer has delivered in the past and honestly as long as it isn't just scene after scene of cheap looking CGI it may work.

Yes, please do report back.

RT seems to be having trouble aligning their reviewers and audiences with multiple scifi/superhero/fantasy shows and films

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭ kerplun k

Watched it. It’s good.

• Advertisement

Also watched it and thought it was good! :)

So like.. if ye're gonna watch this.. ye're gonna need to buy into the present day world have Orcs and Elves and magic and all that now.

Then David Ayer brings a similar cop film feel as he had in End of Watch. The story is different though and more actiony than I remember EoW being.

I didn't think it was as good as EoW.. just to be clear.

It was a cool enough take on the behaviour and what would be going on between the races and how magic is used and all that.

I liked Noomi Rapaces performance. It's good to see her in a role that plays to he strength which seems to be
    getting into action and close combat regardless of being a goodie or baddie.

One weakness I thought too much humour from Will Smith but maybe that'll be liked by more audience. It felt like maybe he had a say in ligthening up the feel of the film. I dunno.

Bar that, there was some early uses of clear spoken language as and to me it looked like that was to allow for easier translations to other languages for subbing and dubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭ Gatling

Didn't think it was too bad ,for the most part but I believe it would be better suited to a limited series ,
    Plenty of back story could be added

Langley , Virginia

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 19,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Mr.S

Slydice wrote: »

Critics are quick to bash high budget Netflix original films, as it's easy and makes for clickbait headlines. I think it's a mix of Netflix original films being generally 'meh' and a non-theatrical release is instantly marked down. Plus bad reviews for Netflix being Netflix.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Critics are quick to bash high budget Netflix original films, as it's easy and makes for clickbait headlines. I think it's a mix of Netflix original films being generally 'meh' and a non-theatrical release is instantly marked down. Plus bad reviews for Netflix being Netflix.

Same critics who booed Okja's Cannes premiere before it even started.

Don't think it matters too much, the way the worlds going their opinions don't matter any more than any one else.

Varik wrote: »
    Same critics who booed Okja's Cannes premiere before it even started.

Wasn't this mis-reported, that the boos were because the projector broke down, not because of the Netflix logo? Okja reviewed pretty well in the end iirc, and got a good public reception too (mystery Netflix viewership notwithstanding )

Wasn't this mis-reported, that the boos were because the projector broke down, not because of the Netflix logo? Okja reviewed pretty well in the end iirc, and got a good public reception too (mystery Netflix viewership notwithstanding )

Happened twice, they booed at the start when the logo appear and then later when they had to stop since someone fooked up the aspect ratio.

Varik wrote: »
    Happened twice, they booed at the start when the logo appear and then later when they had to stop since someone fooked up the aspect ratio.

Ah ok, knew there was something about the projection. That booing seems understandable anyway, but it's Cannes; the audiences boo over evvvvverything, it's a tradition / right of passage and rarely a serious protest against the target.

Something I wasn't aware of and just read in a review, was that David Ayer personally made rewrites to Max Landis' script, with Landis apparently disowning the final product. I was looking forward to this, but suddenly more cautious that this will have less of Landis' smartmouth shtick and more of Ayers chest thumping nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭ Darko

Something I wasn't aware of and just read in a review, was that David Ayer personally made rewrites to Max Landis' script, with Landis apparently disowning the final product. I was looking forward to this, but suddenly more cautious that this will have less of Landis' smartmouth shtick and more of Ayers chest thumping nonsense.

Ayer is a pretty decent writer and far better than Landis who let's be honest here is coasting by on name for the most part. Ayer has written End of Watch, Harsh Times, Fury, Training Day and Dark Blue, all of which are damn fine films with very strong scripts. Sure he has a couple of more generic action films but over all he's a far more interesting voice than a lot of what passes for Blockbuster cinema at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Sad Professor

I had it on in the background earlier. Low budget and very vulgar, but mostly harmless SyFy-esque shlock. Takes itself very seriously, nothing like American Ultra which I quite liked. It’s basically a tv movie version of Suicide Squad minus the studio interference. I can’t say the reviews are undeserved, but it is fun in places and there’s clearly a market for this kind of thing.

Advertisement