Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bright - Netflix

Options

Comments

A number of allegations of sexual assault coming out in relation to Landis. Claims that his father has in the past covered stuff up and that Dirk Gently being cancelled was as a result of a heads up that this was coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A number of allegations of sexual assault coming out in relation to Landis. Claims that his father has in the past covered stuff up and that Dirk Gently being cancelled was as a result of a heads up that this was coming.

Wait, as in Max is the perpetrator and his father covered it all up, or the other way round?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Landis covered stuff up for his son or himself?

Found these.
    Netflix.
    Hey guys, totally forgot to mention this until right now, but we made a Will Smith movie and it’s coming out in 3 hours @BrightNetflix
    Anna Akana‏Verified account
    Written by a psychopath who sexually abused and assaults women, right? Cool

https://twitter.com/AnnaAkana/status/944091631484944384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fheavy.com%2Fentertainment%2F2017%2F12%2Fmax-landis-sexual-assault-bright-writer%2F

Definitely watch that big Netflix movie coming out, written by that ****ing psychopath who is one of the worst people alive
    https://twitter.com/weismanjake/status/942874390403809280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fheavy.com%2Fentertainment%2F2017%2F12%2Fmax-landis-sexual-assault-bright-writer%2F

pixelburp wrote:
    Wait, as in Max is the perpetrator and his father covered it all up, or the other way round?

John Landis covered stuff up for his son or himself?

That's the accusation being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I watched it last night. I wouldn't call it brilliant but it wasn't bad. Worth a watch. Plenty of room for a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it felt like Alien Nation meets Training Day mixed with The 5th Element

kept expecting Tikka to say Multi-Pass!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A solid, entertaining B-movie, and exactly the kind of mid-budget, blockbuster "lite" you just don't get these days in the cinema; Smith was on autopilot with the kind of wise-cracking character he has played a dozen times before, while Edgerton came off better with an earnest, boy scout performance. You could definitely spot the Ayer rewrites in places and it made the tone distinctly inconsistent; the swaggering, generic gang & police patter exactly the kind of one-note stuff Ayer usually comes out with, bookended by the more jabbering Landis material.

The concept alone was intriguing & original enough; I'd happily spend more time in this world, although a TV spin-off feels like it would have more potential. A feature film can only ever hope to skim across the basics of this world & its alternate history, while a TV series would obviously have more room to deep-dive into all those issues of class & race that the film hinted at. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few months Netflix announce something, the film definitely gave off a distinct "to be continued..." vibe.
    Ayer is a pretty decent writer and far better than Landis who let's be honest here is coasting by on name for the most part. Ayer has written End of Watch, Harsh Times, Fury, Training Day and Dark Blue, all of which are damn fine films with very strong scripts. Sure he has a couple of more generic action films but over all he's a far more interesting voice than a lot of what passes for Blockbuster cinema at the minute.

I think both writers are guilty of being one-note to be honest: and while I've enjoyed some of Ayers films, to me there's a distinct sense of "seen one, seen 'em all" with his scripts. Sure, most writers tend to lean into certain eccentricities, styles or viewpoints, but nearly all Ayer's material has exactly the same tone - not to mention setting too. Bright being no exception. As I said above, you could really tell which parts were re-written by Ayer, because it was exactly the same kind of ... 'foxhole brotherhood' schtick he does time and time again. I did enjoy the film, but despite the LA Cop Posturing, not because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didn't know Max is John Landis son

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I found it fairly entertaining. After a shaky 15m start, it developed into fairly cop-buddy film within an urban fantasy. While not the best performance ever of Mr. Smith, he still made the outing worth watching in spite of lack of real plot, poor world building and average SFX. Hopefully the sequel will remedy these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can't see where the critics that are panning it are coming from, I found it enjoyable. As others have said before there's a world and backstory there that has plenty of potential for a TV series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Mediocre and excessively bleak film.

Edgerton is outstanding in a difficult role.

The setting is intriguing and deserves revisiting.

Just watched it and really liked it, certainly enjoyed it more then The Last Jedi and think that if you removed the fantasy elements and made it a straight cop thriller that a lot of the reviews would be far more positive. How this is being critically mauled while the rather bland Last Jedi is being celebrated by critics is beyond me. Both films have their issues but honestly Bright is the better film and at it doesn't feel like they're making it up as they go along.

It's very much and Ayer film and I'd say that bar the set up Ayer rewrote most of Landis' script. Your enjoyment of the film will depend a lot on how much you like Ayer at his most base, this is End of Watch with a twist and works far better than it should. At the very least it hinted at a rich and vibrant world through some clever world building and I'd happily sit through a sequel or a mini series. It's nice to see a blockbuster that isn't neutered so as to appeal to a PG13 audience and is more than scene after scene if CGI and bombast. I've grown tired of Marvel's cookie cutter fare and the state of modern blockbuster cinema bores me but Bright is that odd bright spot. It strives to do and say something different.

pixelburp wrote:
    The concept alone was intriguing & original enough; I'd happily spend more time in this world, although a TV spin-off feels like it would have more potential. A feature film can only ever hope to skim across the basics of this world & its alternate history, while a TV series would obviously have more room to deep-dive into all those issues of class & race that the film hinted at. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few months Netflix announce something, the film definitely gave off a distinct "to be continued..." vibe.

A sequel is already in development with the cast all signed up. If they do this right there is huge potential for spin offs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Delivered for what it is a slightly above average popcorn film. Don't see why it's getting a panning. It's a formulaic cop movie with an interesting twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Be nice to see more of the other races in a sequel, only saw the single centaur and then all the elves, humans, and orcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Loved the bit where you just see a dragon flying over L.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very enjoyable film and lots of promise for some world building via more films or tv series.

Will Smith set to return in the sequel
    “Bright” is the company’s first attempt at a big-budget Hollywood production, bringing together a bona fide movie star in a fantasy, buddy-cop tale that could have come from any studio playbook. Directed by David Ayer, who also made “Suicide Squad,” it’s a warning shot to studios and theater owners that Netflix is targeting a big chunk of the $38.6 billion global box office. To underscore the commitment, the company has already ordered a sequel with Smith signed on.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-20/netflix-attempts-a-couch-potato-blockbuster-with-sequel-on-way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hot grabage. Inspidly directed and the writing is even worse. Landis' script is hilariously terrible at times (it constantly feels like he - or Ayer, if he did indeed take over - is high-fiving himself when there's another clunky one-liner), and even at its best it's clear the actors are battling against the script's painful artifice. But Ayer's competent yet flavourless direction sometimes achieves the not inconsiderable feat of making it merely instantly forgettable rather than jaw-droppingly awful.

It should be stressed that Ayer does not, however, have anywhere the imagination or flair to bring its hybrid fantasy world to life: it's just another one of his 'gritty' cop movies, with some bad special effects and makeup to mix things up. The world is uninteresting; the situations derivative (of course they end up in a strip bar: the 'titty bar' line is a fine contender for this year's worst); the efforts at social commentary / context so misguided it's a good thing they're largely discarded around half an hour in; it's an endless parade of cop / gangster / buddy movie movie cliches; and the whole thing basically feels like a bad idea badly realised.

To end on some positive notes: Large chunks of the running time are more dull than actively annoying, but sometimes it's a bit of both. The petrol station scene was OK. A few bonus points to the effects team for the charred neon bodies.

Netflix really need to up their standards. Okja and Meyerowitz Stories were steps in the right direction: this is yet another couple back (although not quite the crushing disappointment / sacrilege Blame! was).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Very enjoyable film and lots of promise for some world building via more films or tv series.

Will Smith set to return in the sequel

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-20/netflix-attempts-a-couch-potato-blockbuster-with-sequel-on-way

Turn around will hopefully be quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I loved it and i would certainly rather some thing like this than some thing like Okja about animal cruelty and such .......

Really solid film very like Training Day meets Lord of the Rings , would love to see more of it and delighted the sequel has been greenlit, didn't recognise Joel Edgerton at all ,he's story was fantastic ...Great job netflix more please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Hot grabage. Inspidly directed and the writing is even worse. Landis' script is hilariously terrible at times (it constantly feels like he - or Ayer, if he did indeed take over - is high-fiving himself when there's another clunky one-liner), and even at its best it's clear the actors are battling against the script's painful artifice. But Ayer's competent yet flavourless direction sometimes achieves the not inconsiderable feat of making it merely instantly forgettable rather than jaw-droppingly awful.

It should be stressed that Ayer does not, however, have anywhere the imagination or flair to bring its hybrid fantasy world to life: it's just another one of his 'gritty' cop movies, with some bad special effects and makeup to mix things up. The world is uninteresting; the situations derivative (of course they end up in a strip bar: the 'titty bar' line is a fine contender for this year's worst); the efforts at social commentary / context so misguided it's a good thing they're largely discarded around half an hour in; it's an endless parade of cop / gangster / buddy movie movie cliches; and the whole thing basically feels like a bad idea badly realised.

To end on some positive notes: Large chunks of the running time are more dull than actively annoying, but sometimes it's a bit of both. The petrol station scene was OK. A few bonus points to the effects team for the charred neon bodies.

Netflix really need to up their standards. Okja and Meyerowitz Stories were steps in the right direction: this is yet another couple back (although not quite the crushing disappointment / sacrilege Blame! was).

no offense but your not exactly the target audience for this film.
    going by alot of your posts in general terms your not a blockbuster kind of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I enjoyed it. Thank funk there wasn't any magic all-powerful wizards with awesome beards :P

Heck, so far it's better than Dunkirk or the new Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Watched it last night, utter shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I really enjoyed it. Plenty of action a few funny bits. It just an easy watching movie really is a cross between Training Day and LOTR. I'm glad there's a sequel coming but I'd like to see a prequel of how the world got to that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I hardly ever saw a movie to divide opinion so vehemently. That's it! I'm watching it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

jcd5971 wrote: »
    no offense but your not exactly the target audience for this film.
    going by alot of your posts in general terms your not a blockbuster kind of guy.

If it was Korean/subtitled he'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Watched it over xmas, I thought it was average, hopefully the sequel will move the story past the formulaic cop part as on a whole it shows some good potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I feel it would be better as a series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

longshanks wrote: »
    If it was Korean/subtitled he'd love it.

It was no great film by any stretch of the imagination, a passable film i'd probably watch it again if it was on tv some night. Personally i'd give it a 6/10 twas grand I did enjoy the world but did find it a bit stereotyped.

I just dont get the movie buffs(snobs) though a film like a die hard or expendables or john wick or even pacific rim get slated by them.

but throw anything weird together in korean/subtitled/foreign/indie type film and its a cinematic masterpiece.

I know a few fellas like that who were always banging on about old boy as this great film... watched it twas pure ****e.

Advertisement