Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If money is an issue, wait for the Family Tree DNA offers. They are cheaper than Ancestry and you can still use gedmatch to compare to other companies results.

You won't have any shortage of cousins if you use your DNA. Your Dad's DNA is not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I did a MyHeritage DNA test, and the result was mildly interesting (to me). No close matches as of yet, but I didn't really expect any.

My mother is in her 80s and I was wondering if there is any major reason to get a DNA test for her - she's not getting any younger. I know we only get a portion of our parents DNA so I was thinking it might be useful to show up matches that don't apply to me. In addition, I was thinking it might narrow down whether ethnicities in my results come from her or my (deceased) father - for example, I'm allegedly 3.6% Eastern European, which sounds odd.

Possible reasons against? The cost, obviously, unless the benefits outweigh it. Also that it might be an invasion of my mother's privacy. While she's mildly interested in my genealogical findings, she would only do the test to please me, not out of any interest herself.

Have any of you tested other family members too? Also, as I did mine on MyHeritage, am I better off sticking with them if I proceeded, to ensure consistency of results? I could imagine if I did another test myself with a different provider, my own DNA could be reported as being different. MyHeritage are having an Easter sale at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I was very sorry that I didn't get my mother tested before she died. Do it soon!

I would think that your mum might be more interested in her own matches and genealogy if tested. You can upload her MyHeritage results to Gedmatch and probably FTDNA so I don't see a problem with using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

p15574 wrote: »
    I did a MyHeritage DNA test, and the result was mildly interesting (to me). No close matches as of yet, but I didn't really expect any.

My mother is in her 80s and I was wondering if there is any major reason to get a DNA test for her ...
    I would do it. I tested my mother, my maternal aunt, my brother and myself. My mother's and aunt's test kits have been extremely helpful in my research.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Definitely test your mother, and do it on a different site, so you get different results. FTDNA has the most Irish people in it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Isn't it worth testing something like a second or third cousin at the same company? That way you can compare matches you have in common and as the common ancestor is a few generations back you can then get a better idea of how people are related to you (or not).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I tested myself and my mother and a paternal cousin of my late father and a maternal cousin of my late father. All with FTDNA.

GEDMatch allowed me to 'recreate' a DNA profile for my father, using mine and my mother's. I know it's not the same as if we could have tested him, but it certainly 'behaves' correctly, matching with known tested American cousins.

You can put every company's results on to Gedmatch and use it compare. Ancestry has no chromosome browser but FTDNA and Gedmatch do.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

spurious wrote: »
    GEDMatch allowed me to 'recreate' a DNA profile for my father, using mine and my mother's. I know it's not the same as if we could have tested him, but it certainly 'behaves' correctly, matching with known tested American cousins.
    Spurious, Boards.ie's mutant test-tube DNA baby!:)

I also did a lazarus kit for my father - produced matches that his sister and I don't have which don't come from my other side.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

This is a question about DNA tests and privacy. I did the Ancestry test last year to see what it would show about my ethnicity. No surprises. I have many matches but found only one that led to interesting new non-DNA info--found my great-grandfather's long-lost brother.

I just bought the FTDNA tests, autosomal and mtDNA. But I am concerned about sharing my name and email with who-knows-who. With Ancestry, contact is all done thru them and is anonymous until you both decide to share names and emails, my preference. With FTDNA, there is no such privacy layer. But I bought the FTDNA tests, hoping to find living distant cousins in Ireland or wherever so we can share info. I can't decide what to do.

Has anyone here shared their names and emails, sight unseen, with strangers on FTDNA? Any experiences to share, good or bad?

There's no point in doing DNA testing if you're not going to divulge your real name and details.

Universally good experiences so far having tested on FTDNA, Ancestry and uploaded to Gedmatch.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

VirginiaB wrote: »
    This is a question about DNA tests and privacy. I did the Ancestry test last year to see what it would show about my ethnicity. No surprises. I have many matches but found only one that led to interesting new non-DNA info--found my great-grandfather's long-lost brother.

I just bought the FTDNA tests, autosomal and mtDNA. But I am concerned about sharing my name and email with who-knows-who. With Ancestry, contact is all done thru them and is anonymous until you both decide to share names and emails, my preference. With FTDNA, there is no such privacy layer. But I bought the FTDNA tests, hoping to find living distant cousins in Ireland or wherever so we can share info. I can't decide what to do.

Has anyone here shared their names and emails, sight unseen, with strangers on FTDNA? Any experiences to share, good or bad?

Haven't had any adverse experiences, you could always set up a dummy email just for DNA research purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

Ipso wrote: »
    Haven't had any adverse experiences, you could always set up a dummy email just for DNA research purposes.

Agreed. Set up a gmail or other free account exclusively for this use. I see loads of them like "mark_lookingforcousins@gmail.com" that kind of thing. I think putting in a first name personalizes it a bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

Ipso wrote: »

Agreed. Set up a gmail or other free account exclusively for this use. I see loads of them like "mark_lookingforcousins@gmail.com" that kind of thing. I think putting in a first name personalizes it a bit as well.
    All positive here. Having a separate email account makes it easier to keep track of DNA correspondence. 
    If you decide to upload your results to GEDmatch, I think having a relevant surname or location in the email address helps people looking down a long list of matches there.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks for all the input. Glad you have had positive experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I recently received ancestry results from DNA Ireland.

I have my mtDNA markers and Y-STR results. All sites seem to require raw dna data files to upload. I'm not sure how I can do this. I just received the tables on a pdf and have no idea how to start looking for matches with this data or is it possible at all does anyone know. Sorry if this is too vague.

AFAIK Gedmatch only accepts autosomal DNA test results.

Haven't heard of DNA Ireland. Are they a new company?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Haven't heard of DNA Ireland. Are they a new company?
    According to their website, it seems that they are mostly focused on paternity testing. See http://www.dnaireland.ie/dna-testing/

• Advertisement

Very expensive too!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I could be wrong but I think 'DNA Ireland' was originally a reseller for FTDNA, if that is the case there should be a FTDNA kit number associated with results and you should be able to request that. Once you have the kit details you can log into FTDNA and see stuff like matches etc. However they might be using a seperate lab now, either way the claim of been a "National DNA testing service" is spurious if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I have a DNA kit which needs to be shipped back to the USA for analysis.

Is there anything specific that I need to be concerned about with sending this (saliva sample) from Ireland to the US? I think i will need to fill out a CN22 customs declaration form when I go to the post office?

I have a DNA kit which needs to be shipped back to the USA for analysis.

Is there anything specific that I need to be concerned about with sending this (saliva sample) from Ireland to the US? I think i will need to fill out a CN22 customs declaration form when I go to the post office?
    Who did you test with? If it's an Ancestry test you can just send to HQ in Dublin.

leck wrote: »
    Who did you test with? If it's an Ancestry test you can just send to HQ in Dublin.

It's with a company called Athletigen
    The test is used to analyse markers related to health, diet, fitness, sleep etc. rather than genealogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

A bolshie postal clerk refused my FTDNA sample across the counter, so I bought the stamps in another PO and posted it in a pillar box.

Have always just bought stamps and put in the regular post for FTDNA. Ancestry's is a prepaid envelope. Have never heard of this other company so have no particular advice.

Genealogy Forum Mod

tabbey wrote: »
    A bolshie postal clerk refused my FTDNA sample across the counter, so I bought the stamps in another PO and posted it in a pillar box.
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    Have always just bought stamps and put in the regular post for FTDNA. Ancestry's is a prepaid envelope. Have never heard of this other company so have no particular advice.

Thanks for the advice. So it sounds like the best approach is just to buy stamps and put it in the post myself. How did you work out the value of stamps to buy? The An Post Calculator?

I just put the standard €1.50 on it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    I match with a lady from with nearly 100cMs and we have yet to figure out how we connect. I have a 48cMs segment match with her on Ch2. I have lots of shared matches with her on Gedmatch and MyHeritage. Most of the shared matches triangulate on Ch2. I have contacted some of them but most have no known Irish ancestors. According to my 100cMs match, her only Irish ancestor was already in the US by late 1700s. The strong match would appear to rule out a match with an ancestor of over 250 yrs ago but maybe not? Or could she have another Irish ancestor that she doesn't know about, NPE or could it be a false match? Any ideas?

Advertisement