Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop signing me out!

Options
  • 23-02-2017 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

This is the feedback forum so here is some feedback!

Its getting on my tits having to sign back in. I don't understand why this was implemented? I think the vast majority of people on here would have their username and password saved on their device anyway so as a security measure i doubt it is that affective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What? It is a security measure? Darn tootin' it is not effective because it doesn't happen to me. I maybe get signed out of a device once every three or four weeks. But that's about it.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hmmm, I can't say I've had any issues like this. Just to double check, have you ticked the Remember Me box on the sign in screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I regularly get this too. Mostly on mobile where it's every week or two, but numerous times on the main site without doing anything to have caused it and doesn't happen on other sites.. It's just random, and annoying as hell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's been an issue for me on my phone for quite some time, but I always suspected it was following an update to the browser I use (Dolphin on Android 7.0) rather than Boards itself. But if others are having the issue, maybe it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Happens to me too but only about every 3/4 weeks

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Can people let me know what OS and browser they are using? Thanks.

Boards.ie Employee

Moving to Site Development. The initial post might have been Feedback, but as we're not doing to Slideways alone or deliberately it's a tech issue :)

Zaph wrote: »
    It's been an issue for me on my phone for quite some time, but I always suspected it was following an update to the browser I use (Dolphin on Android 7.0) rather than Boards itself. But if others are having the issue, maybe it isn't.

It doesn't seem to happen with any other site I'm logged into, and considering it happens on both mobile and computer, it has to be something on Boards itself.
    Can people let me know what OS and browser they are using? Thanks.

Computer, Chrome Windows 10
    Android, Chrome browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Just to try and clarify things a bit,

If you sign into Boards with your username/password combination and select the 'Stay logged in' checkbox then that login will remain valid for four weeks from the time of login. Assuming of course that your browser accepts cookies and you do not clear your cookies in the space of that four weeks. Once that four week time period expires you will then have to log in again.

If you sign in via any of the Social Media links - Twitter/FB/Google+ or you do not select the 'Stay logged in' checkbox while logging in with your username/password then you will be logged back out once your session expires. Typically this is after roughly 20 minutes of inactivity.

Just to try and clarify things a bit,

If you sign into Boards with your username/password combination and select the 'Stay logged in' checkbox then that login will remain valid for four weeks from the time of login. Assuming of course that your browser accepts cookies and you do not clear your cookies in the space of that four weeks. Once that four week time period expires you will then have to log in again.

If you sign in via any of the Social Media links - Twitter/FB/Google+ or you do not select the 'Stay logged in' checkbox while logging in with your username/password then you will be logged back out once your session expires. Typically this is after roughly 20 minutes of inactivity.

Why four weeks? I don't see that happen on any other site.

And is that also for the mobile site? Because I definitely feel like I get signed out more than every four weeks on the mobile site, and it doesn't sign me out of other websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hey Ronan

Just to explain what happens to me, and this only happens on my phone, I've no problems with my PC. If I login with my username and password (I've never logged in via social media) with the stay logged in box checked, if I close the browser I need to go through the whole login process again when I re-open it. I've just double checked and it's set to accept cookies. It sometimes logs me out randomly as well, but maybe that's the four week thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Slideways

So it's mostly on mobile for me but definitely more frequently than every 4 weeks. There could be a week or more where I donn't check in due to work or not being arsed.

Have definitely ticked the keep me logged in box and am on numerous other fora where this doesn't happen.

IPhone 6s with latest update and safari

Just now I was signed out while trying to post a reply to a thread.

Any updates on this or at least an explanation why it happens?

It did it to me again just now.

I had been online if not yesterday definitely the day before

Boards.ie Employee

We can't replicate this issue in the office at the moment, which will make it harder for us to pin it down. Just to note that the cookie expires four weeks from your initial login (and then you have to login again and a new cookie is set). Aside from that, Ronan provided the only explanation that we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I've the same problem. I might get a week or two at most before I have to sign in again. It's really irritating.

iPhone 6 with Safari.

Just got signed out on PC there in the last half hour or so and it definitely wasn't 4 weeks since I last signed in. Just checked my Chrome history and I deleted my entire browsing history, cache, cookies etc just over two weeks ago (I was looking at... stuff...)

So definitely not 4 weeks until I'd been signed out, and on the full site, not mobile/touch.

Just got signed out there again and once again, only two weeks since I last cleared cookies, caches etc.

If this is something which is designed to happen every 4 weeks and there's nothing you can do about it, why is it happening to me after two weeks?

Penn wrote: »
    Just got signed out there again and once again, only two weeks since I last cleared cookies, caches etc.

If this is something which is designed to happen every 4 weeks and there's nothing you can do about it, why is it happening to me after two weeks?

Signed out again this morning, which is again, just two weeks.

Boards.ie Employee

Following up on this again to see if anyone has any ideas. Sorry for the inconvenience, Penn.

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Are you running any extensions or programs that clear cache / cookies more regularly by any chance?

Are you running any extensions or programs that clear cache / cookies more regularly by any chance?

I have Click&Clear installed but it doesn't clear cookies or cache automatically as far as I can see, and I only use it when fully wiping all data (which would obviously sign me out).

My issue is this doesn't happen on any other website I use.

For what it's worth, it's happening to me too (still).

It still happens me and I have no extensions installed on the phone. As an idea to keep a log of it Ill post here each time it happens like Penn has done

Boards.ie Employee

We can't replicate this in the office (for anyone), which makes it more troublesome to get to the root cause of the issue. Sorry about this all! It's very weird that it only seems to happen on Boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭28064212

We can't replicate this in the office
    You can't replicate a 2 week sign out issue? Even though it explicitly says in the Cookie Policy:

Cookie Name |Typical Value |Purpose |Expires
    bbpassword |MD5 hash of a user's salted password |Set only if 'Remember me' is checked when logging in. Enables auto-login on subsequent visits |On user logout or 2 weeks

And logging in clearly sets a bbpassword cookie with an expiry date of two weeks?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Boards.ie Employee

Sooooo...funny story...You're going to get a giggle out of this*

Turns out the value was mid-read when it was looked up previously. One of the guys is going to take a look as he's pretty sure he doesn't sign in every two weeks.

Full disclosure: this is something that isn't too high on list of priorities with some other things that are going on, so I can't give you an estimate as to when this might be extended.

Sorry about all this...and the reading error, which sparked some confusion!

*Guarantee is not a guarantee

Just for reference I was logged out again today

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I was signed out yesterday too. Did not clear cookies/cache. Noticed this happening randomly and just spotted this thread. Thought it was just me.

• Advertisement

I was signed out yesterday too.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement