Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City's neglected roads

Options
  • 21-02-2017 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

A few streets where little traffic travels have been resurfaced in past years, like mount sion avenue , however most road ways are destroying our cars , Keane's road is 3rd world,
    Mayors walk not much better ,
    quay is patched up with sunken shores and manholes, and a centre median/ambulance track
    Other areas have worn out ramps not fit for purpose , lismore park, Arundel square,
    Yet let's spend 14 million putting a pidgeon coup celing over the applemarket ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

I’d love to know the logic of how roads are chosen for resurfacing. There are busy roads around the city that are in a terrible state for literally decades. And there are other roads that had nothing wrong with them and they have been resurfaced a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »
    I’d love to know the logic of how roads are chosen for resurfacing. There are busy roads around the city that are in a terrible state for literally decades. And there are other roads that had nothing wrong with them and they have been resurfaced a few times.

First off, engineers in the council know more about roads and what is happening more than the whiners(not yourself bbm) who often appear on here, that's a start, add in regular maintenance, plans, requests from public and representatives and money and you get a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Other areas have worn out ramps not fit for purpose , lismore park

God I hate those ramps. There is no need for them to be so high. Is there not a certain guide that all ramps should follow in terms of height and width?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Lismore Park ones are huge I dont know who built them but Im sure they must break some kind of planning law

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Max Powers wrote: »
    First off, engineers in the council know more about roads

You may be right with that statement, perhaps they do but it does seem a pity that they don't seem to be putting their knowledge into practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

part of the problem suffered here and in every other county... is that Utilities companies are allowed dig up the road and when it comes to putting the road back they make a hash of it...
    all looks good at first but give it a few months and the holes and trenches that have been filled in start to drop or break part ...

You may be right with that statement, perhaps they do but it does seem a pity that they don't seem to be putting their knowledge into practice.

Think the roads around city are in reasonable good nick, quay is newly surfaced, couple manholes have sunk more than a small bit nothing major,,Arundel square being completely done as part of renewal works so these are 2 silly complaints in my view, smacks of someone looking for something to whine about . Bitchin about the council seems to be ubiquitous with serial complainers, usually unfounded or exaggerated.

Think the roads around city are in reasonable good nick, quay is newly surfaced, couple manholes have sunk more than a small bit nothing major,,Arundel square being completely done as part of renewal works so these are 2 silly complaints in my view, smacks of someone looking for something to whine about . Bitchin about the council seems to be ubiquitous with serial complainers, usually unfounded or exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Found another couple of beauties today, big lump of tarmac on passage road , a right suspension breaker,no matter how slow you take it, rice park end of bunkers hill is dodgy and onto polberry,even parts of manor street have sunken drain covers ,and car tax goes where again?
    Not the roads anyway
    Oh someone threw a bit tarmack into a pothole in barrack street today but missed 3 others beside it...

Just wondering have you made past the quay in your meanderings yet maxie or did you take a taxi

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Found another couple of beauties today, big lump of tarmac on passage road , a right suspension breaker,no matter how slow you take it, rice park end of bunkers hill is dodgy and onto polberry,even parts of manor street have sunken drain covers ,and car tax goes where again?
    Not the roads anyway
    Oh someone threw a bit tarmack into a pothole in barrack street today but missed 3 others beside it...

Just wondering have you made past the quay in your meanderings yet maxie or did you take a taxi

No taxi but drive the city every day, you're overly negative just like your post about no businesses in Viking triangle in different thread.a few slightly sunken drain/manhole covers do not make a road bad by any stretch of the imagination.it's not not perfect but its certainly not worth the whine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,047 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going up Convent Hill onto Barrack Street is quite dangerous and is an accident waiting to happen

Im always scared of cars flying up to Ballybricken from Five Alley Lane, its very hard to see up that lane way when ur walking up by the old Londis on Ballybricken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No taxi but drive the city every day, you're overly negative just like your post about no businesses in Viking triangle in different thread.a few slightly sunken drain/manhole covers do not make a road bad by any stretch of the imagination.it's not not perfect but its certainly not worth the whine.

You are fond of telling people they are overly negative towards the Council, do you work for them? I can tell you now that they have impacted a huge number of people in a negative way with these works around the city and despite numerous objections and complaints about the traffic system in and around the Quay, Yellow Road, Dominics Place etc they went right ahead and did it anyway, they couldn't care less and they have way too much power in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

You are fond of telling people they are overly negative towards the Council, do you work for them? I can tell you now that they have impacted a huge number of people in a negative way with these works around the city and despite numerous objections and complaints about the traffic system in and around the Quay, Yellow Road, Dominics Place etc they went right ahead and did it anyway, they couldn't care less and they have way too much power in my view.

You right,I hate exaggerated whines, , and no don't work for or with council but I know a bit about their work..I think most people are happy with works council do in general, along quay,VT, flood prevention, etc etc.i think vast majority of people are happy with urban renewal changes, nearly all the business in Apple market are in favour of changes there too, obviously they're not overjoyed when work causing noise, traffic disruption etc but they welcome it overall. silly complaints need to be identified fir what they are silly.this nonsense that people say 'council ruining town'is just lazy nonsense, I'm not familiar with what's going on up yellow road or Dominic s place, was down Newport terrace way alright couple weeks ago.
    BTW, if road was in serious bad way, I'd be the first to complain but saying a couple manholes sunk an inch or 2 makes the road terrible just weakens any serious road qualitycomplaints that may exist. I disagree with your too much power comment, they do all sorts of consultations for anything big and if a couple of people stopped major works because it slightly inconvenienced them , the city would be nowhere.

In fairness, the yellow road lights are a lot better than before. I used to take such awkward "short"cuts so I wouldn't approach those crossroads. Thankfully it's a lot quicker now, and I use it all the time.

The new layout in Yellow Road has pushed all the traffic up further to Morley Terrace, along Dominics/Congress Pl/Ozaman Street and its literally a nightmare to try and work around particularly at rush hour and we had several meetings with the Council and lodged objections but it seems they were just able to go ahead and do it anyway. They DO have way too much power and I cant even recall a time when works were stopped because of objections?

The bilberry works/changes were stopped because of submissions and often changes made to reflect submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, if we don't agree with yours are we then labelled a serial complainer?

The bilberry works/changes were stopped because of submissions and often changes made to reflect submissions.

Of course that was stopped. Where was the traffic from the estate/gracedieu/military road etc going to go if that was given the green light? As cheeky as the council are, they knew that particular motion wouldn't fly and I doubt anyone working for the council are personally affected by these traffic changes. its very easy to change plans when its not affecting you. And also, I don't think a lot of people are happy with the layout of The Quay, as highlighted over and over again by the ambulance crew who find it a nightmare to traverse.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, if we don't agree with yours are we then labelled a serial complainer?

Never said serial complaints just pointing out generally some silly/unrealistic/unfounded ones.

• Advertisement

Of course that was stopped. Where was the traffic from the estate/gracedieu/military road etc going to go if that was given the green light? As cheeky as the council are, they knew that particular motion wouldn't fly and I doubt anyone working for the council are personally affected by these traffic changes. its very easy to change plans when its not affecting you. And also, I don't think a lot of people are happy with the layout of The Quay, as highlighted over and over again by the ambulance crew who find it a nightmare to traverse.

The ambulances said no issues, then another lad said delays happen on quay.an engineer's report which was in the local paper on the quay said plenty room to pull to side and let ambulances pass.the quay has become a thing people complain about just like they talk about the weather,and you'd swear there was never traffic jams on quays or remember the trucks thundering down it or cars parked all on inside lane. About bilberry, from reading here and in general chat, people complained because it meant going a different to their usual route one way.as said before, the changes don't affect you comment is nonsense, Waterford is tiny, changes impact us all, some of us want what's best for city but others who may want the same but do not want to be affected by any changes.

The ambulances said no issues, then another lad said delays happen on quay.an engineer's report which was in the local paper on the quay said plenty room to pull to side and let ambulances pass.the quay has become a thing people complain about just like they talk about the weather,and you'd swear there was never traffic jams on quays or remember the trucks thundering down it or cars parked all on inside lane. About bilberry, from reading here and in general chat, people complained because it meant going a different to their usual route one way.as said before, the changes don't affect you comment is nonsense, Waterford is tiny, changes impact us all, some of us want what's best for city but others who may want the same but do not want to be affected by any changes.

Im all for change and development in the city but I'm against a complete blanket disregard of the needs and quality of life of residents. Re: Bilberry, let me repeat, if they had made the dreadful decision to close that road, then its not just as black and white as "Oh no that was my preferred route home after work, isn't it terrible that I have to go another way". There IS no other way, you cant just vanish away traffic, it needs to go somewhere else and in this case, the already extremely clogged Military Road/Summerhill/Dominics Place route would become intolerable and anyone living in these areas would be a virtual prisoner at school and work opening/closing times with a guaranteed tripling of traffic in these areas.

Do you live anywhere near those areas? Have you seen SummerHill between 5pm and 7pm? Maybe it doesn't affect you at all and you are merely ignorant. If so, trust me when I say that most people don't object for the sake of it and there were a number of complaints about the Yellow Road set up but they went right ahead and did it anyway, that smacks of too much power in my book. I hope the town flourishes when the works are over it would be great for the city but to say that people who complain are just whingers shows you up as either immature or ignorant.

Tripling of traffic by closing bilberry one way? I'm not familiar about yellow road changes so if its a mess there, I'll take your word for it.however, about your immature/ignorant comment,I would say like OP, those who make up unfounded, exaggerated complaints are whiners yes,.the city is busy traffic wise at those times you mentioned and morning because its a city, its to be expected, especially when many people use city to drive thru.

Aa Report there during week that Waterfords traffic is considerably easier than all 4 other cities and Sligo.in general, we have it alright and traffic jams at regular times are nothing to be having a hissy fit about

The new layout in Yellow Road has pushed all the traffic up further to Morley Terrace, along Dominics/Congress Pl/Ozaman Street and its literally a nightmare to try and work around particularly at rush hour and we had several meetings with the Council and lodged objections but it seems they were just able to go ahead and do it anyway. They DO have way too much power and I cant even recall a time when works were stopped because of objections?

It's an area that has a big primary and secondary school - it's always going to have a high amount of cars around it at peak times. No amount of alterations to lights will change that.

The advantages are that these new lights allow quicker exit times from most angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

First off, engineers in the council know more about roads and what is happening more than the whiners(not yourself bbm) who often appear on here, that's a start, add in regular maintenance, plans, requests from public and representatives and money and you get a picture.

It is my belief that engineers employed by a local authority are a) rejected by the private sector or b) inept or c) afraid of hard work - or a combination of all these!

Minister wrote: »
    It is my belief that engineers employed by a local authority are a) rejected by the private sector or b) inept or c) afraid of hard work - or a combination of all these!

Really, bit harsh, do you know /worked with many of them.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Aa Report there during week that Waterfords traffic is considerably easier than all 4 other cities and Sligo.in general, we have it alright and traffic jams at regular times are nothing to be having a hissy fit about

Absolutely, the traffic in Galway particularly can be mental. There is no equivalent to the by-pass and outer ring road in Galway that we have here. Imagine what the traffic would be like here if there was no by-pass and outer ring road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Back on topic , a sunken manhole does serious damage to a car suspension, you can dodge them on the quay but run the risk of a head on collision with an ambulance or other emergency vehicle travelling along the centre median on the road way

Apple market area is a disaster , as is Keane's road full of trenches and bumps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The sunken manholes on the Quays are a nuisance, but if you have a head-on collision with emergency services while dodging a manhole, you're not fit to drive.

Advertisement