Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat in apartment.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say it's mice OP not a rat. We had them recently, it was just like you described, noisy scratching, and rustling at night.

Between traps and cats, the situation got resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I remember my jack russell found a rat once, and chased it out the front garden, my dad happened to be out the front with a shovel gardening came out where the shovel became a Hurley and the rat was a sliotar, it was one of the most amazing but gruesome things I've seen, the rat hurtling towards its death

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I'd say it's mice OP not a rat. We had them recently, it was just like you described, noisy scratching, and rustling at night.

Between traps and cats, the situation got resolved.

Id say a trap. Cats are great but not in apartments.

Sometimes you need a priest though.
    Ever see The Excorcist?
    That all started with what they thought was rats in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

I got a friendly stray tom cat hanging around my house if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Nutella is best on traps unlike solid stuff they can't manage to get the stuff without setting the trap off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Is this what the world has come to? Get some traps, set them and deal with the problem. I'd never consider contacting a landlord over something so trivial.

If you haven't actually seen an evidence of them then they may not have access to your apartment and you and your landlord may not have access to the attic space. The landlord may not be responsible for an attic area and it may be the management company (if there is one).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

For people not used to it you never know what it could be as they can be quite loud when in the wall especially late at night when your lying in bed.

I got some rentokil resumable traps and some Nutella killed about 3 in an hour in the autmn.

I am curious about the electric trap though will have to look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/owner-of-naas-apartment-ordered-to-pay-e1628-to-tenants-over-alleged-rat-problem/115682

Well if it does turn out to actually be a rat and he's brought his buddies - you may find the RTB are with you all the way. Jackie Lavin was fined and had to pay compo to tenants in a case last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You're never more than about 8ft from a rat. I hope that helps. :pac:

FWIW I wouldn't expect my tenants to have to go rat/mouse catching but neither would it be grounds for terminating the lease.

Where you place the traps is very important.. Look in the dust where you think they might be, and if you notice a track, especially around the edges, thats where to put the trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

If it is a rat place the trap on a suspected run but put it in the middle of a length of drain pipe or similar, i found that worked.

Not sure if it's because the rodent feels safer in the tube or because it forces him over the trap thus setting it off regardless

I'd lend you my jack russell but he's not friendly to others although an excellent ratter.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I know its not the time of year but seeing as we've had a warm winter, have you considered wasps? We have an attic that built as part of the house as a bedroom but we've got storage spaces in the walls. Wasps built a nest in the layering between the slate and the insulation. Heard scratching at night and assumed it was a mouse.

Elemonator wrote: »
    I know its not the time of year but seeing as we've had a warm winter, have you considered wasps? We have an attic that built as part of the house as a bedroom but we've got storage spaces in the walls. Wasps built a nest in the layering between the slate and the insulation. Heard scratching at night and assumed it was a mouse.

It could have been a mouse trying to raid the wasps nest. They certainly do this with bees during the winter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Fine white pepper: when they sniff it they sneeze and bash their heads off the ground. Dead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Post: I think the OP has enough advice and it's clear that they just can't end the lease and get their deposit back for this.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement