Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat in apartment.

Options
  • 20-02-2017 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I just moved into an apartment in town, been in here going on two weeks now, signed a lease for a year.

Since I have moved in I can hear loud scratching in the attic and fllorboards and small footsteps at night when it quiet.
    After listening for a couple of days I have determined it must be a rat.

I would like to know if anyone knows if this is reason enough serve a notice to the lanlord and terminate my contract and get my deposit back?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

keith89 wrote: »
    I just moved into an apartment in town, been in here going on two weeks now, signed a lease for a year.

Since I have moved in I can hear loud scratching in the attic and fllorboards and small footsteps at night when it quiet.

I would like to know if anyone knows if this is reason enough serve a notice to the lanlord and terminate my contract and get my deposit back?

Thanks

No its not.
    But why dont you just call a pest control company and get it sorted.
    Thats what anyone else does if they have pests in their house.
    I just get traps in woodies when there are mice in my house. Simple solution for a simple problem.
    It happens every year. And most homes in the country will have mice at some stage. Some, like mine, every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

I would imagine he would say that it was a unforseen problem because he does not live there and would be aloud to rectify the problem first.
    You will probably find that they are mice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Thanks

Ring your landlord and get them to deal with the problem or else go to your local hardware store and buy a rat trap. Bait it with some bacon.
    A trap wouldn't cost you more than ten euro.
    If more rats appear after I would look to move out as they must have an easy access to the property from the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i'd say it's mice i had a couple recently, put down a few traps and bought one of those plugs you get in a hardware shop,
    problem solved

AnneFrank wrote: »
    i'd say it's mice i had a couple recently, put down a few traps and bought one of those plugs you get in a hardware shop,
    problem solved

Ive got calls the odd time about rats in rental properties.
    I go out and the tenants are all upset there is a rat and want the avengers or at least rentokil called to get rid of them.
    I tell them, fine go to rentokil and pay them yourself, or ill go down to woodies and buy a few mouse traps and set them and catch them all for you.
    So I put down traps and next day i get a call, theres a rat in the trap. I call up and its a tiny mouse and i throw it out and set the traps again. Where there is one there is more.
    Next day another call and i say put it in the bin yourself and reset the trap until they are all gone. Or you can just sit there in fear of a 2 inch long creature for as long as you want.
    Amazing how some people cant deal with a couple of mice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keith89

thanks for the replies so quickly.
    this rat (mouse) I assume was in the apartment before me since I heard it during the first couple of days. surely the fact it was here before me is reason enough to demand a deposit back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Just be aware if you have one mouse or rat you actually have at least 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keith89

very reassuring. thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

this rat (mouse) I assume was in the apartment before me since I heard it during the first couple of days. surely the fact it was here before me is reason enough to demand a deposit back?

Your assumption doesn't make it a fact. The mouse may have moved in the same day as you. Or, maybe, the previous tenants didn't notice, so then the landlord had no knowledge.

It is not grounds to terminate your lease nor get your deposit back.

Any apartment can get mice. You just need to deal with it - traps, etc, and then get on with life.

Inform the landlord, have a discussion and see what the best plan of action is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

Or ask the mice to split the rent and get on with your life.
    I've had a mouse in the house myself, but it never crossed my mind to bother the landlord. Get mouse traps, bait them with chocolate or peanut butter and happy hunting.

• Advertisement

Dont worry. Its probably only a mouse and 10 is an exaggeration. The most Ive ever had is 5 at once. Its usually only 2 or 3.
    And if it was a rat you would know. It would be on your bed checking you out while you are trying to sleep. Mice stay in the corners and ubder beds etc and you hardly ever see them.
    Mice can walk in the door with you, get in in your bag and get out when in the house, creep in through a letter box, under a door, in a slightly open window. A mouse needs only a second and a gap you could push your pencil through.
    If you ever opened the door or a window thats when they could have got in.

If they get in when they are about to give birth there will be little mice growing up over the next few months and breeding too.
    So go to Woodies, buy some traps and put them down. What could be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

76544567 wrote: »
    Ive got calls the odd time about rats in rental properties.
    I go out and the tenants are all upset there is a rat and want the avengers or at least rentokil called to get rid of them.
    I tell them, fine go to rentokil and pay them yourself, or ill go down to woodies and buy a few mouse traps and set them and catch them all for you.
    So I put down traps and next day i get a call, theres a rat in the trap. I call up and its a tiny mouse and i throw it out and set the traps again. Where there is one there is more.
    Next day another call and i say put it in the bin yourself and reset the trap until they are all gone. Or you can just sit there in fear of a 2 inch long creature for as long as you want.
    Amazing how some people cant deal with a couple of mice.

We must have smarter mice here. I always catch one mouse and then the traps aren't touched but there'll still be mice around!

Chuchote wrote: »
    We must have smarter mice here. I always catch one mouse and then the traps aren't touched but there'll still be mice around!

:)

They can be smart fcukers alright.
    I bought an electric trap. Its great.
    Dont even have to reset it. Its just a button.
    Empty it out and put it back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dont worry. Its probably only a mouse and 10 is an exaggeration. The most Ive ever had is 5 at once. Its usually only 2 or 3.
    And if it was a rat you would know. It would be on your bed checking you out while you are trying to sleep. Mice stay in the corners and ubder beds etc and you hardly ever see them.
    Mice can walk in the door with you, get in in your bag and get out when in the house, creep in through a letter box, under a door, in a slightly open window. A mouse needs only a second and a gap you could push your pencil through.
    If you ever opened the door or a window thats when they could have got in.

If they get in when they are about to give birth there will be little mice growing up over the next few months and breeding too.
    So go to Woodies, buy some traps and put them down. What could be easier.

I had a mouse run across my pillow.... The dog got it. But yes traps. And keep all food covered and safe. Any food around will attract mice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Chocolate works a treat for the buggers. I cleared out 10 from the last rental house I was in and another 9 from a house I recently bought. Never crossed my mind to contact a landlord about it. It is a simple job to get rid of them.

They will appear periodically ime and is one of the domestic duties you have as an adult imo.

Would you call the landlord for a spider in the bath?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

mice always run around the edges aswell so that's where to leave the trap,
    another good tip is to find where the little buggers are getting in, then block it off.
    The plugs are great too. There's no way you're getting out of a lease unless there's millions of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Is the only reason you want to back out of the lease "the mouse" or have you other reasons and you are hoping to leverage "the mouse" .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Mice make a lot of noise. I was convinced there was something much bigger than a rat running around my kitchen last September but turned out just to be a large mouse. My place is plagued by them unfortunately, we were laying traps and catching the odd one but the only thing that worked in the long run was blocking up the holes they made in the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

76544567 wrote:
    No its not. But why dont you just call a pest control company and get it sorted. Thats what anyone else does if they have pests in their house. I just get traps in woodies when there are mice in my house. Simple solution for a simple problem. It happens every year. And most homes in the country will have mice at some stage. Some, like mine, every year.

If op has just moved in then maybe the landlord should foot the bill for the pest control company.
    On the other hand the landlord might try changing rent for the extra guest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I was bitten a while ago at home by a mouse OP.

But don't worry, I'm sure that won't happen to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

If the apartment is in a managed complex, the management company/agent may be responsible for the pest control. Especially if the noise is coming from common areas (ie. the ceiling/walls). I would just report the issue to the landlord and see if they can help. No harm in asking anyway. It may seem trivial to people, but if it is a rat, they can cause untold structural damage and can also cause health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

:)
    an electric trap.

tell me more please, when where and any chance of a linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If op has just moved in then maybe the landlord should foot the bill for the pest control company.
    On the other hand the landlord might try changing rent for the extra guest. :)

There's almost certainly no need for a pest control company. A couple of euro for a few traps and some chocolate biscuits as bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If the mouse is there longer than 6 months they have Part 4 and there is nothing you can do...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

dashoonage wrote: »
    If the mouse is there longer than 6 months they have Part 4 and there is nothing you can do...

I admit that's funny, but helpful posts please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

El Weirdo wrote:
    There's almost certainly no need for a pest control company. A couple of euro for a few traps and some chocolate biscuits as bait.

If it's mice then I agree & it most likely mice but if it's a rat personality I'd want to get rid of them ASAP. That's just me though. One of the few things I'm afraid of in life.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If it's mice then I agree & it most likely mice but if it's a rat personality I'd want to get rid of them ASAP. That's just me though. One of the few things I'm afraid of in life.

Traps catch rats too.
    If you are unsure buy the big traps and you can get both with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You're not actually serious are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Chocolate works a treat for the buggers. I cleared out 10 from the last rental house I was in and another 9 from a house I recently bought. Never crossed my mind to contact a landlord about it. It is a simple job to get rid of them.

They will appear periodically ime and is one of the domestic duties you have as an adult imo.

Would you call the landlord for a spider in the bath?? ;)

What type of chocolates do they like? will I get wine aswel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement