Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in Carlow town and working in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I leave Enniscorthy every morning at 0520, get home at 1900. €3190 per annum, gross, for my ticket on the bus. Off tomorrow though :-)

That's tough.

What are your working hours

8am - 4pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

It's really difficult. But after 5 years, it's normal.

Yes, 0800 - 1630 shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    But he won't be doing it off-peak if he's commuting, so rather beside the point, no?

And if his job is in the city centre he can add the guts of an hour onto your 60-70 minutes to Citywest.

I was commenting on your point made about cityWest mate so you bringing up city centre is rather beside the point. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What part of Dublin are you going to be working in? That makes a big difference to how long the commute will be. I work in Tallaght from about 8am til 5.30. On average it takes about 1 hour 10 minutes to get to work and about 1 hour 30 minutes to get home. That's a long time in a car every day. Tallaght is on the near side of Dublin to Carlow so is relatively easy to get to. If you are going to be working in the city centre, then you are looking at two hours drive up and maybe longer to get home. Of course all of this depends on the time of day that you are working. If you can avoid busy times, then commuting time will be reduced.

Getting trains and busses can be easier than driving but plan for a nice long commute there too.

Apart from that, Carlow is a good spot. There are rough areas but I certainly wouldn't call it a kip. There are much worse places around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i commuted from carlow to dublin for three years. pain in the arse, but easily doable - though I did start at 7 am and finish at 4 so as to avoid rush hours traffic. Carlow's a decent enough spot to live in as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

road_high wrote: »
    How is that living? Jesus :o

I would echo this sentiment

I find all this "sure I fly in from borrisinossory so long as I'm up at 4 am" carry on to be mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There's actually lots of jobs around Carlow, Kilkenny and Kildare it's just the salaries/conditions and opportunities are often far less than in the city- that's generally why people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 relocatelondon

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What part of Dublin are you going to be working in? That makes a big difference to how long the commute will be. I work in Tallaght from about 8am til 5.30. On average it takes about 1 hour 10 minutes to get to work and about 1 hour 30 minutes to get home. That's a long time in a car every day. Tallaght is on the near side of Dublin to Carlow so is relatively easy to get to. If you are going to be working in the city centre, then you are looking at two hours drive up and maybe longer to get home. Of course all of this depends on the time of day that you are working. If you can avoid busy times, then commuting time will be reduced.

Getting trains and busses can be easier than driving but plan for a nice long commute there too.

Apart from that, Carlow is a good spot. There are rough areas but I certainly wouldn't call it a kip. There are much worse places around.

I will be working in construction (senior management) hopefully working in the city centre..The ideal scenario would be to cycle to train station in Carlow. .take train to Dublin then cycle into city centre job..getting train at 06.30 arriving at 07.45 in Dublin and returning on the 17.35 train into Carlow at 18.36hrs now that would be the dream/plan wether potential employers would allow/accept that would be another thing..I suppose I could also commit to working on the train answering emails etc..here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will be working in construction (senior management) hopefully working in the city centre..The ideal scenario would be to cycle to train station in Carlow. .take train to Dublin then cycle into city centre job..getting train at 06.30 arriving at 07.45 in Dublin and returning on the 17.35 train into Carlow at 18.36hrs now that would be the dream/plan wether potential employers would allow/accept that would be another thing..I suppose I could also commit to working on the train answering emails etc..here's hoping!!

Links to the Cycle to work scheme and transport commuter tickets and tax scheme.

Cycle to Work Scheme

Public transport commuter tickets and tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So you haven't actually got a job secured yet you're hoping it will be in Dublin City Centre.

Why?

Are there no suitable jobs in that line of work away from Dublin city centre if not away from Dublin altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

Hi OP i live in Carlow and Work in dublin city centre. I travel via train and can walk both ends but usually drive to the station in the morning. Its a nice way to travel to work in the morning and i use the hour to relax. Parts of carlow are rough and parts nice and getting home late in the evenings(about 7.45) means you havent much time in the evenings to do stuff which is a draw back,

pros for me- you are only a few minutes from some lovely countryside,i live in a lovely area, I dont miss the m50 or being stuck in traffic, its nice to be part of a town whereas in dublin your living in some giant housing sprawl. The commute can be hard in the winter with the dark nights but like anything you get used to it, and you cant get home in a hurry if you ve kids or emergencies your an hour away... thats my tuppence...

Laois_Man wrote: »

So you haven't actually got a job secured yet you're hoping it will be in Dublin City Centre.

Why?

Are there no suitable jobs in that line of work away from Dublin city centre if not away from Dublin altogether?

There is really only construction work in Dublin..with the nature of construction projects and the short shelf life of a project it's best I target dublin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

There is really only construction work in Dublin..with the nature of construction projects and the short shelf life of a project it's best I target dublin..
    You should have a look at the cif website they are looking for various positions in the construction industry.

Hi OP i live in Carlow and Work in dublin city centre. I travel via train and can walk both ends but usually drive to the station in the morning. Its a nice way to travel to work in the morning and i use the hour to relax. Parts of carlow are rough and parts nice and getting home late in the evenings(about 7.45) means you havent much time in the evenings to do stuff which is a draw back,

pros for me- you are only a few minutes from some lovely countryside,i live in a lovely area, I dont miss the m50 or being stuck in traffic, its nice to be part of a town whereas in dublin your living in some giant housing sprawl. The commute can be hard in the winter with the dark nights but like anything you get used to it, and you cant get home in a hurry if you ve kids or emergencies your an hour away... thats my tuppence...

I think this is really exaggerated in terms of Carlow town- family member worked in a social based position in both Carlow and Portlaoise and apparently Carlow was a breeze by comparison- much quieter. There's about 2 housing estates I'd describe as very rough but pretty mild in context of other towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The commute can be hard in the winter with the dark nights but like anything you get used to it, and you cant get home in a hurry if you ve kids or emergencies your an hour away... thats my tuppence...

To be honest, I think this 'hour' thing is a bit misleading. Your commuting time will probably be a good bit longer if you are working in Dublin.

It takes more than an hour if you are driving. It can take up to two hours at times, depending of course where in Dublin you are working and the times that you are travelling at.

The train might get you to Dublin in an hour but realistically you are unlikely to be working beside the train station in Dublin. You have to get from the train station to where you are working and that could take another hour.

Dublin being an hour away is pretty much a myth. That's my experience anyway.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    To be honest, I think this 'hour' thing is a bit misleading. Your commuting time will probably be a good bit longer if you are working in Dublin.

It takes more than an hour if you are driving. It can take up to two hours at times, depending of course where in Dublin you are working and the times that you are travelling at.

The train might get you to Dublin in an hour but realistically you are unlikely to be working beside the train station in Dublin. You have to get from the train station to where you are working and that could take another hour.

Dublin being an hour away is pretty much a myth. That's my experience anyway.

Graiguecullen to Citywest morning this week.

Monday 05:30 -06:15
    Tues 07:00 - 07:55
    Wednesday 07:15 - 08:10

Just an example but it's fairly consinstantly the same to be honest around 50-60 mins sometimes 45. I'd add at least 45mins to get to city centre and you have to keep in mind you don't park at your desk.

On a flip side lads travelling from North Wicklow would take longer and generally have a longer commute home if driving. It's half the distance in some cases. So there's traffic everywhere.

In response to the hour. I've made it from Carlow to the Rotunda hospital in 40 mins and yes I was driving quickly for a very pressing matter if you get me.

Suffice to say if I were you I would be looking for something outside of the M50 as once you cross the motorway traffic becomes a whole different animal.

Hi thanks for the response and input - are the trains packed on the journey up and down do you get a seat? I assume there is wifi on board and one could use a laptop on the train easily enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Hi thanks for the response and input - are the trains packed on the journey up and down do you get a seat? I assume there is wifi on board and one could use a laptop on the train easily enough?

Plenty of seats at carlow on the way, and train home depending on time can be standing room till the first stop, trains do have wifi but dont plan on doing anything heavy on it, it struggles at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

road_high wrote: »
    I think this is really exaggerated in terms of Carlow town- family member worked in a social based position in both Carlow and Portlaoise and apparently Carlow was a breeze by comparison- much quieter. There's about 2 housing estates I'd describe as very rough but pretty mild in context of other towns and cities.

Having lived her for 43 years I'ld have to disagree. We were reared in what was considered a rough estate in the 70's/80's & still is, though, same the world over, it's the same few people/familys that make it that way. Also, there are parts of carlow town & estates I wouldn't walk through or go to at night & would try to avoid during the day. Maybe it's as you get older you get more aware, but even now I would be nervous & very aware on the town after a night out. Where years ago it wouldn't cost me a thought to walk home at any hour, now I just wouldn't be okay doing it. Maybe in context to other towns, I've nothing to compared to it, but in my own opinion, there are parts of carlow that 1 would avoid or be very careful going through. On the commute part, my OH leaves at 5.55/6.00 every morning to be in the office for 7. Office is at the Redcow though. Is it possible to travel to the red cow & get the Luas in to the city centre if the train times didn't suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Carlow is decent enough, but if its a daily commute to Dublin then I'd be looking a bit closer especially as train services from Carlow are infrequent. I do think Carlow lacks character and is very much a

Kildare Town has a few new house developments and train services are very frequent and you have benefit of being closer to a lot of amenities.

Naas - Again a good few new developments and would give the option of Sallins train which has the added option of the new train routes to Connolly & Grand canal dock.

Personally I think Carlow is just a tad too far for a daily commute.

Delacent wrote: »
    Personally I think Carlow is just a tad too far for a daily commute.

I lived in Shankill commuted to city centre by dart 70 mins home to office now my commute is 60 mins so depending on your location it's easily commutable.

I really don't miss the dart but I do miss the views from it.

In saying all that given the option and money no object I'd probably be back in wicklow. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 2006K

I work with lads that live on the opposite side of the city,Dublin by the way and I normally can make the drive in an hour or 1.20 latest,their bumper to bumper traffic all the way home and it can take that and more,Im actually driving! Born and reared in Dublin,loads of friends and relatives but wouldnt move back if paid,I did own a house there and sold up. Carlow is a nice little town,everything you need and central,the no go areas are laughable if your from Dublin and lived in council areas.. Dublin is not a great place to rear kids in my opinion. See where you get offered the job but Id be leaning towards buying the Dublin side of town,nice schools and amenities. Only negative is the cliquish mentality in Carlow,once ye get to know ppl its not as bad but everyone knows or is related to someone! You could alot worse for your buck and your kids though..

2006K wrote: »
    Only negative is the cliquish mentality in Carlow,once ye get to know ppl its not as bad but everyone knows or is related to someone! ..

Think carlow is bad, try Graigue :P
    And you're right, we're not a bad bunch. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I moved to Carlow from wexford nearly 2 years ago now and probably wouldn't move back being honest.

I live quite central and do love it here..my only draw back would be making friends I haven't made really any since I moved here but I do like the town and the people here. Like anywhere you live there are nice and rough parts but I don't feel anyway unsafe at all.

Hi RoisinClaire, glad you enjoy living here. Just wondering is there anything in particular you are interested in as there's loads of clubs & activities on around town that might help with meeting people & making friends.
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

denis160 wrote: »
    Hi RoisinClaire, glad you enjoy living here. Just wondering is there anything in particular you are interested in as there's loads of clubs & activities on around town that might help with meeting people & making friends.
    D

Thanks for the reply, I do read quite a bit and I am in a book club on Facebook but have not made it to a meeting yet!

Otherwise it's just watching rugby and listening to music.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

RoisnClare ,would you consider something like tag rugby?My god-child plays and she loves it, the social side is nearly better than the sporting aspect!

I moved to Carlow from wexford nearly 2 years ago now and probably wouldn't move back being honest.

I live quite central and do love it here..my only draw back would be making friends I haven't made really any since I moved here but I do like the town and the people here. Like anywhere you live there are nice and rough parts but I don't feel anyway unsafe at all.

Yea Carlow is not unsafe in the way the likes of west dublin and parts of limerick might be. Have to laugh at posters that think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

sorry if i offended anyone with my opinion, in general its a nice town
    theres good and bad everywhere really suppose thats what i meant

Advertisement