Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in Carlow town and working in Dublin

Options
  • 19-02-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

My wife, our 2 kids and I are hoping to relocate to Ireland from London this summer. We are both Irish and want to research the idea of living in Carlow town. My job would see me working in Dublin and travel up from Carlow Town. Just wondering if this daily trip is sustainable/doable..can you take the train..how long does it take..what's the car journey like? We assume that Carlow town has property that is value for money?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Irelandherewecome

Comments

Carlow is a **** hole. Live closer to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If I worked in Carlow I'd still live somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

To actually answer your questions.

The drive is all Motorway so it's perfect. About an hour depending where you are going.l that's an hour to the red cow roundabout approx..

There is a bus service and a train service. Will leave this to others to answer.

As for Carlow and the comments above, I think it's ok. Better than many towns but a simple weekend here will answer most of your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Splishsplash

Carlow is actually a grand place to live, I could think of far worse places to raise your kids. As for the drive it's about 50 minutes. There is a train and bus, loads commute on the train to Dublin every day. The place is small, usually quiet and you won't hear of much trouble going on. the town itself has a number of schools, all the shops you need and every thing Is for easily accessible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I actually really like Carlow. Surprised about the negative comments. Nice town and has a great selection of shops etc.

Anyway..... A lot will depend on what time you start/finish work in Dublin at. The traffic on that route is getting worse and worse by the month.
    Can be gridlock on the M7/N7 in particular.

Of course if your hours are outside of the rush-hour etc then not so bad. No idea about train.

Definitely try staying in Carlow for a week and do the drive each morning leaving at a time you would be leaving for work at and same again coming home and test everything out before you go much further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭eurokev

I'm living in Carlow the past few months and love it. I came up here with all bad feelings about the place too. I'm only here for another few months and will be disappointed when I have to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I commute daily from Wexford to Dublin, the N11 can be busy and the commute tough, especially in winter, but I wouldn't live in Dublin for all the tea in China. Living in the country and commuting is a better option for me - family life, house prices etc. Carlow is a good town, not as good as Wexford but good! Plenty of options for bus/train etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

Be very selective when buying, not just in Carlow, but any town in Ireland. You get what you pay for.

Avoid anywhere near a River - there are two big ones flowing through Carlow. Builders put really sh*tty housing on really sh*tty land. Avoid areas with a lot of students - Southern Gardens and the like. Avoid areas close to work-shy dole birds. Some fine houses on the Tullow Road but we felt living close to John Sweeney etc wasn't worth the risk when looking for a proper home.

If you're going to be working in Dublin then look for somewhere on the Dublin side of the town, close to the Train station. Green lane, Larkfield, Athy Road, etc. Pollerton seems ok too. Generally the Dublin side of the town is nicer.

If you're patient and wait for the right house to come up, you'll feel like you've won the lottery. Carlow is very affordable and has everything you'd need. It's close to Kilkenny if you're into your restaurants, it has lots of shopping, two large Cinemas, two colleges, Visual arts centre, some good pubs, three Motorway exits, lovely Countryside close by, and plenty of history to the town. Comparable commuter towns like Portlaoise, Newbridge and Athy wouldn't be as nice in my opinion.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/how-much-is-your-house-worth/carlow-carlow-town-a-clever-buy-if-youre-willing-to-commute-35375103.html

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Carlow is actually a grand place to live, I could think of far worse places to raise your kids. As for the drive it's about 50 minutes. There is a train and bus, loads commute on the train to Dublin every day. The place is small, usually quiet and you won't hear of much trouble going on. the town itself has a number of schools, all the shops you need and every thing Is for easily accessible!

50 mins to the Red Cow with no traffic. If you are trying to get into town for 9am it is a 2 hour commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Carlow is a **** hole. Live closer to Dublin.

Rubbish. Carlow is a great town- just had a very poor run before/during the recession on the employment front which is thankfully recovering now. It's a very good town for business.
    Also has an image problem (see people labelling it a "kip"). Yes, it has rough areas but also quite nice parts to the town.

• Advertisement

I commute daily from Wexford to Dublin, the N11 can be busy and the commute tough, especially in winter, but I wouldn't live in Dublin for all the tea in China. Living in the country and commuting is a better option for me - family life, house prices etc. Carlow is a good town, not as good as Wexford but good! Plenty of options for bus/train etc.

Carlow is way way closer than Wexford town to Dublin though.

Carlow is way way better than Portlaoise (couldn't live there personally) or Newbridge/numerous other towns around Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

Not to hijack the thread but how do people think carlow compares to naas as a town, forgetting commute times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

tastyt wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread but how do people think carlow compares to naas as a town, forgetting commute times?

Way better. Much more of a cohesive town than Naas which is all housing estates and business parks. Carlow was historically bigger and more important and you can see that in the character still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

tastyt wrote: »

The price of property is the biggest difference. I think Naas has, on average, the most expensive property of any town in Kildare. It seems like a nice town, lovely Countryside close to the Wicklow border, the canal is a great amenity, some lovely pubs and restaurants, a couple of racecourses, and it's 15 minutes drive to the Red Cow...but it's Dublin prices. Seems to suffer from the same complaints that people have about Carlow - the decline of main street shopping due to retail parks and large grocery stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭mulbot

I live in Carlow and work in Dublin( near O connell st)-Leave every morning at 5.45 and arrive in the city about 7.10. Leave at 16.00 and arrive back into carlow between 17.30/17.45 most days( fridays can be bit longer).

The towns not a bad place really,you could be heading to worse places around the same distance from Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I grew up in Carlow and visit 2-3 times a month (I have family there).

It's not perfect (what town is?) but I love it there. It has picked up a lot in recent years. There is a decent selection of places to eat, a good spread of supermarkets (Supervalu in the southeast, Dunnes in the northwest and Tesco in the centre). There are 3 ways to get to the M9, the best one for you depends on where you live in the town. There is a good train service to Dublin city centre (50-60 minutes). Good bus service from Bus Eireann and JJ Kavanagh.

On the downside, as mentioned by others, going for a 9am start time (or 9am appointment) is a pain in the ass if driving. If you're willing to leave early or you're aiming for a 10am start, you'll have a better commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

radharc wrote:
    50 mins to the Red Cow with no traffic. If you are trying to get into town for 9am it is a 2 hour commute.

This. I lived in Tullow for six years, worked in Citywest for most of that. An hour and 20 minutes on a good day, 90 minutes was the norm and if there was a crash on the M9 or N7, all bets were off.

The whole "50 minutes from Dublin" thing is estate agent speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The easy part of the drive is to the Red Cow it could take just as long to get where you are going too from there as it did to get there.

Early morning trains to get you to the city centre.

6-30am train will have you at Heuston for 7-45am

7-00am train will have you at Heuston for 8-10am.

JJ kavanagh private bus.

5-55am gets you to O'Connell Street for 7-25am.

6-40am gets you to O'Connell Street for 8-40am.

Bus Eireann.

6-10am gets you to O'Connell Street for 7-30am.

Train is probably your best bet but expensive but you always look at The TaxSaver Commuter Ticket Scheme if you do travel up by public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 relocatelondon

The easy part of the drive is to the Red Cow it could take just as long to get where you are going too from there as it did to get there.

Early morning trains to get you to the city centre.

6-30am train will have you at Heuston for 7-45am

7-00am train will have you at Heuston for 8-10am.

JJ kavanagh private bus.

5-55am gets you to O'Connell Street for 7-25am.

6-40am gets you to O'Connell Street for 8-40am.

Bus Eireann.

6-10am gets you to O'Connell Street for 7-30am.

Train is probably your best bet but expensive but you always look at The TaxSaver Commuter Ticket Scheme if you do travel up by public transport.

Thanks for the feedback- how much is a weekly return ticket from Carlow Town to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 relocatelondon

I actually really like Carlow. Surprised about the negative comments. Nice town and has a great selection of shops etc.

Anyway..... A lot will depend on what time you start/finish work in Dublin at. The traffic on that route is getting worse and worse by the month.
    Can be gridlock on the M7/N7 in particular.

Of course if your hours are outside of the rush-hour etc then not so bad. No idea about train.

Definitely try staying in Carlow for a week and do the drive each morning leaving at a time you would be leaving for work at and same again coming home and test everything out before you go much further.

Thanks for the feedback and input!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    This. I lived in Tullow for six years, worked in Citywest for most of that. An hour and 20 minutes on a good day, 90 minutes was the norm and if there was a crash on the M9 or N7, all bets were off.

The whole "50 minutes from Dublin" thing is estate agent speak.

Not at all. I live in town and commute to city West every day it's between 60-70 mins most days. Bank holiday Fri work late or leave early it'll be 2 hours + at rush hour if you're lucky. Tullow is further off the motorway so not surprised it would take longer.

It's 50 mins from Carlow town to red cow off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

iwillhtfu wrote:

But he won't be doing it off-peak if he's commuting, so rather beside the point, no?

And if his job is in the city centre he can add the guts of an hour onto your 60-70 minutes to Citywest.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not at all. I live in town and commute to city West every day it's between 60-70 mins most days. Bank holiday Fri work late or leave early it'll be 2 hours + at rush hour if you're lucky. Tullow is further off the motorway so not surprised it would take longer.

Yea I thought those times were mad...must be a person south of Tullow. Can do Kilkenny to citywest in just under an hour most of the time (must be 20/30kms further!), I never spare the road.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    But he won't be doing it off-peak if he's commuting, so rather beside the point, no?

And if his job is in the city centre he can add the guts of an hour onto your 60-70 minutes to Citywest.

I think if he's in the city centre he'd be nuts not to use public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Thanks for the feedback- how much is a weekly return ticket from Carlow Town to Dublin?

The guts of 400e a month

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Rail-point-to-point-tickets/

Bus is alot cheaper, think 200 - 250e but slower.

If your working in city centre forget about the car, it will take 2 -3 hours to get into city from Carlow.

It used to take me over an hour some mornings to get from Phoenix Park to Parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I leave Enniscorthy every morning at 0520, get home at 1900. €3190 per annum, gross, for my ticket on the bus. Off tomorrow though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

It really depends where in Dublin you're going to be working OP. I live in Carlow and commuted to Leopardstown for 5 years. Was about 90 minutes each way when going there for 9am but traffic has gotten heavier in the last year or 2. Carlow is a really nice town and doesn't have any really rough areas (in comparison to the likes of portlaoise or any of the major cities). House prices are on the rise but there is still good value when you consider how well Carlow is served by motorway links and public transport links. I would echo what has been said previously though about spending some time here before taking the plung. Ideally rent short term to see if it suits you

• Advertisement

I leave Enniscorthy every morning at 0520, get home at 1900. €3190 per annum, gross, for my ticket on the bus. Off tomorrow though :-)

How is that living? Jesus :o

Advertisement