Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sinner [USA Network]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One episode in and it looks good but her husband is  John Snow he's the spits of him and its putting me off ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I'm five episodes in and tbh it's just too slow. I may struggle to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Started off great but got really cliched towards the end, as well as being unrealistic.
    And they just tacked in a pointless incest scene? Cause Game of Thrones is so cool? For a cheap shock?

Also Bill Pullman's overacting really started to get on my nerves. I think it would have played out better if it went down some kind of religious route where she was being beckoned to kill bad people like in Frailty. Let's be fair, that guy J.D. was Satan. He looked and acted as creepy as I've seen. She basically killed an innocent man at the beach. I didn't feel one bit sorry for her tbh. In fact his dad saved her life and nursed her back to health and he was made out to be a bad guy. It appeared that was going to be some weird sex conspiracy with a bunch of rich guys at the country club but that didn't happen at all. In fact there was no point for them being in the country club at all. It was very bad story-telling imo.

One episode in and it looks good but her husband is  John Snow he's the spits of him and its putting me off ,

Thought he looked more like Shia la Beouf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Just finished watching this and I'm confused :confused:
    Why did Cora's parents not go looking for Pheobe after Cora returned.
    Why did the Auntie tell Cora that her sister was dead ? In that particular scene it looked as if Pheobe's body was laid out in the room ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Watched it last weekend. Thought it started really strong, but got more soap opera-ish as it went on. Guessed what was going to happen with the little sister, it was well signposted. Really don't know what the point of that scene between Cora and Pheobe was, seemed totally unnecessary to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

ArthurG wrote: »
    Really don't know what the point of that scene between Cora and Pheobe was, seemed totally unnecessary to me.
    I think it was to illustrate how truly messed up they were from their strict religious upbringing.
    The elder sister was mixed up and the younger sister had nothing to lose as she had no life and probably knew
    she'd die young

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Have to agree that it started out well but I felt it got a bit corny and predictable from episode 6 onwards. I still don't understand why/how the parents knew that
    Pheobe was dead considering her body wasn't found until years afterwards :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Enjoyed it up until the finale then it completely fell off a cliff.

Biel and Pullman were great in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Thought it was great. Really strong finish.

• Advertisement

was decent but certainly had a few issues
    - aforementioned glossing over/hiding about the sister in a disingenuous way for a plot device
    - didn't buy it that the good-looking medical student would go for the sick sister
    - wouldn't the Biel character be more angry at the scumbag boyfriend more than anybody else -> the med student didn't really mean to harm anyone, even considering pts etc

glasso wrote: »
    - aforementioned glossing over/hiding about the sister in a disingenuous way for a plot device
    - didn't buy it that the good-looking medical student would go for the sick sister
    - wouldn't the Biel character be more angry at the scumbag boyfriend more than anybody else -> the med student didn't really mean to harm anyone, even considering pts etc

A medical guy feeding coke and having sex with a girl in that condition - come on. Not saying he deserved what he got but still.

Also, what on earth was he doing in the country club in the first place, other than a plot device. Do we mean to believe he flew in for the weekend from a residency in Cali to party with that scumbag JD in an empty hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it for the most part, though a few things did really bug me
    - Cora's parents told Ambrose that Phoebe died a few months after Cora went missing. No mention of Phoebe having disappeared or anything. Just poor writing to hide a plot twist which basically ends up contradicting itself.
    - They get the DNA from the blanket Phoebe was wrapped in and tie it to Cora, but they only find out the body is Phoebe's like a day after Cora remembers everything anyway.
    - Frankie's father just wallpapered over the wallpaper in the room, and she just happens to find a bit to peel off.
    - "Plan a winter getaway" can go get f*cked as one of the stupidest ways of making a detective realise a huge clue to break the case I've seen in recent years.
    - The bear mask thing was in the Hotel when Ambrose was first there, then it was gone when he brought Cora. Why would the doctor have left it back, and how would he have known to remove it again? I admit I may have missed something here.

It was a great show overall and I really enjoyed it, but they went a bit too far in trying to hide plot twists any relied on lazy reveals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

glasso wrote: »
    - Definitely agree on the first point
    - I think he went for the sick sister because she was also the only girl there who wasn't already with someone. Cora and Maddie were already with JD, and Phoebe did that slow clap thing when he said whatever, so he didn't know she was sick when she first caught his attention.
    - She was coked up, she was already confused and out of it (eg. only realising seconds before this that she was being raped by JD's friend when she thought she was having sex with JD) and saw Frankie on her sister who appeared to be dead. She panicked and just attacked him. She didn't get a chance to be angry at JD because she was smashed over the head and knocked out. After that she didn't remember anything about that night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Like a few others on here, I enjoyed the series until it started to disintegrate in the last couple of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 teaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Season 2 teaser.

Teaser is right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A clip from season 2, courtesy of Jessica Biel.

https://twitter.com/JessicaBiel/status/1007336642049335296

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just finished it. Good enough despite all the plot holes.(or more accurately... weak plot devices)
    How come
    the father didn't just kill Cora?

• Advertisement

Season 2 starts tonight in the States.

Damm this is going to be one fcuked up storyline this season.

Loved the first episode. Makes me realise how poor sharp objects is

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Loving this so far...
    really creepy ending

This is so good. Would literally binge it all right now if this was on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What's the craic , I though this was a Netflix Original?

No it's a USA show with Netflix having broadcast rights in some Countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Netflix will have it about 4 weeks after it finished airing in the us. So mid November

I said it during season 1 that they know how to do an ending to bring you back to the next episode.

That doctor now throws it out there who else is in the cult.

• Advertisement

Damm the writers of this show really do come up with some crazy.

Advertisement