Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The importance of the N11 and N25 post-Brexit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Some mention that Irish Rail have indicated they want to increase investment in Rosslare
    http://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/07/irish-rail-commits-to-the-future-of-rosslare-europort/
    http://www.fbj-online.com/archives/19681?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I can't find a link to the actual submission :(

Also there was some mention in the Wexford forum of congestion these days at the N11/N25 roundabout outside Wexford Town
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057735950

There may be a case to upgrade the N11 from Oylegate to the N25 (including an improved junction) sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jd wrote: »
    Some mention that Irish Rail have indicated they want to increase investment in Rosslare
    http://www.southeastradio.ie/2017/07/irish-rail-commits-to-the-future-of-rosslare-europort/
    http://www.fbj-online.com/archives/19681?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I can't find a link to the actual submission :(

Also there was some mention in the Wexford forum of congestion these days at the N11/N25 roundabout outside Wexford Town
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057735950

There may be a case to upgrade the N11 from Oylegate to the N25 (including an improved junction) sooner rather than later

Rosslare port should be taken off Irish Rail (why-tf are they running a port?) and given to some one actually competent that can develop the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

One of the first things I said after the Brexit referendum as that CIE should invest in Rosslare Europort.

The admin costs of clearing a shipment through customs is high (€50-100 per shipment) even before VAT and Duty, and will lead to the costs of importing and exporting goods increasing across the board. A direct connection from Rosslare to Cherbourg / Roscoff etc. Would be very busy.

I also do not understand why IE are not pushing to export their rail freight through Rosslare. Even with TIR the actual clearance of Goods UK-EU and vice versa will make Dover and Felixstowe an absolute mess.

Some excerpts from the submission
    Rosslare Europort is an important economic engine to both the South-East regional and
    national economies. NPF policy support should be given to improved connectivity to the port
    (road and rail) and to maximising the post Brexit role and capacity of the port.
    Rosslare Europort
    Rosslare Europort is the nearest Irish Seaport to the Continental Mainland, as well as having the shortest crossing from the Republic of Ireland to the UK. Rosslare Europort is the second largest seaport in the country for unitised freight.
    Improving connectivity to Rosslare Europort will be a key priority over the NPF planning horizon, both in terms of connectivity to the port hinterland and international links to the UK and continental Europe. The implications of Brexit will make Rosslare Europort and its international connectivity become even more important. Improving road connectivity to the port (M11/N24/N25/N80), as well as the potential for developing rail freight, are key priorities.
    The key strategic infrastructural development priorities for Rosslare Europort over the period of the NPF, that are necessary to enhance and maximise the potential of the port are;
    • To deepen the port to accommodate modern larger high-capacity vessels
    Figure 1
    • To develop the port into a multi-modal facility including the development of a rail-freight interface (as the port has an existing rail link)
    Both strategic priorities have the potential to deliver significant benefits to the regional / national economy and act a strong counter-weight to Dublin, which is increasingly congested.
    Key Message: Rosslare Europort is an important economic engine to both the South-East regional and national economies. NPF policy support should be given to improved connectivity to the port (road and rail) and to maximising the post Brexit role and capacity of the port.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wexford has got 2 large motorway schemes costing around €500m in total at the minute. This should do for the minute given that it'll considerably improve journey times especially on the N25.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Wexford has got 2 large motorway schemes costing around €500m in total at the minute. This should do for the minute given that it'll considerably improve journey times especially on the N25.

Totally agree. Once the N11 and N25 new sections are finished, then virtually all of both routes will have been replaced and significantly upgraded over the past 30 years- I don't see the rush to replace perfectly good single carriageway (i.e. N25 bypass around Wexford), when the traffic figures are around the 5-10k mark daily.
    If anything, I'd be focusing any attention on the N80 after that.

Traffic volumes are higher than that on ring road and section between Ferrycarrig and Oylegate. About 15k in 2007 I think. It fall down to 7k on n25 as you get nearer to Rosslare Harbour.

Main issue could be that n25 n11 junction.

Traffic volumes are higher than that on ring road and section between Ferrycarrig and Oylegate. About 15k in 2007 I think. It fall down to 7k on n25 as you get nearer to Rosslare Harbour.

Still not an immediate priority. These roads were extensively upgraded late 80s/early 90s. There's still many busier/as busy routes of goat track standard that have never had an upgrade in half a century bar a new surface etc
    Upgrade the roundabouts and close off some junctions and the Wexford bypass will do fine for another good while.

Still not an immediate priority. These roads were extensively upgraded late 80s/early 90s. There's still many busier/as busy routes of goat track standard that have never had an upgrade in half a century bar a new surface etc
    Upgrade the roundabouts and close off some junctions and the Wexford bypass will do fine for another good while. Much of it is local commuter traffic in any case

road_high wrote:
    Still not an immediate priority.
    Maybe not, but this thread is discussing what may be needed post brexit.

• Advertisement

Maybe not, but this thread is discussing what may be needed post brexit.

We're not sure what may happen post brexit but as it stands The roads which were extensively upgraded late 80s/early 90s are still perfectly adequate and with some junctions and roundabout improvements can still be. We can't speak about the N11/25 in isolation as the funding may be needed more critically elsewhere that's why I may the comparison.
    A few suggestions I'd have are upgrade the roundabouts like the ones on the N10 kilkenny ring road which are wide and allow traffic flow to proceed in two lanes.
    Get rid of that dangerous Johnstown castle junction and upgrade that flyover to a graded junction. Perhaps then it may even be possible to widen the stretch from the Whitford to Rosslare Rdabout to 2+2 carriageway.

road_high wrote: »
    A few suggestions I'd have are upgrade the roundabouts like the ones on the N10 kilkenny ring road which are wide and allow traffic flow to proceed in two lanes.
    Get rid of that dangerous Johnstown castle junction and upgrade that flyover to a graded junction. Perhaps then it may even be possible to widen the stretch from the Whitford to Rosslare Rdabout to 2+2 carriageway.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, I think an at grade/muh improved N11/N25 junction wold be more important than a replacement for the Johnstown CastleJunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Witnessed first hand the delays between the roundabouts on the Wexford ring road,2nd gear was the highest until I eventually got through the last one headed back to Enniscorthy.
    This issue will need to be addressed if priority is put on Rosslare Europort.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's the main reason behind the volume of traffic?

422287.JPG

It's effectively Wexford Relief road as well as a bypass. I'd say easily 50% of the traffic is local- Wexford town is very narrow (medieval) and built on a hill. Not easy get around so people use the N25.
    Also peak loadings at ferry times and rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Stena recently revised their sailing times on the Rosslare/Fishguard route too. You now have a sailing arriving in at 16:30 (and therefore traffic hitting the Wexford bypass from 17:00ish) just in time for the evening rush (such as it is).

It might be my imagination, but I think the bypass got perceptably worse when that sailing kicked in.

Advertisement