Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eGolf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Same as what happens when you run out of petrol / diesel, billy few mates. Tow truck will come and lift the car and bring you to either your home or the nearest charging station, whichever you prefer. Most EVs come with this service included for a few years (Ioniq does) and most comp insurance polices have this included too, so it won't cost you anything but there is of course the inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Never happened to me in 250k km. Always have a plan B and enough spare juice to execute it.

Of course if they doubled up on the rapid chargers we wouldn't have to worry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

What's the Irish cost? New job coming and 10% left on my leaf is too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

€36k basic price.
    If you were ordering one, what extras would you choose..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

€36k basic price. If you were ordering one, what extras would you choose..?

I would change the wheels, don't like the standard wheels on the e golf

IrishHomer wrote: »

I don’t like the look of them either but I think they’re specifically designed for the car with lower drag than the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I love them, makes the car stand out versus standard Golf

If I had the cash I would add:

Tinted Rear Windows(Im getting them done on my own)
    Vienna Leather Pack
    Folding Mirrors

Now please note my car does have majority of other stuff already including
    Automatic Parking
    Parking Sensors
    Wifi Network in car
    Cruise control/speed limiter
    Heated Seats etc etc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If I had the cash I would add:

Tinted Rear Windows(Im getting them done on my own)
    Vienna Leather Pack
    Folding Mirrors

Now please note my car does have majority of other stuff already including
    Automatic Parking
    Parking Sensors
    Wifi Network in car
    Cruise control/speed limiter
    Heated Seats etc etc

Are heated seats included as standard on the eGolf?
    Likewise the heated windscreen?

• Advertisement

Are heated seats included as standard on the eGolf?
    Likewise the heated windscreen?

No idea if standard, I bought mine second hand.

Looking at the pricing guide they look like optional

https://www.volkswagen.ie/content/dam/vw-ngw/vw_pkw/importers/ie/downloads/product-guides/171002-new-e-golf-september-2017.pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/original./171002-new-e-golf-september-2017.pdf

Thanks. Where did you find one second hand? Here or in the UK?

Thanks. Where did you find one second hand? Here or in the UK?

It was Phil in Electric Auto's Kildare. I was talking to him about other cars and he got it in, I think it came in on Monday and I bought Tuesday morning:P

Nice quick turn around sale....it was a PCP car from UK so was pristine.

I know the other eGolf owner on Facebook found an ex Dealer Demo over in UK and he went over and drove it home. They are rare to find. There is one on carzone which I would guess is ex Dealer Demo....they dropped the price of it recently, it is the same battery as mine so not the newer one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Herself got one last week, she went with the 12" active info, tech pack and metallic. The active info is a nice touch-basically a digital screen instead of the standard instrument binnacle. Standard kit level is also decent.

Has anyone on managed to get a 7Kw/32A charger from the ESB? Seems the only one they free issue & fit is the 16A?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

glynf wrote: »
    Herself got one last week, she went with the 12" active info, tech pack and metallic. The active info is a nice touch-basically a digital screen instead of the standard instrument binnacle. Standard kit level is also decent.

Has anyone on managed to get a 7Kw/32A charger from the ESB? Seems the only one they free issue & fit is the 16A?

Did she pick it up at Frank Keane VW? :pac:

They were very subtle with their advertising.

goz83 wrote: »
    Did she pick it up at Frank Keane VW? :pac:

They were very subtle with their advertising.

I hate when they do that. I remove all the crap off the car as soon as I receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

eCars only provide a 16A one but it can be flashed to 32A. Just make sure that you get 32A capable cable installed from your distribution unit to the charge point. You can flash it later if/when you have a 7kW capable car.

However, I don't think its going to matter to you in the short term as, by my reading of the eGolf spec, it only has 16A charging capability anyway so a 32A charger point won't make any difference to you.

Beautiful car. Best of luck with it.

In regards to charger I was getting a 16A one supplied with car but done a bit of dealing with Phil and he upped it to 32amp and then got electrician to install.

I think if you check a few people have been able to negotiate with the install crowd to up the free one. If you check on the Facebook group IEVO you will see they are always on it. Nigel Daly is crowd name. Beware because some of the pricing they put out is very very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,435 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Volkswagen-Golf-eGOLF-Electric-white-CVT-/222650182613?hash=item33d6fc2bd5:g:Yk4AAOSwjaRZu0Bn

Nice EGolf
    With exchange rate could be got for 19k Euro if the difference can be haggled off.

Thanks for the replies, I will check out the FB group.

I think it has 32A capability; I plugged it in to a 22Kw charger the other evening with about 120km (or so on standard mode) range/50% charge left and the car charging info display was estimating 2 hours 10 mins to full charge. As its 35Kw battery with a little over half charge, it would require about 16-18Kw to fully charge, so going by the car that's about 7Kw per hour. Newbie here so maybe I'm well off with those figures.

No where in the manual does it mention max charging capacity, in fact its very vague re. technical specs of the car.

That sticker will be gone soon as, a hair dryer will make short work of it :)

Nice car and really nice colour, well wear with it.
    I always thought it was a shame that VW didn't put the charging point on the front behind the logo like they do on the GTE, I think that looks really cool.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I will check out the FB group.

I think it has 32A capability; I plugged it in to a 22Kw charger the other evening with about 120km (or so on standard mode) range/50% charge left and the car charging info display was estimating 2 hours 10 mins to full charge. As its 35Kw battery with a little over half charge, it would require about 16-18Kw to fully charge, so going by the car that's about 7Kw per hour. Newbie here so maybe I'm well off with those figures.

No where in the manual does it mention max charging capacity, in fact its very vague re. technical specs of the car.

That sticker will be gone soon as, a hair dryer will make short work of it :)

Maybe it has 32A capability but based on the specs on the Irish and UK website they specifically only show 3.6kW charging and no optional extra to upgrade to 7kW.

So, either VW have done themselves a disservice by not showing it in the specs or the car doesn't have it.

Last page, bottom left corner of this doc:
    https://www.volkswagen.ie/content/dam/vw-ngw/vw_pkw/importers/ie/downloads/product-guides/171002-new-e-golf-september-2017.pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/original./171002-new-e-golf-september-2017.pdf

Question if you don't mind me asking. On the maps are you able to put in Eircode? The maps on my car are from 2015 and they are great but don't have Eircode option. I end up using google maps on phone instead but I wouldnt mind investing a few quid to update the maps if I can just slot in Eircode

Question if you don't mind me asking. On the maps are you able to put in Eircode? The maps on my car are from 2015 and they are great but don't have Eircode option. I end up using google maps on phone instead but I wouldnt mind investing a few quid to update the maps if I can just slot in Eircode

I have not tried to, I will have a look this evening & post the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Wow, I just called the Volkswagen section at Michael Moore in Athlone and asked salesman if or when he'd have an e golf or golf GTE for to see and test drive. He basically hadn't a clue about them and dismissed them immediately he said he has nobody interested in electric and he recommended i consider petrol golfs instead. I am very disappointed as this is my local big midlands VW main dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wow, I just called the Volkswagen section at Michael Moore in Athlone and asked salesman if or when he'd have an e golf or golf GTE for to see and test drive. He basically hadn't a clue about them and dismissed them immediately recommending I consider petrol golfs instead. I am very disappointed as this is my local big midlands VW main dealer.

When the first model launched it was exclusively via Frank Keane only. This may still be the case except for some odd used models.

Wow, I just called the Volkswagen section at Michael Moore in Athlone and asked salesman if or when he'd have an e golf or golf GTE for to see and test drive. He basically hadn't a clue about them and dismissed them immediately he said he has nobody interested in electric and he recommended i consider petrol golfs instead. I am very disappointed as this is my local big midlands VW main dealer.

LOL, unbelievable stuff.

Not the fact that he didn't have a clue about electric Golfs, but that he didn't recommend a diesel! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Dont be just take your trade else where. Nallys im ballymahon good for the ioniq

I had similar experience in that garage. I had bought the A6 from them and I can tell you it wasn't cheap. Got back in contact to see about staying with them and buying eGolf.

He knew what it was but then said straight away they don't sell and why would I change an A6 for electric golf. I told him I wanted something for city driving. Was offered a GTE as they only sold them. Got a price but it was ridiculous. When I asked why I couldnt get price for eGolf he just said they didnt know how to service....walked away

Shefwedfan,

I had a look there-tried entering new destination address, country, city street, house number but no option to enter an eircode that I can see.

I think only a small few of the VW garages will be selling EVs and PHEVs for the time being, but yes, the couple of dealers I spoke to seemed completely disinterested in trying to sell them. I got the vibe that if you really want one they’ll get you one but they won’t actually try to sell you one, I was asked to make an appointment if I wanted to drive one and emails and phone calls went unanswered, I eventually went up to NI to drive one, they were a lot more helpful and really tried hard to source a suitable car but with no luck so far.

• Advertisement

Try this guy, seemed to know his stuff when I talked to him earlier this year

Chris Deasy

New Car Sales Executive
    Frank Keane Volkswagen
    Liffey Valley Motor Mall`

Sorry to put that better, seemed to know more than any of the other guys I talked to

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Wow, I just called the Volkswagen section at Michael Moore in Athlone and asked salesman if or when he'd have an e golf or golf GTE for to see and test drive. He basically hadn't a clue about them and dismissed them immediately he said he has nobody interested in electric and he  recommended i consider petrol golfs instead. I am very disappointed as this is my local big midlands VW main dealer.
    Wow that is such terrible information. even if they not for them should refer properly.

Looks like a reasonable price for a Mar 2016 eGolf...
    https://00352.usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/egolf-mbbfsq5

Landed in Ireland for about €20500

€21500 landed

Still a pretty sweet deal for an eGolf, pity it's white.

KCross wrote: »
    https://00352.usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/egolf-mbbfsq5

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

White is a great colour, darker colours show every nick and scratch especially the darker they are.

White is for vans :pac:

Just looks cheap on cars imho

I see loads of Audis and BMWs in white a d they look great.

The black and white Leaf looks good too.

unkel wrote: »
    White is for vans :pac:

Just looks cheap on cars imho

I know years ago there used to be loads of white cars on the road. Then more or less none for donkey years

Then circa 2013 suddenly everyone wanted white cars....now I see loads of them....

Personally I hate white cars because then you cant pick out the Garda :p:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement

White is in vogue now, but that will hopefully pass soon enough. For many decades white was just the cheapest option as it was a solid colour (not metallic) and often the only solid colour you could get. Perfect for Paddy spec cars as the solid colour was free, metallic colours would cost quite a bit extra.

Personally I hate white cars because then you cant pick out the Garda :p:p:p:p:p

The reflective strips, blue lights and the GARDA written on it wouldn't be a give-a-way no ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Is that the 35.8kWh version? What's the real world motorway range?

Nah, it's the 26.5kWh, EPA range 134km. At 120km/h real speed I'd estimate the range to be around 110km (this is a lot better than Leaf 24kWh)

Thanks Unkel, its of zero interest to me then.

For less money you can buy a brand new Leaf 30kWh. Not sure how far it would get at 120km/h real speed. And for a few grand more you could have either Ioniq or Leaf 2 brand new and they can do about 180km/h at motorway speeds, the Leaf probably a bit more.

If that's not enough you will have to wait longer and start saving more :)

• Advertisement

Need to make 210km reliably on the motorway at the moment so I'll be waiting a while longer. A 40kWh Ioniq would be ideal I think.

33 Kwh I3 Rex would do the job no problem.

Not a fan of the i3 looks and would prefer to go totally electric if possible. Also, haven't seen definitive evidence that it would qualify for the zero BIK rate next year.

KCross wrote: »

Nice car, getting close.
    Hopefully we’ll start seeing a few more nearly new or second hand models starting to appear on sale. Seems a lot less hassle to nip over to the UK to pick one up than trying to get anyone from VW Ireland to try and sell you one... :rolleyes:

air wrote: »
    Is that the 35.8kWh version? What's the real world motorway range?

I have 151 eGolf. I get 140km daily in it at least. That is mixture of motorway & city driving.

If doing Motorway driving I get circa 100km-110km and that would be sticking to 110kmph. I haven't really pushed it to the limit yet on a full motorway drive but I would expect to get at least 100km going at 120kmph. If the weather is warm then no issues as the eGolf loves warm weather.

Only other driver I have really talked to is on N roads majority of time and he get 170km per charge, he has 15X model as well. . Suggests that I drive it like a lunatic :P

210km would be newer model which is on sale now. Based on my model I would suggest you would be able to do 210km no problem but I would get a test drive and see.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement