Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we really back to this sh*t again?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Is there a decent source Just wiki you know. Any on the OECD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's true but would they strip out the new cars holidays and alike to live pretty frugally ? Ireland has an odd obsession with owning a house I.E a family home Kind of like the UK. A lot of Europeans rent.

If you are bringing in 3k+ a month after tax, then putting away 500 is not going to leave you living frugally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Completely disagree, what people outside the pale want is high speed trains to Dublin and world class public transport, it's only a little island it's shouldn't be this hard to get around.

But that's never going to happen with our tax and transport model. They want that but don't want to pay for it. They're perfectly happy pay €450K for a house in Portmarnock though because that's 'theirs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

These and the likes could be the properties that the future vultures hoover up in time. I hope not.

Anyway, how many folk are still living in their houses not having paid a penny on the mortgage for years. Remember the Killiney couple?

Most of us play by the rules, others play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah yes, the common misconception of banking. banks are no longer 'facilitators', they create the majority of money we use! they are not just players in game but in fact major players. something of which conventional economists fail to realise.

That's just a load of words thrown together without reason and without substance.

Point me im the direction of a conventional economist that doesn't realise that banks are major players in the financial game!

What a nonsense post.

Considering you quoted my post, It's not the banks fault that idiots overstretch. When you're hungry walking past a river, would you jump in because it's full of fish???

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's just a load of words thrown together without reason and without substance.

Point me im the direction of a conventional economist that doesn't realise that banks are major players in the financial game!

What a nonsense post.

Considering you quoted my post, It's not the banks fault that idiots overstretch. When you're hungry walking past a river, would you jump in because it's full of fish???

Banks were well aware of what was going on. Could have followed procedures and checked things. You know like a credit union loan for a deposit. It happened all over the world with property. Remember the papers telling you that you were a fool not to get on the ladder whether owning or letting. Is one a believer of Enda and We all went mad ? I rent thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

What a nonsense post.

It is the banks fault. And the regulators fault. They were the experts. Their economists talked up the economy or dismissed the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Banks were well aware of what was going on. Could have followed procedures and checked things. You know like a credit union loan for a deposit. It happened all over the world with property. Remember the papers telling you that you were a fool not to get on the ladder whether owning or letting. Is one a believer of Enda and We all went mad ? I rent thanks.

The CU loan for a deposit still happens today. There's ways to do it that the bank won't find out about. The fact that people still do it shows that you can't save everybody from themselves.

Banks, papers, Enda, credit union loan. You've blamed everyone apart from the house buyer??

I'm not one of those people that overstretched so it's irrelevant to me, however to say that the banks were to blame is hilarious. Fair play to you for renting by the way, hopefully the day you're smarter than most and haven't blown your money on a house means that you've got a decent pension built up with your surplus income and you aren't depending on the tax payer to fund your retirement.

• Advertisement

The CU loan for a deposit still happens today. There's ways to do it that the bank won't find out about. The fact that people still do it shows that you can't save everybody from themselves.

True but you could gather from the size of the deposit and ask basic questions. Most people would not think ahead to much and have thought about how to answer. Along with allowing multiples of wages was the other issue.

Banks, papers, Enda, credit union loan. You've blamed everyone apart from the house buyer??

I'm not one of those people that overstretched so it's irrelevant to me, however to say that the banks were to blame is hilarious. Fair play to you for renting by the way, hopefully the day you're smarter than most and haven't blown your money on a house means that you've got a decent pension built up with your surplus income and you aren't depending on the tax payer to fund your retirement.

I rented during the boom and didn't buy. Major mistake. If I had bought and had a tracker mortgage I would have twice the house now at the same per monthly cost.

But it's not up to normal people to be financial experts.

Yes I blame everyone in relation to Regulation. If you think the banks did not know what was going on I cannot help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

jester77 wrote: »
    Yeah, but if you take 2 people saving just 500 each a month then you are at 180k after 15 years, plus then add in your return on investment and you should be over 200k. Someone after 15 years of working can put a lot more than 500 away a month, so 300k is far from unrealistic.

I find it hard to believe that anyone like this was sitting pretty in 2011 with circa 120k and rather than buy elected to sit pretty and wait.

I rented during the boom and didn't buy. Major mistake. If I had bought and had a tracker mortgage I would have twice the house now at the same per monthly cost.

No but it's up to normal people to know what they can/cannot afford.

That's why the banks pay huge wages to not have monkey remember :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

There are a tiny handful of areas like that left in Dublin. There are large areas people won't even dare look at, and I actually don't think it's purely down to safety. There is defiantly a snobbery about property in Dublin.

hah, I recall putting a link up on one particular thread a couple of years back to a nice looking SD for sale on a quiet cul-de-sac off St. Mary's road.

I got a reply something like of 'ughh, why would I be interested in a house in crumlin, I want to leave alongside doctors and bankers, not tradesmen and white van owners'.
    Says it all really, although I suspect boards.ie contains a higher proportion of snobs than the general population.

True but you could gather from the size of the deposit and ask basic questions. Most people would not think ahead to much and have thought about how to answer. Along with allowing multiples of wages was the other issue.

All you have to do is say that it was a gift from your parents and get them to sign a gift letter.

Most people would combine it with their own bit of savings so it doesn't stick out as much.

Plenty of idiots out there who are still dying to over-burden themselves with debt.

Idiots don't think ahead.

I used to be sent CC offers Gold, Platinum like most of people in my industry. You think allowing someone to buy on 100-110% mortgages was not the banks fault. Also allowing dodge wage calculations.

• Advertisement

How can the banks not work out that the deposit isn't saved? They are looking for proof of savings anyway regardless of the deposit.

How can the banks not work out that the deposit isn't saved? They are looking for proof of savings anyway regardless of the deposit.

As I stated above, it's easily passed off as a 'family gift' in many cases.

All you have to do is say that it was a gift from your parents and get them to sign a gift letter.

Most people would combine it with their own bit of savings so it doesn't stick out as much.

Plenty of idiots out there who are still dying to over-burden themselves with debt.

So you are saying financial experts are incompetent and cannot ask Questions ? Where I am from you get put though the ringer for a mortgage. Extremely detailed financial information is Required. 20k suddenly showing up in your bank account would be a red flag even as a gift you would be asked for a transfer trail.

It's up to the banks to stress test that.

Again who are the supposed experts here?

I used to be sent CC offers Gold, Platinum like most of people in my industry. You think allowing someone to buy on 100-110% mortgages was not the banks fault. Also allowing dodge wage calculations.

Do you seriously believe that people didn't realise they were over stretching and taking mortgages that they could not afford?? That it wasn't all about keeping up with the Jonses???

Sure the financial institutions, particularly the regulater acted irresponsibly but the greed of the general public was the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's absolutely human nature to go for broke, it's absolutely the job of the banks to make sure people aren't. Let's not pretend like either party is blameless here or that shenanigans don't go on.

It's up to the banks to stress test that.

Again who are the supposed experts here?

They did stress test?? Stress test should have been a limit not a target. But joe soap saw the stress test max amount as his mortgage

Do you seriously believe that people didn't realise they were over stretching and taking mortgages that they could not afford?? That it wasn't all about keeping up with the Jonses???

Sure the financial institutions, particularly the regulater acted irresponsibly but the greed of the general public was the main issue.

Look you are getting me wrong on absolving everyone. Yes plenty did this. But plenty got told to via media or the banks. I was saying to mates now crippled in houses in negative equity don't buy. Thy called me a fool. You could see with the amount of credit around something was very very wrong.

So you are saying financial experts are incompetent and cannot ask Questions ? Where I am from you get put though the ringer for a mortgage. Extremely detailed financial information is Required. 20k suddenly showing up in your bank account would be a red flag even as a gift you would be asked for a transfer trail.

I've heard of it working for other people. Obviously i'm not privy to their bank accounts but I don't know why they would have reason to lie to me about it.

Also have you ever been on the saving for a mortgage thread on boards. Many posters mention getting 'gifts' from their family which they have every intention of paying back once the mortgage is drawn down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Yes I blame everyone in relation to Regulation. If you think the banks did not know what was going on I cannot help.

It takes two to tango. Yes, the banks were incompetent, did not run their affairs well. But they people were equally at fault, and didnt have the wit to resist cheap credit, save, or consider that they party might not continue for ever. Both acted very poorly. But to jointly sleep walk into one crash may be regarded as misfortune, but to do so twice looks like carelessness, and would knock us a notch below the Greeks, current holders of the dumbest country in Europe, exacerbated by being more corrupt and tax cheating than the rest. But we will steal their crown if we get it wrong so quickly again, while the price is still being paid for the the last bout of senselessness.

Advertisement