Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Student Controller Programme 2018

Options
  • 12-02-2017 11:29am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 10


    I applied for the student controller programme and I was just wondering how long did it take for people to hear back?
    Tagged:


«1345

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter


    LORD A wrote: »
    I applied for the student controller programme and I was just wondering how long did it take for people to hear back?

    To whom did you apply?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 LORD A


    To whom did you apply?

    Oh my apologies, I applied through the IAA via their online application


  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok


    You will not be contacted until they start the recruitment competition. Plan was to start the process before the end of Q1, but this may now be delayed to run more advertising prior to the competition.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 LORD A


    faoiarvok wrote: »
    You will not be contacted until they start the recruitment competition. Plan was to start the process before the end of Q1, but this may now be delayed to run more advertising prior to the competition.

    Oh right I see, you wouldn't know how delayed it wil be? Apologies I could not find out on the website


  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok


    Afraid not, that's second hand information – so a couple grains of salt could be appropriate.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 LORD A


    faoiarvok wrote: »
    Afraid not, that's second hand information – so a couple grains of salt could be appropriate.

    Haha thanks for the reply mate, just a waiting game I suppose!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter


    New recruitment has launched.
    We are currently accepting applications and will invite those applicants who meet the minimum requirements to begin the selection process.

    Applications close on 15th March 2017.

    Closing date is 15/3/2017.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DeltaOscar


    Has anyone else applied for this? I filled the form out on their website but haven't had any corespondance yet?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal


    Reading the small print there is no allowance/payments made to the candidate during the 16 months of training, just something to think about before applying.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe


    Bsal wrote: »
    Reading the small print there is no allowance/payments made to the candidate during the 16 months of training, just something to think about before applying.
    Big picture Bsal. Students in college don't get paid to go either except by their parents. To those applying I think it is a wonderful job and have the height of respect for ATC people. Having flown professionally all around the world I deem Irish ATC as total pros and excellent controllers.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭marketty


    duskyjoe wrote:
    Big picture Bsal. Students in college don't get paid to go either except by their parents. To those applying I think it is a wonderful job and have the height of respect for ATC people. Having flown professionally all around the world I deem Irish ATC as total pros and excellent controllers.


    You have a point, but this isn't college, so no grant or back to education allowance, effectively meaning only those still dependent on parents need apply, so pretty much ruling out people 25+. The whole concept of the aptitude testing is that it should be open to pretty much all backgrounds, and candidates judged by their aptitude as demonstrated in testing. To narrow the pool of those who can be tested to just young people whose parents can afford it is quite short sighted by the iaa in my humble opinion. Remember many of those excellent controllers you have encountered were paid enough to get by during training and I'm sure some may not have been able to afford to enter the career otherwise. Successful students will be paid a very good salary for the next 30-40 years, would it not be a good investment to provide accommodation and a modest allowance for the 2 years of training?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh


    NATS are hiring also, along with Eurocontrol, if you fancy getting out of Ireland.....

    both paid, although wages are pants until first rating (18 months to 2 years)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭marketty


    arccosh wrote:
    NATS are hiring also, along with Eurocontrol, if you fancy getting out of Ireland.....

    arccosh wrote:
    both paid, although wages are pants until first rating (18 months to 2 years)


    Under 25 only for Eurocontrol. NATS seem to have a good approach, trainee wage with an accommodation allowance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DeltaOscar


    Has anyone got an invite to an assessment yet?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe


    What duskyjoe is also forgetting is that ATC students are routinely gazumped by Air Corps ATCOs leaving to join the IAA system and they certainly don't work for free. It is a cynical move by the IAA to avoid paying a trainee, who may fail, so it puts the burden on the trainee. Given the cost of housing and transport and living in Dublin, this is one hell of a hit on the pocket. Equating it with college is wrong.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter


    Stovepipe wrote: »
    Given the cost of housing and transport and living in Dublin Shannon, this is one hell of a hit on the pocket. Equating it with college is wrong.
    Corrected it for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders


    Got my invitation to assesment this morning. Anyone else on April 4th?


  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭CiboC


    I got 6th April @ 11:45


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DeltaOscar


    Does it mean something if I haven't go an invite yet or is it just different for everyone? Did ye get it be email?


  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭CiboC


    Mine was by email, but didn't arrive until 1530 this afternoon.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter


    DeltaOscar wrote: »
    Does it mean something if I haven't go an invite yet or is it just different for everyone? Did ye get it be email?

    Check your junk mail folder just in case.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 LORD A


    I got my email yesterday at around half three. I was aware of the fact that we will not be paid if we get through to the training however at 19 i have nothing to lose.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DeltaOscar


    Do ye think I should ring them if I haven't got an invite at this stage? My understanding was that they were inviting everyone who met the requirements to the next stage which I do?


  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MissMcAttack


    Yes I got an email on the 23rd, I have my assessment on April 4th! Tests will be pretty tricky but they said in the information email that there isn't any practicing you can do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin


    Anyone else apply but not get called for assessments?

    DeltaOscar - did you phone them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane


    Yes I got an email on the 23rd, I have my assessment on April 4th! Tests will be pretty tricky but they said in the information email that there isn't any practicing you can do.

    I've done the tests twice, you can try doing standard aptitude tests for spatial awareness etc. It won't make you good at it if you're not already, but it will get your head working the right way if you know what I mean. You'll have a better idea of what to look for.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DeltaOscar


    Finally, I got an email for an assessment on the 19th of April at 11:45. I was getting worried for a while that I had messed something up on the application.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ambitious


    Does anyone know what the starting salary is?


  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders


    ambitious wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the starting salary is?

    51k I believe


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok


    rudders wrote: »
    51k I believe

    Not anymore


Advertisement