Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper bus lanes

Options
  • 08-02-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭

DCC Traffic tweeted recently that the much-abused bus lane on the N1/Swords road inbound (near Whitehall church) has been upgraded so that it is now separated from the other lanes by bollards. They start on the ramp from the flyover and end about 20m before the junction, with a gap to allow entry into the church car park.

https://twitter.com/dcctraffic/status/828530457625100288

As someone who spent a long time each day sitting on buses stuck in a traffic jam full of inconsiderate jerks, I'm delighted by this move and I hope it's extended to include lots of other bus lanes around the city. I don't live on that side of the city any more and I rarely take the bus any more but I'm 100% behind this.

Unfortunately, AGS still had to make an appearance today to stop people driving in the bus lane.

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/829305290151571457

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm sure there would be legal issues with ownership of data, chain of evidence, etc., but surely it's in dublin bus's interests to pass dashcam footage of people abusing bus lanes to the gardai?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think it's a bit embarrassing that the road has to be segregated like this. If there's an obstruction there are limited alternatives.

Does it take much force to flex those bollards down if they need to be driven over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I think it's a bit embarrassing that the road has to be segregated like this. If there's an obstruction there are limited alternatives.

Does it take much force to flex those bollards down if they need to be driven over?

Nope, they bend right over. Might scratch the paint tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Was there on Tuesday evening . People where still abusing the bus lane by entering in the gaps left to maintain local access .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

was there this morning at 9:10am traffic backed up to near the tunnel.
    This is going to be a disaster for people who use this road at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

AdrianII wrote: »

But fantastic news for the much greater number of people who use this road by bus. Greater good and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

AdrianII wrote: »

Well that goes to show how much the Law was being broken and how much the measures were necessary. Perhaps a few more people will abandon the car and catch the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

I think it's a bit embarrassing that the road has to be segregated like this.

Paris went for the more expensive, more aesthetically pleasing but less flexible approach. They've had bus lanes like this for over a decade.
    img_2993buslane.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I used to live beside the flyover and would sometimes get the bus up to Drumcondra station to get the train in the morning. Bus would usually take about 20 min, half of that would easily be spent on that stretch of road, barely moving. Once you got past Collin's Ave you were flying.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

markpb wrote: »
    Paris went for the more expensive, more aesthetically pleasing but less flexible approach. They've had bus lanes like this for over a decade.

A far more elegant solution

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

AngryLips wrote: »

Unless you're a cyclist or pedestrian with a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

AngryLips wrote: »

And a lot more expensive

What about buses coming from the motorway? They're more stuck in the traffic now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

eeguy wrote: »
    Unless you're a cyclist or pedestrian with a buggy.

I've never had a problem with curbs as either.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Some thought needs to be given to the policy of giving taxis unlimited, cost-free access to bus lanes too.

Bray Head wrote: »
    Some thought needs to be given to the policy of giving taxis unlimited, cost-free access to bus lanes too.

I thought they are only meant to use it when carrying passengers or on their way to a pickup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'on the way to a pickup' covers all eventualities though. maybe not in theory, but it's a get out of jail card for any taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Isambard wrote: »
    Perhaps a few more people will abandon the car and catch the bus.

Unless they put more buses on it'll just mean that the regular users are left standing at the bus stop as full buses fly past, the ex-car drivers will be getting on nearer the terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the ultimate aim for any City would be more public transport, less cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They don't need the be driven over. Cars aren't allowed into them , move on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless they put more buses on it'll just mean that the regular users are left standing at the bus stop as full buses fly past, the ex-car drivers will be getting on nearer the terminus.

Of course they are planning to expand bus services! See new routes and extra buses coming to Dublin Bus.

Also the planned BRT, the first line of which is exactly on this road. So it looks like they are already making smaller steps towards this (also note the road widening at the Cat & Cage on this route that easily took 10 minutes off the journey time).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

'on the way to a pickup' covers all eventualities though. maybe not in theory, but it's a get out of jail card for any taxi driver.

Worse still...the current terminology is "In the course of Business" ie; Carrying a passenger,on the way to pick up a pre-booked customer OR plying for hire.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/bus-lanes/

:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This is great to see and TBH I would go as far as saying it's needed along all bus lanes once they turn onto Dorset street up to the flyover. It's such a busy route for buses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What about buses coming from the motorway? They're more stuck in the traffic now?

They could easily fit is bus lane inbound as far back as the Port Tunnel!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Btw for all the people who rant about the NTA never doing anything, I'd bet this is part of or the result of the NTA push for fixing slow points for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

bk wrote: »
    also note the road widening at the Cat & Cage on this route that easily took 10 minutes off the journey time.

The full benefit of which was almost immediately scuppered by the placing of yet more bus stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bk wrote: »
    Of course they are planning to expand bus services! See new routes and extra buses coming to Dublin Bus.

Also the planned BRT, the first line of which is exactly on this road. So it looks like they are already making smaller steps towards this (also note the road widening at the Cat & Cage on this route that easily took 10 minutes off the journey time).

Planning and planned..... They should have the carrot before the stick. The post I was replying to was that hopefully this will get more people onto buses, are the buses at rush hour not already at full capacity? So more people on buses means that the current bus users closer to the city are skipped because more people are getting on closer to the terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Worse still...the current terminology is "In the course of Business" ie; Carrying a passenger,on the way to pick up a pre-booked customer OR plying for hire.

As I understand it, the meter is supposed to be running.

Nevertheless, taxis are strangling the city, there should be measures taken to reduce demand. As a former public servant, I was always horrified by the propensity to order taxis for the most wasteful reasons.

Ordinary people should be encouraged to walk short distances instead, a little exercise would reduce obesity and type 2 diabetes, saving the exchequer money in every way.
    Clogged streets and clogged arteries are both bad for quality of life.

tabbey wrote: »
    Ordinary people should be encouraged to walk short distances
    and extraordinary people should fly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Went past this today and was surprised to see it implemented. Fair play.
    Bray Head wrote: »

I never understood why taxis are allowed to use bus lanes. It just makes no sense to me.

Advertisement