Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Largest church in Ireland to be demolished, replacement one tenth of the size.

Options
  • 05-02-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here already. The aircraft hangar-like concrete monstrosity in Finglas is to be demolished. The 3,500 capacity church will be replaced with a new one of a capacity of 350, presumably to reflect the small congregations of today in what is a very populous area.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/one-of-dublin-s-largest-catholic-churches-to-be-demolished-1.2961481

The surplus land is intended to be used for social housing. I am presuming the RCC will hand over the freehold of this land without consideration and with no conditions attached other than that it be used for social housing. If they do, I applaud them, and there are many other sites within Dublin owned by them which are severely under-used or unused and which could be usefully turned over to the local authorities for similar use.

Of course what they used to do was flog off land at top dollar for private housing developments, even though that land was usually bequeathed to them expressly for use for educational or religious purposes. Of course, this being Ireland, the legality of these land sales has never been questioned and no capital gains tax was charged.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That's going to create a mega pile of recycled concrete chunks.
    The promotion of religion is considered to be "a charitable purpose" under current law, so presumably that is why they don't feel the need to pay tax after selling off a site to developers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the church in donnycarney is a massive monolith too, but they've recently refurbished it (according to links i can find online). it's not exactly graceful, looks a little like a massive telephone exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The first of many. Lots of huge churches going to get the chop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm trying to think of BIG churches now.

You know that one in Whitehall?

That just comes to mind now, can anyone else add....

I'll think as I go. Betcha the biggies in Saith Cainty Dublin will be ok tho.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here already. The aircraft hangar-like concrete monstrosity in Finglas is to be demolished. The 3,500 capacity church will be replaced with a new one of a capacity of 350, presumably to reflect the small congregations of today in what is a very populous area.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/one-of-dublin-s-largest-catholic-churches-to-be-demolished-1.2961481

The surplus land is intended to be used for social housing. I am presuming the RCC will hand over the freehold of this land without consideration and with no conditions attached other than that it be used for social housing. If they do, I applaud them, and there are many other sites within Dublin owned by them which are severely under-used or unused and which could be usefully turned over to the local authorities for similar use.

Of course what they used to do was flog off land at top dollar for private housing developments, even though that land was usually bequeathed to them expressly for use for educational or religious purposes. Of course, this being Ireland, the legality of these land sales has never been questioned and no capital gains tax was charged.

Theres no such entity as the Roman Catholic Church. Each parish or denomination has its own property albeit that there are shared funds and subventions to the bishop/vatican etc. So while some parts of the church have loads of money, others dont. Maybe the priests are selling off the land because they have debts etc.

In any event, while it would be nice if they donated it to the council I wouldnt expect them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I don't know what this has to do with this forum. Shouldn't the other forum be worried about this?

Holy Child in Whitehall is another that's too big, as is my old stomping ground, Our Lady of Victories.

Can't ever see the church donating land for development, though.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Our Lady of Victories.
    Great name BTW. What victory were they thinking about when they named it?
    Possibly a name change will be in order if they "demolish and shrink" it.

recedite wrote: »
    Possibly a name change will be in order if they "demolish and shrink" it.

I dunno, probably victories over enlightenment or liberal atheists or something?

New name probably something like Our Lady of Draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That's going to create a mega pile of recycled concrete chunks..........

They could chop them into little cubes and sell them, some people would love one :

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't know what this has to do with this forum.

You don't think the demolition of the largest church in the country, and its replacement with one one tenth of the size isn't a notable event or a significant marker of social change?
    Shouldn't the other forum be worried about this?

Maybe, but most of them appear to be protestants :)

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,097 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . Of course what they used to do was flog off land at top dollar for private housing developments, even though that land was usually bequeathed to them expressly for use for educational or religious purposes. Of course, this being Ireland, the legality of these land sales has never been questioned and no capital gains tax was charged.
    Of course, this being Ireland, in each case they had to apply to court for approval for the sale, and they had to satisfy the court that the sale proceeds would be applied to the charitable purposes for which the bequest was originally made.

But don't let reality get in the way of your security blanket of comforting preconceptions.

You don't think the demolition of the largest church in the country, and its replacement with one one tenth of the size isn't a notable event or a significant marker of social change?

So post it in After Hours. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as is my old stomping ground, Our Lady of Victories.
    i've been living beside this church for several years now, but have never been inside; is it true that it's more pleasant to look at from the inside than the outside?

gctest50 wrote: »
    They could chop them into little cubes and sell them, some people would love one
    I could see them selling well in Moore Street...
    "Last pieces of the one true church, as blessed by Archbishop McQuaid himself, only €1.99 each..."

i've been living beside this church for several years now, but have never been inside; is it true that it's more pleasant to look at from the inside than the outside?
    I don't know; I've never been inside. It could hardly look any worse inside than outside, though, could it?

Whatever about the demolition of the church being a significant marker of social change, as Hotblack says, it's undoubtedly a giant leap forward for good taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I dunno, probably victories over enlightenment or liberal atheists or something?

Well that's pretty much obvious to anyone with a bare-bones knowledge of the relationship between Church & State in this country. :/

Nothing so prosaic. The title commemorates the victory of the Holy League over the Ottoman navy at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.

Go in and have a look. The internal architecture is amazing and quite beautiful. I think. It even had a soundproof crying room for parents with squawking babies. Having said that, they could probably revert to the school hall that they used to use before it was built and free up a fair bit of prime (for the northside ;)) real estate.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nothing so prosaic. The title commemorates the victory of the Holy League over the Ottoman navy at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.
    Oh boy. The church commemorating victory over the Muslim horde invading Europe is about to be destroyed.
    That is ironic.

Dare I say it might be a good spot for a new Mosque?

Oh boy. The church commemorating victory over the Muslim horde invading Europe is about to be destroyed.
    That is ironic.

I don't think so. The thread is about the church in Finglas. It's kind of gone off at a tangent about other large churches (all on the northside, so far). No plans, yet, to take down OLV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The way things are going, they could just forget about building a new one.

I'm sure there's another church nearby that those who are interested could visit.

In 50yrs time, there will be little need for the newly build church too.

Of course, this being Ireland, in each case they had to apply to court for approval for the sale, and they had to satisfy the court that the sale proceeds would be applied to the charitable purposes for which the bequest was originally made.

Really? Got a cite for any of these court cases?
    It helps of course that the perpetuation of religion is regarded as a charitable activity in itself.
    I would be very surprised if there is any traceability of where this money really ends up, the finances of the RCC are a black hole (blacker even than a priest's socks. None more black.)

Really? Got a cite for any of these court cases?
    It helps of course that the perpetuation of religion is regarded as a charitable activity in itself.
    I would be very surprised if there is any traceability of where this money really ends up, the finances of the RCC are a black hole (blacker even than a priest's socks. None more black.)
    Well, I could have asked for a cite for your claim that the land "was usually bequeathed to them expressly for use for educational or religious purposes", couldn't I? It's only if land is bequeathed to them on terms that they must use it for those purposes (and, therefore, they may not sell it) that they would need to make a court application.

It's called a cy-près application. If using property in the way directed by the donor is no longer a practical or effective way of advancing the objects of the charity to which the donor gave the property (objects which, it is presumed, the donor wished to advance) then the trustees of the charity can apply to court for approval to vary the terms of the gift so the property can be used effectively (which frequently involves selling it, and applying the proceeds to the purposes of the charity).

If there are few or no reported cases to be found of religious institutions applying for approval to sell land (and, at this point, I haven't looked for any) wouldn't that suggest that your original suggestion that the land was given on terms that it would not be sold is wrong?

If there are few or no reported cases to be found of religious institutions applying for approval to sell land (and, at this point, I haven't looked for any) wouldn't that suggest that your original suggestion that the land was given on terms that it would not be sold is wrong?

Where did I say that the land could not be sold? It's what happens to the funds that matters. Various RCC organisations sold various tracts of development land in the 90s in south Dublin for what must have been a pretty penny. It is in the public interest to know what happened to this money - particularly as some of the orders involved have large unpaid debts to the State resulting from the abuse scandals.

Basically all you're saying is that absence of evidence of RCC wrongdoing is evidence of absence of RCC wrongdoing. An ironic twist on the common 'atheists must prove there is no god' fallacy if ever there was one.

speaking of large churches, it's bemusing that when you visit st. peter's in rome, they engage in dick measuring by having markers in the floor showing the size of other, lesser, churches, i assume in a bid to try to impress you even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

was just about to post on this , only heard from my Granda last night it was being bulldozed , he used to be a minister of the Eucharist there. One of Archbishop McQuaids big three legacy churches along with Donnycarney and the one in Ballyfermot.

Surely a sign of the times that a church of its size in such a densely populated area is now only served by two priests and has become so underused that they cant justify the maintenance costs on it anymore.

speaking of the number of priests in the churches too, OLV lost a priest too recently; the PP died before christmas, and he certainly was not an old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

could they start outsourcing the work to Chennai , especially for something like confessions? "hello, my name is Steve Ill be your priest today.... btw would you be interested in our new Sky TV package?" "what youre leaving us for a Protestant church erm maybe we can reduce your Easter dues?"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's not easy to cancel Sky but it's still a lot easier than leaving the RCC!

Whatever about the number of priests (if it's really only two, they'll still struggle with the new downsized church) the building was always impossible to heat, and like a lot of 60s concrete wonders developed problems.

There was a letter in yesterday's Irish Times:
    Sir, – I was surprised at how saddened I was reading Patsy McGarry’s article about the planned demolition of the church in Finglas West (“One of Dublin’s largest Catholic churches to be demolished”, February 3rd).

I served Mass as an altar boy in the Church of the Annunciation, and I have the gammy knees to prove it. The steps to the altar of the temporary but much-loved “tin church” that preceded the “new church” were pure luxury to kneel on compared to the cold marble which led to the altar of the latest incarnation. As the years went on, I froze at wedding and funerals, including the funerals of both my parents, clean hanky in hand, not for the tears but for the runny nose.

The half-empty church, which seemed to rise as high as Liberty Hall, was impossible to heat. But, nonetheless, I will miss it terribly.

Now I live in Co Sligo, and on my infrequent visits back to Dublin by train my heart beats a little faster as we pass Ashtown and I prepare to catch sight of that grey and unattractive building. Just as the Plough can lead the lost traveller to the North Star, so the huge church on the horizon leads me to the very house where my late parents reared their five children.

While religion left me long ago, the Church of the Annunciation still managed to show me the way. – Your, etc,

BRIAN FARRELL,
    Kilmactranny,
    Co Sligo.

It was half-empty even in his day.

• Advertisement

One of Archbishop McQuaids big three legacy churches along with Donnycarney and the one in Ballyfermot.

McQuaid's fingerprints were all over the huge ugly church in Bird Avenue, Clonskeagh too.

Some time in the 50s it was agreed to hold an architectural competition to design the new church, McQuaid overruled the winning entry and substituted his own choice.

1.jpg

Advertisement