Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist godfather to niece for communion and confirmation.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's quiet possible it will just be you and your godchild at the altar. Just remember it's her day. She has been looking forward to it for ages. You should be honoured that of all family members you have been chosen by her. Keep the I was a Catholic but now I am an atheist talk for another day.

Not the case for communion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mod:
    At the risk of upsetting the mod,
    FYI - so long as you adhere to the forum charter, your contributions will be valued and the moderator team will have no wish, and certainly no need, to sanction you. If, however, you post casual insults towards your fellow posters, you will be banned from the forum.

I hope the rules are clear.

- robin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Of course, it's a Catholic sacrament after all and given the ops loathing of the church surely it would be complete hypocracy to attend.

Many Catholics in Ireland today are pretty hypocritical when in comes to observance of their religion as dictated by the church hierarchy, and yet they also go through with these ceremonies, even if only to avoid discrimination in school enrolment at a later stage. As per my initial post, this is where it makes sense to discuss the matter with the child's parents, as how the OP approaches this situation has more to do with their expectations than those of the church. As many people go through these ceremonies to keep the older generation happy and/or to keep up tradition rather than out of respect for the church or through deeply held religious belief. For the kids, it seems to be all about the moolah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

smacl wrote: »
    Many Catholics in Ireland today are pretty hypocritical when in comes to observance of their religion as dictated by the church hierarchy, and yet they also go through with these ceremonies, even if only to avoid discrimination in school enrolment at a later stage. As per my initial post, this is where it makes sense to discuss the matter with the child's parents, as how the OP approaches this situation has more to do with their expectations than those of the church. As many people go through these ceremonies to keep the older generation happy and/or to keep up tradition rather than out of respect for the church or through deeply held religious belief. For the kids, it seems to be all about the moolah.

But this topic is not about 'many catholics in Ireland' It is about the predicament that the op finds himself in . Does his loathing(his word) of the church not make it impossible for him to attend a catholic sacrament?
    Or maybe his loathing is only a sentiment that he expresses when it's safe to do so.

But of course this topic is not about 'many catholics in Ireland' It's about the ops(where has he gone btw) loathing(his word) of the church and how it would be almost unbearable for him to bless himself. I cannot see how he could attend a catholic sacrament given his sentiments. In fact I fail to see why he would even feel the need to seek advice on the matter unless of course his loathing only comes into play now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

But this topic is not about 'many catholics in Ireland' It is about the predicament that the op finds himself in . Does his loathing(his word) of the church not make it impossible for him to attend a catholic sacrament?
    Or maybe his loathing is only a sentiment that he expresses when it's safe to do so.

I 'loath' the church and everything that it stands for. I hate it and I also hate organised religion. It did not stop me from entering a church though. I think that the majority or religious people are hypocrites and that they do not believe the teachings of the church.
    I am a proud atheist but I do not feel the need to discuss it with people and for example if an old person says something like God bless you I just thank them and smile cause I think it is cute.
    I think that the op should not worry so much and should spoil his goddaughter and buy her a nice present - or give her a nice bit of cash - seems to be all the communion is about for kids anyway.

AryaStark wrote: »
    I 'loath' the church and everything that it stands for. I hate it and I also hate organised religion. It did not stop me from entering a church though. I think that the majority or religious people are hypocrites and that they do not believe the teachings of the church.
    I am a proud atheist but I do not feel the need to discuss it with people and for example if an old person says something like God bless you I just thank them and smile cause I think it is cute.
    I think that the op should not worry so much and should spoil his goddaughter and buy her a nice present - or give her a nice bit of cash - seems to be all the communion is about for kids anyway.

But the fact that you think that ' the majority of religios people are hypocrites' would not make it less hypocrytical for you to attend a catholic sacrament given that you loath and hate the church.

But the fact that you think that ' the majority of religios people are hypocrites' would not make it less hypocrytical for you to attend a catholic sacrament given that you loath and hate the church.

I think you've made that same point about 6 times now. We get that's your opinion on the matter. Repeating it over and over is not going to change anyone's mind.

But of course this topic is not about 'many catholics in Ireland' It's about the ops(where has he gone btw) loathing(his word) of the church and how it would be almost unbearable for him to bless himself. I cannot see how he could attend a catholic sacrament given his sentiments. In fact I fail to see why he would even feel the need to seek advice on the matter unless of course his loathing only comes into play now and again.

Loathsome as these things are (I tend to agree with the OPs sentiments on this one) sometime you've just got to suck it up and take one for the team. We do these things for the ones we love, be it family or friends, simple as that. The OPs question really relates to what is expected of him, where the only expectations that count in this scenario are those of his family and most importantly, his niece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

buy her a nice present - or give her a nice bit of cash - seems to be all the communion is about for kids anyway.

A major generalisation ...

In my children's 1st Communion days, only the parents were invited to sit with the child in the seat - siblings, aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents, godparents and all the other hangers on had to sit further back down the church (if they wished to be there for the ceremony). So the First Communicant probably won't even know whether the godfather is there or not - I think he may have rather an inflated opinion of his own importance!

• Advertisement

Loathsome as these things are (I tend to agree with the OPs sentiments on this one) sometime you've just got to suck it up and take one for the team. We do these things for the ones we love, be it family or friends, simple as that. The OPs question really relates to what is expected of him, where the only expectations that count in this scenario are those of his family and most importantly, his niece.

My take on this is that there appear to be degrees of loathsome going on here. Offhand I cannot think of anyone or anything that I find loathsome or that I hate but lets take the KKK or the National front. I dislike these organisations and would not be caught dead at one of their meetings and would never consider 'sucking it up' or 'taking it for the team' in order to attend.

pilly wrote: »
    I think you've made that same point about 6 times now. We get that's your opinion on the matter. Repeating it over and over is not going to change anyone's mind.

Believe me I have no interest in changing anyones mind, the post was by way of response to an earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I am an atheist but was godfather to my niece last month, they told me there was much religion related stuff involving me...Well I was misinformed, they expected me to accept God created the earth, just sat there in silence refused to answer the yes I was supposed to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

i was godfather to my niece and didn't have to do anything at her communion, and she's picked my sister as her sponsor for her confirmation. result.

Thanks for the info. So your sister will be the 'godfather' for your nieces confirmation?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There's a huge religious element to being a godparent in a Catholic baptism. How did you handle that aspect? I'm asking out of genuine interest as I suspect I'll shortly be in the position of having to say no to being a godparent for this very reason.

There was very little to it. Back then I was a typical 'catholic' -- only ever entered a church on special occasions. Was more neutral then.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Just do your duty. It would be an insult to the child and the parents if you snubbed their big day because of some chip on your shoulder. Leave your prejudices at the door.

My take on this is that there appear to be degrees of loathsome going on here. Offhand I cannot think of anyone or anything that I find loathsome or that I hate but lets take the KKK or the National front. I dislike these organisations and would not be caught dead at one of their meetings and would never consider 'sucking it up' or 'taking it for the team' in order to attend.

But my brother has not married a member of the KKK and if he did I would disown him! Religion is still very mainstream and to be involved in my nephews lives I have to accept that they will be raised believing in God and believing that Godparents are special.
    When they are teenagers I will explain all about atheism and that I am one. For now me sucking it up and going along with what they believe does not compromise me or them.

Worztron wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. So your sister will be the 'godfather' for your nieces confirmation?

Godparents are chosen when a baby is being christened.

At the confirmation the child chooses a sponsor... this does not have to be the godparents.

Just do your duty. It would be an insult to the child and the parents if you snubbed their big day because of some chip on your shoulder. Leave your prejudices at the door.

Would you have the same view of Nazi's, KKK, harmam Boco. They are all organisations who do and have done horrible acts the same as the Roman Catholic church.

'chip on my shoulder' -- that's some ignorant statement from you right there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

'chip on my shoulder' -- that's some ignorant statement from you right there.

Well you said you loathe religion, so much so that you're considering snubbing your own godchild. If that's not carrying a chip on your shoulder I don't know what is.

Godparents are chosen when a baby is being christened.

At the confirmation the child chooses a sponsor... this does not have to be the godparents.

I see, thanks. So a godparent could also be the sponsor? If someone else is the sponsor -- can he/she go in place of the godparent on the day of the communion/confirmation?

Its a fair point and there are no doubt degrees of loathsome at play, where at some point you draw the line as to what you'll do for friends and family versus refusing to do so on principal. Where this line lies is going to be very dependent on circumstance. Say you had a friend, brother or sister go off a join the Scientologists or other whacko cult for example and subsequently get married. Would you attend the event if it was in their church? Would you take part in the ceremony?

Well you said you loathe religion, so much so that you're considering snubbing your own godchild. If that's not carrying a chip on your shoulder I don't know what is.

Yes, I do loathe religion and for good reason. It's nothing but a sham and I have a major problem with my participation in the further brainwashing of my niece. It's not about snubbing my niece -- stop being ridiculous.

@realdanbreen

You got totally bent out of shape because I was being honest when I said I loathed religion. Cease with your trolling of this thread -- or do you want more infractions from the mods?

Yes, I do loathe religion and for good reason. It's nothing but a sham and I have a major problem with my participation in the further brainwashing of my niece. It's not about snubbing my niece -- stop being ridiculous.

I don't know how it's not illegal to tie a child to a religion for like, once your Baptist the church counts you as one of theirs

I see, thanks. So a godparent could also be the sponsor? If someone else is the sponsor -- can he/she go in place of the godparent on the day of the communion/confirmation?

Yes, the sponsor is the only other person apart from Mum and Dad who need to be there on the confirmation day.

Communion is different, there's no sponsor role. No adult has to do anything during the communion ceremony unless they've volunteered to do a reading, carry gifts or whatever.

I don't know how it's not illegal to tie a child to a religion for like, once your Baptist the church counts you as one of theirs

Yep, it's sickening alright. The poor kids never get a choice. They just have a religion forced upon them from birth. If kids can be fooled to believe in the easter bunny, santa, the tooth fairy, etc. then they can certainly be duped into buying into the magic space baby story. They have not yet reached the age of reason unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Godparents have nothing to do with confirmation. The child picks a sponsor for their confirmation. I'm sure they can pick a god parent to do it but in all the confirmations I've attended that's never happened. It's always someone else

• Advertisement

Yes that is right. You don't have to go to the church anymore! The only time I have been inside a church while there is a ceremony going on in the last 20 years is at the christening where i was godmother. I don't go to funerals or weddings or any kind of mass.

Another of my nephews made his communion this year and I went to the church but waited outside... it was a lovely day and I kept the two youngest kids outside with me.

I never go into churches any more and nobody minds. At my brothers wedding I waited outside so that I could be in the photos!

As a godparent at the communion/confirmation the only thing expected s that you make a fuss of the child. You do not need to be in the church.

Advertisement