Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist godfather to niece for communion and confirmation.

Options
  • 05-02-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I was godfather to my niece at her baptism almost 8 years ago. Since then I've become atheist and now loath religion. Now with her communion and confirmation to come within the next few years -- I'm certainly not looking forward to them.

Should I politely opt out? Is there much problems in assigning a new godfather?

What must a godfather do at communion and confirmations? I hope it does not involve blessing myself as I refuse to do that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was godfather to my niece and didn't have to do anything at her communion, and she's picked my sister as her sponsor for her confirmation. result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

You don't have to do anything. You don't even need to be there. You may not even be invited to be there. Give the child a gift. You need not play any role in the religious parts but don't rain in her parade by telling her you loathe religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

You are on the baptismal register as her godfather and that cannot be undone.
    Simply tell her parents that you are now an atheist and would prefer not to have to attend her First Holy Communion Mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm a Godfather to my niece and Nephew. If they ever ask I'm going to have an open and frank discussion about all the various aspects of religion (as best I can) including atheism, theism and agnosticism and explain that it's up to them to make their own decision as long as they don't force it on anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I have two godchildren, both of who I was invited and honoured to be asked to be their godparent when their parents knew that I am no longer in any way religious.

I believe that my job as godparent is to be an adult friend to the child, to be another person who makes them feel special, to guide them on their moral compass as they get older, if appropriate.

If my godchildren were having a communion or confirmation I will show up, tell them they are awesome, and help them enjoy their day. And that's it.

Unless the family are requesting you to be religious there really is no need to make a big deal out of it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have two godchildren, both of who I was invited and honoured to be asked to be their godparent when their parents knew that I am no longer in any way religious.

Unless the family are requesting you to be religious there really is no need to make a big deal out of it,

There's a huge religious element to being a godparent in a Catholic baptism. How did you handle that aspect? I'm asking out of genuine interest as I suspect I'll shortly be in the position of having to say no to being a godparent for this very reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned, i'm a godfather, and was told by my brother to 'just stand there and say nothing'. and that was the extent of my participation in the ceremony.

Simply tell her parents that you are now an atheist and would prefer not to have to attend her First Holy Communion Mass.
    or else just go, because she would want you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There's a huge religious element to being a godparent in a Catholic baptism. How did you handle that aspect? I'm asking out of genuine interest as I suspect I'll shortly be in the position of having to say no to being a godparent for this very reason.

You're right and in the strict sense, there is. This is why I was delighted to be asked, but did flag it to the families in question that I was not a religious person.

In those families, they did not want an additional person to provide religious instruction, or religious guidance. They felt that was their job, and that the role of godparent was more of a positive role model generally. I suppose traditionally lots of people used their religion as their moral compass. Thats not the case now, and Im guided by many principles, but mainly I am just a cracking person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

as mentioned, i'm a godfather, and was told by my brother to 'just stand there and say nothing'. and that was the extent of my participation in the ceremony.
    I wonder is this a special instruction reserved for atheist godfathers, or is it for all godfathers? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi all.

I was godfather to my niece at her baptism almost 8 years ago. Since then I've become atheist and now loath religion. Now with her communion and confirmation to come within the next few years -- I'm certainly not looking forward to them.

What must a godfather do at communion and confirmations? I hope it does not involve blessing myself as I refuse to do that.

Thanks.

You 'loathe' religion and blessing yourself and you're an atheist and yet you still need advice on what to do? It might be best to stay away as I don't think JUVENILE INSULT DELETED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You 'loathe' religion and blessing yourself and you're an atheist and yet you still need advice on what to do?
    OP is probably not very experienced in the actual procedures expected to be followed on the day. Quite naturally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mod:
    It might be best to stay away as I don't think JUVENILE INSULT DELETED
    Shorn of its final juvenile insult, the first part of what you posted seems oddly appropriate. Anyhow, you've been red-carded for fist-waving.

Please read the forum charter before posting again in A+A.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just go and have a nice day with the child. You do not have to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just go and have a nice day with the child. You do not have to participate.
    I agree ... what surprises me is all the 'hand-wringing' going on by the OP about 'will I /won't I attend'?

... a key part of tolerance (and indeed basic manners) is to attend events in other people's lives to which one is invited in a respectful and dignified manner.

There is a time and a place for debating peoples worldviews ... but 'red letter' days to which one is invited, is neither the time nor the place.

... and that also applies to Christians attending Humanist events, to which they are invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I believe that my job as godparent is to be an adult friend to the child, to be another person who makes them feel special, to guide them on their moral compass as they get older, if appropriate.

I don't get this fuss at all. I was born in the early 70s, my godmother was my mother's sister. I don't even remember who my godfather was, but it would have been another blood relative.

Nothing whatsoever ever happened because of this so-called godparent relationship, even though my mother's family were all devout catholics. It was a big nothing at all. There's absolutely no reason to think that anyone takes it more seriously today than they did 40 years ago.

You have to make an oath and promise to do religious stuff. Some people have a problem with lying in public.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You have to make an oath and promise to do religious stuff. Some people have a problem with lying in public.
    that's what surprised me. i didn't have to open my mouth. maybe it was an arrangement between my brother and the priest.

it was kinda funny though, the priest was distracted and clearly annoyed as the kid being baptised just before my niece, was about 8 and had put gel in his hair. his parents clearly had not thought through the baptism process.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Maybe talk to your niece's parents and see what their take on the situation is. While I take J C's point that you don't want to rain on here parade, attending an event that you consider a loathsome sham bearing a false smile might be no better than not attending. Perhaps taking her for a day out after the event might make for a more pleasant and honest experience for you both. Of course many kids are only into these ceremonies for the money themselves, so if she's of that frame of mind, show up as a fellow cynic and congratulate her on her takings after the formalities have concluded ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think it's a sad day when an adult can't put their own feelings to the back of their mind and be involved in a child's big day, particularly when her parents chose you to be a bit more involved in her life than everyone else they know.

I'm not saying you have to be the biggest Christian there on the day but just pass yourself in a dignified manner and be there for your niece, this is her day not yours, in time you can speak to her about how you feel about religion.

Being god father doesn't have to be all about religion, be the "next best adult" on her life after her parents. Take her for days out, make her gifts a little bit more special than ordinary people. Make a wee fuss of her, slip her the odd few euro or sweets for no reason.

Your an atheist now and that's great for you that you don't pretend, but her day isn't the day to push it on everyone, that would make you no different that an overly religious person pushing their religion on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you are asked to be there, just swallow your pride for an hour and do it.

You'll not catch fire or anything, and refusing to go might well insult.

Think of the child, whether or not you think the child is being brainwashed or not, not your call.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Nowadays there are so many children making their communion at one time that they're sometimes only allowed have 2 people in the church anyway, maybe 4. If that's the case then you may not be invited to the church. If you are then offer your place to a grandparent or other closer relative. That solves that part.

Then just go to the celebration afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP I wouldn't describe myself as atheist but not very religious at all. I am godmother to a lovely nephew who has been through both communion and confirmation recently. For communion, I literally just turned up to the church and sat beside him - didn't have to do anything. For confirmation, I was sat down the back as he had picked his godfather (who is religious) as his sponsor. I didn't want to buy him anything overly religious for his confirmation so instead got him a book about the history of priest holes in Ireland during Cromwell. It's entirely factual and historic but at least tied in a little.

I wouldn't worry over much at this point and just wait to see how things are playing out. Like me, you may have no active role in either ceremony and therefore can fly under the radar. To be honest, the days are about your niece, not your beliefs so I do believe in an element of not rocking the boat but at the same time, don't do something you're not comfortable with. Just make sure you express that in an honest but respectful way to the parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

By the way, do NOT offer to unsubscribe as Godparent (or whatever way you describe it).

That is a serious insult and could end your relationship altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Hi all.

Thanks.

I am in a similar situation as you with a goddaughter and godson. I advise to simply go with the flow, don't make a scene and let the day unfold naturally. It is not about you. As far as doing anything, you don't have to do much if anything at all at the events in question. I strongly advise not seeking to leave the position, as it can be an insult to the child, or harm your relationship with the family, for essentially nothing really.
    I consider my role as friend, adviser, cool uncle and confidant. I also consider it better for me to be in that role than a religious person as I will not indoctrinate the child with nonsense either.

You are free to have a chat about your views with the parents, in regard to informally letting them know you are atheist now, but DON'T seek to split from that role, I think you may regret it. I found my godchildren to be smart enough to pick up on your views anyway and think of such events as simply social rituals where they get to dress up, get money, have a meal with family and meet friends. The religious stuff washes away without much effort.

Finding a confirmation card without a god reference can be a pain, but I manage it.

Hi all.

Thanks.

At the risk of upsetting the mod, but if you check on google you will see what the expectations of a godparent are. If you are unable/unwilling to fulfill those expectations are you being hypocrytical in attending given your loathing of the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Go along for the hour, sure you can spend your time internally shaking your head at the fools and thinking "aren't these folk all daft".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

At the risk of upsetting the mod, but if you check on google you will see what the expectations of a godparent are. If you are unable/unwilling to fulfill those expectations are you being hypocrytical in attending given your loathing of the church?

To be clear, by expectations, you're talking about the expectations of the Catholic church. The OP may have little or no interest in meeting those expectations and be more interested in meeting the expectations of the child and their parents which for most people may be no more or less than being a good uncle.

smacl wrote: »
    To be clear, by expectations, you're talking about the expectations of the Catholic church. The OP may have little or no interest in meeting those expectations and be more interested in meeting the expectations of the child and their parents which for most people may be no more or less than being a good uncle.

Of course, it's a Catholic sacrament after all and given the ops loathing of the church surely it would be complete hypocracy to attend. .

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I am an Atheist and a godmother to my Nephew. The reason I said to being godmother is because they are all being raised as catholics and to them their godparents are special!
    I was raised an Atheist as was my brother. He then married a girl who is religious and went along with her wish to have the kids christened and to raise them in the church! During the ceremony in the church I was respectful but did not say anything and it was not noticed.
    Now I spoil my godchild and he knows that he is special to be but he does not know that I do not believe in God. For me God does not exist and religion is ridiculous! I know that my brother feels the same and yet he wants to make his wife happy so goes along with it. They even got married in a church!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

It's quiet possible it will just be you and your godchild at the altar. Just remember it's her day. She has been looking forward to it for ages. You should be honoured that of all family members you have been chosen by her. Keep the I was a Catholic but now I am an atheist talk for another day.

Advertisement