Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Society - Luttrelstown Castle 25th February @ 11.30am

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Interesting comments from SeveOB about drainage.

I played Luttrellstown at the end of January and the underfoot conditions were genuinely extraordinary - drives on most holes were gaining 40 yards of carry.

I'm guessing that as a course they've spent significantly in this regard.

So I guess my question would surround whether we perhaps a little too quick to criticise?

I mean after all, if we want playable courses 365 days in Ireland - even after a week long deluge - then courses awould need to invest literally millions upon millions on building and maintaining sand based soil.

Tell me, who is going to pay the appropriate rates to make such a venture possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

thewobbler wrote: »

I played Luttrellstown at the end of January and the underfoot conditions were genuinely extraordinary - drives on most holes were gaining 40 yards of carry.

So I guess my question would surround whether we perhaps a little too quick to criticise?

I mean after all, if we want playable courses 365 days in Ireland - even after a week long deluge - then courses awould need to invest literally millions upon millions on building and maintaining sand based soil.

Tell me, who is going to pay the appropriate rates to make such a venture possible?
    How you attribute 40 yards of carry to the construction or otherwise of the course is just wrong.

You are correct however, in that almost anything is achievable with regard to the quality and year round playability of a course with the right budget, but carry isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

The 12th was really bad, footsteps were even leaving brown foot marks on the fairway. The area just left of the fairway for your second was really boggy there was was no where within 30/40 yards I could could take relief from standing water for my 3rd shot.

Some parts of the course were Ok but some were very poor considering the membership sub considering membership is €2,300

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

How you attribute 40 yards of carry to the construction or otherwise of the course is just wrong.

You are correct however, in that almost anything is achievable with regard to the quality and year round playability of a course with the right budget, but carry isn't one of them.

I meant roll, not carry.

I'd have thought that was obvious enough given the context. But sure here.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

kieran. wrote: »
    The 12th was really bad, footsteps were even leaving brown foot marks on the fairway. The area just left of the fairway for your second was really boggy there was was no where within 30/40 yards I could could take relief from standing water for my 3rd shot.

Some parts of the course were Ok but some were very poor considering the membership sub considering membership is €2,300

I drove through the torrential rain that hit the course night before. It was probably the worst downfall I have seen in years in Ireland. It was like something you see in Florida. The N4 came to standstill at one point over it.

So I think you can excuse, what is usually a perfect course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

username?! wrote: »
    I drove through the torrential rain that hit the course night before. It was probably the worst downfall I have seen in years in Ireland. It was like something you see in Florida. The N4 came to standstill at one point over it.

So I think you can excuse, what is usually a perfect course.

Fair enough but don't think the rain could be blamed for the state of the greens ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

I meant roll, not carry.

I'd have thought that was obvious enough given the context. But sure here.

Say what mean and mean what you say;):pac:

Advertisement