Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Society - Luttrelstown Castle 25th February @ 11.30am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

As of this week they have switched the front and back 9 FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

username?! wrote: »
    As of this week they have switched the front and back 9 FYI.

Any particular reason why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Surprised their changing it around . 18 is a great finishing hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ballyk

Strange they didn't mention it when I was onto them about nearest the pin and longest drive.

The updated timesheet is below:

Time: | Player 1 | Player 2 | Player 3| Player 4
    11.30: | CharlieIRL | SeveOB | SeveOB's guest |
    11.40: | Roadrunner | BigChap1759 | Alanm |
    11.50: | 3putt | princess poppy | kieran. |
    12.00: | jarrieta | Break80 | Macker1 | ThecHamp26
    12.10: | acalmenvoy | dylanmc30 | paulos53 | DamienM
    12.20: | The Big Easy | ballyk | a post punk | doublecross

I've doublechecked with the club and apparently the nines have changed but the scorecards haven't. Longest drive will be hole 9 on the scorecard but hole 18 on the course signage. Hope that's not going to be too confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

After the storm last night / today I wonder if there was any damage done with trees ?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

ballyk wrote: »
    I've doublechecked with the club and apparently the nines have changed but apparently the scorecards haven't.

To avoid confusion on the day it would be no harm for the committee to decide in advance how ties will be sorted.
    Usually the countback is holes 10-18 on the scorecard no matter what hole players start on but you might want to go with the other 9 on Saturday.

paulos53 wrote: »
    ballyk wrote: »
    I've doublechecked with the club and apparently the nines have changed but apparently the scorecards haven't.

To avoid confusion on the day it would be no harm for the committee to decide in advance how ties will be sorted.
    Usually the countback is holes 10-18 on the scorecard no matter what hole players start on but you might want to go with the other 9 on Saturday.
    Good point. We will decide and let you all know which way ties will be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

something wrong there Captain. no timesheet info showing up on my pc screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Captain how are we doing for space - I'm looking for space for two guests if possible? Apologies it's so late!

If it's possible let me know and I'll double check with them if they still want to come - no worries if no spaces though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Seve OB wrote: »
    something wrong there Captain. no timesheet info showing up on my pc screen

Same here but it displays correctly on my phone

Captain how are we doing for space - I'm looking for space for two guests if possible? Apologies it's so late!

We can fit them in. It just means revising the timesheet. I'll update it and repost in a minute.

Timesheet updated again:

11.40: | Roadrunner | BigChap1759 | BigChap1759 guest1 | BigChap1759 guest2
    11.50: | 3putt | princess poppy | kieran. |Alanm

I've doublechecked with the club and apparently the nines have changed but the scorecards haven't. Longest drive will be hole 9 on the scorecard but hole 18 on the course signage. Hope that's not going to be too confusing!

Guys,

The final timesheet is set out below. Fingers crossed Doris is well gone by the time we hit the fairways. Line 1 has an extra edge to it as SeveOB and CharlieIRL go head to head in a winter matchplay showdown! :D

See you all on Saturday and looking forward to kicking off the race for the Ryder Jug team, GOTY etc!

11.40: | Roadrunner | BigChap1759 | Alanm |
    11.50: | 3putt | princess poppy | kieran. |

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Enjoy the round tomorrow everyone. Wish I was back home a day earlier so I could go along.

Good luck captain with the first official GOTY event of 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Best of luck to all competitors tomorrow, personally, I can't wait to get there. These trips are becoming a highlight of the month. Let's hope the weather is not too bad.

Thanks lads.

Have a safe flight home space and fair play acalmenvoy for making the long journey for the event - that's serious dedication! There are a few shorter journeys for you later in the season! :D

According to yr.no we are looking at 12 degrees and 0.3 mills of rain.

In the case of ties the Committee has decided that it will be the last 9 that people actually played (the front 9 on the scorecard) that will count. If that doesn't separate it will move to last 6, 3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭a post punk

Is there anyone venturing to the golf expo tomorrow?

Lads, in case anyone fancies a nosey around before or after, Castleknock Golf Club is basically next door and worth taking a ramble in if you have never been there before.

Turn right out the gate of Luttrelstown and head down the road for about 1-1.5km and it's on the right hand side. If you go in, it's not at the hotel (lots make that mistake) but turn right when inside and follow the road around. It's a great setting for a clubhouse if the sun is shining just right it can feel almost spanish like. Mind you, the grandeur of the clubhouse pales in comparison to that of Luttrelstown, it comes with the full American feel, bag drop off and all!

Oh yea,if you are going early to hit balls at the range, drive up to door of clubhouse, get balls in pro shop and then as you are about to drive back out the main gate, you will see a little slip road to the right... head up the dirt track there, but take it easy or you'll ruin your suspension!

For the short game range, park in car park and walk through the closed off car park, I can't remember exactly where the way in is, but it's around there somewhere. It'll make sense when you see it.

Enjoy tomorrow guys and safe travels in the morning. Let me know if you need any directions.

Hi lads and lasses

Just a quick post to announce the results for the day.
    1st place went to Alanm with a score of 38 points
    2nd place was BigChap1759 with a score of 36 points
    3rd place went to ThecHamp26 with a score of 34 points (on countback)

Longest Drive doublecross
    Nearest the Pin would have gone to BigChap1759 but because he picked up 2nd place he couldn't win Nearest the Pin as well. Because he hit it so close there were no other names on the board so we will roll the prize forward to the next outing.

There was just the one 2, which was registered by BigChap1759.

Apologies if there was any confusion with the order of the holes having been changed but the scorecard not. Peter Lawrie came up to apologise about it. Apparently the scorecards were meant to have been ready for today but got delayed.

I know the conditions were probably tough out there but hopefully everyone enjoyed their day and looking forward to seeing most of you at the next event which is in Glasson on the 18th of March.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Great day out today, bit wet in spots but was to be expected with the weather we had. Think 12 was effected the worst.
    Not a day to remember golf wise, not enough practice from me and too much from Seve!!! Still, was very enjoyable and good crack. Got a few pars which I'm happy with but some terrible tee shots let me down badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Well done to alanm another win another season, the golfing gods are treating you well:). i see big chap continued his good form from wicklow but what happened to roadrunner ? was he missing his partner ?, after quality of the golf he played in wicklow i would have put my house on him finishing in the top three today.
    Unfortunately i had to work today but looking forward to Glasson as i have never played it before.

ps: congrats to seve on picking up another title today (most attended).:rolleyes:

Ha ha Tiger!

Roadrunner was in contention again, he finished just outside the prizes.

Hopefully the boss will give you the day off on the 18th of March so you can join us in Glasson.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭a post punk

We'll done Alanm on another win, I must borrow some of that magic dust:) I think it took us all untill the back 9 to get the feel of the greens ,the course was very wet in places don't think 12 should have been open for the upkeep of the course. It was a good day out and would love to play the course in the summer when the trees have it closed in more mabye the index 1 would play as index 1 then?! Looking forward to the next outing I still have an awful lot of practice and improving to do hopefully everything clicks this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Well done alanm. I played with bigchap and 3putt. Bigchap had a great game. A couple of things outside his control happened which cost him the win this time. His putting was excellent on difficult (and often - poor) greens. 3Putt 3putted everything sadly. I think it got into his head a little (I know how that feels). It's a pity because he could have taken this one too if is putting was better. Being away from the game for a little bit has taken from his short game but he'll get it back for sure. I was striking the ball well again, getting plenty of birdy putts, but leaving the hole with bogey (or worse!) I could have benefitted by giving myself a few minutes on the putting green beforehand.

Love the course, but the green were poor this time. And some of the holes didn't take the overnight rain so well.

Best moment, bigchaps near ace on 6!

Well Saturday did not go according to plan :( But well done to all the prize winners and fair play to all the lads who traveled from afar.

I started with a lesson and that was probably my downfall. It was my second in 2 weeks and was mainly to indicate to my instructor if I had been working on the right stuff. I'd been to the range 3 times and he said it showed and I was going in the right direction, but I knew I still needed a little tweak. We got there. Then he said he was going digging deep in the bag as I was ready and able and I am good enough for the next move. Irons were coming off the face almost perfectly, especially the short irons. Driver and woods not so much. But the signs were there, just coming up a little short on the execution. Nothing to worry about, just something to work on till the next lesson (I'm getting serious about the game this year:D)

By the time I got to the first tee, I think I had already hit enough balls for the weekend and the fact I now was not hitting the driver anywhere near as good as I was at the range on Friday was on my mind I guess. I hit 2 decent tee shots all day :rolleyes:. I just felt lazy around the course though and my mind wasn't tuned in. I'm not to bothered about it. I see the bigger picture. But am disappointed as I think the course was playing pretty easy being off the front tees and the rough has been severly cut down since last I played it. We actually played the course as normal and the way it has always been played, started on the 1st and played them in order, finishing on 18. The plan is though to re-arrange the holes to make the 9th the finishing hole... in front of the clubhouse. The plan is almost there, with teeboxes renumbered but no new cards yet, hence the bit of confusion.

We got a pounding last week with the storms and plenty of rain, so I guess you could excuse the course condition a bit. But for my money (and all the money they have in Luttrelstown) they could, should and need to invest in some drainage around the place. Most of it was reasonably ok, but the 12th hole was pretty much a marsh ..... even if I did just kiss the lips with my shortish birdie putt. The 4th & to a lesser extent 11th greens were holding a bit of water & they actually should have repositioned the pin on the 4th and it would have been fine. Otherwise the course was in reasonably good condition considering the weather we had, but it was a shame we didn't get it a bit later in the year cause it's one of my favourites. At least we had a pretty decent day weather wise, with a bit of strong wind and only a couple of showers. I'll play it again later in the year and hopefully do it a bit more justice. They do have a few opens and it's generally a good price, so I might see some of you back there again sometime.

Finally, and I hate to be the one to say this, but it has to be said lads. Something is going terribly wrong with our pace of play. Lads, I'm not pointing any fingers here, indeed I haven't even looked at the names on the timesheet, but our events are becoming excessively long. We were first out and stayed in touch with the group of ladies who were in front of us till somewhere on the back 9 & I lost sight them, but I think that's because they were members and playing only 14 holes so they must have skipped a few holes. We finished in 4:05. Being a 3 ball I feel we could have been a little quicker, but it was a slog out there with the conditions and we were looking for a few balls here and there.

We were coming down 16 and Charlie pointed out to me our guys coming off the 11th tee. This was our second last group. We only had 6 groups, with the first 3 being 3 balls! I worked it back and figured with us about to play second shots on 16, group 2 should be close to 15th green, group 3 close to long par 4 14th green, group 4 14th tee, group 5 par 3 13th and last group should have been getting close to the 12th green. The group behind us stayed pretty close all the way around and there was never anymore than about a hole between us. Till the 18th anyway when I looked back and saw a bunch of women on the tee and our lads up on the 17th green! I have no idea WTF happened there????

So maybe it was these ladies jumping in between us somewhere (but surely someone would/should have noticed and called them up on it?) causing the delay, but honestly it does seem to be a recurring theme at our outings. Our last group came in at 5 hours. So that's basically an hour lost in a couple of groups and that is not acceptable and nor is it fair on everyone involved from the guys you are holding up, the guys you are playing with, the guys who hang around for the prize giving and banter and the organisers. If you are slow, that's fine to an extent, but try and keep up with the group in front. If you loose any ground, please stand aside and call the guys behind through. It is unfortunate that for this reason alone, I know we have lost a good few decent lads out of the society. If we want to keep the society going, we are going to have to keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

There were at least 2 groups of ladies - visitors, who got lost on the course!

Called the pro shop who told them where the 18th was and to head down there or at least that's what they told us. Two four balls of ladies had to have an effect on our layer groups

There were at least 2 groups of ladies - visitors, who got lost on the course!

Called the pro shop who told them where the 18th was and to head down there or at least that's what they told us. Two four balls of ladies had to have an effect on our layer groups

if our groups had of been tight enough together, they would have seen them get stuck between and said something. only thing i can think is they may have jumped in on the 10th tee....

anyway, lets not dwell, we have good lads and great outings, long may it continue, but just try and keep the pace up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

2 groups of 3 ladies and a 2 ball cut in behind us on the the 12 after we teed off and there was easily a 3 hole gap at that stage to the next Boards group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Sorry for butting in lads, but just wondering what change in order was made to the holes in Luttrelstown? Thanks

Advertisement