Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

• 14-01-2015 10:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Cameron's absolute perfectionism strikes again

http://www.3news.co.nz/entertainment/james-cameron-ambitious-script-delays-second-avatar-film-2015011419#axzz3On4qWwZ6

The Associated Press (via Superhero Hype and 3 News) reports that James Cameron’s Avatar 2 has been delayed by a year from December 2016 to December 2017 to give the writers more time to work on the script. Cameron still plans to shoot Avatar 2-4 at the same time and release them a year apart.

He said: “There’s a layer of complexity in getting the story to work as a saga across three films that you don’t get when you’re making a stand-alone film. We’re writing three simultaneously. And we’ve done that so that everything tracks throughout the three films. We’re not just going to do one and then make up another one and another one after that and parallel with that, we’re doing all the design. So we’ve designed all the creatures and the environments. “We were probably a bit ambitious with [the film]. It took me six months to write the first and we’re writing three altogether.”

The films will star Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang and Sigourney Weaver. They will be produced by Cameron and Jon Landau through Lightstorm Entertainment. Cameron is writing the sequels with Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, Josh Friedman and Shane Salerno. The 2009 movie is the highest-grossing film of all time with $2.782 billion worldwide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He should take all the time he can, anything to delay him releasing more ****e like the first film!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

gandalf wrote: »
    He should take all the time he can, anything to delay him releasing more ****e like the first film!
    He just announced that he's delaying it another year after being zinged so bad there. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Yes I'm sure he'll listen to a random boards poster over the multi billions that he made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, seems like another lifetime ago news outlets were reporting of Pandora-related depression and the like; the breathless love for the film after release now seems equally hyperbolic. In retrospect, while entertaining in places, the white-guilt sanctimony makes the film a bit of a trudge to rewatch.

I'd actually forgotten about it until I spotted this news, it was never really a film that stayed with me, if you know what I mean. Big and splashy but nothing lasting or memorable. I miss the James Cameron that made Aliens and The Abyss, 'dem were films :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It was one of my favourite cinema experiences of my life even if in retrospect the story wasn't up to much. I can't really watch it again at this stage but on the big screen it stood out as a really beautiful film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Cameron's absolute perfectionism strikes again

http://www.3news.co.nz/entertainment/james-cameron-ambitious-script-delays-second-avatar-film-2015011419#axzz3On4qWwZ6

The films will star Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang and Sigourney Weaver.

I haven't watched it in a couple of years, but I thought her character died in the first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The original film was a rip off of Dances with Wolves based in space ffs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The original film was a rip off of Dances with Wolves based in space ffs!!!

I thought it was meant to be a direct remake? Way to similar not to be..

To me it was like a film that was made by Apple.. Very over engineered, style over substance, one man's obsession for perfection, rehash of old ideas..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i really enjoyed the first one too !! But not surprised it was delayed really. Trying to shoot 3 together was always going to run into some delays

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wow. I am totally unexcited for this. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He didn't have writers for the first film, so why bother this time around?

I didn't hate the first one. It was a fantastic spectacle and an amazing technical feat, but everything else about it was pretty poor to the point that I just can't bring myself to watch it again. I may actually force myself, just to see how it's aged for me.

I can't get remotely interested in a sequel, and his planning parts 3 & 4 seems like he's just trolling everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

There's a script???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Just to add, I didnt like the first film either. I was just delivering some news ;)

Take away the 3D effects of Avatar and you have a film that is probably the most over-hyped of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

humanji wrote: »
    He didn't have writers for the first film, so why bother this time around?

I didn't hate the first one. It was a fantastic spectacle and an amazing technical feat, but everything else about it was pretty poor to the point that I just can't bring myself to watch it again. I may actually force myself, just to see how it's aged for me.

I can't get remotely interested in a sequel, and his planning parts 3 & 4 seems like he's just trolling everyone.

I actually bought it on blueray when the extended version came out. I remember enjoying it in the cinema for the visual feast that it was. But when you try re-watching it you find it very hard not to curl into a ball and slide off into a dream land hoping you'll come across a more interesting, engaging story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I enjoyed it when i watched it again recently. It's nowhere near the experience that it was in the cinema, but overall it's quite enjoyable. Although the added scenes in the directors cut version are almost all useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I would imagine sitting in the pre-production with Cameron and his writers hashing out the scripts for 4 movies would be like joining the seventh ring of hell. I read somewhere that the bible or scripts jhe has are 5000 pages long in total.
    It'd absolute insanity until the first paycheck starts rolling in 2019 or whenever............... almost worth the broken families and near suicide.

It's impressive/fascinating/entertaining to think about this production. The man has never lost yet, but that was stretching on just ONE insane film, not 3 at the same time

When you read all those back to back to back, you really start to get the impression James Cameron is an utter psycho with an ego the size of the Grand Canyon. But no one will tell him that which is why he's now shooting 3 films all back to back on a 3 year delay (and counting). And STILL working on the scripts for all of them...for a set of films thats been in production since the day after Avatar 1 passed the $2 billion mark.

I predict by the time Avatar 4 starts rolling by 202ish there will be a murder-suicide on the set between Cameron who at this point will probably be growing his fingernails extra long and become so isolated you can't get him out of his trailer for days at a time who now just pees in jars and a PA he will shoot before taking his own life when he delivers him coffee that burns his tongue and he finally loses it. And everyone will say they saw it coming years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Don't care just want him to resolve his issues with twentieth century fox and release true lies and abyss on blu ray :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

red dave wrote: »
    I thought her character died in the first one?

Yes, but her soul got sucked into a magic tree first, so I suppose she can reappear whenever anyone else talks to the trees.

Stephen Lang reappearing is more of an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Stephen Lang reappearing is more of an issue...

Back as a cyborg of something mad ? It's been a while since I seen the film, but definitely died at the end of the first ?

2smiggy wrote: »
    Back as a cyborg of something mad ? It's been a while since I seen the film, but definitely died at the end of the first ?

I know, he could be the dead dudes twin brother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Adamantium wrote: »
    I would imagine sitting in the pre-production with Cameron and his writers hashing out the scripts for 4 movies would be like joining the seventh ring of hell. I read somewhere that the bible or scripts jhe has are 5000 pages long in total.
    It'd absolute insanity until the first paycheck starts rolling in 2019 or whenever............... almost worth the broken families and near suicide.

It's impressive/fascinating/entertaining to think about this production. The man has never lost yet, but that was stretching on just ONE insane film, not 3 at the same time

When you read all those back to back to back, you really start to get the impression James Cameron is an utter psycho with an ego the size of the Grand Canyon. But no one will tell him that which is why he's now shooting 3 films all back to back on a 3 year delay (and counting). And STILL working on the scripts for all of them...for a set of films thats been in production since the day after Avatar 1 passed the $2 billion mark.

I predict by the time Avatar 4 starts rolling by 202ish there will be a murder-suicide on the set between Cameron who at this point will probably be growing his fingernails extra long and become so isolated you can't get him out of his trailer for days at a time who now just pees in jars and a PA he will shoot before taking his own life when he delivers him coffee that burns his tongue and he finally loses it. And everyone will say they saw it coming years ago.
    Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Trilogies were done the exact same way,

• Just looked at Sigourney Weaver's IMDB page and it says that she's in Avatar 2, 3, and 4.

But she is dead dead in #1, right? I mean, I haven't seen it in a while, but that's the case.. right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The first film nicely set up Weaver’s potential role in the sequels. Probably as a manifestation of the tree, either physically or in dreams/visions to guide Worthington. Like Zubeneschamali said, Lang is a bigger issue. Hopefully Cameron won’t do a Matrix/Agent Smith and bring him back to life to be the main antagonist for another 3 films - but it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first film nicely set up Weaver’s potential role in the sequels. Probably as a manifestation of the tree, either physically or in dreams/visions to guide Worthington.[...]

Haha, I had totally forgot he was the 'lead'. Sam Worthington: 2009's Jai Courtney.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Haha, I had totally forgot he was the 'lead'. Sam Worthington: 2009's Jai Courtney.

Worthington, much like Courtney is an actor who really impresses in smaller roles. Worthington impresses in films like Texas Killing Fields, The Debt, Sabotage, Drift, Rogue and a few others as they are films which allow him to act. He's actually got great screen presence and can hold his own, often stealing many scenes. Courtney is the same, he's done a lot of tosh but when given a good script he does impress, he was excellent in Felony and while I've yet to see The Water Diviner or Unbroken, I've heard that he is damn good in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

It's a fun movie, brain at the door type. What's so different about it when you compare it with today's big budget films?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I just watched it again for the first time since I saw it in the cinema.
    Whatever about problems with the story and script being clichéd, the last hour has some fantastic action sequences.
    It’s still an impressive experience on a big television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really enjoyed Avatar, not the best film ever made but for sheer spectacle it was excellent, and the 3D was jaw dropping - really puts into perspective the majority of absolute muck post conversions they're calling 3D today. I've seen a few decent natively shot 3D movies, but none ever came close to Avatar.

Would look forward to Avatar 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

I often ask the people who say that they didn't like the movie whether they saw in the cinema or not. 90% of them say they haven't and that's the crux of it I think.

I saw it in the cinema and it was nearly 3 hours long if i remember and it felt like a half hour, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was the first time I saw a 3D movie that looked like that. As a visual spectacle its second to none.

The story line most certainly had holes and it wasn't original but overall I have to say that wasnt enough to drag it down. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    The story line most certainly had holes and it wasn't original but overall I have to say that wasnt enough to drag it down. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it, too, but it is fair to say that it could have been a lot better with a real plot.

Advertisement