Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sorry, I misread what you posted: I thought you were saying that Whitaker was publicly mouthing off about Capaldi, that she was "coming after him" lol :rolleyes: :) Nevermind!

No probs , I did enjoy his run a lot for some reason. Maybe I'm an ould fart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chibnall has confirmed he's already working on season 13, debunking the latest set of rumours that he / Whitaker are stepping down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Will there be a Christmas day episode this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Will there be a Christmas day episode this year?

There wasn't one last year because they'd run out of Christmas ideas :rolleyes:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-christmas-special-scrapped-13520717

No doubt this years episode will reveal that Santa Claus is really a woman,
    Tying in nicely with the origins retcon that's rumoured for this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,827 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No, no Christmas day special this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Cool Cybermen are back.

nannerby wrote: »
    Cool Cybermen are back.

The judoon also spotted; some speculating they also saw the racnoss, which is a deep cut.

Another trailer, and more importantly, a release date: it's back New Years Day :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I hope the "something's coming for me" line is an indication of some running plot, I know people were tired of Moffat's super complex ones but the last series felt very meandering.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, it's back to Saturdays instead of Sundays.
    Bit of an odd decision if you ask me. It would have been perfect if it just filled the slot that His Dark Materials currently occupies (Sundays at 8pm) as it would appeal to a very similar audience. Saturdays tend to be very fluid on their time slots, 7pm one week, 7:10 the next, 6:50 the week after that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

flazio wrote: »
    Meanwhile, it's back to Saturdays instead of Sundays.
    Bit of an odd decision if you ask me. It would have been perfect if it just filled the slot that His Dark Materials currently occupies (Sundays at 8pm) as it would appeal to a very similar audience. Saturdays tend to be very fluid on their time slots, 7pm one week, 7:10 the next, 6:50 the week after that.

I had to stop watching on Sunday, as I would think others did too. Anecdotal, but I wonder if they lost a lot of people who have to travel at weekends for family etc.

New season starts tomorrow IIRC, not sure what time for those who like to watch live though ...

It just does not feel like Doctor Who to me at all. The amount of assistants now it feels more like The A Team with the Doctor as Hannibal " I love it when a plan comes together" than Doctor Who. I yawned with that revel as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

That was .......not good
    Also the reveal was "come one!!.. that makes no sense , and that arc was closed off pretty well in the Moffat era"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Dr Bob wrote: »
    That was .......not good
    Also the reveal was "come one!!.. that makes no sense , and that arc was closed off pretty well in the Moffat era"

I liked it and this comes from someone who hated the last season, I also liked the closing line of everything you think you knew is a lie, we could be in for a soft reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wish they would get rid of BW - sticks out like a sore thumb with a young Doctor. And who told him those trousers looked good on him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

campo wrote: »
    we could be in for a soft reboot.

There's been rumours of some big retcons coming this season

Including
    The Hartnell to Capaldi set of regenerations was not The Doctors first
    Oh and The Doctors first incarnation was a woman
    :rolleyes:

Oh God if they do that reboot the show is dead in the water and it's pretty much threading water right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭liamtech

Oh God if they do that reboot the show is dead in the water and it's pretty much threading water right now

I really dont see that this is the case

Im a proper fan - i have seen every doctor who episode in existence

has no one here seen the 7th docs series where it was implied for ages that the doctor was one of the first time lords? like omega? and invented many of the technologies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartmel_Masterplan

We are all fans, so im not disrespecting anyone but to say the series is threading the water - bit OTT in my opinion

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

Oh right we have a proper fan I'll leave so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭liamtech

Oh right we have a proper fan I'll leave so.

im not implying anyone is not a proper fan pal - its just the doctors continuity is fluid

If it were me - i wouldnt add pre hartnell doctors - but thats just me. The man in charge may have ideas and im fine with that

we are all fans honestly - and do check out the 7ths run - definitely implied the doc is WAY MORE THAN JUST A TIMELORD

EDIT - i said im a proper fan to simply highlight that for me, the show began in 1963 - not 2005

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Master wrote: »
    There's been rumours of some big retcons coming this season

Including
    The Hartnell to Capaldi set of regenerations was not The Doctors first
    Oh and The Doctors first incarnation was a woman
    :rolleyes:

Well, at least with Doctor Who, that whole thing can be erased from time, permanently, never to be mentioned again :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Haven't got around to watching the first episode yet, but just saw a huge spoiler on the frontpage of YouTube, via a suggestion from the official Doctor Who channel. Sigh. Had been keeping away from reviews and general chatter on the episode.

The BBC have the WORST marketing department when it comes to keeping the lid on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Worst ratings ever?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7846985/Doctor-receives-worst-ratings-EVER.html

Doctor Who's series return on New Year's Day attracted the worst ratings EVER - with an estimated drop of three million viewers compared to its last season

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's the Daily Mail. They'll make anything out of nothing.

Dr. Who has been one step from disaster since it came back in 2005 if you believed the tabloids; in that time TV, and the metrics of "success" has changed. Looking at raw numbers is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Haven't got around to watching the first episode yet, but just saw a huge spoiler on the frontpage of YouTube, via a suggestion from the official Doctor Who channel. Sigh. Had been keeping away from reviews and general chatter on the episode.

The BBC have the WORST marketing department when it comes to keeping the lid on these things.
    Yeah happened to me too, I had subscribed to the channel so when I was checking all subscriptions I saw the thumbnail. Unsubscribed straightaway. They should have waited a few days before posting something like that or at least state in the thumbnail and title that it's a spoiler from the latest episode. That's the thing with YouTube, it can be very easy to get spoiled via recommendations or thumbnails

Yeah happened to me too, I had subscribed to the channel so when I was checking all subscriptions I saw the thumbnail. Unsubscribed straightaway. They should have waited a few days before posting something like that or at least state in the thumbnail and title that it's a spoiler from the latest episode. That's the thing with YouTube, it can be very easy to get spoiled via recommendations or thumbnails

I don't even subscribe to any Dr. Who channels on YT, so the only reason the algorithm even suggested the official BBC one, was because I had watched a few episode clips over the last few months. And of course 'cos the BBC can't apparently keep a secret, there was the big spoiler sitting on my dashboard. A little ticked off TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I don't even subscribe to any Dr. Who channels on YT, so the only reason the algorithm even suggested the official BBC one, was because I had watched a few episode clips over the last few months. And of course 'cos the BBC can't apparently keep a secret, there was the big spoiler sitting on my dashboard. A little ticked off TBH.

Yeah, I usually clear my watch history every once in a while to prevent this sort of thing or just delete any video related to the show/movie from watch history.

Advertisement