Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[RUST] Time to go back!

Options
  • 27-01-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short - I played a lot of Legacy Rust with few boardsies. In 200h of playing Rust I experienced most of my Best gaming moments in 25 years of gaming experience.
    I have walked away from Rust when they started doing new build as it was very basic. Could not play Legacy as I had much less time and no group to play with. People who played Rust will know how unforgiving it is to solo players.
    Rust got very far now and after trying it out 2 days ago, I cant put it down. It all changed for the better.

Main point of this Post and maybe thread, to get people back to Rust or get people to try it out, who think its extremely hard to play solo. As I said a good few changes were made and I will try to give some basic info of survival. I wont go to most basic stuff of crafting and very few first steps as you better off checking it on youtube, there are hundreds of such videos!

*First things first, if you plan playing solo or with one or two friends then there is a very nice surprise. There are servers for Solo players or for 1-3 groups. As you can see, it makes Rust a lot more easier for new players and those who like to fly solo. No 10 poeple clans who wreck your stuff every night, just because they are bored and have stock piled explosives.
    Find yourself a one of those servers with lowish population. Dont join solo server with 70++ people on server! you will die!
    Another good thing to look for are servers that were wiped most recently!

*Assuming you know basics I will talk a bit of fresh spawn tactics.
    When you spawn on server, I personally ignore all trees and rocks, unless those are small deposits that can be picked up without mining. I do try to get a bit wood, like 100-200. Your priority will be cloth. With new Rust you can pick cloth from Plants. They look like "weed" plants. Try to grab as much as possible.
    So while you have this mind set, your priority is to get out from coast as far as possible. Pick direction and run. Check surroundings and find yourself a nice place. While you looking for it make yourself with cloth: Stash and sleeping bag. At this point when you feel you far enough in, you can place sleeping bag somewhere hidden in bush to mark your spot and spawn there. IT will help you to spawn from one spot and start maping surroundings in your head. Keep in mind that all maps are random generated. Use stash to hide your most valuable stuff if you find some: Animal fat, food, wood, stone. You don't need to build base asap. You better off having few stashes and hidden sleeping bag, until you got enough wood and stone to build your first home. If you die, don't worry, wake up in sleeping bag and start again. At that point your losses are very small. Keep in mind you can have more then one of such sleeping bag+ stash points.
    *Where is good place to build? If you are solo player, its better to build away from others and a bit further away from monuments. One great place to build is in Snowy mountains somewhere surrounded by trees and bushes. It will give you natural camo, which trust me, helps a lot. One thing to note. Its good idea to make yourself cloths when going there. So use your little "stash+sleeping bag" checkpoints to help you out. In fairness full set of cloths is not hard to make.

*What should you build? Well, best tactic is to hide and build something small that looks like more hassle to break in and wont have much loot. I personally use this lovely design from wood and wooden doors with wooden locks. When I have enough stone I upgrade it to stone and then work on metal.

When things go later in and I feel confident and got extra stuff, I build second base like this:
    Ffj8GEm.png?1

Extra tips:
    *You can remove locks and doors. So use wood doors and locks at start. Your priority after turning your house in to stone is to put Metal doors.

*If you lucky enough to find animals and get enough fat to make low grade fuel, then it wont be an issue. If you still without furnace ( happens to me a lot ), then go look for loot spawns and find a rad town with recycler. Its great addition to game. Metal sheets, propane tanks and blades can be recycled for metal. Very handy.
    *Never recycle springs or gears. Those are very handy and you will need them a lot!

I hope this helps a bit and I might see a few more boardsies being chased by naked dude with crossbow for a pork chop. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm looks like no one is interested. :pac:

Anyway, I just checked. My steam showed that I played almost 50h Rust in last 2 weeks. I only started playing it again few days ago. :pac:

So my journey on current server going pretty good. My mini hidden base still was not raided! I think I placed it pretty damn well and who ever found it, did not though its worth it. I know as I said it, I will jinx myself.
    By using this small base I had a lot of left over stone. I cant expand it as it will ruin its low profile. Decided to start that secondary base with extra left over stone bit by bit. Unfortunately I did a booboo with some placement and it was too late. Even after practicing it on Fortify ( a separate client for theory base building ) still managed to **** up, because of the preasure. Got killed once trying to build foundations. So I could not build that design, but did not wanted it go to waste. Just build random layout messy looking base with rooms and honeycomb walls. Its going to be hard for them to decide where to put C4! :D
    So I got 2 bases now and trying to spread loot. In Rust I got mindset off spreading my stuff and not keeping all my eggs in one basket. Usually I dont even have main treasure room furtest away from outside wall. I like having a lot of rooms and spreading it. If someone raids my bases, they get feck all back as most likely the loot in that one room wont even cover C4. After 2 rooms they might get the idea and hopefully fudge off. :)
    I am not going to play until tomorrow evening now, hopefully my shacks will still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I thought I had replied to this thread. Guess not, and I'm off the booze for the month don't even have that excuse.

Anyway, I've been meaning to get into this, installed it there last week. The thing that was putting me off was the PvP aspect, I'd like to play in a small group, but not if it means getting my **** pushed in by larger gangs while I'm learning the roles.

I will give it a go later on tonight perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Good info, cheers. :)
    Yeah I just started playing it and having fun so far.
    I'm playing on the "Reddit.com/r/PlayRust" server atm and it's great, it's relatively quiet with very low ping,
    people mostly seem to be keeping to themselves & base-building so far.

I met a few Irish/Boardsies on there earlier on today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Started back into this last week after a year or so off. It really is addictive stuff and defo had some of my best gaming moments with this game. Abit disappointed with the amount of progress that has been made in a year though. It still has its flaws but would recommend it to anyone.
    Has anyone played any similar games they would recommend?

I thought I had replied to this thread. Guess not, and I'm off the booze for the month don't even have that excuse.

Anyway, I've been meaning to get into this, installed it there last week. The thing that was putting me off was the PvP aspect, I'd like to play in a small group, but not if it means getting my **** pushed in by larger gangs while I'm learning the roles.

I will give it a go later on tonight perhaps.

That's why I mentioned solo/duo servers. Those are a lot easier to play on and survive. No big gangs who wreck you, because they can.

• Advertisement

Do I HAVE to install this EasyAntiCheat software that I'm asked to install for Rust?

IE, can I just not install it and play away or will servers **** me off them if I don't have it?

[edit, installed it. Nearly starved to death before I figured out how to many a campfire and cook some pork]

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Only got this very recently.....Finding it frustrating as every server i play on I pretty much get killed by everybody that sees me...even if I'm still in the nip.....What kind of server should i be looking for?

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    Only got this very recently.....Finding it frustrating as every server i play on I pretty much get killed by everybody that sees me...even if I'm still in the nip.....What kind of server should i be looking for?

I jumped on one earlier, UK Simply Rust. 4 people on it. Didn't see anyone, but they seemed fairly alright. Nobody shot me, though I could see a helicopter in the distance.

I ran the other way.

A.Gorilla wrote: »

As I noted in my first post, look for solo/duo with lowish population and recently wiped one. If you completely new go to server with very few people to learn some basic survivals.
    Its rust, survival of the strongest. The start is always hard and part of the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A.Gorilla

As I noted in my first post, look for solo/duo with lowish population and recently wiped one. If you completely new go to server with very few people to learn some basic survivals.
    Its rust, survival of the strongest. The start is always hard and part of the fun.
    Cool...Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Shadow what server do you currently play on?

I was one of the guys that used play with the rest of the Boards lot when we alternated between Rust and Dayz. Since then I still get the weekly upload and give it a go every weekend just to see what's new but never really paid it a lot of attention. I still think that there's a lot of balancing to be done to keep the early game more interesting. As it stands after every wipe servers are crazy full but 10 days later are often ghost towns with people waiting for the next wipe so that it gets interesting again.

Ponster wrote: »
    Shadow what server do you currently play on?

I was one of the guys that used play with the rest of the Boards lot when we alternated between Rust and Dayz. Since then I still get the weekly upload and give it a go every weekend just to see what's new but never really paid it a lot of attention. I still think that there's a lot of balancing to be done to keep the early game more interesting. As it stands after every wipe servers are crazy full but 10 days later are often ghost towns with people waiting for the next wipe so that it gets interesting again.

I can't remember it's full name: crazy survivor solo/duo. Just try that in search.
    When I am on pc I will check full name.

I tried few and I like that one most so far. They wipe it every week, so it's nice and fresh all the time. No one gets completely op.

Well, the first evening playing this saw me get killed by a lot of bears. The bastards.

Finally got myself a wee house (too close to an airfield for comfort but there you go) and got a furnace up and running. Still very much at the mercy of any other players, or wolves/bears.

Still interesting game, I can see the appeal.

So I was out with misses at my friends place last night and only got back today.

MY second new base got raided as it was in plain site, had 5 doors in total and all blown up. Thing is I kept very little in that base so they basically lost on that one. :)
    To my shock the little hidden base still alive lol. No one bothering with it. Small, hidden is the way to go. Upgraded doors to proper Armoured ones now. So if they want to get in, they need 4 c4s one way or another. Dont know if anyone will bother.

Got killed by helicopter ffs. Was hiding in airfield and did not knew those bastards drop bombs, which go no clip over buildings. Meh, not much lost, but still.

If anyone is interested, I am playing on Crazy Survivors Solo/Duo. Can just search for Crazy survivors and you will find it. Nice simple vanilla server. Wiped once a week. Not too many people.

Got killed by helicopter ffs. Was hiding in airfield and did not knew those bastards drop bombs, which go no clip over buildings. Meh, not much lost, but still.

I also did this evening. ****er took me and my gf out (here's us with our bow and arrows and burlap clothing cowering my house) and flattened my half-wood-half-stone house.

I didn't realise I'd built right beside a f*cking airfield, which is filled with radiation, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I really enjoy playing Rust but the regular (basically weekly) server wipes is a massive turn off though for me, it just means you're constantly working on a base only for it to be gone within a week or so. Does anyone know if the server wipes will be less regular once the game hits release?

Cravez wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the server wipes will be less regular once the game hits release?

No. They were never part of the original game and brought in because the servers lagged too much trying to keep track of more and more player-made objects. Wipes will be a server-owner option and as it stands Facepunch only impose wipes every 3 weeks or so when they bring out a new mechanic. More frequent wipes are all down to those that pay for and manage the servers.

Cravez wrote: »
    I really enjoy playing Rust but the regular (basically weekly) server wipes is a massive turn off though for me, it just means you're constantly working on a base only for it to be gone within a week or so. Does anyone know if the server wipes will be less regular once the game hits release?

I personally love it and it makes easier for me to play. I play solo and I can't play consistently. I rely on hidden Base and hit amd run tactics. If wipes are only every 3 weeks or something, it means I will never catch up and I will be outbuilt and completely behind.
    It my proper first run when I got back and I started 2 days in to servers life. I managed on myself to survive and even made a few c4s. That's me unorganised and just learning and wasting time doing random ****. On next wipe I will be a lot more focused and I will be able to keep up and compete with others.
    If you plan on focusing on building your Base and not going for full rust experience, then creative or pve would be better. Right now, in my opinion and take it for what's it's worth, that solo/duo weekly wiped servers is best option for someone with limited time to play amd playing on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If theres a few people playing this it might be time for me to give it a proper go. Played it here and there to learn a few of the mechanics but never really stuck with it as playing solo can be rough.

Weekly wipes does sound a lot friendlier to the solo player though

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

I was going to buy this yesterday for €20 on steam after reading this thread , then I seen it was with the humble bundle for €4 :D , Deadly !
    had a few games last night . Two lads came running over to me while I was trying to get some gear together and were trying to beat me to death with rocks but I managed to kill them with a spear , I start to loot all their gear and thought I had hit the jackpot , one of them has tons of stuff , enough to make half decent weapons and a good start on a base , then another guy comes over trying to kill me so I kill him and start panicking that there's probably more on the way so I start eating lots of the food before i make a run for it as the last guy done a bit of damage .... then I drop dead from eating raw pork ...B@stard

• Advertisement

gizabeer wrote: »
    I was going to buy this yesterday for €20 on steam after reading this thread , then I seen it was with the humble bundle for €4 :D , Deadly !
    had a few games last night . Two lads came running over to me while I was trying to get some gear together and were trying to beat me to death with rocks but I managed to kill them with a spear , I start to loot all their gear and thought I had hit the jackpot , one of them has tons of stuff , enough to make half decent weapons and a good start on a base , then another guy comes over trying to kill me so I kill him and start panicking that there's probably more on the way so I start eating lots of the food before i make a run for it as the last guy done a bit of damage .... then I drop dead from eating raw pork ...B@stard

Welcome to rust. :D You gain and you lose. Never be attached to things. :)

Actually I am a bit pissed off with your character generator. I loved my dangling penis and rust is one of those rare games where I play as a male character. Now I am strong independent black women, who does not need help from any man. :D
    At least they could have done hair now!

I am at my sisters tonight so o doubt my mini fort will survive until tomorrow. Ah well. I think wipe is soon on that server anyway.

So the server I play is wiped today. All fresh and good. Jumped in and found myself a nice location. Managed to not get killed and build my Starter base with full stone walls, metal foundations and roof. Metal doors and stuff. Things looking nice.

As always my new location is not ideal. Very limited cloth now! Grrrrr!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Grow some

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Grow some

I am, doesnt grow that fast. I got a few pumpkins growing too. Although this time I dont have food shortage.

They say tomorrow is forced wipe due to update. I dont know 100%.

Worth deciding on a server to play on all together? I'm sure it'd be easier and better for survival if we banded together. I'm game, but fair warning, I'm ****e.

I am, doesnt grow that fast. I got a few pumpkins growing too. Although this time I dont have food shortage.

They say tomorrow is forced wipe due to update. I dont know 100%.

There hasn't been a forced one in a while so I wouldn't be surprised if there was one this Thursday/Friday alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I could host a server for boards.ie server if there was interest. We would control when to wipe etc

I could host a server for boards.ie server if there was interest. We would control when to wipe etc

I don't think our population is big enough and I bet a lot of us want different things. I for example prefer vanilla with solo/duo emphasis on regular wipes. A lot of people hate often wipes or want to play on servers that allow bigger groups. Its complicated.

Me and miskyboy tried running our own server and it's hard with a lot of work. We pretty much were more doing work then playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

me and a friend are thinking of getting back into this so if theres a server everyone is on, we'll join

• Advertisement

I know I am banging on solo play, but it would be some crack for all Boardsie going ffa on solo player. :D Woukd make some banter.
    sending g an arrow to q fellow boarsies bare ass cheeks.... Mmmmmmmm...

Advertisement