Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail first class Dublin-Cork, is it worth it?

Options
  • 25-01-2017 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of going to Cork for the day on a Saturday, and I can get a return to Cork in 1st class for around 75 EUR as compared to 30 in standard.

Is it worth the extra money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sadly the days of proper first class on the railway are gone in this country, replaced by the up and coming modern british version of bargain basement but overpriced.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Some would argue it's like asking do I fly Ryanair or Aerlingus on the same route except they're using the same bus..
    I say splash out and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I've never used it but the price difference is a lot for a 2h15-2h40 journey.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/first-class-travel-1

If you're in a quiet carriage you will have plenty legroom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 CeannairBluexx

I would. Most trains no, but the green ones with the sloped nose (you can tell I'm not a train enthusiast!!) - first class there is quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Haven't done it in several years. When they finished the M8, it more or less swung it back in favour of the car as I could then do the trip in under 3 hours. The main benefit of first class on that trip as I found it was getting served breakfast at your seat instead of having to go to the buffet car. If you're travelling alone and you have a laptop, it's a big benefit. The procedure was that as soon as the train pulled out of Heuston, the catering staff came into the first class carriage and took orders for breakfast which they then served maybe 10-15 minutes later at which point the buffet car was thrown open for the rest of the passengers. I think they gave the first class passengers a 'free' copy of a newspaper when boarding though a lot of the time I'd be last minute and the papers would be all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

The main difference is that but for some key times you will have the FC carriage to yourself or just 1-2 others

That's why I pay for it for long journeys or did when I was working. THE QUIET
    On many Belfast and Cork services you've drunk and very loud groups of people raving on often in that coarse NI accent. Or just ordinary people if the carriage is full having 10 different loud convos around you I am willing to pay just for the quiet and peace.

There are other little perks:
    •Papers included
    •Refills of tea coffee included (all free on Cork FC)
    •Hot food served to seat
    •Little extras like towels or glasses of OJ
    •Far more comfortable seats that recline

But biggest difference is the peace and quiet

I also find that because it's more comfortable the journey seems to go faster.

There's the various first classes in the attached photos
    They're all great except the ICR first class with the black leather seats called "premier" which is EXACTLY the same as normal ICR but for faux leather seats and a lamp whereas as you can see the MarkIV and Enterprise first classes have a different design altogether from other carriages and a totally different ambiance. Premier has a similar cold bare bones vibe to standard ICR

You won't run into a group of drunk people clutching cans of Heineken singing football songs or two teenagers who haven't heard about the existence of earphones and are playing music on phone speakers IMO that's the benefit of first class. It's up to you if you personally care ENOUGH about that and the smaller differences for it to be worth the extra price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's cheaper to fly to Cork these days (if there is still flights). It's true for Kerry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Elemonator wrote: »
    It's cheaper to fly to Cork these days (if there is still flights). It's true for Kerry though.

getting married Kerry next November flights €40 return and 40 minits each way so definitely the better option

Get upgraded to 1st class every now and again travel to Cork regular with work , is ok wouldnt pay the €75 for it tbh , seats are a bit wider and comfier other then tat its the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I travelled first class from Houston in 2015.

Before the train pulled out of Houston station , some other passenger did a huge number 2 in the toilet in the next carriage to the first class carriages.
    The whiff of this lasted in the first class carriage for a good half hour afterwards.

• Advertisement

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Before the train pulled out of Houston station , some other passenger did a huge number 2 in the toilet in the next carriage to the first class carriages.
    The whiff of this lasted in the first class carriage for a good half hour afterwards.

TMI!

Elemonator wrote: »

Are there still flights - I'm pretty sure they were axed and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Del.Monte wrote: »

not to cork but there's 1 a day to and from Kerry

The Cork flight was a gift for anyone doing it regular the train is an overpriced pox

@ XPS_Zero

Thanks for posting those pics - I've never seen a 1st class 22000 as I mainly use the Rosslare/Dublin line. Miserable looking and no more than I would expect from CIE.

I agree with most of your post - except your racist (?) point about our Nordie cousins. :D

The main reason that I have used 1st class is for peace and quiet and meal service, but sadly not in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

5rtytry56 wrote:
    Before the train pulled out of Houston station , some other passenger did a huge number 2 in the toilet in the next carriage to the first class carriages. The whiff of this lasted in the first class carriage for a good half hour afterwards.

Whoever smelt it dealt it :P

@ XPS_Zero

Thanks for posting those pics - I've never seen a 1st class 22000 as I mainly use the Rosslare/Dublin line. Miserable looking and no more than I would expect from CIE.

I agree with most of your post - except your racist (?) point about our Nordie cousins. :D

The main reason that I have used 1st class is for peace and quiet and meal service, but sadly not in recent years.

I visit the north a lot and have an odd like for NI
    Well others call it odd "who likes the north? Even northerners don't like the north" but I do, and I find their terms like "wee" adorable
    But our cusons have possibly the most irritating accent when drunk their normal accent is blown up

Here's some more 22000
    It's not used as FC paid on any other routes unless it's filling in for Enterprise they use the carriages for their on board shop on some routes and anyone can sit in FC BUT everyone's afraid to thibking it's reserved so I often get it to myself!
    It's v nice to see the premier logo on a door of an ICR as it's more comfy but NOT a real FC worth nearly 100quid

Here's some more pics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

not to cork but there's 1 a day to and from Kerry

The Cork flight was a gift for anyone doing it regular the train is an overpriced pox

Two flights a day each way. Around €80 return standard price.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Wrex wrote: »
    Hi

I am thinking of going to Cork for the day on a Saturday, and I can get a return to Cork in 1st class for around 75 EUR as compared to 30 in standard.

Is it worth the extra money?

The following advice applies to the Mark 4 trains that operate the majority of Dublin/Cork services. You know you'll be on a Mark 4 when you go to book your seat and carriage B is unavailable (as it's the buffet car).

Book a standard ticket in carriage E - that's the quietest of the reserved carriages. If, when you board, E is not to your liking (busy, loud passengers etc), walk down to the last carriage at the Cork end of the train - it's the designated 'quiet' carriage and always the least busy as it's all unreserved seating and all the lazy folk don't make it that far.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Here's some more 22000
    It's not used as FC paid on any other routes unless it's filling in for Enterprise they use the carriages for their on board shop on some routes and anyone can sit in FC BUT everyone's afraid to thibking it's reserved so I often get it to myself!
    It's v nice to see the premier logo on a door of an ICR as it's more comfy but NOT a real FC worth nearly 100quid

Here's some more pics

It is designated Premier on Dublin/Cork and Dublin/Tralee ICR services. Is it not used on Dublin/Galway or other routes?

Agreed it's not worth paying for unless you need to escape the other carriages. In which case you could buy an upgrade on the train from the ticket-checker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Quackster wrote: »
    ................ and all the lazy folk don't make it that far.

or more aptly put: ".............and all the gob$sh!terry don't make it that far. "

Also folks....

take note and important date for such irish rail 'customers' is coming up shortly:

paddy's day in March. Might be hard enough to find a quiet spot on any irish rail train around this time.

• Advertisement

It is designated Premier on Dublin/Cork and Dublin/Tralee ICR services. Is it not used on Dublin/Galway or other routes?

Agreed it's not worth paying for unless you need to escape the other carriages. In which case you could buy an upgrade on the train from the ticket-checker.

It's used on Dublin Galway but you don't have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

1st Class on Irish Rail? Well the standard return from Cork to Dublin is €76.48. I can fly Ryanair from Dublin to Edinburgh for €29.98. I wonder if Irish Rail are going along to this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival? because they are hilarious they crack me up with their pricing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    1st Class on Irish Rail? Well the standard return from Cork to Dublin is €76.48. I can fly Ryanair from Dublin to Edinburgh for €29.98. I wonder if Irish Rail are going along to this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival? because they are hilarious they crack me up with their pricing.

So you're comparing an on the day train ticket with a booked in advance plane ticket?

I'm no fan of Irish Rail but it isn't a fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

devnull wrote: »
    So you're comparing an on the day train ticket with a booked in advance plane ticket?

Dr. Bill should totally use Ryanair to Cork though. Oh wait. You can't. So the comparison doesn't really work on that level either.

Note the train fare for London to Edinburgh return tomorrow is £102. A Ryanair return flight from London to Edinburgh today is €74, on Friday that goes up to €236.

There are plenty of reasons to criticise Irish Rail. Comparing their walk up fares to the price for a flight booked well in advance to a completely different city just makes you look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Dr_Bill wrote: »

Why don't you compare a walk up price plane ticket

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

5rtytry56 wrote: »

This, and worse, has happened to me in the standard class carriages on Irish Rail. Recently the 2 toilets on either end of the carriage were unusable (what has been seen cannot be unseen).
    The following advice applies to the Mark 4 trains that operate the majority of Dublin/Cork services. You know you'll be on a Mark 4 when you go to book your seat and carriage B is unavailable (as it's the buffet car).

Book a standard ticket in carriage E - that's the quietest of the reserved carriages. If, when you board, E is not to your liking (busy, loud passengers etc), walk down to the last carriage at the Cork end of the train - it's the designated 'quiet' carriage and always the least busy as it's all unreserved seating and all the lazy folk don't make it that far.

I always go for the Quiet carriage (the very last carriage on the train - usually G) when boarding at Limerick Junction travelling to Dublin Heuston. However, most people ignore this quiet zone - I have been in this carriage with people playing music without headphones on their phone :mad: However, it is normally empty with a handful of other passengers.

This is the 1st class offering on the service:
    407606.JPG

This seat is reclinable - the seat pad and back both recline into a comfortable position. The carriage is a lot quieter than the others on the train. You will get a free copy of the Irish Examiner.
    I was disappointed over Christmas to have booked this return, and on the return journey found myself on the Premier Service carriage. There is no comparison between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

devnull wrote: »

I agree, but the walk up price (sort of) with FR isn't too bad. DUB-EDI tomorrow for €74 out, and max €46 coming back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How about this for a comparison. The most expensive walk up train fare * in the Netherlands is €26! €26 is the max, you can travel the entire length of the network on it!

* Actually all fares are walk up as their is no pre-booking.

High capacity Double Decker trains, the entire train network electrified. The quietest rural lines have one to two trains per hour, rural lines 2 to 4 trains per hour and the business lines 10 trains per hour.

Now that is how you run a train network. A fast, frequent, cheap and very easy to use train service, encourages very high passenger numbers.

bk wrote: »
    How about this for a comparison. The most expensive walk up train fare * in the Netherlands is €26! €26 is the max, you can travel the entire length of the network on it!

High capacity Double Decker trains, the entire train network electrified. The quietest rural lines have one to two trains per hour, rural lines 2 to 4 trains per hour and the business lines 10 trains per hour.

Now that is how you run a train network. A fast, frequent, cheap and very easy to use train service, encourages very high passenger numbers.

In fairness though, comparing Ireland with the Netherlands is comparing apples and oranges in terms of topography, population density and distribution.

That said, I think we can all be in agreement that public transport is substantially underfunded in this country.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

Ah but what about the hundreds of clerical staff involved in CIE's current, overly complicated marketing, timetabling and ticket selling nonsense, not to mention the expensive ticket vending machines, ticket office staff and travelling ticket sellers - there wouldn't be any jobs for them in a streamlined system. And Barry Kenny and his other spin doctors would have even less work to do as there would be less complaints. :D

Advertisement