Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Clontarf or Malahide?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

plodder wrote:
    I was thinking more from the point of view of people just trying to get around locally at those times. Say you just need to drive to the doctor or a shop. It's a lot worse in Clontarf, because it's so close to the city, and you have so much traffic from the Northside passing through. I don't live there, but I drive through it every day to get to work.

Clontarf is a network of roads that interconnect. If you were going locally anywhere nobody would need to touch the Clontarf or Howth Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

L wrote: »
    Well, the traffic problems are on the Clontarf road and Howth road - for the most part they're not the roads inside the neighbourhood that you'd use to go to the shop or the doctor.
    Yes, the main roads are the worst, but sometimes you get traffic backed up on the others trying to access the main roads. Bottom of Castle ave, Kincora rd, St Lawrence rd. I'm sure much of it is fine, but traffic is a consequence of being close to city and two main city arteries unfortunately.
    Also, just struck me board structure is probably not going to be great for this question - Clontarf's in one board (Dublin City), Malahide is in another (Dublin County North).
    Probably should ask the question there too as most people will be biased due to knowing one of the two areas better than the other. I grew up in Malahide. So, I'd know it well. I like the fact that it is at the edge of city. Sporting facilities/clubs in Malahide are excellent too. The broadmeadows is one of the best locations in the country to learn to sail. It is close to a good shopping centre in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Buer wrote: »
    I'd have thought the exact opposite, to be honest.

Not sure there's an opposite of what I said there (or at least I can't figure it). What do you mean? :s

L wrote:
    Not sure there's an opposite of what I said there (or at least I can't figure it). What do you mean? :s

That St. Anne's possesses the greater amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Go with Malahide, Clontarf will be under water in twenty years :)

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    That St. Anne's possesses the greater amenities.

No argument from me on it. I'm just saying St Anne's is a better comparison than Clontarf Castle. ;)

minikin wrote: »
    Go with Malahide, Clontarf will be under water in twenty years :)

Malahide is a bone dry place that never floods. It's true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭caimitator

Wow.

First, let me say thank you all for your advice.

Second, just from a very rough glance, it looks like there are 8 "votes" in favour of Malahide, 7 for Clontarf (and one for Skerries). I guess this reflects how divided I am.

My SO tends to think that the commute won't impact our quality of life as much as I think it will (we're living in Meath atm). However, it is something that I do worry about.

caimitator wrote: »
    Wow. My SO tends to think that the commute won't impact our quality of life as much as I think it will (we're living in Meath atm). However, it is something that I do worry about.

Ironically, I now work in Meath. Even against traffic, I abhor the commute each day.

If she works in the M50 area, living in Clontarf or Malahide isn't going to make that much difference (Clontarf is slightly closer but wouldn't make a difference, really). But your commute to the city centre could be more than doubled depending on your mode of transport.

I would say that if you've any ties to either area, go with that i.e. friends, family etc. Both are lovely areas with a host of amenities. For day to day life, I'd take Clontarf. For weekends and summer time, I'd take Malahide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I would rather live in Clontarf due to the fact it's closer to town. I think the houses are nicer, and there are no "mcmansion" estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Hi OP,

I've lived/live in both so can answer you fairly.

Clontarf is lovely and very convenient to the city centre but lacks atmosphere. They've no real village as such and although the seafront is lovely its not as nice and Malahide and Portmarnock coastlines.

I currently live in Malahide and absolutely love the village atmosphere. Its always buzzing with loads of nice places to eat. You've great beaches on your doorstop along with the Castle which in my opinion is much nicer than St Annes and has a great playground, Avoca, par 3, tennis courts etc.

My vote would definitely be with Malahide. However if living close to the city is a priority I'd go with Clontarf.

What did you choose in the end OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭caimitator

Neither, believe it or not. Found a place that satisfied all requirements in Raheny! Came as a surprise to all because we hadn't properly looked there before...

caimitator wrote: »
    Neither, believe it or not. Found a place that satisfied all requirements in Raheny! Came as a surprise to all because we hadn't properly looked there before...

Lovely area. I could see myself living in any further these areas in the future In addition to sutton, Baldoyle.

Baldoyle a bit rougher than the others, but I like it because I'm from their. Not as nice, or as much to do compared to Clontarf, Raheny, Howth, Malahide and Sutton.

Advertisement