Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Clontarf or Malahide?

Options
  • 24-01-2017 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Looking for some advice.

Have the opportunity to buy in Clontarf or Malahide. Both houses are same size, garden in Malahide is slightly bigger and house is nicer. I work in city centre, SO works Park West (off M50). No children yet but will hopefully start a family in the next couple of years.

I understand that people will say it's down to personal preference etc. But looking for genuine advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I can't provide advice, but I suppose the schools in Malahide are very good but Clontarf is really very close to town. I think I would probably go with Malahide if the house is nicer and bigger.

I wish I had your problem OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Local forum charter applies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd prefer Malahide because you have the beach, Malahide Castle, the train and closer proximity to the M50. Also because of the nicer house with the bigger garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd prefer Malahide, lovely Bars and Restaurants, nice Village, and better beachfront than Clontarf. That said, I'd happily live in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd go with Clontarf.
    It's nearer town. (less money in a taxi!) and better for your commute to town.
    If either / both of you change jobs, odds are you may get jobs close to town so you'd be 'futureproofing' yourselves. Even if you get a job southside, Clontarf isn't that far Northside to get across, and you have East Link as an option apart from the dire M50.
    Your SO may have an easier commute if you chose Malahide though.
    You've St Annes park.
    You've more surrounding villages / localities / facilities - Raheny, Killester etc...
    I just feel you're nearer so many things than Malahide.
    It is a tough choice though!
    Clontarf prices would outweigh Malahide, and there's reasons for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

You could easily commute from Clontarf to city centre by bike. It's a little further and less pleasant cycling from Malahide. Apart from that point, I think I'd prefer Malahide. It has a nicer town feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

caimitator wrote: »
    Looking for some advice.

Have the opportunity to buy in Clontarf or Malahide. Both houses are same size, garden in Malahide is slightly bigger and house is nicer. I work in city centre, SO works Park West (off M50). No children yet but will hopefully start a family in the next couple of years.

I understand that people will say it's down to personal preference etc. But looking for genuine advice.

Out of interest whereabouts in Clontarf and Malahide are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd go for Clontarf, more "wealthy old money", less "look how rich we are new money" in my limited experience which I found preferable. Traffic in Malahide can be a bit of a nightmare too.

Though, as a few posters have said already, I'd happily live in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd prefer Malahide because you have the beach, Malahide Castle, the train and closer proximity to the M50. Also because of the nicer house with the bigger garden.

Are you joking?
    Clontarf has the beach. Dollymount.
    Has the castle. Clontarf Castle (not the same, I know!)
    Has the train station. Clontarf Road
    Is just as close to the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Both are good well developed areas to live. Similar prices are no accident - nor is getting a little more land & a nicer house in Malahide. Clontarf you're paying for being close to the city but in a leafy suburb with a seafront promenade, large park and beach.

On balance, I'd buy in Clontarf - much shorter commute with more options for you, about the same commute for your SO, an only "slightly bigger" garden in Malahide favours the underlying value of the Clontarf land & you always have the opportunity to make the house nicer - you can't make the Malahide one closer to the city.

Effects wrote: »

Well, castle aside, the Malahide Castle Grounds are better compared to St Anne's park as an amenity.

Traffic in Clontarf (Howth rd and Clontarf rd) is dreadful at peak commuting times. Oddly enough, the time that it's worst in Malahide is more likely a sunny Sunday afternoon, which maybe says something too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Malahide ftw for me

Perfect balance of urban, rural and recreational. With a bit of high brow to boot.

And once you can avail of the Dart you're sorted commute wise. And you're minutes from the M50, M1 and the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

They are equally as desirable. Really is down to personal preference. I agree with the post above re old money and new money. Beware with some of the newer developments in Malahide, a good few of them were hit with pyrite issues in the noughties.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd go for Clontarf, more "wealthy old money", less "look how rich we are new money" in my limited experience which I found preferable. Traffic in Malahide can be a bit of a nightmare too.

Though, as a few posters have said already, I'd happily live in either.

Malahide is a pensioners' refuge so I'm not sure where all the new money is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

lawred2 wrote: »

Abington?? Abbots Hill? :rolleyes:

Abington?? Abbots Hill? :rolleyes:

oh god yeah I forgot about those awful places lol

I was just picturing Church road

Nothing is as bad as Myra Manor though

plodder wrote: »
    Traffic in Clontarf (Howth rd and Clontarf rd) is dreadful at peak commuting times. Oddly enough, the time that it's worst in Malahide is more likely a sunny Sunday afternoon, which maybe says something too :)

At peak times you get the same traffic issues. You pretty much have to go to Clontarf to get to Malahide.

People in their 30s with their first kid approaching school age love moving there.

People in their 30s with their first kid approaching school age love moving there.

you mean regular working people?

since when were they lumped into the rather derogatory 'new money' category?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Clontarf, for quicker access to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Out of interest whereabouts in Clontarf and Malahide are you looking at?
    This is important. They both have loads to offer but are quite spread out. You could end up right beside good commuting and amenity options or up to 2 kms away. A younger me would tend to Clontarf, the older me prefers further out, but that's just one person's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Both lovely but Clontarf will be a much shorter journey to work in the city centre every day. Malahide road is awful in heavy traffic. Check out journey time to M50 at rush hour.

Clontarf has great facilities, schools, shopping etc.

At peak times you get the same traffic issues. You pretty much have to go to Clontarf to get to Malahide.
    I was thinking more from the point of view of people just trying to get around locally at those times. Say you just need to drive to the doctor or a shop. It's a lot worse in Clontarf, because it's so close to the city, and you have so much traffic from the Northside passing through. I don't live there, but I drive through it every day to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

plodder wrote: »
    I was thinking more from the point of view of people just trying to get around locally at those times. Say you just need to drive to the doctor or a shop. It's a lot worse in Clontarf, because it's so close to the city, and you have so much traffic from the Northside passing through. I don't live there, but I drive through it every day to get to work.

Well, the traffic problems are on the Clontarf road and Howth road - for the most part they're not the roads inside the neighbourhood that you'd use to go to the shop or the doctor.

Also, just struck me board structure is probably not going to be great for this question - Clontarf's in one board (Dublin City), Malahide is in another (Dublin County North).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Are you joking?
    Clontarf has the beach. Dollymount.
    Has the train station. Clontarf Road
    Is just as close to the M50.

No I'm not. I was born in Clontarf and lived there until I was 13. I live in the north county now and gave my personal opinion. It really is down to personal choice/lifestyle, and both areas have their pros and cons.

The OP said they hope to start a family in the near future, and Malahide would be my choice in that instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

you mean regular working people?

since when were they lumped into the rather derogatory 'new money' category?
    When they could afford to buy Clontarf or Malahide... particularly if they're a one-income family.

Having spent nearly seven years in Clontarf until last summer, some of the "girlos" at the school gates are a right dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Clontarf, for those who have money.

Malahide, for those pretending to have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭billyhead

You should look at Skerries. Malahide and Clontarf are overrated. With the same money you could buy a lovely house in Skerries (probably on its own land) and you wouldn't have to contend with traffic lights every 100-200 meters. If I had the doss its where I would buy anyway. The commute would not be too bad either with a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

L wrote:
    Well, castle aside, the Malahide Castle Grounds are better compared to St Anne's park as an amenity.

I'd have thought the exact opposite, to be honest.

Have lived in Clontarf and worked in Malahide, OP. You can renovate or extend a house but you can't relocate it. Malahide is a lovely area and if you worked from home or had a career set up out there, I'd say go for it.

But they're vastly different in terms of commute. The Malahide Road can be miserable at times and it's a decent run out there on the road. Leaving the city centre at 5pm and you can be in your living room at 5.25pm with the feet up if you live in Clontarf. That has a massive impact on your quality of life.

For your other half, if you map it I suspect there's not actually that much difference between Clontarf and Malahide to the M50. Clontarf might even be closer and would be against traffic.

Advertisement