Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat missing her pal desperately- put down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

So last question. Do I keep going with her or not? She is skin and bone..., less than 3 kgs. If I use Valium she's utterly stoned... stumbling... can't lift head & sleeps all day.... even on half dose vet said and I can't cut tablet any smaller than quarter....

She's not fattening up, she doesn't go out anymore and shd was such an outdoor girl.....

She's barely ticking by..... she at least wants to be petted for short spells but just not my funny happy cat anymore... tree climbing now distant memory....

It's just not come back way she should.... I know everyone must think mr nuts but she still misses her buddy. When you pet her it's all bone!

If she put up weight I'd think differently.....it's nearly 8 weeks since her buddy passed.

Her quality of life seems gone... utterly chAnged.... very sad...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It can take up to six months according to this; I'd still consider company as a foster to try if that would help.

Thanks nody! A very interesting read. My vet very dismissive of a cat feeling such grief... keeps saying most unusuAl and doesn't really happen to cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

It is hard. I must admit, when one of ours goes, I always bring them in one by one so they see the one that's gone. I was very concerned when we lost one cat, how her son would react, as he just loved her so much; was always with her, always cuddling her. He gave her a sniff and a prod after she was gone, and then seemed fine. I obviously don't know if it makes a difference, but it's something we've always done...

I know you don't want another cat, but I wonder if the distraction would help? It must be hard for her if there were only the two and they had their routines.

Like Nody said, fosting one short term may help, as then you wouldn't have the commitment of a new cat, would be able to see if it does help - if it doesn't you've done the good thing by fostering, and if it does, then you can think again about having another kitty.

I do hope she improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I feel so sorry for you - its torture having a loved pet suffering - whether from grief or illness or whatever.
    Only you can decide whether you can continue to watch your pet grieve. Only you can decide whether its quality of life is such that its time to consider having her put to sleep.
    You will decide what is best for you and your pet, and I wish you only good thoughts until you come through the other side of this ordeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

zipee wrote: »
    Picture of her if it works 😊

I sometimes look at my cats when they are sleeping or just sitting there, wondering what they are dreaming of or what they are thinking of. if only we knew.

sry thats a bit of a weird message

good luck op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

So last question. Do I keep going with her or not? She is skin and bone..., less than 3 kgs. If I use Valium she's utterly stoned... stumbling... can't lift head & sleeps all day.... even on half dose vet said and I can't cut tablet any smaller than quarter....

She's not fattening up, she doesn't go out anymore and shd was such an outdoor girl.....

She's barely ticking by..... she at least wants to be petted for short spells but just not my funny happy cat anymore... tree climbing now distant memory....

It's just not come back way she should.... I know everyone must think mr nuts but she still misses her buddy. When you pet her it's all bone!

If she put up weight I'd think differently.....it's nearly 8 weeks since her buddy passed.

i can't remember if you said her blood was tested? would be very interested to see what her liver/kidney functions are like cause what you are describing to this degree isn't normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Have you tried with Nutribound?
    It's a liquid complementary nourishing product by Virbac.
    It says that if you feed your cat on it for a couple of days, this should awake their sense of thirst and hunger and should be pushed to eat on their own.
    From the third day you can mix this product with their usual wet food. It promises to restore their feeding habits in about a week time.
    It comes in 150 ml bottles, the recommended administration is 6 ml per kg of cat weight a day, a bottle would last a week for a 3 kg cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP I have been following this thread as it caught on my own experience and I so hoped yours would recover.

When I came to Ireland, many years ago now I brought with me the last three from my Siamese breeding time. They were all sib ie the same father although different litters and had been together all their lives. Totally devoted to each other and I became aware that when one died, they would follow each other like ninepins... They were around 12-14.

Sure enough when one died, the second followed from a different cause. The third simply pined to death. He decided to die and nothing was going to stop him.

He would leave his chair, the one he shared with the others, go and drink water, use the tray, go back to the chair.. . Nothing more. His coat got hard and lifeless. Used to wash him gently.

I had another younger cat; not interested. And realising the likely outcome, I took in a family of three kittens in great need. Not interested .

When he finally went he had a smile on his face.

I know now that this happens more than many realise; vets seem to be unaware of the grief cats can and do feel. My lad certainly grieved to death.

I have no advice for you, sadly, only a sharing and my prayers. It is heartbreaking to see, I used to take him into bed with me which he always loved, but he would just go back to his chair.

He had made his decision. At one stage I felt so .... rejected.

NB powder the valium to less than a quarter? Can be done. Just a grain or two.

And if she has decided to die she will; seems she has not done that. My boy had. I had had him since birth.

Graces7 I only saw your post now. Never got notification of it for some reason.... but that was it 100% she chose not to be here anymore. Nothing I did helped.

Anyway got her put down this morning weighing 2.5kgs. She was jaundiced ... her liver packing in due to anoerexia (spelt wrong). I am very cross with vets... and myself....

Why didn't vet listen to me? 4 weeks ago I wanted her suffering stopped I knew she didn't want to live? She's been my baby for 14 yrs... do people think I had just tired of her after this length of devotion and wanted her gone for convenience?? It seems nuts??

I think we have gone sooooo.... oh save the animal that we are losing sight of don't let an animal suffer!! I think vet was very wrong. My sister thinks it's a money making thing for vets to string families along when so emotionally distraught.... guilt them into another few visits & bloods....

Anyway I'm cross with me for not being stronger with vet 4 weeks ago & insisting she put her down. She suffered on & she did suffer... I think she was in pain yesterday and I never wanted that.

Graces7 you are so right... two vets so dismissive a cat could pine like that! It was utter devotion and she just didn't want to be here without soulmate....

Anyway suffering ended now thank god! She snuggled with me last night for a bit & this morning.... she was saying goodbye. Finally at peace....

Thanks for all support! Xxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm sorry for all of that, OP.

I had a cat where I'm quite convinced about that she put her own life to an end.

She was a shelter cat and after a few months of having her alone, I knew she missed something and I got a kitten that she guarded and mothered like she never did anything else. After a year the kitten, an absolutely lovable boy got hit by a car and died.
    My cat was griefing, she refused to come into the house, she didn't eat, she lost hair and she suddenly had a very strange body odor.
    My first reaction: calling all the shelters in the area that I desperately need a kitten, my cat just lost her beloved baby. Eventually I managed to get one that was abandoned and brought it home.
    My cat couldn't do anything with it, still wailing outside and looking for her baby.
    She didn't come home but I've seen her in the garden.
    A few days later the neighbor told me, she's sitting a huge chunk of the day close to the street where her baby got hit. I couldn't manage to catch her.
    Two days later, she as well got hit by a car and I sh*t you not, it was in the same spot where he got hit.

Best of luck to get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP.. HUGS.... I had wondered.

There was with my last boy, no organ failure, no pain, Just a determination. I did not take him to a vet; was as I am now far far from any and knew what was happening. 14 years of being together and they think cats do not know? Of course they care and of course they love.

The first of my three died of a heart condition, the second cancer . WIth this one , it was simply grief.

When I came to Ireland, the three of them would follow me up the lanes, one after the other.. later followed by twin pet lambs, then a hen with no toes. They were inseparable.

You did what was right for you and the cat; am so very very sorry.

Please do not waste precious energy on anger. Just let time and love heal you and then maybe ..I was very glad I had the new ones then

Blessings and peace.

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP.. HUGS.... I had wondered.

There was with my last boy, no organ failure, no pain, Just a determination. I did not take him to a vet; was as I am now far far from any and knew what was happening. 14 years of being together and they think cats do not know? Of course they care and of course they love.

The first of my three died of a heart condition, the second cancer . WIth this one , it was simply grief.

When I came to Ireland, the three of them would follow me up the lanes, one after the other.. later followed by twin pet lambs, then a hen with no toes. They were inseparable.

You did what was right for you and the cat; am so very very sorry.

Please do not waste precious energy on anger. Just let time and love heal you and then maybe ..I was very glad I had the new ones then

Blessings and peace.

Lovely post!

Thanks

Advertisement