Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey 4255

Options
  • 19-01-2017 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    Looking to buy a Massey 4255 but not sure which gearbox to go for. The general opinion seems to be to stay away from the power shuttle so does this rule out the 18x6 and 24x24 gearboxes? Also any idea what the top road speed the 12x12 gearbox would be?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Hi,
    Looking to buy a Massey 4255 but not sure which gearbox to go for. The general opinion seems to be to stay away from the power shuttle so does this rule out the 18x6 and 24x24 gearboxes? Also any idea what the top road speed the 12x12 gearbox would be?
    Cheers

Have a 4300 series massey here. It has the 24 X 24 power shuttle box. It was one of the reasons that I bought the tractor. The other 2 gearbox options use a dry clutch. The power shuttle would be much more desirable in my neck of the woods and be seen as absolutely trouble free.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Have a 4345 here with 12x12 manual shuttle. It has a 30km box on it so not quick on the road but to be honest on most roads around here its plenty quick enough any faster would wreck anything rear mounted:D. A 40km box would be nice though for any road trips with bale trailer or cattle box though. Next time :)

Dry clutch on the manual 12x12 shuttle a lot of bale work feeding cattle tough on it. I heard there were issues with the syncroshuttle on the 4200 series (maybe pub talk I'm no expert but had that idea in my head) but that may have been sorted on the 4300 series. Also may have just been people using them wrong initially on the 4200 series tractors. I haven't heard of any major issues with the syncroshuttle locally with 4300 or the 5400 series tractors from lads who have them.

Below is the spec page for the 4300 series. From sheet below it looks like a 40km box could be gotten on the 4355 and above.
    I would imagine the 4200 is similar they're practically the same tractor apart from some cosmetic changes and a shorter console mounted gear lever on the 4300 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 1968massey135

Thanks for that. The tractor would be used for hauling a cattle trailer on the road so the 40k box would be handy. The shuttle wouldnt get a lot of use on the farm, really just looking to upgrade from the zetor 7245 which has recently been sold and fancied a massey. 4wd would be needed in winter but apart from drawing silage bales and some general farm duties it will have a fairly easy life. Any thoughts on what spec would be best suited?

Would also be open to any suggestions on alternative tractor? 40k, around 90hp, 4wd, handy for round yard, doesnt need loader. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Light enough backend on those 42/43 series masseys. I was going to get one but got a new Holland 6635 instead. Same as a tl 90. Bullet proof reliability and nimble around a yard. 40k as well if that's important. Fiat/iveco engine etc etc.
    Them 42 series also had the same stupid spring problem as the 390. They also tend to rust, the 43 doesn't I believe.
    Springs only few euro but tractor has to be split.
    If you go with the massey try find out if it was done and the upgraded spring installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Thanks for that. The tractor would be used for hauling a cattle trailer on the road so the 40k box would be handy. The shuttle wouldnt get a lot of use on the farm, really just looking to upgrade from the zetor 7245 which has recently been sold and fancied a massey. 4wd would be needed in winter but apart from drawing silage bales and some general farm duties it will have a fairly easy life. Any thoughts on what spec would be best suited?

Have a 02 4255 here for past 4.5 yrs. 18x6 gearbox so no shuttle.40km road speed and splitter is handy on the road no doubt. Has loader on it and handles 600 bales twice per year and tbh, either of the shuttle models would be handier in our case.

Biggest issue is the speed of reverse. Reverse in H is waaaay too fast for yard work. Reverse in M on the otherhand is just too slow and unnecessary revving.

On the othrhand we've a 2wd 390t with a shuttle and H1 in forward or reverse is perfect gear around the yard.

Other than that no complaints - nice comfortable big cab which was important for us. Good sound proofing. Controls simple and fall to hand easily. Burns around 7l diesel per hour at regular type work, (390t around 4l per hour), air seat & aircon, sunroof, front & rear spots nice to have. I drove a 7211 on a bake wrapper some years back and 4255 woukd be a massive step up in comfort, power and driveability from that.
    Only issue with tractor was of our own making- fan belt failed- father never noticed rising engine temp, lead to piston rings becoming glazed, a knock in the engine and oil dripping from engine steam pipe- complete engine overhaul €3,300, ouch. Engine sweet as a nut now.

Tractor cost €26k from a dealer in 2012, just over 3k hours on it at the time. Import from a scottish tillage farm Dealer put a mf/quickie joystick loader on it for us. T'will see us another 5 years anyway unless we win the lotto.

thanks for the info. Hopefully going this week to see an 02 4255 that has the 18x6 gearbox and a 4255 with 12x12 gearbox and sloped bonnet, both about 5000hrs. Is there anything that i need to look out for apart from the usual checks with brakes, clutch, engine etc?

kay 9 wrote: »
    Light enough backend on those 42/43 series masseys. I was going to get one but got a new Holland 6635 instead. Same as a tl 90. Bullet proof reliability and nimble around a yard. 40k as well if that's important. Fiat/iveco engine etc etc.
    Them 42 series also had the same stupid spring problem as the 390. They also tend to rust, the 43 doesn't I believe.
    Springs only few euro but tractor has to be split.
    If you go with the massey try find out if it was done and the upgraded spring installed.

Yeah 6635 / TL90 are a good machine alright and were well up on our list when we were buying. Might have bought one as well but Dad prefers MF and he signs the big chq's.

No rust issues on our 42 and I can't even see where rust might even start bubble up.

I dunno on the spring issue - we've the 390t for 14 yrs and the 4255 coming up on 5, thats almost 19 yrs work and no issue on either machine.

The precursor to the 6635, say a Fiat 8894 would be worth a look also
    Here's one
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/fiat-8894/14275406

Off farm condition but if it's genuine i would not be afraid of it. Might need front tyres, a tidy up in the cab but if it's ok it looks a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭John J. Lyons

The 105 40 Zetor would be a great tractor and a lot stronger than a 4255 or the likes and trouble free the power shuttle are a nice job but have the cheque book out if they give trouble

thanks for the info. Hopefully going this week to see an 02 4255 that has the 18x6 gearbox and a 4255 with 12x12 gearbox and sloped bonnet, both about 5000hrs. Is there anything that i need to look out for apart from the usual checks with brakes, clutch, engine etc?

Dry clutch can need replacement 3-5k hours, so check that aspect out. Clutch on ours was done before we bought it @ 3k hours

Engine should be ok if not abused & fan belt checked regularly:o. Should startup quickly, no major smoke, no oil out the dipstick or down the steampipe, nice sweet sound, no knocks from engine.

Brakes no major repair issues that i am aware of - one thing to look for might be that when you hit the brakes the 4 wd engages so you have 4 wheel breaking. This is hard on front tyres when breaking in the yard / turning in from the road. Garage can put in a simple switch to turn off the 4 wheel breaking when not needed and on again when required.

Tyres are something to look for if still on originals they will probably need replacement and you'd need to budget for that.

Lift / PTO no issues that I am aware of.

• Advertisement

The 105 40 Zetor would be a great tractor and a lot stronger than a 4255 or the likes and trouble free the power shuttle are a nice job but have the cheque book out if they give trouble

The massey would be much more refined. Before I bought my one I didn't have any love for masseys and viewed them as light duty too. They are a lot heavier tractor than they look and continue to impress me as time goes on. There's a real quality about them, plenty grease nipples on the front axle etc where John deere and probably others hardly have a handful, good quality hitch too.....
    Them 40 series Zetors are very crude and are prone to lots of oil leaks and annoying little niggles.

The massey would be much more refined. Before I bought my one I didn't have any love for masseys and viewed them as light duty too. They are a lot heavier tractor than they look and continue to impress me as time goes on. There's a real quality about them, plenty grease nipples on the front axle etc where John deere and probably others hardly have a handful, good quality hitch too.....
    Them 40 series Zetors are very crude and are prone to lots of oil leaks and annoying little niggles.

Zetor brakes are a nightmare too, when they go wrong of course

Zetor brakes are a nightmare too, when they go wrong of course

They're easy to do and parts are cheap so there'd be no excuse for having dodgy brakes.

lads thanks for all the replies. went to see the 12x12 and 18x6 and both nice straight tractors. So what would the advice be on the best gearbox to go for?

I think the 12/12 is better geared

If you're doing a share of roadwork the 18-6 would be better. The splitter would come in handy there.

The 12/12 would be my choice also. Def handier for yard work and better ratios. Even with low splitter, taking off in 1H with a load puts a bit of pressure on engine/clutch.

In the 12/12, 1H is a lower gear so easier to move off in.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    The 12/12 would be my choice also. Def handier for yard work and better ratios. Even with low splitter, taking off in 1H with a load puts a bit of pressure on engine/clutch.

In the 12/12, 1H is a lower gear so easier to move off in.

Are u sure on that Jimmy?.... As in are both 40k boxes? . I know of a 390t with 40k 12x12 box and 1h is very quick. Loader on same tractor and all work done in Medium range.

Are u sure on that Jimmy?.... As in are both 40k boxes? . I know of a 390t with 40k 12x12 box and 1h is very quick. Loader on same tractor and all work done in Medium range.

Two nice 4365s on dd at the moment. Be a much better tractor ;)

Two nice 4365s on dd at the moment. Be a much better tractor ;)

Two late examples too. Power shuttle one with the loader is a nice combination.

• Advertisement

Just a wee bit on the wrong side of our £15k budget i'm afraid!

Tried a few 4255s and found the gear stick generally hard to use and to get in to gear. Found a nice clean low houred NH 7635 which i'm going to go for instead.

Tried a few 4255s and found the gear stick generally hard to use and to get in to gear. Found a nice clean low houred NH 7635 which i'm going to go for instead.

You won't be disappointed. Great little tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Best of luck with it

Ah no, you can't do that now!!!!

Best of luck with it.

Ah no, you can't do that now!!!!

Best of luck with it.
    The Traitor, turned to the darkside but it ain't a bad place to be :D

The fergie and 135 wont be going anywhere! I've only drove the NH around the sale yard and not out on the open road yet and I read a previous post about them being bouncy because of the short wheel base. Has anyone had any experience of this?

The fergie and 135 wont be going anywhere! I've only drove the NH around the sale yard and not out on the open road yet and I read a previous post about them being bouncy because of the short wheel base. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Yeah we kept the old masseys here too. Mine is bouncy if I go over I think 37kph for some reason. I've got Goodyear tyres on though and they're supposed to be notorious for it due to the soft side wall. Is there a loader on yours?

Hi, no loader on this one and wouldnt be planning on fitting one.

• Advertisement

I was also always taught to check for oil spitting from the dipstick with the engine running and warm. The dipstick on the NH is a snug fit and when i pulled it out there were definitely a few spits. Theres only 2600hrs on the clock, it starts first tip from cold and sounds sweet with no breathing or knocks or rattles. Would oil spits be normal for these engines? Sorry if this is a daft question

Advertisement