Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PRND12

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I nearly always reverse into parking spots.

same applies, Drive up , Reverse in , Park , it the most effective layout for most journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ive been wondering, what would happen if you put an auto in N at high speeds? Would you need to coast to a stop or would it go back into whatever gear you needed to be in at the speed you are doing?

Nah, it'd be kinda like pressing the clutch and letting it up again. Can't be good for the transmission, but it wouldn't be dramatic. If you matched the revs reasonably well you could do it smoother. That's on a normal torque converter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nah, it'd be kinda like pressing the clutch and letting it up again. Can't be good for the transmission, but it wouldn't be dramatic. If you matched the revs reasonably well you could do it smoother. That's on a normal torque converter anyway.

Don't think I'll give it a go either way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ive been wondering, what would happen if you put an auto in N at high speeds? Would you need to coast to a stop or would it go back into whatever gear you needed to be in at the speed you are doing?

You'l can put an auto in nuetral at any point, as a safety features I suppose.

You have to have the brake pedal pressed to enter reverse or drive so it's not always possible to re-select a gear while the car is rolling.

I can do it in the Honda at times but that is semi auto. If I'm coasting downhill at 15-20kmh I just tap the brake and pop it in to drive and it goes in perfectly smooth. Might be different with a torque converter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Put it in N - plant the boot - drop it into D -

Not sure if that's the correct procedure but it's how i got the auto pajero to do donuts anyway.

The manual ones were waaaaaay more fun to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

You have to have the brake pedal pressed to enter reverse or drive so it's not always possible to re-select a gear while the car is rolling.

I can do it in the Honda at times but that is semi auto. If I'm coasting downhill at 15-20kmh I just tap the brake and pop it in to drive and it goes in perfectly smooth. Might be different with a torque converter box.

I can definitely put my Honda in d while rolling in N

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on the car.

Advertisement