Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PRND12

Options
  • 18-01-2017 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Is there some mechanical reason that the selector on automatics is generally PRND?

Surely D should be before R as it is used every single time a car is switched on and R isn't necessarily?

I also see a lot of autos sitting at lights where the reverse light flashes on when the lights go green. This is obviously people who have put the car in P while waiting and then have to go thru R and N to get back to D?

Surely PDNR makes more sense? Or PD21NR where you can select 1 and 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are a number of reasons for this, mostly safety. It's done in such a way that you can't accidentally select reverse or make the car down change.

Auto boxes are changing nowadays anyway. The lever can be electronic like on bmws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I also see a lot of autos sitting at lights where the reverse light flashes on when the lights go green.

Do people put their autos in P at lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

safer to accidentally shift into neutral at motorway speeds, then into park :o

Yeah some do. I used to when I had auto. That's a whole other thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

They sure do, drives me up the wall.

Asked a buddy why he does it, he does it because he doesn't want to burn out the clutch by loading/holding it on the brakes... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No need if you have an electronic parking brake with the auto hold feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cheensbo wrote: »
    They sure do, drives me up the wall.

Asked a buddy why he does it, he does it because he doesn't want to burn out the clutch by loading/holding it on the brakes... :(

Does he realise that there is no clutch, and the fluid coupling is not in any pain at engine idle speeds? :pac:

DSG has a dual clutch for example, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bazz26 wrote: »
    DSG has a dual clutch for example, no?

Yup. But a PRUNDY lever suggests to me an old-style slushbox, which would have a fluid coupling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

jimgoose wrote: »
    Does he realise that there is no clutch, and the fluid coupling is not in any pain at engine idle speeds? :pac:

Yeah, I've explained the mechanics but I'm wrong either way.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Id say
    P
    N
    D
    L
    R
    would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

biko wrote: »
    Id say
    P
    N
    D
    L
    R
    would be better
    I would say that Neutral is good to have between any forward gear and reverse... I wouldn't have any mechanical knowledge to back this up, but it just make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

"Put it in H..."

It's a common sight to see people put it in park when stopped... I was once in a taxi where the driver coasted in neutral every chance he got :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

"Put it in H..."

It's a common sight to see people put it in park when stopped... I was once in a taxi where the driver coasted in neutral every chance he got :eek:

Yeah, if I'm going to be stopped for ages I lash it into P, or into N with the handbrake.

I've found that if you are hitting speedbumps fast, that selecting N seems to give the car less of a jerk, but I reckon that might be in my head.

I think I've put it in Neutral once in the 3 years I've been driving an auto.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think I've put it in Neutral once in the 3 years I've been driving an auto.

Every time you drive anywhere you surely go thru N to get to D?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Every time you drive anywhere you surely go thru N to get to D?

:rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

He's got a fancy BMW auto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I usually just hold mine at lights with the footbrake, though if stopped for more than the average light sequence I'll use N/P plus the electronic handbrake

I have seen some people who'll park them up without the handbrake. I've done so myself a few times when I had a caliper issue on previous cars, but I never like that little rocking it does when you take your foot off the brake.. always feels like you might snap something.

As for selection order, I think it's grand as is with R and P being at the top of the tree (as they're not used as much) and N separating them from D, S/L etc (plus you have to hold in the button to engage R or P which is a good safety feature)
    I almost never use S(port) though. Never need to unless maybe doing a brisk overtake on an N/R-road (which is rare enough too as I do almost entirely motorway runs). I don't think I've used the manual tiptronic/paddle shifts at all in the current car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Mine used to be LSDNRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It's what people are used to, even the Nissan Leaf and Tesla use the format and they don't even have gearboxes as such.

Mine used to be LSDNRP.

Were you looking at it upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It makes sense, your car is in your driveway in P
    Your reverse out R
    You go to drive D
    You get to work and drive into your space, back up to P , or you reverse into your space, so R , then P .
    The N in the moddle isnt commonly used, on older boxes it may have given the gearbox a moment to disconnect rather than going straight from forward to reverse.

Pretty logical layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I think having D at the bottom makes sense (in my car anyway) as tiptronic mode is next to it and I'd imagine would be easier to use than having it at the top and left. That said, having tiptronic on the opposite side to the driver isn't great as when I'm doing any spirited driving I tend to pull on the gear selector when going left and end up pulling it back into D.

It makes sense, your car is in your driveway in P
    Your reverse out R
    You go to drive D
    You get to work and drive into your space, back up to P , or you reverse into your space, so R , then P .
    The N in the moddle isnt commonly used, on older boxes it may have given the gearbox a moment to disconnect rather than going straight from forward to reverse.

Pretty logical layout.

I nearly always reverse into parking spots.

I think having D at the bottom makes sense (in my car anyway) as tiptronic mode is next to it and I'd imagine would be easier to use than having it at the top and left. That said, having tiptronic on the opposite side to the driver isn't great as when I'm doing any spirited driving I tend to pull on the gear selector when going left and end up pulling it back into D.

If the car was LHD would it be on the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

If the car was LHD would it be on the inside?

I don't know to be honest but I'd imagine so. It makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ive been wondering, what would happen if you put an auto in N at high speeds? Would you need to coast to a stop or would it go back into whatever gear you needed to be in at the speed you are doing?

Advertisement