Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Android Box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Good enough spec. Android box for around €15 delivered from UK.
    2gb of ram so should run fairly smooth.
    Bought two for my kids rooms.
    Might interest someone here.
    They seem to be selling fast though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/32GB-KODI-XBMC-16-0-Fully-Loaded-Quad-Core-Smart-Android-TV-BOX-Free-HD-Sports-/152399317192?

Did you actually buy from that seller? and did you receive it yet?
    Looks a bit too good to be true and also from relatively untested seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Good enough spec. Android box for around €15 delivered from UK.
    2gb of ram so should run fairly smooth.
    Bought two for my kids rooms.
    Might interest someone here.
    They seem to be selling fast though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/32GB-KODI-XBMC-16-0-Fully-Loaded-Quad-Core-Smart-Android-TV-BOX-Free-HD-Sports-/152399317192?

No way thats legit - 1/3 of the price in china, 70p international postage from uk - have you seen royal mail charges in the last 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Chanced my arm at it, strange it is also 70 pence to deliver to Ireland as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

it has a rockchip processor, kodi do not support that chip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Can't see anything other than cancellation and refund if you buy this

Far too cheap to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Seller has 50 feedback..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

The listing has now been removed from eBay.
    Safe to say it was a misprice I would think.

They are $60 on manufacturers site in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Screenshot.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If it sounds too good to be true..........

Yep. Suspiciously low pricing. Hope everyone gets their money back, including the seller whose account was hacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Just get a Fire tv stick

i actually got a Xiaomi Mi Box in the post yesterday and am delighted with it, a great little yoke.
    Has proper Google style Android TV interface and various Leanback apps just like a Shield or Nexus Player. Costs a bit more, but I highly recommend it over these random boxes.

Funnily enough, one of my favourite things about the Xiaomi is the bluetooth. First of all the remote is BT so it doesn't need line of sight to work, much like the one on the Shield.. But what I didn't realise is that you can put at least two other BT devices working as well as the remote which is a pure gift. This allows me to use my BT keyboard and BT headphones with the Mi Box as well as its own remote, which I didn't expect. Virtually every other Android like phones, tablets, and the deceased generic TV box mentioned below, allow only one BT device at a time, which means you can use you keyboard or headphones, but not both.

With the last year I had a generic "MX something or other" clone box branded as "Victsing" that turned into a brick last week, but to be honest I didn't mourn its passing as I had grown to hate it. :o

Fire TV stick as mentioned above would probably also be a much better experience than the generic boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Bought two of these before Christmas for around €21. Delivery took only a week which surprised me. Went for it as it had option of wired and wifi network connections and also HDMI or composite out so I could use with an old TV too not near a lan connection.

So far so good. No lag and plays HD no problem. According to specs its a rockchip processor so comment above about it not being supported doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

duridian wrote: »
    i actually got a Xiaomi Mi Box in the post yesterday and am delighted with it, a great little yoke.
    Has proper Google style Android TV interface and various Leanback apps just like a Shield or Nexus Player. Costs a bit more, but I highly recommend it over these random boxes.

Funnily enough, one of my favourite things about the Xiaomi is the bluetooth. First of all the remote is BT so it doesn't need line of sight to work, much like the one on the Shield.. But what I didn't realise is that you can put at least two other BT devices working as well as the remote which is a pure gift. This allows me to use my BT keyboard and BT headphones with the Mi Box as well as its own remote, which I didn't expect. Virtually every other Android like phones, tablets, and the deceased generic TV box mentioned below, allow only one BT device at a time, which means you can use you keyboard or headphones, but not both.

With the last year I had a generic "MX something or other" clone box branded as "Victsing" that turned into a brick last week, but to be honest I didn't mourn its passing as I had grown to hate it. :o

Fire TV stick as mentioned above would probably also be a much better experience than the generic boxes.

Do you mind me asking where did you buy the Xiaomi Mi box? Interested in this but not sure where's the best place to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Bought two of these before Christmas for around €21. Delivery took only a week which surprised me. Went for it as it had option of wired and wifi network connections and also HDMI or composite out so I could use with an old TV too not near a lan connection.

So far so good. No lag and plays HD no problem. According to specs its a rockchip processor so comment above about it not being supported doesn't make sense to me.

Did you buy from the EU warehouse or China?

Assume you mean 21 each, judging by the price it is now haha

Redlim wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where did you buy the Xiaomi Mi box? Interested in this but not sure where's the best place to buy.

Sure, here you go.

Ordered Wednesday last week from that UK seller and it arrived here (rural Kerry) midday yesterday.

I opted for the slightly more expensive Royal Mail with tracking option at £6.50. The box itself came to between 86 and 87 Euro.

You might want to invest in a USB hub of you want to connect more than just s memory stick, as there is only one USB 2.0 slot and a headphone socket besides the power and HDMI. No SD slot unfortunately, it is very Nexus-like on that regard also.

Certain apps which i can't name hereabouts, need a mouse to scroll/navigate. Kodi is fine with the remote though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-International-Version-4K-HDR-Android-TV-6-0-Voice-Remote-/272470602911

[Edit] Oh and also, the box it comes in is not the bright orange one depicted on ebay. Orange box is probably for the US where most of the services like Hulu etc. are aimed. It comes in a plainer brown box, but don't worry, it's the real deal. The plug adapter is the standard Irish/UK 3 pin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Sure, here you go.

Ordered Wednesday last week from that UK seller and it arrived here (rural Kerry) midday yesterday.

I opted for the slightly more expensive Royal Mail with tracking option at £6.50. The box itself came to between 86 and 87 Euro.

You might want to invest in a USB hub of you want to connect more than just s memory stick, as there is only one USB 2.0 slot and a headphone socket besides the power and HDMI. No SD slot unfortunately, it is very Nexus-like on that regard also.

Certain apps which i can't name hereabouts, need a mouse to scroll/navigate. Kodi is fine with the remote though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-International-Version-4K-HDR-Android-TV-6-0-Voice-Remote-/272470602911

[Edit] Oh and also, the box it comes in is not the bright orange one depicted on ebay. Orange box is probably for the US where most of the services like Hulu etc. are aimed. It comes in a plainer brown box, but don't worry, it's the real deal. The plug adapter is the standard Irish/UK 3 pin as well.

Great info, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Sure, here you go.

Thanks for all that info!

I'm really interested in this but just wondering how many gigs per month would you go through using a box like this?

I know it depends on usage volume but I'm just looking for a general guide based on your own experience.

I live where I can only get wireless BB with a limit of 150gb per month.

Cheers! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Possibly worth a punt.
    Worst case scenario (i reckon) is that you will be without roughly €40 for a week or two.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-3C-TV-Box-Amlogic-S905-4K-Android-5-0-Media-Player-Quad-Core-/282293050396

You do not have to do it. But i think it might be ;) Not many for sale at that price.

Suckit wrote: »
    Possibly worth a punt.
    Worst case scenario (i reckon) is that you will be without roughly €40 for a week or two.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-3C-TV-Box-Amlogic-S905-4K-Android-5-0-Media-Player-Quad-Core-/282293050396

You do not have to do it. But i think it might be ;) Not many for sale at that price.

It has 1GB memory and 4GB space, you will be lucky to get android to boot at all on it

Doesn't support H.265 so something very dodgy about it....

Bits of toaster and irons could flal out of it when you open it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It has 1GB memory and 4GB space, you will be lucky to get android to boot at all on it

What would you recommend?

MikeOis wrote: »
    What would you recommend?

I havent used Android in ages and I used a mini Windows PC so I am looking for advice myself

See this thread, the guys on there have some great advice

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057446012

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252331931211?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thats the box you want to get, use parcel wizard for free postage and have it in a week.

I got a cheap MXQ back in may(when advice on here was thin on the ground) and its now being used to watch videos on my tv(has usb connection,but cant play all files anymore) as its hopeless at streaming etc

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

jeffk wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252331931211?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thats the box you want to get, use parcel wizard for free postage and have it in a week.

I got a cheap MXQ back in may(when advice on here was thin on the ground) and its now being used to watch videos on my tv(has usb connect,but cant play all files anymore) as its hopeless at streaming etc

Would that be preloaded with showbox & mobdro etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Would that be preloaded with showbox & mobdro etc?

Yes and kodi, remote has a kodi button as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Surely this can be marked expired and possibly moved to the android forum? No longer a bargain - no a discussion about which boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You can boot android on 256GB of RAM with 2GB Storage, and it works. Ludicrously Slow. But it works.
    1GB + 4GB with the correct hardware and Firmware would be more than capable, assuming that you do not plan to drown the box with 20 apps that do the same thing and a massive "Community Build" for Kodi.
    That model is the S905-H version. I did say you do not have to buy it, but it would perform quite well if you did not put too much junk on it.
    A decent sub with minimal addons and you are laughing (But can get a lot better).
    If you want cheap and expandable, look at one of the Pi's or Pi alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

flutered wrote: »
    it has a rockchip processor, kodi do not support that chip

I have an Android box with an RK3188, which runs Kodi Jarvis perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

jeffk wrote: »

I got a cheap MXQ back in may(when advice on here was thin on the ground) and its now being used to watch videos on my tv(has usb connection,but cant play all files anymore) as its hopeless at streaming etc

I like the look of this one. Was the one you received still running Android 5.1? Can it receive OTA updates?

• Advertisement

keredern wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info!

I'm really interested in this but just wondering how many gigs per month would you go through using a box like this?

I know it depends on usage volume but I'm just looking for a general guide based on your own experience.

I live where I can only get wireless BB with a limit of 150gb per month.

Cheers! :o

It really depends on how long per day you watch streaming stuff and also the resolution you are watching in.
    I'd say you'd easily get 2 hours a night watching at FullHD/1080p out of the 150GB. Much more if you are streaming 720p.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement