Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2011 Toyota Auris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I believe the 1.6 petrol is a nice engine too, reliable and economical?

They just ring alarms bells here with 1.6 engines historically being sore on juice and high on tax.

What is the tax of the 1.6l petrol here?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Slightly off topic but earlier today I was pricing importing a 13 Auris Hybrid from the UK for the old man. Slightly higher spec than the Luxury model sold here, had a panoramic roof, heated seats, reversing camera, etc and only 22k miles. Was coming in at around 14k cleared. Cheapest similar one I can find on carzone with twice that mileage was asking 17k but obviously comes with a 1 year warranty from Mr T.

Anyone any realistic idea what a 09 Auris 1.33 litre TR (UK spec a bit higher than the Luna here) with about 60k km, in very good condition would be fetching privately these days? 1 UK and 1 Irish owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Hybrid gets it too, surprisingly.

Afaik the 1.6 diesel gets it as well.

gooner99 wrote: »
    I believe the 1.6 petrol is a nice engine too, reliable and economical?

They just ring alarms bells here with 1.6 engines historically being sore on juice and high on tax.

What is the tax of the 1.6l petrol here?

Well the tax on the 1.4 vvti is €570 on cars registered on the co2 tax system so the 1.6 would be the same or more.

The newer 1.33 dual vvti is a better engine than both and is €270-€280 to tax

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Well the tax on the 1.4 vvti is €570 on cars registered on the co2 tax system so the 1.6 would be the same or more.

The newer 1.33 dual vvti is a better engine than both and is €270-€280 to tax

Wouldn't the post 08 1.6l be based on co2?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't the post 08 1.6l be based on co2?

Ya that's what I was saying. Anything after june 08 is co2

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tax is €280 on the 1.6 valvemattic (current shape)

Tax is €280 on the 1.6 valvemattic (current shape)

They are extreamly rare and were only available in auto here afaik

Oh yeah, the ones I was looking at were in Charles Hursts. There's a few uk models on Irish plates for sale privately too.

Oh yeah, the ones I was looking at were in Charles Hursts. There's a few uk models on Irish plates for sale privately too.

How do you rate them Colm, do you know much about the 1.6?

• Advertisement

Same engine as the 09 onwards Avensis. De chape tax shows that it won't be hard on juice either. 130 odd bhp.

From reading around, the mk1 facelifted Auris altough not the worlds most exiciting car seems to have held up well. It's seems to get good reports on reliability with no surprises. Seems simple enough to maintain. The 1.33 dual vvti engine appears to also be robust and reliable. simple setup, with a good mix economy, low tax and resonable to tax.

Anything to look out on a second hand one?

I think some early 1.33 engines around 2009 had issues with carbon build up, but as far as I know it was resolved later. I think it was EGR related.

Looking back through this thread. The mk1 and mk2 i30/ceed seem to be good value. Whats the 1.4 petrol like in them?

Looking back through this thread. The mk1 and mk2 i30/ceed seem to be good value. Whats the 1.4 petrol like in them?

It's a reliable unit and offers good performance. The car itself is let down by interior and the way it drives though. I'd take an auris over one in a heartbeat.

Is that both the mk1 and mk2 ceeds your talking about Johnboy?

Is that both the mk1 and mk2 ceeds your talking about Johnboy?

The mk1 both facelift and pre facelift, although tbh the facelift did improve the interior a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

The mk2 was a giant step up from the mk1 as far as the interior is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

How do you rate them Colm, do you know much about the 1.6?

1.6 Valvematic is a lovely engine with plenty of oomph for an engine that size, under no circumstances should you buy one with that appalling CVT gearbox though! I'd only buy one if it's a manual, I can tell you having had the displeasure of driving one, the auto ruins the car.

1.6 Valvematics were only ever available with the automatic gearbox in Ireland, though, so any 1.6 manual is a UK import, it would be my choice if I was buying an Auris as it's still very efficient, has plenty of oomph and there is nothing whatsoever that could possibly go wrong with that engine.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Anyone know what kind of mpg that could be expected from the 1.6 valvematic and any known issues?

Sounds good. Anyone know what kind of mpg that could be expected from the 1.6 valvematic and any known issues?

They dont really give any issues. If your budget doesn't stretch to the newer model You can get the mk1 auris sr facelift with the valvematic engine in the uk, you see the odd uk import on dondeal too from time to time.

These have an upgraded orange and black upholestery compared to the pure back upholestery in lower spec auris's. they also have privacy glass on the back windows, bigger wheels and a rear spoiler. All in all they are a very nice car.

115698.jpg?version_var&vv
    AETV76830427_1b.jpg
    8628401.jpg
    8628404.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's a reliable unit and offers good performance. The car itself is let down by interior and the way it drives though. I'd take an auris over one in a heartbeat.

You'd have an Auris (Toyota Arse) over a Ferrari or any kind of remotely nice interesting car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭selectamatic

166man wrote: »
    You'd have an Auris (Toyota Arse) over a Ferrari or any kind of remotely nice interesting car though.

image.jpg

I see you've upgraded the anti-Toyota/johnboy keyboard of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

nu_90 wrote: »
    IV an 09 UK import with 1.33 engine and 6 speed gearbox. 1gen model , no rattles with my dash, also has stop/start system to save even more fuel.
    Had to get new stop/start battery the other day ( hard to find one ) and main dealer beat my best price i found online Inc delivery for it!! Very surprised. Guy said we did not get stop/start auris here in Ireland??? That true?

The start/stop Auris was sold here in facelift version.
    From reading around, the mk1 facelifted Auris altough not the worlds most exiciting car seems to have held up well. It's seems to get good reports on reliability with no surprises. Seems simple enough to maintain. The 1.33 dual vvti engine appears to also be robust and reliable. simple setup, with a good mix economy, low tax and resonable to tax.

Anything to look out on a second hand one?

The only issue I have come across on them (and that includes the facelift model) is that the rear calipers become rattly and can seize. A work colleague of mine had to have a rear caliper replaced (done under warranty by Toyota) on her facelift 2010 Irish car. The calipers on my wifes car are a little rattly but work fine,you only notice it driving slowly on rough ground. Other than that I don't think there are any other issues to be aware of.
    bazz26 wrote: »

Anyone any realistic idea what a 09 Auris 1.33 litre TR (UK spec a bit higher than the Luna here) with about 60k km, in very good condition would be fetching privately these days? 1 UK and 1 Irish owner.

A neighbour of mine has an 09 black TR spec car, 64kms on it (maybe its 64k miles not sure) Very nice original car. He's looking for €7500 for it but its been for sale for the last 3 months and no takers.

We imported my wifes 2010 Auris TR from the north in October 2015 with only 50k miles on it for €7200 inc VRT so I think my neighbours price is a tad optimistic for an 09 car 18 months later. I'd say €6500 might be a more realistic price for an 09 car.

Are those 1.33 models yourself and the neighbour have?

I have the sticking issue with the calioers on my golf too. I blame the sea air. No such problem with my 99 avensis. They should ditch rear disc brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Rear brakes don't really do much anyway.

Just reading about the Auris HSD. Is this correct?

"Servicing.....use a Toyota dealer, as they need to be put into service mode to be worked on, and it will be under warranty too"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are you buying a hybrid?

Advertisement