Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2011 Toyota Auris

Options
  • 17-01-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Does anyone here have experience of the 2011 Auris petrol 1.33 engine.

I'm not familiar with this engine. Hope to take one for a test drive soon. Don't do enough mileage for a diesel.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a great engine and a sweet gearbox

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's a great engine and a sweet gearbox

Sounds promising Colm.

Would it be nippy enough and would she be thirsty ?

I had the urban cruiser which is roughly the same size as the auris with the same drivetrain, found it quite good on fuel. It's not fast, but it's faster than a lot of 1.4 cars. It has a 6 speed gearbox too which helps.

Colm, thanks for the info., much appreciated.

I am interested now to take it for a spin.

If the paperwork is in order I might go for it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the civic 1.4 Ivtec too. Not fast either, but very well built and nicer interior than the auris.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My wife has a 2010 Auris with the 1.3 engine. Perfectly capable little engine, slick 6 spd gearbox and very nice to drive even on longer journeys.
    The car is actually quite nippy but you need to rev it on if you need higher speeds but there is plenty of passing power if you drop a gear or two when needed.

My wife's had hers for 14 months and it's been faultless. It does 44/45mpg on longer runs and anywhere from 38-42 on shorter runs. My wife travels 8km to and from work each day so short journeys where engine barely gets up to temperature by the time she gets to work/home and the car is currently averaging 41mpg (I haven't reset the fuel computer so that's the average over the last 3 or 4 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The father has a 2009 with that engine and it hasn't needed anything other than regular servicing and a Toyota recall for the window regulator last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Also looking at a mk1 auris 1.33 dual vvti. From all accounts a very nice engine and a reliable car. I prefer the look of the pre facelift (09) model. Is there anything that would sway you towards the facelifted model?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Also looking at a mk1 auris 1.33 dual vvti. From all accounts a very nice engine and a reliable car. I prefer the look of the pre facelift (09) model. Is there anything that would sway you towards the facelifted model?

The interior is much better on a the newer one, the engine is more powerful and quieter, the gearbox is nicer to use and has one extra gear, tax is cheaper. It's lighter on fuel.

The original auris wasn't a nice car IMO. They addressed the dreadful quality interior on the facelift, and made a decent car out of it on the reskinned current model.

• Advertisement

The main issues with the interior were rattles. They all rattled from factory, particularly the twin glove boxes and th silvery trim beside the radio. They actually issued a big box of self adhesive foam and tape to each dealer with instructions to jut lash a load of this stuff wherever there's rattles.
    The drinks holders on the centre cubby box would break within weeks, as would the pop-out cup holders under the side vents. If you wallop off them when they're open the mechanisms can just snap. Then there's the awful dildo handbrake which thankfully they changed on the facelift.

The interior is much better on a the newer one, the engine is more powerful and quieter, the gearbox is nicer to use and has one extra gear, tax is cheaper. It's lighter on fuel.

The original auris wasn't a nice car IMO. They addressed the dreadful quality interior on the facelift, and made a decent car out of it on the reskinned current model.

Colm, when you talk about the "newer one" from what year are you talking ? Would a 2011 car be a "new" or an "original" model.

By newer I mean the facelift. It's still not perfect but they addressed a lot of what was wrong. As an all round car it's very good IMO. Good space, high driving position, all the safety stuff you'd need etc.

Cheers guys. Didn't realise the facelift was such a major improvement. I think it happened in 2010,right?

So am I right in saying the 1.33 engine in the uk 09 pre feclift model had less power and a 5 speed box?

Any known issues with the 1.33 engine?

Any known mechanical issues with the mk1 auris in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭nu_90

IV an 09 UK import with 1.33 engine and 6 speed gearbox. 1gen model , no rattles with my dash, also has stop/start system to save even more fuel.
    Had to get new stop/start battery the other day ( hard to find one ) and main dealer beat my best price i found online Inc delivery for it!! Very surprised. Guy said we did not get stop/start auris here in Ireland??? That true?

There is an auris owners club online as well if u need an spcific information on 1.33 engine

By newer I mean the facelift. It's still not perfect but they addressed a lot of what was wrong. As an all round car it's very good IMO. Good space, high driving position, all the safety stuff you'd need etc.

Thanks again. One last question, how would the 1.33 engine compare to the 1.4 petrol Hyundai i30 ? Saw a 2013 petrol i30 online and thought it looked stylish

nu_90 wrote: »
    IV an 09 UK import with 1.33 engine and 6 speed gearbox. 1gen model , no rattles with my dash, also has stop/start system to save even more fuel.
    Had to get new stop/start battery the other day ( hard to find one ) and main dealer beat my best price i found online Inc delivery for it!! Very surprised. Guy said we did not get stop/start auris here in Ireland??? That true?

There is an auris owners club online as well if u need an spcific information on 1.33 engine

How much was it to replace the stop start battery?

Cheers guys. Didn't realise the facelift was such a major improvement. I think it happened in 2010,right?

So am I right in saying the 1.33 engine in the uk 09 pre feclift model had less power and a 5 speed box?

Any known issues with the 1.33 engine?

Any known mechanical issues with the mk1 auris in general?

No UK imported 2009 onwards pre facelifted models had the 1.33 litre engine and 6 speed gearbox as the facelifted model. The reason the UK got that engine from 2009 was that Toyota Ireland had a **** load of old 1.4 litre petrol models to sell after the tax system changed in July 2008.

The only thing my father's one had was a recall for the driver's window switch, other than that just regular servicing and tyres.

• Advertisement

The current shape came out in late 2012. The same engines were carried over. They introduced a 1.2 litre petrol turbo with around 120bhp in 2015 along side the 1.33 litre engine but it costs about 2.5k more than the 1.33 litre so not too many takers of it here. 1.33 litre is less complex.

Patww79 wrote: »

Came out in late 2012. Irish spec new shape auris are very dear. There's good value in them in the uk n comparison. I priced a few petrol 1.6s last week in NI and you'd get a 2013 for under €12k incl vrt.

It's money you would never get back at resale time. Better spent on a higher trim level imo.

Or a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The 1.33 engine if it's irish cars we are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bazz26 wrote: »
    The current shape came out in late 2012. The same engines were carried over. They introduced a 1.2 litre petrol turbo with around 120bhp in 2015 along side the 1.33 litre engine but it costs about 2.5k more than the 1.33 litre so not too many takers of it here. 1.33 litre is less complex.

The 1.2t has fully independent rear suspension and a better interior, not that it would matter to the majority of buyers in this country.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The 1.2t has fully independent rear suspension and a better interior, not that it would matter to the majority of buyers in this country.

Hybrid gets it too, surprisingly.

Advertisement