Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3~4K budget for bike

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Fian wrote: »
    As far as I know you have a choice between Matt black and Blue (the correct choice)

And shiny black and red (the incorrect choice).

I don't think they will do any other paint job on it, i suppose you could always get it painted elsewhere.

Yeah, in fairness they probably keep their costs down by sticking to a small range of colours, as per canyon.
    And as an Everton supporter, I agree that Blue is ALWAYS the correct choice over red :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Out of interest guys can many disc brake road bikes be easily used for CX or off road. In other words is the frame wide enough to allow tyres up to 35mm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Out of interest guys can many disc brake road bikes be easily used for CX or off road. In other words is the frame wide enough to allow tyres up to 35mm ?

It depends on the tyre clearance really, and also you'd want to think about things like how many spokes you have in your wheels and the type of material used in the frame. I'd say if you want a kind of do it all bike that can do the job on any surface, you'd be better off getting a cyclocross bike and then getting a good pair of road wheels to go with it rather than trying to get a road bike to work off-road (if that makes sense...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would you really want to use a frame/bike not designed for CX/off-road use just because it has decent brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

terrydel wrote: »
    Where is your shop in Wicklow?

We were running the business from home so don't have a shop.
    We've stopped the bike hire end of things but still do some sales when required.
    I can get anything you see on the Sensa website. The bikes are built to order and take two to three weeks to arrive from order date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Would you really want to use a frame/bike not designed for CX/off-road use just because it has decent brakes?

If I was in the market for a bike with disc brakes the answer would be an emphatic yes. Bike marketing wants us to believe you need different bikes for different disciplines. They're "bike pushers", they encourage the N+1 mentality and don't really want to see standardisation. And anybody with a high N count or loads of cash (and plenty of spare space to put them) will usually tend to try and reinforce this belief.

I believe anyway that current road bikes are more than strong enough structure wise for the type of off road the average Joe would be doing. And certainly from my very meagre CX experience I've seen nothing that would challenge a road bike structurally. Have a look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Early stuff is (impressive) low speed bike control but there are a few jumps towards the end too.

I hear so much talk of more upright bikes being more comfortable and people new to cycling being steered away from road bikes because they're too "racy". And this never made sense to me. My own 7kg bike (Rose Xeon CW) would be marketed as agressive but I've always been able to ride it for hours and its dead comfortable and I'm scratching my head to try and figure out whats more comfortable than dead comfortable. What kills me though is that if the chainstays and seatstays were just a little wider I could fit wider tyre and would have been more than happy to try it out in a few CX races.

So why why why doesn't some manufacturer make these minor mods and produce an all round performance bike at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

Lumen wrote: »
    Mechanical discs are awful on a road bike in my experience, even more so with internal cabling.

The 9.0 Di2 seems to be the cheapest one they have with hydraulics @ €3599. And it has Di2. :)

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-9-0-di2.html

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-9-0-aero.html

Was actually this one I was eyeballing - what does hydraulic with mechanical compatible mean

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2017/road/endurance/sensium-600-disc

Was in a few bike stores yesterday and one in particular were offering this in the 2016 model with hydraulic disk brakes , d12 ultegra for €2,900. Great kit for the money.

Also tested the synapse really nice perfect fit for me, stiff frame. And the whacky looking ultegra colours looks really cool as the light darkens.

The rose bike options are very tempting too

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mookie2007 wrote: »
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-9-0-aero.html

Was actually this one I was eyeballing - what does hydraulic with mechanical compatible mean

HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES COMPATIBLE WITH MECHANICAL SHIFTING

Canyon's capitalisation, not mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Big Mig wrote: »
    We were running the business from home so don't have a shop.
    We've stopped the bike hire end of things but still do some sales when required.
    I can get anything you see on the Sensa website. The bikes are built to order and take two to three weeks to arrive from order date.

Thanks for the reply mate, and best of luck with your business.
    If you dont mind me asking, why did you stop the hire side of things? Feel free to pm if you want, its something I have an interest in and am looking to get some info on.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

terrydel wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply mate, and best of luck with your business.
    If you dont mind me asking, why did you stop the hire side of things? Feel free to pm if you want, its something I have an interest in and am looking to get some info on.
    Cheers.

It started off as a small holiday business taking people on day and weekend trips in the Wicklow mountains but I no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get enough people to come here to make it worthwhile.
    Stopped that a couple of years ago and just hired out the bikes for triathlons and the odd sportive while trying to sell them off at the same time. I thought I could tap into the sportive market but most people who want to do some serious cycling will bring their own so don't look into hiring one.
    I'll pm you my number if you want to have a chat about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

Have to mention the Specialized Roubaix https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/road/performance/roubaix-pro-udi2/128570 . It has a shock absorber built into the headset. I have a Rose Xenon Di 2 with hydraulic discs and I love it.  I would never go away from disc brakes again.  But I like the idea of the absorber to cut out the road buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Disc brakes on a €3k - €4k bike ........jeez talk about pig on lipstick :P

On a more serious note, do check out disc brakes on descending off long climbs, tried them and hated them and I had been an advocate.

Discs will add weight as the front fork has to be beefed up to take the extra stress (the mounting point is further from the bearing surface). I found them very unresponsive on the bendy bits.

Advertisement