Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral cat colony in hotel

Options
  • 16-01-2017 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

What is TNR? (never mind - I googled it!)

You probably should have taken it up with the manager there and then, leaving it to email allows them to fob you off more easily, unless you get the SPCA or food safety types involved.

I honestly can't see a commercial operation like a hotel looking after wild cats, providing food and water. A more likely outcome will be euthanising them I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If they do indicate that they are going to euthanise you could make local cat rescue's and TNR groups aware and they would help put the pressure on the hotel to TNR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Just googled Feralcatsireland.org

They have TNR volunteer contact details on their page for a lot of areas throughout the country but none for Wexford. There is a volunteer listed for South County Wicklow, perhaps she might advise you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

....... wrote: »

Contact animal charities the Vets. This is their thing. Helping the unfortunate. Good on you spotting this and caring.:)

• Advertisement

Over the weekend I stayed in a well known hotel in Ireland and I was really saddened and upset by what I found in the underground carpark.
    I think one cat died overnight near my car as it was in very bad shape from what I could see at midnight and not moving at 7am.
    it is really bad that animals are dying and left dead around the carpark - surely this is a health and safety issue for the hotel also?
    No health and safety issue. You thinking a cat might have died doesn't make it so. I'd be very surprised if the hotel entertained you at all, I'd forget about it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Was the hotel in donegal. Yes or no will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ok for anyone else. TNR is trap, neuter, return.

OP I think you should email the hotel. They can kop an attitude that it's not their problem. Although I'd be surprised they are that feckless. All you are asking for is a bit of decency and consideration for fairly helpless creatures in their car park building.

It wouldn't take much for the hotel to talk to the local ISPCA or shelter and sort it out.

Well youd be wrong.
    Was the hotel in donegal. Yes or no will do.

No - in Wexford.
    Ok for anyone else. TNR is trap, neuter, return.

OP I think you should email the hotel. They can kop an attitude that it's not their problem. Although I'd be surprised they are that feckless. All you are asking for is a bit of decency and consideration for fairly helpless creatures in their car park building.

It wouldn't take much for the hotel to talk to the local ISPCA or shelter and sort it out.

Ive emailed the hotel and intend to follow up on it today.

Also thank you to those who have private messaged me, I will be contacting the suggestions made today.[/quote]
    OK. I thought it might be a dump we stayed in where the security guys thought it was funny to kick kittens over a wall. One kept coming back and we put it in our hotel room. It lived with us for many years. When we reported the security men to the hotel owner. He laughed in our faces. Horrible little man.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

hm.If the cats are in a deplorable condition obviously the hotes is not looking after them.they do require basic care....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭listermint

hm.If the cats are in a deplorable condition obviously the hotes is not looking after them.they do require basic care....

Why in the jaysus would the hotel look after stray cats......

listermint wrote: »

Because it's the humane thing to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think is the local SPCA has said the hotel are paying for TNR and feeding and watering the cats then they're doing more than enough. What else would you expect them to be doing. They after all didn't go out and buy a load of cats.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Regardless of been humane, are the hotel suppose to hire a new staff member to look after these cats they possibly wandered onto their property? Or is it the current staff now have to add extra duties to their already busy days with no extra pay etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Because it is the most sensible and humane solution for everyone concerned.

If the cats have set up home in the car park then if they are exterminated there is a cat friendly hole left in the environment where more cats will move in.

If they do nothing, including not feeding them, the will continue to multiply and the situation will reach nasty proportions of cats fighting for resources, upsetting customers, making a lot of noise and generally making their presence known.

If they TNR and feed them then they have a stable non reproducing population who keep other cats out. They will also keep the local rat/mouse population right down so the hotel wont have to worry about vermin.

Those are the 3 options available and the 3rd makes most sense for the hotel and the cats and the customers.

If all the cats are hypothetically exterminated your assertion is more cats will automatically move in......

Sorry I'm not buying it

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im just asking, if I was working in the hotel I would hardly expect my duties to involve looking after the stray cats that wonder into the grounds so by that I mean the hotel are doing the best the can with the situation. ISPCA do need to pay a visit and give them some advice on the situation tho.

Well, two I saw looked ok, another one looked in bad shape, and another one I saw was dying and possibly dead the next day.

So 50:50 - but I wouldnt expect any feral colony to look like supermodel cats.[/quote]
    I care for 10 ferals on my farm..and non of them are diseased or bad looking at all.Basic care consists of worming, vaccinating ,trapping for treatment(which should be done by whichever spca is involved).Grateful to the hotel people for letting them stay and feeding them.
    re this:
    If all the cats are hypothetically exterminated your assertion is more cats will automatically move in......  

Sorry I'm not buying it
    I'd say read up on your information - this is a long established fact.Cats are territorial.if one territory is empty, other cats will move in.

listermint wrote: »

Keeps mice population down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

If I was working in the hotel I definitely prefer a 10 mins stroll around the grounds to feed a few cats than cleaning toilets or any of the other less than pleasant jobs that is required of people working in the service industry.

I'm sure a small bit of effort could cat proof the car park and stop them getting in.

I would certainly not want feral cats living in or near my premises and as a guest I would not like to see cats hanging around either potentially walking on my car and damaging the paint work.

• Advertisement

Advertisement