Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying / Adopting medium sized dog

Options
2»

Comments

My mam has a whippet/lurcher and we were just saying that they're so laid back and easy, if she had 20 of them they'd still be far less bother combined, than my little terrier! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm set on having many rescue lurchers when I can no longer keep up with my beloved herding breeds. Seriously underrated dogs. so affectionate and gentle in nature. A friend of mine has one who grabs her teddy and trots over to you for cuddles when you come into her home. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My mam has a whippet/lurcher and we were just saying that they're so laid back and easy, if she had 20 of them they'd still be far less bother combined, than my little terrier! :D

Ah terriers........ I took my 7 year old Border out to do a bit of agility yesterday think she will be calmer then she used to be. Big mistake she was like a lunatic & I realised I need to get fit!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

VonVix wrote: »
    A friend of mine has one who grabs her teddy and trots over to you for cuddles when you come into her home. :o

In defence of the big restricted breeds, that is exactly what my huge German Shepherd does too :o
    Terrifying. Truly terrifying :D

DBB wrote: »
    In defence of the big restricted breeds, that is exactly what my huge German Shepherd does too :o

Mine likes to gently hold my arm or my sleeve and lead me to where he wants to go, most don't see that as cute if they aren't very used to large dogs, especially our terrifying ones. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »

Mine do it too! Bailey always brings a football but Lucy is more selective lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I know, the perception of the "aggressive" dog is a bit out of whack. It's even true with dogs that are aggressive by nature of their breed. Like people who didn't know him were petrified of the staffie my flatmate had years back. They look tough, and are supposedly aggressive by nature, but this couldn't be more inaccurate. The fella was so gentle, so it's completely down to the owner not the dog.

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I know, the perception of the "aggressive" dog is a bit out of whack. It's even true with dogs that are aggressive by nature of their breed. Like people who didn't know him were petrified of the staffie my flatmate had years back. They look tough, and are supposedly aggressive by nature, but this couldn't be more inaccurate. The fella was so gentle, so it's completely down to the owner not the dog.

It's good to keep in mind that poor breeding standards can also have a huge impact on behaviour. I have found many dogs with behavioural issues were in fact bought from unscrupulous breeders, a significant amount of them being "designer" crossbreeds, where there is little regard for the temperament of the dogs they are breeding together. You would be amazed at what can be genetic.

Worth being aware of if you plan on going down the buying a puppy route, what you see in the mother (and father in some cases) can be a big indicator of what you will get in a puppy in terms of temperament with people/strangers. My GSD is almost a carbon copy of his mother when I met her. :o

VonVix wrote: »
    Mine likes to gently hold my arm or my sleeve and lead me to where he wants to go, most don't see that as cute if they aren't very used to large dogs, especially our terrifying ones. :p

One of our german shepherds when we were kids would break up a fight amongst us by taking one of us by the sleeve and walking us around in circles until we calmed down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

One of our german shepherds when we were kids would break up a fight amongst us by taking one of us by the sleeve and walking us around in circles until we calmed down. :D

That is super cute. Our lab tends to try get between myself and OH if we are messing. I think he thinks we are fighting and wants to intervene!

OP - in short dogs are awesome!!! But the wrong dog in the dog house is a nightmare. I definitely think an adult dog is the way forward, through a rescue that have an indication of its temperament.

• Advertisement
Advertisement