Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure the 7 Jelly Boy fans around the world are ecstatic though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder if it is the rights issues that makes it harder to get some of the more important SNES games onto the service?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably; that or the cost of acquiring the licenses is simply too high to be worth the effort. Must be some poker players in Nintendo to present that update, expecting ... praise? Thanks? The Youtube video's ratio seems about right ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was saying similar elsewhere last night about scraping the bottom of the barrel while noting the thumbs up, versus thumbs down ratio and expecting it to widen. The service is long past due the addition of other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think I remember hearing about Jelly Boy. Don't know what I heard but I was aware of its existence

• Advertisement

The Doctor Who VR game, The Edge of Time, is making its ways to Switch on Sept 30; will be interesting to see how a VR game translates to a non-VR medium - especially a handheld like the Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I seem to remember Claymates being good when I played it first time round in my mate's gaf years ago. Maybe it was the first platform I played where you could morph into characters with different abilities or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw a rumour this morning that Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons to be re-released on the switch following the Links Awakening graphic upgrades.

I'd bite at both of them on a single cart!

This taking inspiration from Into the Breach; with some very tasty looking pixel art. The lead character has a touch of the Hollow Knight about it. Is releasing July 31:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Pokémon Unite is a bit of fun it seems. Went in blind, wasn't expecting a League of Legends clone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Indeed, if they build them using the same engine as Links Awakening they would be fantastic, more so if they include them on the one cart.

I have the originals on the GBC but never really played them, it was more a desire to have a relatively complete LoZ collection, no CDi games need apply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Links awakening was an awakening for me. Awkward puzzles, bad performance and high price. They should have included a few of the older 2D Zelda games remastered under that price tag. Meanwhile you can get an incredible reimagining for 20 quid in A Link Between Worlds. They have become super greedy after the success of Switch.

Shouldn't we be seeing Switch Selects after 4 years? I've a couple of games I'd like to get ... But can't justify 50 quid for them.

Also, I'm wondering what going to happen with Mario Galaxy 2 ... What have they up their sleeves for that game ...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Only problem with that argument is that A Link Between Worlds is not a reimagining, rather it's a sequel to A Link to the Past.

Yup, Link Between Worlds is a whole new game.

And Links Awakening?

And your description of Links Awakening...

"Awkward puzzles, bad performance and high price."

Whatever about the price of it, the game did not exhibit bad performance.

And, as for the awkward puzzles, these were the puzzles from, well, Links Awakening and I would imagine a lot more people would have gotten pissed off if Nintendo had marched in there and changed the dungeons and puzzles therein.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think the only place I noticed a dip in performance was the swamp.

Been playing a demo (always forget these exist!) of Crying Suns.

It's kinda like FTL, with a bit more fleet management, and similar random events. The ground missions are nicely done, minimalist but evocative. While space battles take place on a hex grid that's real time - but you can pause.

Definitely tempted to purchase the full version, IIRC it's 20 quid ATM. But anyone curious should take the demo for a spin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Both Pokémon Unite and Sky:Children of the Light have completely sucked me in.

Sky I’ve waited for far too long to come to the Apple TV which was the original plan, couldn’t get over the terrible controls on iOS so delighted it came to a console, perfect fit for the switch.

Pokemon Unite is….. crack in game form. It’s very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Baldo finally has a release date - a month from today. It's Zelda crossed with a Studio Ghibli cartoon and looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

That really does look lovely, hopefully it performs okay on Switch.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Been waiting for this for sooooooo long. Very excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Two good games coming out this week (to put on your wishlist at least) are Trigger Witch and Unbound: Worlds Apart.

Trigger Witch looks like Link to the Past and Enter the Gungeon had a baby. Reviews started popping up this morning and it looks like a cracker. Huge overworld, lots of secrets, dungeons, drop in couch co-op and a nice SNESy art style and great music.

Unbound: Worlds Apart is a puzzle platformer with a gorgeous art style and great music. I'll wait for reviews first, but it looks fantastic. There are gameplay videos on youtube showing the first 20 minutes or so if you want a look. Here is a kickstarter trailer from a few years ago.

There's also this gameplay video for a better idea of the moment to moment gameplay. It looks gorgeous, and the gameplay pleasingly boilerplate; though - and maybe this is me -, some of the ambient sound got on my nerves to hear. Such as the run cycle, it had a very repetitive loop.

It took a while, but it's finally happening. I think I'll have to buy that. The link on Shopto doesn't work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I might buy that alongside a Switch Pro when it comes out. I'd say it would be a great one to show off the higher fidelity screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Two of my favourite games. Played first on switch and second on xbox one x which I got to play the sequel, since they said it wasn't possible on switch. Then, bam, 60 FPS will of the wisps on switch. Have since traded up to series x. Really looking forward to seeing what these guys produce next. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to see something.

Think it was 15 quid recently on switch. As they say, do not sleep on these games, especially the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I played pokemon unite for a few hours last week and it was fun for awhile. Combat is decent and it'll always be fun running around with your favourite pokemon battling other people.

But it does get repetitive and after a few hours it soon became obvious that it's a fairly shallow game, especially when compared to other mobas. In the end, the only reason I found myself wanting to play it was to log in to get the bonuses and currency from playing.

And that's when I stopped, if a game starts to feel like a chore I quit. The game's microtransactions and economy are quite predatory and it's pretty horrible in a game were a large percentage of the playerbase will be children

This is even before I realised that the microtransactions aren't just for cosmetic items, it's a pay to win game. You can buy items and upgrade them with real world money that affect your pokemon's abilities in game.

Plus, you're not even playing against humans all the time, you can be playing against ai bots sometimes, which is never fun in a competitive multiplayer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Can’t disagree. It’s possible to get to competive power fairly rapidly free to play. The major issue I have is that it’s purposely disingenuous. So the likelyhood of that happening is very low.

It’s purposely designed to encourage incorrect leveling by omitting important information. That’s inexcusable.

They don’t list if moves are sp.atk or atk. The items buff one or the other (for the most part), they have to be upgraded to be useful and give a massive advantage but this is also not explained outright. You need to level them up at least a level to see. Then the cost of leveling them gets increasingly massive, so you can very easily level into the ‘wrong’ item as the information is withheld. Having multiple items on lv 10 or so completely drains the resources you actually need to have invested solely into 3-4 items.

It’s 100% a nasty model and shouldn’t have passed Nintendo, it is and will do a lot of harm to what could have been a massive title for them.

…..

They could have avoided a LOT of the issues if they had:

• Stated and explained which characters/moves did which type of damage.
    • Stated the actual stats of Pokémon not a star system that is useless.
    • Didnt allow item upgrade token purchases for at least season 1. (The amount of tickets received at the end of the season will go a long way to leveling up an item)
    • Implemented a recycling system where you could break down an item for a % of the investment made.

Or even better:

• Don’t have any item that gives a gameplay advantage available for purchase for real money.

The bot matches are an annoyance and shouldn’t be a thing in ranked (they are). I think it’s 4+ losses in a row and it’s possible for a bot match. They are very obvious and not very fun. You literally steamroll them and they quit at 5mins

BUT

Sky: Children of the light, is a lovely little game. Even with its seasons and cosmetic purchases etc. Very chill

Ori: The Collection - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qXs62Wo96yo

Speaking of Pokemon Unite, Jim Sterling has weighed in on it. He's not a fan. WARNING: If you know Jim, you know he swears a lot. I lost count of the F bombs.

Pokémon Unite: Disgusting But Inevitable (The Jimquisition)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ws0DlMvGEbA&pp=sAQA

• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch Has Shipped 89.04 Million Units; Sales to Customers Estimated at 85 Million Units

https://twinfinite.net/2021/08/nintendo-switch-sales-june-2021/

Advertisement