Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

dar100 wrote: »
    No evidence to support any of this

Hang on I thought structural changes in the brain were fairly well correlated with PTSD and chronic stress. The hypothesis was certainly put forward and I thought there was evidence to back it up. Has this been rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Link?

Actually, I'd rather not see that if that's ok with you guys. 25kg breasts don't really cut it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

mzungu wrote: »
    The woolly mammoth was still knocking about when the pyramids were being built and for a sort time thereafter.

And at that stage they were restricted to a single, miserable island off the coast of Russia in the Arctic Ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Shannon757 wrote: »
    The word "SWIMS" upside down is still "SWIMS"

No it's not - its 5MIW5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Cleopatra lived closer to our time than to the building of the Great Pyramid.

The Late Late Show is the world's longest running talk show.

Not sure if it can be considered fact, more of a rumor but, after WWI Lawrence of Arabia allegedly paid a fellow soldier to give him beatings on several occasions because he enjoyed pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Actually, I'd rather not see that if that's ok with you guys. 25kg breasts don't really cut it for me.

They don't cut they crush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The original irish word for car was gluaistean so i looked this up. Don't think you are correct:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car#Etymology

I wish the term "horseless carraige" had stuck tbh
    Gluaistean is a modern word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Pics or gtfo! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Gluaistean is a modern word.

"Carr" is more widely used in connemara than "Gluaisteán". In fact, I don't think I've ever used the word "Gluaisteán" out loud since primary school reading exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

BMW stands for Bavarian Motor Works and their logo is a propeller (the white) in front of the sky (the blue) as they originally made airplanes.

The words silent and listen use the same letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

The swimming pools on the sunken ship Titanic are all still full of water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Parchment wrote: »
    BMW stands for Bavarian Motor Works and their logo is a propeller (the white) in front of the sky (the blue) as they originally made airplanes.

Nope . . . as it turns out its just the blue and white colours of Bavaria. That "spin" on the story was added later . . .

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/bmw-roundel-not-born-from-planes/?_r=0

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact it's all dark

It's got an Albedo of 0.1362 (±2–3%)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There is no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact it's all dark

It's got an Albedo of 0.1362 (±2–3%)

U6cwCtz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

Cartouche wrote: »
    In the 1730s, a group of printing apprentices massacred “every cat they could find” on Paris’ Rue Saint-Séverin. The cats were subsequently tried (in a mock trial, BUT STILL), found guilty of witchcraft, and hanged.
    The popular belief is that the cats were treated better by the masters than the apprentices were. This was an early precursor to the French Revolution

In a similar vein during the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th century, a shipwrecked monkey was hanged by the people of Hartlepool, believing him to be a French spy! To this day, people from Hartlepool are affectionately known as 'monkey hangers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The pacific end of the Panama Canal is further east than the Atlantic end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Lord Byron kept a pet bear in his college dorm room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Your body sees alcohol as a poison, or at least as something it doesn't actually want inside it. To fight back, and sober you up, humans produce an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase.

That enzyme gets its shot at your alcohol when it attempts to pass through the stomach lining, and when it reaches your liver, primarily. On contact, it snatches a hydrogen atom off the ethanol molecules in your drink, rendering it into non-intoxicating acetaldehyde. Humans can then use aldehyde dehydrogenase as a kind of clean-up crew, breaking down the acetaldehyde that's sometimes considered a cause of hangovers, along with dehydration.

Why doesn't 'the human body' do this ninja shlt with actual poisons accidentally ingested for example?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why doesn't 'the human body' do this ninja shlt with actual poisons accidentally ingested for example?
    Because we adapted to alcohol over a very long period of time. Some populations today never have, so some Asian populations find it very hard to metabolise alcohol and it can cause a bad reaction in such people. One theory holds that in Europe brewing was the popular method of sterilising drinking water, whereas in Asia teas were, hence they didn't need the alcohol genes nearly as much. If we ingested other poisons in trace amounts over a similar period of time we would likely adapt to them. IIRC we have? There are some substances in grains IIRc that would be poisonous.

On sterilising water… in Rome and onwards the rich drank from silver vessels as silver is a natural antiseptic and antibiotic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A pigs orgasm lasts 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Being a president can nominate one day a week to sleep until noon and be awoken by scrambled egg of duck, juice of orange and a fig leaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

You can't sneeze with your eyes open.
    Or Fart without laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In Apollo 13, nobody said: "Houston, we have a problem."
    In Field of Dreams, nobody said: "If you build it, they will come."
    Darth Vader never said: "Luke, I am your father".
    In no movie has James Cagney ever said: "You dirty rat!."
    The line "Beam me up, Scotty" appears in no Star Trek episode or movie.
    Pacino didn't say: "I'm out of order! You're out of order! This whole courtroom is out of order!"
    Bob Geldof never said “Give us your fucking money
    Bogart never said: "Play it again, Sam."

Not a lot of people know that... to quote Michael Caine.

Well, to misquote Michael Caine, as he never said that either :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

The universe is 13.8 billion years old, give or take. If we compressed that into a year – with the Big Bang happening at 00:00:01 on 1 January – then the dinosaurs would be wiped out on 29 December, and modern humans would appear on the 31st at 11:54pm. Christopher Columbus would sail across the Atlantic one second before midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The universe is 13.8 billion years old, give or take. If we compressed that into a year – with the Big Bang happening at 00:00:01 on 1 January – then the dinosaurs would be wiped out on 29 December, and modern humans would appear on the 31st at 11:54pm. Christopher Columbus would sail across the Atlantic one second before midnight.

I think we all knew that one. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This one... goes up to 102

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

Bob Holness didn't play the saxophone solo on Gerry Raffertys Baker Street.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12120809

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement