Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gozunda wrote: »
    The famous ballad "Weile Weile Waila' about the murder of an infant by its mother includes references to the River "Saile”.
    The Rattlin' Bog song goes on forever if you have biologists and physicists :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

NIMAN wrote: »
    Talking of UK blackcurrants, I heard many moons ago that 95% UK grown blackcurrants go into making Ribena.

I heard it was Irish ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

40 British growers supply the blackcurrant for Ribena.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭KevRossi

On the subject of the Poddle....

This is Firhouse Weir, it is situated to the west of the Tallaght/Spawell exit on the M50.

firhouseweirgall5.jpg

It was built at the very latest in 1244, the idea was to divert water from the Dodder into the Poddle to increase it's flow as back then Dublin had issues with water supply (sound familiar?).

The water ran from the weir through sluice gates along a canal, through the north of Templeogue into Kimmage where it met the Poddle. The clean water was metered by the bucket. So water charges in Dublin are nothing new.

The run of the original sluice gate is still there today, or at least a short bit of it is; the rest was buried under the M50. This sluice is from 1775, (note the top of the weir on the left)

DL4rGuSXcAAR0W_.jpg:large

The water was diverted in Kimmage and split 2 ways to move it to 2 different parts of the city. This was done by placing a large stone obstacle in the river (called the Stone Boat) to split the flow 2:1. A new version of the stone is still there today and a pub on Sundrive is called The Stoneboat to this day.

8678046767_af89224122_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFAIK there is only one blackcurrant farm in Ireland supplying to Ribena.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

NIMAN wrote: »
    Talking of UK blackcurrants, I heard many moons ago that 95% UK grown blackcurrants go into making Ribena.
    I have no research to back up my assertion but the only blackcurrant flavoured drinks that are palatable are Ribena and Miwadi. I love a bargain as much as the next but anytime I've bought knock off blackcurrant cordial, I've ended up pouring it down the sink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I have no research to back up my assertion but the only blackcurrant flavoured drinks that are palatable are Ribena and Miwadi. I love a bargain as much as the next but anytime I've bought knock off blackcurrant cordial, I've ended up pouring it down the sink!

+1....and blackcurrant and apple...horrible

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

505960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Don't be silly

All our blackcurrants go in to jam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

World's first no-kill eggs go on sale in Berlin
    Scientists can now quickly determine a chick’s gender before it hatches, potentially ending the need to cull billions of male chicks worldwide.

This subject came up earlier in the thread.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/22/worlds-first-no-kill-eggs-go-on-sale-in-berlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Flocks of birds are often formed by just one species. But they sometimes form flocks of mixed species as well.

https://www.britishbirdlovers.co.uk/galleries/birds-flocking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

KevRossi wrote: »
    On the subject of the Poddle....
    And further again... :D By all sorts of twists and turns the Poddle reaches the environs of Dublin Castle, which in medieval times was the eastern edge of the city, the channel was diverted around the side of said castle as a defensive moat. To make it more of a defence it was dammed to keep the water deep, and that gentle reader is how Dublin's "Dame Street" got its name. In old English "Dam" was spelled "Dame" and over time the pronunciation matched the old spelling.

Another slightly oddball factoid about the Poddle is that when it meets the Grand Canal at Harold's cross it passes under it. And when it comes near to its end where it joins the Liffey it widened out into a large dark pool, Dubh Linn and where we get the name of the city(Baile Atha Clia me bollex :D)

While Dubliners today usually think of the Liffey* as the lifeblood and riverine soul of the city it was the now mostly buried and mostly forgotten little stream of the Poddle that powered the engine of the city and protected, fed and watered its land and people.

*the Liffey name comes from the floodplain around it which was great for farming. Then Anna Liffey, anglicised from from Abhainn na Liphe(sp). The two Irish rivers known by Roman writers were the Shannon and the Liffey. On the word "Abhainn"; the river Avon in England gets its name from the same word. When Romans asked locals what was the river called, they naturally used the Gaelic word for "river" Abhainn/Afon which became "Avon" over time. So to someone who speaks both languages it's actually called the river river. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wibbs wrote: »
    And further again... :D By all sorts of twists and turns the Poddle reaches the environs of Dublin Castle, which in medieval times was the eastern edge of the city, the channel was diverted around the side of said castle as a defensive moat. To make it more of a defence it was dammed to keep the water deep, and that gentle reader is how Dublin's "Dame Street" got its name. In old English "Dam" was spelled "Dame" and over time the pronunciation matched the old spelling.

You can see said Dam here (best viewed on pc or tablet). Move the slider on the left to the year 1230 onwards to see it.

The width of the Liffey is staggering when you go back far enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

There's a stone outside Pearse Street Garda Station which you'll almost certainly have seen if you've been around the area. It's really bland and easily ignored. But it's a replica of the stone the Vikings erected on the riverbank when they first docked at the Liffey. The original stood there for almost 1000 years before being stolen in the late 18th century; the replica was erected in 1986.

So the stone is placed at what was the edge of the river in the 9th century - but now it's a good 100 yards away.

400px-statue_the-steyne-or-long-stone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

New Home wrote: »
    505960.jpg
    In the Two Towers, when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli discover the pile of dead orcs and they think the hobbits are dead, Aragorn kicks a helmet and shouts in grief.
    Well, it's not grief, it's actually pain because Viggo Mortensen broke his toe kicking the helmet! He was such a professional that he didn't come out of character, and Jackson loved the shot so much, he kept it.
    https://goo.gl/images/UH2ses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

cdeb wrote: »
    There's a stone outside Pearse Street Garda Station which you'll almost certainly have seen if you've been around the area. It's really bland and easily ignored. But it's a replica of the stone the Vikings erected on the riverbank when they first docked at the Liffey. The original stood there for almost 1000 years before being stolen in the late 18th century; the replica was erected in 1986.

So the stone is placed at what was the edge of the river in the 9th century - but now it's a good 100 yards away.

Speaking of which, the pub which is named after it is to close down after 264 years! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Noo wrote: »
    Not mine, but here you go....

"What's the big deal about railroad tracks?

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used?
    Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?
    Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?
    Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
    Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?
    Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And what about the ruts in the roads?
    Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass."
    :D:D
    Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Monument in Connemara.

[IMG][/img]DSC-0009-683x1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

TomSweeney wrote: »
    :D:D
    Brilliant

But is it true?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/horses-pass/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

BaZmO* wrote: »
    World's first no-kill eggs go on sale in Berlin
    Scientists can now quickly determine a chick’s gender before it hatches, potentially ending the need to cull billions of male chicks worldwide.

This subject came up earlier in the thread.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/22/worlds-first-no-kill-eggs-go-on-sale-in-berlin

Given that the male chicks still end up dead, just at an earlier stage of development, they're not exactly "no-kill" eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Agreed. Hopefully, though, they'll be able to do it before the embryo develops beyond a few cells... I seem to remember reading somewhere ages ago that they were trying to do it by testing the eggs' DNA - I don't know if they've got to that stage yet, but if they could do it by testing the shell, it would be a fantastic improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a 12 inch pizza is nearly twice as big as a 9 inch one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pye R(squared).
    And 35% extra crust.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Water John wrote: »
    Pye R(squared).
    And 35% extra crust.

If the radius is z and the height is a then the volume is Pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

py2006 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, the pub which is named after it is to close down after 264 years! :(

Ah sh1te, loved that pub.

a 12 inch pizza is nearly twice as big as a 9 inch one

And a competitor to McDonald's selling 1/3 pounders had to stop because people thought they were smaller that a 1/4 pounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On the subject of the Poddle ...

A very interesting yet almost forgotten river

As unaccustomed as I am to providing so much inspiration on a topic - you're welcome :D

A very interesting video here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Given that the male chicks still end up dead, just at an earlier stage of development, ...

Eggs require a total of 21 days for full incubation to hatching. At 9 days the blastoderm or embryo of the chick remains largely unformed. It would appear that a number of interests are developing this type of technology to aid sex determination down to just a couple of days after an egg is laid

See
    https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/spectroscopy-allows-in-egg-chicken-sexing-/2500274.article

As for the age old question which came first - the answer prosaically would probably be the rooster ;) but this is probably a better answer...

https://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/which-came-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg-evolution-has-the-answer/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

People with two first names become pop stars (Paul Simon, George Michael, Rod Stewart) while people with two surnames become actors (Harrison Ford).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The popular Christmas carol, Silent Night, was first performed on the 24th of December, 1818 in the town of Oberndorf bei Salzberg, Austria.

Or 200 years ago today.:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement