Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

People from the landlocked African country Lesotho are known as Mosotho (singlular) or Basotho (plural) and speak Sesotho & English.

I think this might be a common African trait - people from Bostwana are Motswana (singular) and Batswana (plural) they also speak Tswana and English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Cartouche wrote: »
    , given that nothing can move faster than light,

How do we know that there isn't something faster that just hasn't been observed yet?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

storker wrote: »
    How do we know that there isn't something faster that just hasn't been observed yet?

Surely whatever that was, could only be observed at the speed of light though, and thus anything faster than light is immeasurable?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

storker wrote: »

The limit falls straight out of special relativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Surely whatever that was, could only be observed at the speed of light though, and thus anything faster than light is immeasurable?
    Quantum entanglement is, indirectly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Things seem to get very weird at the Quantum level. I dont think science fully understands it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Things seem to get very weird at the Quantum level. I dont think science fully understands it

One often has to take quite a Leap ;):)

And a physicist would be the first to tell you that they don't understand it.

Still, research into QM has given rise to much of the technological advancements of the past century. I wouldn't be able to tell you this now if it weren't for QM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

..And I don't think most AHer's understand it either ;). Have to say big numbers, physics and the like always interested me, but I could never really understand it. I tip my hat (not that I wear one) to those who can understand it.

Anyway; The Ranfurly Shield or "Log O'Wood" is NZ rugby's oldest, and for many its most prestigious trophy. It's a challenge cup meaning that any team can challenge the holders to it and they then become the holders. The GAA equivalent would be Ballydehob challenging Dublin to Sam Maguire and if they win that one match they get the trophy.

Thing about the trophy is that it was originally intended as a soccer trophy, and it had a depiction of a soccer goals on it. To change it to rugby in 1902 somebody got an engraver and simply extended the goalposts up to make a rugby goals out of it.

The changed engraving is still noticeable, but nobody has bothered to improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Red Kev wrote: »
    ..And I don't think most AHer's understand it either ;). Have to say big numbers, physics and the like always interested me, but I could never really understand it. I tip my hat (not that I wear one) to those who can understand it.

Anyway; The Ranfurly Shield or "Log O'Wood" is NZ rugby's oldest, and for many its most prestigious trophy. It's a challenge cup meaning that any team can challenge the holders to it and they then become the holders. The GAA equivalent would be Ballydehob challenging Dublin to Sam Maguire and if they win that one match they get the trophy.

Thing about the trophy is that it was originally intended as a soccer trophy, and it had a depiction of a soccer goals on it. To change it to rugby in 1902 somebody got an engraver and simply extended the goalposts up to make a rugby goals out of it.

The changed engraving is still noticeable, but nobody has bothered to improve it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/watch-day-of-deliverance-for-mighty-gabriel-rangers-427211.html

• Advertisement

Peregrine wrote: »
    And a physicist would be the first to tell you that they don't understand it.

Still, research into QM has given rise to much of the technological advancements of the past century. I wouldn't be able to tell you this now if it weren't for QM.

Stephen Hawkings has said that if you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candie wrote: »
    Stephen Hawkings has said that if you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics. :)

That was Feynman Candie. Although Hawkings could have said it after.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    That was Feynman Candie. Although Hawkings could have said it after.

I stand corrected. :)

I think it was Feynman but quoted in A Brief History of Time.

Someone said this to me recently:

"I explained it to my student once and he didn't understand it.
    I explained it again and he still didn't understand it.
    I explained it a third time. Even I nearly understood it this time but he still didn't understand it."

I won't attribute that quote for reasons but she's ****ing hilarious. :)

Steve Jobs was adopted. His biological father was Abdulfattah Jandali, a Syrian Muslim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Wilbur and Orville Wright made the first ever aeroplane flight in 1903.
    Sixty-six years later, man was on the moon.
    With a single flight on 17 December 1903, that lasted only 12 seconds, Wilbur and Orville Wright, two bicycle mechanic brothers from Ohio, changed the world forever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The United States, Myanmar and Liberia are the only countries who don't officially use the metric system.
    The US adopted the new UK yard in 1855. The UK made new ones because theirs had burnt.

In 1893 the US redefined the Yard as  3600⁄3937 of a meter, so yes they were using the metric system that far back.

In 1959 the US switched over to the International foot as defined by the UK as 0.9143969 m - that last 9 means 900nm which is near the peak wavelength of infra red our bodies emit.

Anyway depending on which state you are in you can do surveying in meters, survey feet or international feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The US adopted the new UK yard in 1855. The UK made new ones because theirs had burnt.

In 1893 the US redefined the Yard as  3600 ⁄ 3937 of a metre, so yes they were using the metric system that far back.

In 1959 the US switched over to the International foot as defined by the UK as 0.9143969 m - that last 9 means 900nm which is near the peak wavelength of infra red our bodies emit.

Anyway depending on which state you are in you can do surveying in metres, survey feet or international feet.

FYP for clarity and those of us who are not in the US. :)

To convert from metres to feet, multiply by 3.2808.

For a quick and dirty conversion, multiply by 3.3 (easy to do in mental arithmetic - multiply by 3 and then add 10% of the result). This will be slightly higher than the actual figure, but close enough for jazz unless you are surveying.

An acre is 4840 square yards - a bit more than 60 X 80, a bit less than 70 X 70.

For another quick and dirty conversion, a hectare is very close to 2.5 acres (actually slightly less than this).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

And I believe in order to get the part for himself, he was paid a paltry sum for he role as the studio believed it would be a flop if Stallone was the lead, but that was his ultimatum, 'it's me or you don't make my movie'

He was almost living destitute at the time, having to sell his beloved dog as he couldn't feed him anymore, and guess what the first thing he bought (back) was when he finally made some money.

It's quite the feel good story, and upon hearing it, Stallone went way up in my estimation (as when I was young I just assumed he was just another big action movie star).

Also, the sound track was written by his brother Frank. Sly knew the studio wouldn't include it in the movie if they knew who had composed it, so he didn't tell them at first. As well as writing the music, Frank also makes a cameo appearance in all of the Rocky movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

Some brief but illustrative videos about the quantum world.

Electrons (quantum objects) act like waves when in a confined space with differing (i.e. quantised) levels of energy.
    http://toutestquantique.fr/en/quantization/

Atoms act essentially as a box, with an electron field, for electrons (which are acting like waves)
    http://toutestquantique.fr/en/atoms/

Fascintating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Also, the sound track was written by his brother Frank. Sly knew the studio wouldn't include it in the movie if they knew who had composed it, so he didn't tell them at first. As well as writing the music, Frank also makes a cameo appearance in all of the Rocky movies.

Survivor - eye of the tiger.
    Can't listen to it without wanting to go out running:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Bohemian Rhapsody was recorded using a 24 track recording tape but had over 180 overdubs. This meant that a track was recorded, then re-recorded with a number of other tracks to combine them. At one point in the recording process the tapes had been recorded over so many times that the entire song was in danger of being lost coz the tape was literally wearing out.

For comparison, the Beatles in the 60's recorded on 8 track tapes. And nowadays there are infinity tapes because everything is digitally recorded.
    Just makes you appreciate Queen even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭chopperp

what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

chopperp wrote: »
    what ?

What?

*overdub

The first webcam was created in Cambridge University in 1991, so that students could keep an eye on a coffee pot without having to walk down a corridor, or even worse, go to fetch coffee and traumatically find it empty.

Thus proving that necessity truly is the mother of invention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Soundtrack was bill conti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Soundtrack was bill conti

I actually cant hide my embarrassment at this mix up... it was Staying Alive that he wrote the soundtrack for, not Rocky (he did appear in all the Rocky Movies tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVt6r52HSc0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I actually cant hide my embarrassment at this mix up... it was Staying Alive that he wrote the soundtrack for, not Rocky (he did appear in all the Rocky Movies tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVt6r52HSc0
    Fake news strikes again. :pac:

Frank Beard, the drummer in ZZ Top, is the only member of the band that doesn't have a beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Irelands solar noon today is 12:38. In mid summer because of the hour change its about an hour later. It does change over the year because of the equation of time.

This means that getting up at 8am in summer in Dublin 2017 is like getting up at 6:30 in Dublin in the mid 19C with regard to the position of the sun, the real time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Good point, but not everything is observable e.g. gravity. We can't see it, only its effects. Couldn't there be something that doesn't reflect light yet travels faste than it?

(Not claiming any knowledge at all or, or even making a real argument, This is just one of those things I think about when I'm bored...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement