Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Grayson wrote: »
    This means that gold flowing out of London distorts the figures so much that it's actually responsible for about 10% of the UK's exports. And that's about 1/6 of the UK's non EU exports.

That's fascinating, and also evidence (as if it was needed) that statistics can be spun to support practically anything.

One mans booming economy, is another mans panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Cartouche wrote:
    Eg: you don't need to be great at maths to be an architect

In the spirit of the opening post (and to get away from infinite numbers, 'cause I have strong feelings for them and may go down a worm hole) ....
    You dont need any medical experience or qualifications to become a paramedic in this country. The min qualification is a C1 driving license to cover driving the ambulance.
    In fairness, the National Ambulance Service does take 2 years to train you up, but you dont need medical qualifications to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Agnes Sorel who was chief mistress of King Charles VII started a trend of walking around 15th-Century France with one breast hanging out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mysterious great white shark lair discovered in Pacific Ocean

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mysterious-great-white-shark-lair-discovered-in-13234068.php?t=5c043f9ce3&f?

Researchers have discovered a large congregating area in the Pacific ocean where Great White sharks migrate to for a few months each year but as yet don't know why they do so, after tagging some sharks and following the signals.

It's amazing that there are huge areas of the oceans that we know little about in comparison to the leaps we are making in our understanding of distant planets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a little known fact that Adolf Hitler loved animals. He was a veteran Aryan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Someone, please stop Capt'n. He's getting worse!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

New Home wrote: »

200.gif

:D

Back to the matter at hand....

Pretty much all cats with three colours (excluding grey) are female. They are part of a group known as Calico that gets its colours from chromosomes. Their base colour is usually white.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

New Home wrote: »

He's just in the wrong thread, you should see some of his other jokes! :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    He's just in the wrong thread, you should see some of his other jokes! :eek:

I have.... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

mzungu wrote: »

:D

Back to the matter at hand....

Pretty much all cats with three colours (excluding grey) are female. They are part of a group known as Calico that gets its colours from chromosomes. Their base colour is usually white.

And most gingers cats are usually male!

Testicles have their own arteries and veins of different lengths because one testicle hangs lower than the other. In 65% of men, it's the left testicle. It's thought that since each teste has it's own independent temp control system that the differing lengths prevent them from overheating each other which is known to be bad for sperm production and motility.

Women don't have symmetrical breasts, and again it's the left one that's bigger in 65% of women, but the reasons for this are aren't so clear and it's likely just the lack of perfect symmetry that we see from each side of all our bodies to some degree.

Symmetry and attractiveness are strongly correlated but if your boys really do hang low or the twins are more like cousins, don't worry too much unless your face looks like it belongs to two people, because that's the area that counts most.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Everyone has checked themselves just after reading that ^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Candie wrote: »
    Testicles have their own arteries and veins of different lengths because one testicle hangs lower than the other. In 65% of men, it's the left testicle. It's thought that since each teste has it's own independent temp control system that the differing lengths prevent them from overheating each other which is known to be bad for sperm production and motility.

Women don't have symmetrical breasts, and again it's the left one that's bigger in 65% of women, but the reasons for this are aren't so clear and it's likely just the lack of perfect symmetry that we see from each side of all our bodies to some degree.

Symmetry and attractiveness are strongly correlated but if your boys really do hang low or the twins are more like cousins, don't worry too much unless your face looks like it belongs to two people, because that's the area that counts most.

Thanks, it's good to keep abreast of these things.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Everyone has checked themselves just after reading that ^^^

Teste testing!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Who measures these things (and bits)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Wibbs wrote: »
    You Sir, win the internet. :D
    I'll stop now as you could really go on about this, the Sumerians and Akkadians had so much sexual material in their religion. I'll finish off (:pac:) with two facts. That one text to Innana lists "Cock-kissing" as a sign of civilization in a culture. Also one of the songs to Inanna that a Gala sung had a verse for the best places to ejaculate on a woman. Hymn H in the Uruk collection to Inanna, [...] is a damaged tablet portion:

‘"[…] on your navel. My sweet illustrious sister, […] On your back […] My
    illustrious sister, […] hand. In your vagina […] the gardens. Nanaya, […]. In your
    anus […] the fields. My illustrious sister, […] the acres. Come to me, my sister,
    […]"’

I need a cup of tea and a lie-down after reading that.

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a cigarette, Candie? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's thought that since each teste has it's own independent temp control system that the differing lengths prevent them from overheating each other which is known to be bad for sperm production and motility.
    A good example of the cowboy builder evolution can be. Ovaries need no such thermoregulation and do fine, but rather than evolving sperm production that works at higher temps(some mammals have, cetaceans for example, whales and such), no, let's dangle the male gonads outside the body in a very vulnerable position. Clearly not vulnerable enough as not enough males with external clockweights had them bitten off *crosses legs*, but still...

On that note, sorta... the largest cell in the human body* is the human ovum, which runs about one millimetre and is visible to the Mark 1 Human Eyeball(unless you're over forty and require a selfie stick to read the paper), while the smallest is the human sperm. Sperm are better survivors than eggs mind you. A released egg has about a day before it dies off, sperm can last up to five days in a woman's body. All of a woman's eggs are made before birth, so they're finite, whereas a man starts producing sperm from puberty until he joins the choir invisible.

Men produce more and better quality sperm and orgasm more quickly when with someone new. They also produce more if their girlfriend/wife has been away for more than a couple of days. The theory being that she may have had a quickie with someone else so the primary bloke has to up his game. The latter has been suggested in folks with fertility issues. Rather than go at it like rabbits, dial back the nookie and separate for a week and then have a go again. Better quality and more swimmers. Women have more orgasms with lovers than their current longterm partners. It was thought that this increased the likelihood of conception, but that's up in the air as far as proof goes.

The female orgasm itself has been a subject for many a debate. Usually by men. A fair few considered it a pale imitation, a vestigial thing of the male version. Mainly because it's clearly not required for conception and being men they never had one... Scientist Stephen Jay Gould espoused this theory(though TBH I never rated the guy too highly).

Pregnancy and childbirth before the modern age was an extremely hazardous process for women. Depending on a mother's status the chances of death were 2-5% per birth. Given the average woman was around 15 at marriage** she could have at least 8 or 10 pregnancies in her life, with each one shortening the odds of her survival. High born women(more like girls in our point of view) with stuff to leave behind wrote their first last will and testament upon learning they were up the duff. High born women often had more kids and were at greater risk than poorer women, as they usually employed wet nurses and didn't breastfeed themselves. Breastfeeding dampens down fertility, so poorer women were usually better off in that sense. Plus the pressure on richer women was higher as they were required to produce more heirs. And since childhood mortality was scarily high(a quarter of newborns didn't make it to ten), they were baby factories.

Set against all that, it makes good sense that sex, that most dangerous to women of acts, would be strongly desired and pleasurable.

*in diameter. Some neurones like those found in the spine are long. like near a metre IIRC(3 feet in old money).

** take Ancient Rome as an example for which we have fairly good records, girls were married off at around 15, sometimes younger. On average men married in their twenties. But divorced men of greater ages, particularly wealthier men, would tend to keep picking younger women of that kinda age. Cicero, a "renaissance man" of Rome married in his late twenties a woman of 17. When he divorced her a few decades on, he married a "woman" of about 16, when he was nearing 60.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fourier wrote: »
    I'll stop now as you could really go on about this, the Sumerians and Akkadians had so much sexual material in their religion. I'll finish off (:pac:) with two facts. That one text to Innana lists "Cock-kissing" as a sign of civilization in a culture. Also one of the songs to Inanna that a Gala sung had a verse for the best places to ejaculate on a woman. Hymn H in the Uruk collection to Inanna, [...] is a damaged tablet portion:

illustrious sister, […] hand. In your vagina […] the gardens. Nanaya, […]. In your
    anus […] the fields. My illustrious sister, […] the acres. Come to me, my sister,
    […]"’
    :D some of the ancients were well aware of the oul pull out method of contraception. One of the few methods they had that was useful. Various pessaries of the oddest things inserted in the lady's *ahem* were others. Cow dung plugs being one. Though they did have some herbal stuff that kinda worked(one went extinct because it was so popular) and they had herbs that produced terminations, with varying success. Mostly by killing the mother as well. The Greeks tried the rhythm method of sorts, but got it completely wrong as they thought a woman was at her most fertile immediately after her period.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Just remembered another thing about Cicero and his late marriage. One of the guests at the wedding suggested that maybe he wasn't as vital as he once was and this may prove a problem, and his greasy reply was "she may be a girl tonight, but she'll be a woman in the morning". Worse again as she was a legal member of his household, like an adopted daughter. That was common enough in Roman households, as was marrying a slave. The latter more for the common citizen, rather than the rich. It seems he wasn't the swordsman he advertised as his new bride buggered off with a few weeks back to her original family.

The latter has been suggested in folks with fertility issues. Rather than go at it like rabbits, dial back the nookie and separate for a week and then have a go again. Better quality and more swimmers. Women have more orgasms with lovers than their current longterm partners. It was thought that this increased the likelihood of conception, but that's up in the air as far as proof goes.

Interestingly, in the last week or so the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology published a Chinese study that has IVF docs revising the usual abstinence advice.

A study in the Centre for Reproductive Medicine in China involving 500 couples seeking IVF treatment concluded that the clinical and molecular evidence found that sperm quality and the chance of achieving pregnancy is at it's peak after only 1-3 HOURS abstinence.

The sperm produced after recent ejaculation is faster and stronger than later swimmers. It'll be interesting to see what corroborative evidence emerges in the wake of that, if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Fourier wrote: »

[…]"’

Ride me sideways, that was another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

RIGOLO wrote: »
    R
    There are two types of infinity.
    Big infinity - C
    and small infinity - c

what?
    C is the speed of light in vacuum.
    ∞ is infinity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In the space of a mere 29 weeks, Harry Truman went from senator (a role he held since 1932), to Vice President, to President, to dropping the first a-bomb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

what?
    ∞ is infinity.
    C can be lots of things. It's the element carbon, the centigrade temperature scale, one unit of electrical charge (a Coulomb), a measurement of smoothness, one of the four composites of DNA (cytosine). It could be all those and large infinity too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Rescuing this thread again from the bumming Gala discussion ...
    There are two types of infinity.
    Big infinity - C
    and small infinity - c
    or one could argue there are in fact an infinite number of inifinities ...
    what?
    ∞ is infinity.

My usage of (big C and small c) to explain how there are multiple infinities stems from my recollection of my college maths-physiscs text book of more than 30 years ago.
    I expect the author was using the letter C as it all stemmed from Cantors proof of an infinite number of infinities of infinitely different sizes... diagonialisation my dear boy

one could argue '∞' is just a representation of an infinity.. one would need an infinite amount of symbols to represent all possible infinities..

Your comments are all very 'Cantor-esque' as at the time he too was pilloried by the maths community for his radical 'infinite' ideas....:-)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Men produce more and better quality sperm and orgasm more quickly when with someone new. They also produce more if their girlfriend/wife has been away for more than a couple of days.

I remember a quote attributed to the great 90's Italian cycling sprinter (playboy) Mario Cippolini when asked after winning some race, what was the first thing he would do when he got home .
    His reply was.. "The first thing I will do when I get home is make love to my wife, and the second thing I will do is put down my suitcases "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Your comments are all very 'Cantor-esque' as at the time he too was pilloried by the maths community for his radical 'infinite' ideas....:-)

can never resist the auld dig at a poster can you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement