Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Not in this universe.

If our universe was infinitely old and infinitely vast then night sky would not be dark.

Because there isn't time or room for all those decimal places it can only approach 1, admittedly very closely.
    Genuinely it equals 1 exactly. It's a mathematical statement, so not related to physical reality. Although that depends on one's philosophy of Maths, if every mathematical object has to have a physical counterpart as in the philosophy of Finitism, then usually people holding that view would say 0.999... doesn't exist.

Anyway the proof is on Wikipedia. To disagree with it you'd have to have some objection to calculus in general. I'd be happy to discuss that, but in PM as I'd bore everyone else here to tears.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Quoting this because , how many people are there in the EU ? :eek:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45561527
    UK Police face losing access to 40 law enforcement tools under a no-deal Brexit, such as the Schengen Information System, an intelligence database used 539 million times last year by British authorities to look up suspects and vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I just have to post something to move the discussion on from talking a load of guano :-)...

The Parker Solar probe will undergo a number of Gravity Assist planetary flybys around Jupiter during its 7 year trip to get to within 3 million miles of the Sun.
    Whats unusual about these manouveres is that normally NASA has used gravity assist to speed up a rocket , but in this instance they are being used to slow down the probe.

And the irony of that - is that without guano and saltpeter there would be no explosives and no rockets in space ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Internet speed as NASA is a whopping 91 gigabits per second. Thats roughly around 13,000 times faster than the connection you are all using at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mzungu wrote: »
    Internet speed as NASA is a whopping 91 gigabits per second. Thats roughly around 13,000 times faster than the connection you are all using at present.

It's about 35,000 times what I'm using.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is yours pedal-powered, too? :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fourier wrote: »
    Genuinely it equals 1 exactly. It's a mathematical statement, so not related to physical reality.
    Ah. For some reason that reminds me about Fermat's Last Theorem.

Paul Wolfskehl had been rejected in love and had resolved to commit suicide at the stroke of midnight. So to while away the hours he looked up some maths publications and got caught up trying to prove someone was wrong* he failed, but midnight was long gone and life went on.

Another version was that he was going to be a doctor but he had multiple sclerosis symptoms and so would be wheelchair bound but switching to maths meant he could still have a career.

Or was it simply to spite his wife ?

In any event he left a wad of cash** in his will to whoever solved the theorem.

The problem is that cash and fame attracted bad amateur maths like moths to a candle. Lots of head wrecking wrongness.

The solution was to let some of the worst offenders peer review each other.

* some things never change
    duty_calls.png
    https://xkcd.com/386/

**He was German so the Hyperinflation after WWI wiped most of it out.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well a German film by the name of Nosferatu(a largely invented "Romanian" word for Vampire). It ripped off the Dracula story, but in fear of legal repercussions the producers changed a few things. Dracula became Count Orlok and all the other characters were renamed or dropped.
    I only heard about this film a few years ago and finally the old Fast Show skit made sense:

Ipso wrote:
    Were they Szekelys, or was that just added in the book?
    From what I've read they weren't. Many shows and films also have his real name as Vlad Țepeș, but that's a nickname "Vlad the Impaler".

Note: Previous post had an error, last name actually spelled Basarab. Corrected now

In Romanian myth when somebody rises from the dead as a vampire they grow a second heart to replace the one that stopped. Since it is much more powerful than the original heart, one way to test for Vampires is to stake the corpses during the day. Those that emit a geyser of blood are vampires, as the second heart will gush the blood out with enormous force.
    A self defense mechanism of vampires was to spray you with this blood, their corpses firing streams if approached. If the blood touched you, you either went mad or died.

There are many Vampire like creatures in other myths, but my favourites are the Rakshasas of Hinduism and the Strigae common to any group whose language comes from Latin.

The Rakshasas were made by the creator god Brahma to guard the Elixir of immortality. When not protecting the elixir they roam about feeding on human blood. To make them vicious enough to protect the elixir they were given an animal component, often a tiger and have skin covered in blood and eternal life. There was a group of sorcerers in ancient India who often tried to track down Rakshasas, as the myth was that eating the bodies they left behind turned you into one.

The Strigae have various subtle differences between ethnic groups, but overall they are black shadowy owls that come into houses at night to feed on blood. The result of witches casting a spell to preserve themselves after bodily death.

Finally there is the story of the unfortunately named Johannes Cuntius who died from being kicked by a horse in 1582. Unfortunately for Johannes he did rise as a vampire, but without any cool powers. He simply was immortal and stank to a disgusting degree. Annoyed at the smell, the villagers dug up the corpse and performed the usual mutilations to finish him off. Or so say their town records of the time.

mzungu wrote: »
    I used to have a 2,400bps "Speed Modem" back in the day when local calls were 10p for three minutes :mad:

Back then decent people used interlaced GIF files for images.
    So you could cancel viewing an individual image rather than wait for the rest of it. Today's ads were just impossible back then.

255 Tbs has been tested on a 1Km link.
    That's 2,802 times faster than than ye olde NASA statistic above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If you exercise as hard as you possibly can you'll reach your maximum heart rate and your v02 max. Measure your performance .

Now if you do the same thing but artificially make your heart go 20 beats faster per minute with a little motor , you won't get a single.bit better at exercising.

It's cos your heart will be going so fast it won't have time to fill up before it beats so it's no benefit beating faster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »

Just about a step above it. But, it does what I need.

Well a German film by the name of Nosferatu

It was remade in the late 70's by Werner Herzog as Nosferatu the Vampyre(kinda literally, Vampire, the vampire).
    Most remakes are just blatant money grabbing exercises.

This is one of the few remakes of a classic film that's worth watching.

Then again anything by Herzog with Kinski is worth a gander.

Fitzcarraldo. What special effects would you use to depict a opera-crazy Irishman trying to drag a ship over a mountain in the middle of the jungle ?
    Watch Burden of Dreams it's bat-guano insane*.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God. It's the river of insanity movie.

Also worth a look is Shadow of the Vampire a film about the making the 1922 film.

* they convinced the locals to man-haul the ship over a muddy hill , it was extremely dangerous.

New Home wrote: »
    In Australia they used to have pedal powered radio Morse Code typewriters.

Each key on the typewritter was liked to a bar with indentations that mapped to On/Off timings in Morse Code.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I only heard about this film a few years ago and finally the old Fast Show skit made sense:
    Here's the original flic restored with its original soundtrack...

Talking earlier about Kirk Douglas still being around. The chap was 8 years old when this came out. As was my Da. The blokes in my family live long and a couple growing up I encountered were born in the 19th century. I remember stuff like that putting things in perspective for me as far as time and 20th century history and progress went.
    Ah jaysus S, at this stage I have narrowband. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Alaska is the most eastern, western, and northern state in the United States. It is the most eastern due to the Aleutian Islands stretching across the 180º line of Longitude (see below).

nsewusa.gif

If we take Alaska and Hawaii out of it, the most northern point in the US is Angle, Minnesota, most southern point is East Cape, Florida, most eastern point is West Quoddy Head, Maine, and the most western point is Cape Alava, Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The guy who plays Dracula, sorry... Orlok in the 1920's flic? He went by the name of Max Schreck. Schreck in German translates as fear/terror. Freaky looking dude when made up too.

As an aside in the category of useless information:

Max Schreck married an actress called Franziska Ott. After the wedding she went by the name Fanny Schreck.

Just saying :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ssssoooo... a bit like a Venus Flytrap, right? :pac:

With terror fannies and vampire fannies, I might as well finally post this.

In ancient Sumeria there was a priest known as a Gala who served Inanna, the goddess of sex and war. They specifically dedicated their anus to her service. A gala could be male or female, however they always spoke in a special dialect of Sumerian called eme-sal, normally reserved for recording the words of female godesses.

As for their function: Gala rhymes with the Sumerian for vulva but was spelt with two cuneiform signs, the one for arsecrack and the one for penis. So they performed sacred anal sex, most likely with important nobel figures. There were rituals for wiping their crack so as not to offend Inanna by touching her property.

In ancient Sumeria there was a priest known as a Gala who served Inanna, the goddess of sex and war. They specifically dedicated their anus to her service. A gala could be male or female, however they always spoke in a special dialect of Sumerian called eme-sal, normally reserved for recording the words of female godesses.

As for their function: Gala rhymes with the Sumerian for vulva but was spelt with two cuneiform signs, the one for arsecrack and the one for penis. So they performed sacred anal sex, most likely with important nobel figures. There were rituals for wiping their crack so as not to offend Inanna by touching her property.
    You Sir, win the internet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Theres a movie about that lol - Teeth - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780622/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

lmimmfn wrote: »

There's also a joke, but this is a classy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ummm, worst job ever!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,852 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ipso wrote: »

There's also a joke, but this is a classy place.
    It was a classier place a few pages ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not in this universe.

If our universe was infinitely old and infinitely vast then night sky would not be dark.

Because there isn't time or room for all those decimal places it can only approach 1, admittedly very closely.

Infinity innit:)

It's a confusing concept, it's practically impossible to imagine. It's endless yet it comes in different sizes - how the fúck does that work!

For example the infinite set of real numbers is larger than the infinite set of whole numbers even though both are technically infinite. Which to my simple mind is simultaneously obvious and also not so obvious.
    If you could "count" all the whole numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 ......you'd come up with infinity - but then consider all the whole numbers, plus all the tiny fractions between each whole number and you'd also come up with infinity but it must be a bigger infinity than the first one - infinitely bigger!:confused::confused:

It's just a concept - you can't physically write down an infinite number - obviously because you'd never stop writing, there could always be another 9 tacked on at the end. That's the very reason there are people who argue that .9999... doesn't actually exist, because it cant be physically represented.

But I suppose you could argue the same thing about any other "endless" number, like pi for example.

I know Pi exists - I ate some yesterday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ummm, worst job ever!!!!!

I can think of worse jobs than bumming Gala to be honest with you

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Rescuing this thread again from the bumming Gala discussion ...

There are two types of infinity.
    Big infinity - C
    and small infinity - c

or one could argue there are in fact an infinite number of inifinities ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just on the earlier discussions on the origins of Dracula. It is a widely held belief that the inspiration for the Dracula in Bram Stoker’s book is the actor Sir Henry Irving. Stoker was the acting manager and then business manager of Irving’s Lyceum Theatre in London. I remember watching a documentary about Bram Stoker years ago and the connection was mentioned. I was working in the Gaiety at the time and there was a picture on Irving on one of the walls showing actors that had performed there.
    From 1878, Bram Stoker worked for Irving as a business manager at the Lyceum. Stoker idolised Irving to the point that "As one contemporary remarked, 'To Bram, Irving is as a god, and can do no wrong.' In the considered judgment of one biographer, Stoker's friendship with Irving was 'the most important love relationship of his adult life.'"[2] Irving, however, "… was a self-absorbed and profoundly manipulative man. He enjoyed cultivating rivalries between his followers, and to remain in his circle required constant, careful courting of his notoriously fickle affections."[2] When Stoker began writing Dracula, Irving was the chief inspiration for the title character.[2] In his 2002 paper for The American Historical Review, "Buffalo Bill Meets Dracula: William F. Cody, Bram Stoker, and the Frontiers of Racial Decay",[2] historian Louis S. Warren writes:

Scholars have long agreed that keys to the Dracula tale's origin and meaning lie in the manager's relationship with Irving in the 1880s. … There is virtual unanimity on the point that the figure of Dracula—which Stoker began to write notes for in 1890—was inspired by Henry Irving himself. … Stoker's numerous descriptions of Irving correspond so closely to his rendering of the fictional count that contemporaries commented on the resemblance. … But Bram Stoker also internalized the fear and animosity his employer inspired in him, making them the foundations of his gothic fiction.

Infinity innit:)

It's a confusing concept, it's practically impossible to imagine. It's endless yet it comes in different sizes - how the fúck does that work!

For example the infinite set of real numbers is larger than the infinite set of whole numbers even though both are technically infinite. Which to my simple mind is simultaneously obvious and also not so obvious.
    If you could "count" all the whole numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 ......you'd come up with infinity - but then consider all the whole numbers, plus all the tiny fractions between each whole number and you'd also come up with infinity but it must be a bigger infinity than the first one - infinitely bigger!:confused::confused:

It's just a concept - you can't physically write down an infinite number - obviously because you'd never stop writing, there could always be another 9 tacked on at the end. That's the very reason there are people who argue that .9999... doesn't actually exist, because it cant be physically represented.

But I suppose you could argue the same thing about any other "endless" number, like pi for example.

I know Pi exists - I ate some yesterday:D
    RIGOLO wrote: »
    Rescuing this thread again from the bumming Gala discussion ...

There are two types of infinity.
    Big infinity - C
    and small infinity - c

or one could argue there are in fact an infinite number of inifinities ...

Indeed there are, but what I can't get my head around (my mathematical skills are limited to counting to twenty, but only if I'm wearing sandals...) isn't that there's an infinite number of numbers of any category, but that 0.9999... is equal to 1, i.e. that one infinite is equal to another (but really, a whole number and therefore, in my head, not infinite), in a way.

Better go to the beach and see if I can fit the whole ocean into this hole I've dug, using my little bucket.. :o

Also, SBS? Fair play, that's the only rational thing to do with pi of any kind. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

KevRossi wrote: »
    Here's a map of the world. Every country in green has a larger GDP than London.

I watched a new report last week about the gold trade in London. IT's because of some Brexit stats that get reported on.
    The stats say that only 40% of the UK's exports go to Europe. That's True. However a big chunk of the 60% that don't is gold. Apparently most gold mined in the world ends up in london where countries buy it. This means that gold flowing out of London distorts the figures so much that it's actually responsible for about 10% of the UK's exports. And that's about 1/6 of the UK's non EU exports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement