Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ipso wrote: »
    Oh, well then you obviously mean miles. And they measure time in ounces.

I think you mean pints (not imperial ones).
    Well to be fair I measure time in pints. Often on a Friday I'll look at my watch and say I have time for a few more pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well to be fair I measure time in pints. Often on a Friday I'll look at my watch and say I have time for a few more pints.

Pints are the fourth dimension, you can sometimes measure a session by the depth of pints.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's a painless alternative to using the drill to deal with a tooth cavity. Silver diamine fluoride has been used for decades in Japan, and more recently in the States. It's completely painless (it actually works as a tooth desensitiser), and has virtually no side-effects (it does stain tough). It's also much cheaper than a normal dental treatment, as it only needs to be painted onto the tooth decay to stop dead it in its track. It's great for children, but also for elderly/frail patients.

More here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

Cordell wrote: »
    I really need to check this, I'll report later, gtg.

Words cannot express my disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Cordell wrote: »
    Words cannot express my disappointment.

Can you do it through the medium of dance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Oh, well then you obviously mean miles. And they measure time in ounces.
    I've corrected the post now, I read that for science (BIPM) using "meter" is wrong! The shame. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipso wrote: »
    So is time travel possible in theory, but humans just can’t do it?
    yes you just need to move in a higher dimension

UNJGXo.jpg
    for flat earthers it would be the third dimension, :pac:

but you can only travel from dark ages to now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Film studios put unique markers in screening copies to try detect who shared the screener to pirates.
    They do that with political memos. By changing word order and using synonymous and different punctuation marks.

"the Ship of State is the only ship that leaks from the top".

- Yes Minister

Not here in Ireland obviously but pimps that deck themselves head to toe in gold jewelry do it for a reason. Its not a status symbol. Its business. They buy the gold from pawn shops. The reason being is that if they get arrested, the police can only confiscate any cash they are carrying but not jewelry. That jewelry is then re-pawned for bail money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

mzungu wrote: »
    A group of polar bears is called an aurora, a group of peacocks is called an ostentation and a group of pandas is called an embarrassment.

An embarrassment is also the collective noun for our politicians

• Advertisement

yes you just need to move in a higher dimension
    for flat earthers it would be the third dimension, :pac:

but you can only travel from dark ages to now.
    I actually got the little graphic from a flat Earth article. I originally had the diagram in full four-dimensional detail, but you have to have boards set to Godmode to view it.

If you went outside and lay down on your back with your mouth open, how long would you have to wait until a bird pooped in it?

–Adrienne Olson

195 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The scientific name for "brain freeze" caused by eating something cold is sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia.

A quick way to get rid of brain freeze is by pushing your tongue up against the roof of your mouth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you went outside and lay down on your back with your mouth open, how long would you have to wait until a bird pooped in it?

–Adrienne Olson

195 years.

Surely it'll depend on where you are standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

There is an Island in the Caribbean called Montserrat where the natives speak with a cork accent.

It's because Cromwell exiled hundreds of people to the west indies from Cork , Kilkenny and Drogheda .

Exiled?
    Exiled?
    They were taken as slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

OldRio wrote: »
    Exiled?
    Exiled?
    They were taken as slaves.

They weren't though. That's a myth that has been thoroughly debunked in the last few years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/irish-slaves-myth.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wow, there's some politicking going on at the start of that article.
    Blaming right wing message boards for a 'myth' ?
    I'll have a full read later on.

Servants or Slaves?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OldRio wrote: »
    Wow, there's some politicking going on at the start of that article.
    Welcome to the interwebs. :D
    Servants or Slaves?
    Until the mid 19th century in the West there was a lot of overlap between the two. The lines were blurred. The serf system in imperial Russia which at its peak had some twenty million people as serfs was to all intents and purposes slavery. It was the 1800's before the Catholic Church officially condemned the practice. France was the first nation in Europe to officially ban slavery in the 14th century. It took a while before others followed suit.

In the classical world slavery was seen as normal and acceptable. The way we might think of "working for a living" as normal. Note how the Gospels written in the first century AD, with a basic Jewish cultural story translated through the prism of Greek and Roman thought make no mention of it as a moral issue. Islam which came centuries later codified the practice, but again didn't see it as a moral wrong. The most famous slave of the classical world Spartacus who we think of today as fighting against slavery almost certainly wasn't at the time and in his own head. It likely wouldn't have occurred to him.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

Following on from recent posts on the relationship between length and time. The beard-second is defined as the length an average beard grows in one second.

It's an extraordinarily small length with "official" formalizations between 5 nanometres and 10 nanometres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

The mass of a hydrogen atom is actually less than the mass of its individual electron and proton added together.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The most famous slave of the classical world Spartacus who we think of today as fighting against slavery almost certainly wasn't at the time and in his own head. It likely wouldn't have occurred to him.
    Many freed slaves throughout history have kept slaves.

The horror of early capitalism on the plantations was the economics of working slaves to death. And not just slaves, we have statistics that show up to 20% of the sailors died during triangular trade voyages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They weren't though. That's a myth that has been thoroughly debunked in the last few years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/irish-slaves-myth.html

He says this.

Without a doubt, life was bad for indentured servants. They were often treated brutally. Not all of them entered servitude willingly. Some were political prisoners. Some were children.

I’d call an indentured servant who didn’t enter service willingly a slave. I didn’t think they were paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Phoenix Park is the only north side location with a south side postal address number (Dublin 8 postcode).

The reason is that James' Street Postal Sorting Office provided postal services to the Phoenix Park and Áras an Uachtaráin because it was considered to be much closer, more convenient and able to provide a more expedient service than the Phibsborough Sorting Office (now Dublin 7).

Most people probably know this but I only found out in the last ten years :)

Phoenix Park is the only north side location with a south side postal address number (Dublin 8 postcode).

The reason is that James' Street Postal Sorting Office provided postal services to the Phoenix Park and Áras an Uachtaráin because it was considered to be much closer, more convenient and able to provide a more expedient service than the Phibsborough Sorting Office (now Dublin 7).

So is Conyngham Road, IIRC.

New Home wrote: »
    So is Conyngham Road, IIRC.

It is. Its considered part of Phoenix Park postally speaking (if postally is a word)

smokingman wrote: »
    The mass of a hydrogen atom is actually less than the mass of its individual electron and proton added together.
    I've mentioned stuff like this up thread, but that's because hydrogen isn't made of a proton and an electron and the weight fact is a good example of something that indicates this. It's just that pretending it is gives you accurate results most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I suppose the reason it stands out is that all the Northside postcodes have odd numbers with the Southside postcodes being even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

He says this.

Without a doubt, life was bad for indentured servants. They were often treated brutally. Not all of them entered servitude willingly. Some were political prisoners. Some were children.

I’d call an indentured servant who didn’t enter service willingly a slave. I didn’t think they were paid.

At least they had access to good dental care.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I suppose the reason it stands out is that all the Northside postcodes have odd numbers with the Southside postcodes being even.

Yep that's it! Only even numbered postcode north of the Liffey :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement