Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I have spent approx 35000 hours in my lifetime playing video games.

I could have cured cancer but didn't.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Candie wrote: »
    The Corpus Callosum is situatued under the cerebral cortex in the human brain, and among other things it connects the two hemisphere of the brain. In general, the right side of the brain largely controls movements on the left side of the body, and the left side controls the right. Damage to this area on the right side of the brain can result in cognitive issues, as well as issues of control and muscle recognition on the left side of the body. One of the more interesting medical conditions that can result from right hemisphere damage from injury, surgery or illness such as a stroke, is Anarchic hand or Alien Hand Syndrome.

AHS is a rare neurological condition where one hand basically seems to act on it's own. A person could be writing with their right hand, and if the left is affected by AHS, then the left hand might purposefully move to stop them, or take the pen away. One could lift a fork to one's mouth with a right hand, and the left hand could smack it away. The movements appear considered and deliberate and goal orientated, and a battle to keep things in one hand while the other hand tries to take them away is a common symptom. You could zip up your fly with one hand while the other immediately takes it down. It must be incredibly frustrating. It differs from other disorders in that the patient recognizes it as belonging to them, but it appears to have it's own will.

It must be distressing to live with and thankfully it's rare since there is no cure for AHS. Drugs offer limited help, vocalizing commands to the rogue hand can sometimes help, and as a last resort strapping the hand down is used. Some people have even reported their hand as trying to hurt them.

It seems a very unfair business to survive injury, stroke, surgery or whatever, only to be burdened with a rogue hand sabotaging your everyday life from slapping you awake to trying to choke you.

Just me?

evildeadii_032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The same artist came up with both the iconic modern version of Father Christmas and the image of Uncle Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

CruelCoin wrote: »

I could have cured cancer but didn't.

Bet you couldn't:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

Interestingly, I tried saying sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia and my brain froze.

Try:

spheno-palatine ganglion-euralgia. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

b318isp wrote: »
    Try:

spheno-palatine ganglion-euralgia. :pac:

spheno-palatine ganglio-neuralgia is smoother in my view. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

If you put headphones in nostrils, close your windpipe and open your mouth, you turn your head into a big speaker.

I really need to check this, I'll report later, gtg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gridiron football, NFL etc orginated in Canada not America. At the McGill University in Montreal.

McGill took components of rugby and modified the rules, they introduced the concept of 'downs' .

In 1874 McGill travelled to Harvard to play the American version of football 'Boston Rules' which was more like soccer at the time.

The Yanks were impressed by the Canadians game and rewrote the rules of their own game. Switching to an oval ball and introducing downs and tackling.

Today the CFL in Canada continues to operate, with the Grey Cup being the oldest competition in gridiron. The rules of the two games still differ slightly.

The same artist came up with both the iconic modern version of Father Christmas and the image of Uncle Sam.
    A German immigrant Thomas Nast. He was also famous for his derogatory depictions of the Irish, the ape in a tattered suit swigging out of a bottle. Over here Punch Magazine published his drawings.

Not a nice person. Viewed the Irish and Italians in NY as a sub species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

According to Wiki he actually didn't come up with Uncle Sam. But he did come up with Santa (and the elephant as a symbol of the republican party, but not the donkey for Dems)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

A German immigrant Thomas Nast. He was also famous for his derogatory depictions of the Irish, the ape in a tattered suit swigging out of a bottle. Over here Punch Magazine published his drawings.

He sounds Nast-y.

Fart wrote: »
    He sounds Nast-y.

Funnily enough there's a legend that the word nasty is derived from his name. Sadly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He wasn't all bad though. From Wiki:

In general, his political cartoons supported American Indians and Chinese Americans. He advocated the abolition of slavery, opposed racial segregation, and deplored the violence of the Ku Klux Klan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In radio transmissions the use of "Over and Out" to end a conversation is incorrect.

"Over" means you're expecting a reply, as in "over to you". So, "over and out" makes no sense in a radio conversation. "Over" means, you're expecting more; "Out" means the conversation has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Harasrailltub

There is an Island in the Caribbean called Montserrat where the natives speak with a cork accent.

It's because Cromwell exiled hundreds of people to the west indies from Cork , Kilkenny and Drogheda .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is an Island in the Caribbean called Montserrat where the natives speak with a cork accent.

It's because Cromwell exiled hundreds of people to the west indies from Cork , Kilkenny and Drogheda .

Were they not there as indentured servants i.e. slaves?

A lot of the Caribbean nations accents seem to have an Irish styled lilt to them at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The scientific name for "brain freeze" caused by eating something cold is sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia.

The pain is caused by a rush of blood to the head as the brain, detecting that the blood vessels are constricting due to the cold, signals the blood vessels to dilate to ensure that the brain gets enough blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

This is a follow on to #7286

That post was basically about Special Relativity, this one is about General Relativity. It's a weirder subject so might not work as well, but I thought I'd still give it a go.

So I've already introduced the fact that different observers timelines can be at angles from each other due to how fast they are moving with respect to each other. However all the timelines in that post were still straight/linear. All that General Relativity introduces is that the timelines can bend.

This is a image of an observer near the Earth. The multiple copies of Earth just represent it at different points in time, but in the same place in space. Unlike the previous images the little man's timeline is distorted toward the Earth.

UNJGXo.jpg

General Relativity states that a heavy object like the Earth will pull timelines of nearby objects into itself. Literally the Earth "grabs your future" and makes it point toward its core. Just by existing, doing nothing and letting time pass you'll move closer to the Earth, because your future now points toward the Earth.

A black hole is a more extreme case. In this image Alice is far away from the black hole, Bob is near it. The edge of the black hole, the event horizon, is the red line. The green line marks everything that is 10 seconds from now according to Alice. The orange line is what remains of the star that created the black hole.
    a3tkWd.jpg

What happens at the event horizon is that your timeline goes totally horizontal. From Alice's point of view Bob simply vanishes, because his timeline goes horizontal he can't reach parts of her future. For example he never reaches the green line which is space ten seconds from now for Alice.

It's often stated that the reason you can't escape a black hole is because you'd need to go faster than light. This is wrong. You can't escape because your whole future, your entire timeline, is drawn into the hole. If you follow Bob's timeline, the only way out of the black hole involves following his timeline backward, i.e. travelling back in time, which is impossible. So he can't escape.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Palestinians and Israelis in Jerusalem observe different timezones. In the same city.
    Some people with a time bomb got a Darwin Award over that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Fourier wrote: »
    This is a follow on to #7286

That post was basically about Special Relativity, this one is about General Relativity. It's a weirder subject so might not work as well, but I thought I'd still give it a go.

So I've already introduced the fact that different observers timelines can be at angles from each other due to how fast they are moving with respect to each other. However all the timelines in that post were still straight/linear. All that General Relativity introduces is that the timelines can bend.

This is a image of an observer near the Earth. The multiple copies of Earth just represent it at different points in time, but in the same place in space. Unlike the last previous images the little man's timeline is distorted toward the Earth.

UNJGXo.jpg

General Relativity states that a heavy object like the Earth will pull timelines of nearby objects into itself. Literally the Earth "grabs your future" and makes it point toward its core. Just by existing, doing nothing and letting time pass you'll move closer to the Earth, because your future now points toward the Earth.

A black hole is a more extreme case. In this image Alice is far away from the black hole, Bob is near it. The edge of the black hole, the event horizon, is the red line. The green line marks everything that is 10 seconds from now according to Alice. The orange line is what remains of the star that created the black hole.
    a3tkWd.jpg

What happens at the event horizon is that your timeline goes totally horizontal. From Alice's point of view Bob simply vanishes, because his timeline goes horizontal he can't reach parts of her future. For example he never reaches the green line which is space ten seconds from now for Alice.

It's often stated that the reason you can't escape a black hole is because you'd need to go faster than light. This is wrong. You can't escape because your whole future, your entire timeline, is drawn into the hole. If you follow Bob's timeline, the only way out of the black hole involves following his timeline backward, i.e. travelling back in time, which is impossible. So he can't escape.

So is time travel possible in theory, but humans just can’t do it?

Ipso wrote: »
    So is tome travel possible in theory, but humans just can’t do it?
    I won't make absolute statements (lest the future humans and aliens with megatech laugh at my primitive Earthman posts), but just say according to current theory.

So according to General Relativity it is possible. You can bend timelines so much they loop back. To cut a long story short, the only type of time travel it allows is the one where your actions were already part of what happens (the sci-fi style "I tried to save Kennedy, but I missed the gunman and shot him instead). A Russian physicist called Igor Novikov proved this in the 80s and 90s.

However to do this General Relativity says you need a special type of matter called exotic matter.

Quantum Mechanics then says this type of matter can't exist, because the machines required to make it cannot be built, again according to quantum mechanics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And that's not a new trick to catch out fraudsters.
    Dictionary makers put fake words in dictionaries and map makers put false features on their maps so they can tell when they've been copied.
    And maths tables.

Back in the day it was serious business because you needed them to navigate at sea.

The Scilly Isles sound funny, but back in 1707 nearly 2,000 sailors died because of navigation problems

This is the last bit, I just didn't want to load it all into one post.

Since space and time are really just part of spacetime, we should measure them both with the same units, metres for example. However because we see time differently, humans use a second for time. This is exactly like measuring East-West with furlongs and North-South with metres.

How many metres are there in a second? 299,792,458. Which is almost the distance to the moon. Future you, one second from now, is almost as far away from you as the moon.

Light is special in that it crosses one meter of space in one meter of time. So it covers 299,792,458 metres of space in 299,792,458 meters of time. Again due to how we see time, for us this is 299,792,458 of space in one second of time. Which we call the speed of light.

Rather than being a special number with significance, it just shows how out of whack our units are and is no different from the 201.168 that'd pop up if you were mixing up furlongs and metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was a bit confused until I realised/realized that you were mixing up meters with metres. Now I understand it perfectly:)

I was a bit confused until I realised/realized that you were mixing up meters with metres. Now I understand it perfectly:)
    :eek: I've turned into a yank!

Fourier wrote: »
    :eek: I've turned into a yank!
    Oh, well then you obviously mean miles. And they measure time in ounces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Oh, well then you obviously mean miles. And they measure time in ounces.

I think you mean pints (not imperial ones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ipso wrote: »
    I think you mean pints (not imperial ones).

Thanks. I will ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement