Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

More than 75% of Russia's population lives in European Russia ie, west of the Ural mountains. European Russia represents about 20% of the total landmass of the country.

In Siberia the two largest provinces are among the most sparsely populated areas in the world. One of these is The Sakha Republic which is the largest sub territory of any nation in the world. At 3 million square kilometers it is almost the size of India but it has a total population of just 950,000 and more than a quarter of these live in the capital Yakutsk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

The oldest bridge in Paris is the Pont Neuf, which doesn't have anything to do with the number nine, but actually means The New Bridge.
    It was so named to distinguish it from other bridges nearby, which were subsequently all replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Watched a documentary on the Japanese tsunami last night, real eye opener to the shear scale of the event.

The main earthquake happened 6km below the sea surface and released the equivalent of over 1million nuclear bombs. The subsequent tsunami wave was 1 meter high, a wavelength of 100km, and travelled at 800km/hr. It also caused the land mass around the coastal areas to subside by up to 2 meters in parts, making the effect of the tsunami much worse.

Nature at it's most terrifying.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

What was the name of the documentary? Was it on Netflix?

The oldest bridge in Paris is the Pont Neuf, which doesn't have anything to do with the number nine, but actually means The New Bridge.
    It was so named to distinguish it from other bridges nearby, which were subsequently all replaced.

One of my favourite old movies is Les Amants De Pont-Neuf. I remember seeing the DVD for sale in the US titled Lovers On The Ninth Bridge and thinking it was a typically lazy retitling.

• Advertisement

A collaboration a decade ago between Duke Uni and MIT led by behavioural economist Dan Ariely underlined something most of us probably intuitively know.

Eighty four study subjects were wired up for light electric shocks and gave their pain a subjective rating. Half were given a 10c placebo pill and told its cost and that it was pain relief, and 64% of them reported a reduction in pain when given further electric shocks, and the other half were given the same placebo in different packaging along with literature about it telling them that it's a new drug and that it's regular price would be $2.50 but it was currently 10c. No reason for the price cut was give. 82% of the people who were given the '$2.50' placebo reported a reduction in pain when shocked again. Even when it comes to placebos, you apparently get what you pay for.

This raises questions about how drugs are packaged and priced and how that affects their affect, so to speak. It also raises questions about pricing of other more mundane products - the same skin cream or vitamin C pill with a fancier jar and higher price tag might be more effective for it - though I imagine both the drug and beauty industries have been on top of this for decades and use it to full advantage.

It's worrying how susceptible we seem to be to this kind of thing when you consider the savings to be made by taking generic drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The duck-billed platypus has 5 different X chromosomes and 5 different Y chromosomes available, unlike humans having just one of each, which could lead to 25 different sexes being possible!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/may/08/genetics.wildlife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Candie wrote: »
    One of my favourite old movies is Les Amants De Pont-Neuf. I remember seeing the DVD for sale in the US titled Lovers On The Ninth Bridge and thinking it was a typically lazy retitling.
    Oh that's bad!
    Titles of English-language films are often horribly converted in France. But interestingly, titles are much more faithfully converted into French in French Canada. So for example, The Hangover is called Very Bad Trip in France, but Lendemain de Veille (The morning after the night before) in French Canada.

What was the name of the documentary? Was it on Netflix?

It was on channel 4 so you should be able to catch it on 4oD. I'll try get the name for you.

Found a link to it:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/japans-tsunami-how-it-happened

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jam sets much more slowly at high altitudes.. water takes longer to boil too..

I know this how? Well, I used t o make jam seriously by the hundreds to trade at markets and fairs to fund baby rescue work in Nepal ( family involvement)

A family member who stayed with me was a very expert and skilled jam maker and could not understand why our jam would not set properly.. she checked with colleagues and learned that is was because of the altitude we were living at.. we finally had to buy commercial apple pectin..

Why is this in my mind now? Well, I am deep in blackberries and rose hips...and my first jam set most unexpectedly and wondrously..

And I realised that after living all these years on mountains etc I am now literally a very few feet above sea level....

science in action... google for the details. ;)

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Jam sets much more slowly at high altitudes.. water takes longer to boil too..

I know this how? Well, I used t o make jam seriously by the hundreds to trade at markets and fairs to fund baby rescue work in Nepal ( family involvement)

A family member who stayed with me was a very expert and skilled jam maker and could not understand why our jam would not set properly.. she checked with colleagues and learned that is was because of the altitude we were living at.. we finally had to buy commercial apple pectin..

Why is this in my mind now? Well, I am deep in blackberries and rose hips...and my first jam set most unexpectedly and wondrously..

And I realised that after living all these years on mountains etc I am now literally a very few feet above sea level....

science in action... google for the details. ;)

Yeah, the lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point of water but conversely it takes longer to cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

JRant wrote: »
    Yeah, the lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point of water but conversely it takes longer to cook.

Yes, but water actually boils quicker at latitude, not more slowly. For Ireland the maximum difference is only 3.3C and for most of us is a negligible time difference in kettle or pot boiling time. Noticeable difference only occurs at altitudes well above what we inhabit here.

Yes, but water actually boils quicker at latitude, not more slowly. For Ireland the maximum difference is only 3.3C and for most of us is a negligible time difference in kettle or pot boiling time. Noticeable difference only occurs at altitudes well above what we inhabit here.

Indeeding it does, about 0.5°C less per 500m altitude if my memory serves me well. It does require more energy to boil at higher altitude but the boiling point is lower.

On the jam, it's more than likely being over boiled and this will affect the gel setting in the jam. I could be completely wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

To generalise this slightly, all the relationships between pressure, temperature and the state something is in (solid, liquid and gas) are called phase diagrams. As mentioned above, changing the pressure changes the temperature at which water boils into steam. It will also change the temperature at which ice melts into water.

However there is much more. There is a pressure at which ice will melt straight into steam without ever becoming water.

At high enough pressures water doesn't freeze into the ice we know (Ice 1h scientifically), but other Ices (there are 18 in total), some of which are electrically polarized. So something can have several solid forms.

Similarly chocolate has a total of six (edit: five actually, see below) solid forms, Type V being quality "melt in your mouth" chocolate (Lindor for example, EDIT: Lindor not an example, SECOND EDIT: After reading their technical papers it is!), Cadbury Flakes are Type I or II if I remember right.

JRant wrote: »
    Indeeding it does, about 0.5°C less per 500m altitude if my memory serves me well. It does require more energy to boil at higher altitude but the boiling point is lower.

On the jam, it's more than likely being over boiled and this will affect the gel setting in the jam. I could be completely wrong on that though.

The jam will actually boil quicker at altitude but at a lower temperature. But for the altitudes in Ireland it only amounts to boiling it for an extra 3 to 4 minutes at the top of Carrauntoohil compared to at sea level.

I'll not bore everyone with the science.

Fourier wrote: »
    To generalise this slightly, all the relationships between pressure, temperature and the state something is in (solid, liquid and gas) are called phase diagrams. As mentioned above, changing the pressure changes the temperature at which water boils into steam. It will also change the temperature at which ice melts in water.

However there is much more. There is a pressure at which ice will melt straight into vapour without ever becoming water.

At high enough pressures water doesn't freeze into the ice we know (Ice 1h scientifically), but other Ices (there are 18 in total), some of which are electrically polarized. So something can have several solid forms.

Similarly chocolate has a total of six solid forms, Type V being quality "melt in your mouth" chocolate (Lindor for example), Cadbury Flakes are Type I or II if I remember right.

The triple point of water is 0.01°C at a certain pressure that escapes me right now.

The jam will actually boil quicker at latitude but at a lower temperature. But for the altitudes in Ireland it only amounts to boiling it for an extra 3 to 4 minutes at the top of Carrauntoohil compared to at sea level.

Bore away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

(...)

Similarly chocolate has a total of six solid forms, Type V being quality "melt in your mouth" chocolate (Lindor for example), Cadbury Flakes are Type I or II if I remember right.

It all depends on the amount and kind of fat involved. The melt in your mouth effect of Lindor is thanks to the use of coconut oil.
    Coconut oil melts at approx. 24°C (some say at 20 to 23°, depends probably on latitude and altitude). That's why it's solid in cooler climates, but liquid in, say, India.

Lindor with its coconut oil content feels cool in the mouth and melts at body temperature in the mouth.
    Divine, want some now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Carry wrote: »
    It all depends on the amount and kind of fat involved. The melt in your mouth effect of Lindor is thanks to the use of coconut oil.
    Coconut oil melts at approx. 24°C (some say at 20 to 23°, depends probably on latitude and altitude). That's why it's solid in cooler climates, but liquid in, say, India.

Lindor with its coconut oil content feels cool in the mouth and melts at body temperature in the mouth.
    Divine, want some now.
    Thanks!

I read some technical papers and it seems my knowledge is out of date. There are actual only five solid forms, what was called Type VI isn't really separate from Type V.

Even Chocolate theory has revolutions!

Thriller is no longer the biggest selling album of all time.

Per RIAA today
    "The Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-75," a compilation of the country-rock group's first four albums, has now sold 38 million units, topping "Thriller's" 33 million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Thriller is no longer the biggest selling album of all time.

Per RIAA today

That's in the US. Thriller is still the biggest selling worldwide.

That's in the US. Thriller is still the biggest selling worldwide.

Quick check on wiki confirms this. 66 v 44 million in favour of wacko jacko worldwide.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I never bought a copy of Thriller. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The biggest selling band of all time The Beatles have over a billion sales of records, tapes, CD's and downloads. IIRC they amassed the most platinum disks too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The biggest selling band of all time The Beatles have over a billion sales of records, tapes, CD's and downloads. IIRC they amassed the most platinum disks too.

In 8 years..

Mad..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks!

I read some technical papers and it seems my knowledge is out of date. There are actual only five solid forms, what was called Type VI isn't really separate from Type V.

Even Chocolate theory has revolutions!
    A physicist that knows chocolate? Now that's a physicist I can dig. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The jam will actually boil quicker at altitude but at a lower temperature. But for the altitudes in Ireland it only amounts to boiling it for an extra 3 to 4 minutes at the top of Carrauntoohil compared to at sea level.

Science has debunked the old maxim about I before E, except after C.

In 8 years..

Mad..
    Yeah. it really was. To put it in context, imagine they first came along in 2012, basically just another boy band following the trend, but very quickly went a bit out there and created a new trend. By this year of 2018 we've had 20 odd singles, 10 albums, with Sgt Peppers last year and the White Album coming out a couple of months ago. All but one of which hit number one. Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever being the odd one out and only because the concept of a double A side single was still a bit new, so they counted the two songs separately. And we'd still have two more albums and 3 or 4 singles to go before they split up in 2020. Their talent and pace of real influential change over such a short timeframe is still pretty bloody staggering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah. it really was. To put it in context, imagine they first came along in 2012, basically just another boy band following the trend, but very quickly went a bit out there and created a new trend. By this year of 2018 we've had 20 odd singles, 10 albums, with Sgt Peppers last year and the White Album coming out a couple of months ago. All but one of which hit number one. Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever being the odd one out and only because the concept of a double A side single was still a bit new, so they counted the two songs separately. And we'd still have two more albums and 3 or 4 singles to go before they split up in 2020. Their talent and pace of real influential change over such a short timeframe is still pretty bloody staggering.
    Beaten to the top slot by Engelbert Humperdinck's* "Release Me."

*Gerry Dorsey to his mum and dad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I never bought anything by the Beatles, either. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement