Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Well, if you are a true believer, the devil has existed since the dawn of time.

The greatest trick he ever pulled was convincing people he didnt exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Some of ye don't seem to know that this thread is going downhill rapidly.

The city of Munich is called Muenchen in German which translates from old German as 'Monks'. Simple as that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Monaco means the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

If the Simpsons characters aged, Bart would now be older than Marge was when it began.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Greybottle wrote: »

The city of Munich is called Muenchen in German which translates from old German as 'Monks'. Simple as that.
    New Home wrote: »

In Italian, Munich is Monaco as is Monaco the principality.
    Hence Munich's official Name in Italian is 'Monaco di Baviera' (Monaco of Bavaria), although where Monaco actually is can often cause confusion: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-munich/munichs-italian-name-diverts-tourists-from-monaco-idUSL0972024920080409

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Northern Leopard Frog's eyes aid in its digestion process. The eyes retract into its head when it eats prey and helps push it towards the oesophagus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A case of eyes bigger than the stomach, if ever there was one. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Something I’m noticing across loads of subsections and topics on Boards the last few weeks. Seemingly new accounts or older&never used but with really low post counts, coming in and just causing arguments for no reason at all about anything.
    Beginning to wonder are we being troll bombed. Not a reach to wonder is it from Russia either. It’s been established they have ‘troll farms’ disrupting discourse on all sorts of forums and social media globally.

Watch out for it in your other subscribed topics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In 1518, a dancing plague hit Strasbourg. Roughly 400 people took to dancing for days on end with some collapsing from exhaustion, heart attacks and strokes while a small number died. The dancers were mostly women, and lasted roughly around 6 days with numbers of dancers estimated at roughly around 400. Authorities did not know what to do, but they had ruled out supernatural causes. Instead, they encouraged more dancing and opened two town halls so dancers could keep going.

Nobody knows why they danced and to this day remains unsolved.

Theories include that participants unwittingly consumed ergot fungi which is a hallucinogen that has also been linked with the Salem witch trials. Although this is not proven. Strasbourg was not a totally isolated incident, there were seven others in the region during the medieval period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

mzungu wrote: »
    In 1518, a dancing plague hit Strasbourg. Roughly 400 people took to dancing for days on end with some collapsing from exhaustion, heart attacks and strokes while a small number died. The dancers were mostly women, and lasted roughly around 6 days with numbers of dancers estimated at roughly around 400. Authorities did not know what to do, but they had ruled out supernatural causes. Instead, they encouraged more dancing and opened two town halls so dancers could keep going.

Nobody knows why they danced and to this day remains unsolved.

Theories include that participants unwittingly consumed ergot fungi which is a hallucinogen that has also been linked with the Salem witch trials. Although this is not proven. Strasbourg was not a totally isolated incident, there were seven others in the region during the medieval period.

There are many instances of mass hysteria and individual hysteria of this fashion over time. It is a reasonable assumption that ergot was responsible as there were no preservatives (as we know them today) that would have inhibited mould spoilage in the Dark Rye bread, a staple in the middle ages, never minding kitchen hygiene.

Fungi at it again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

New Home wrote: »
    Greybottle wrote: »

It's possible this may also apply to Fermanagh, which comes from Fear Manach. I've seen it translated as "Monk Men", i.e. plural, even though I'd have said that would be "Fir Manach". However I've also read a competing theory that it comes from a tribe called the Monaig/Manaig or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

david75 wrote: »
    Something I’m noticing across loads of subsections and topics on Boards the last few weeks. Seemingly new accounts or older&never used but with really low post counts, coming in and just causing arguments for no reason at all about anything.
    Beginning to wonder are we being troll bombed. Not a reach to wonder is it from Russia either. It’s been established they have ‘troll farms’ disrupting discourse on all sorts of forums and social media globally.

Oh, Putin. What a tangled web you weave. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

There was a dog born in Japan in 1923 called Hachikō. His master Hidesaburō Ueno was a professor in the University of Tokyo. Each day Hachikō would walk to the train station at the end of the day to greet his master on his return from work until one day in May 1925, Ueno didn’t return from work. He had suffered a cerebral haemorrhage at work and died. The dog continued to return to the train station at the time his masters train was due ever day for the next 9 years, 9 months and 15 days until his death in 1935, when he was cremated and buried with his master.

The University of Tokyo has since installed a statue of the pair.

Hachi_Ueno.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Well, if you are a true believer, the devil has existed since the dawn of time.

The greatest trick he ever pulled was convincing people he didnt exist.

I prefer Macklemores take on it

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing women they look better when they're made up"

I really dislike makeup.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

One of the most progressive and iconic sounds of all time in music was created, literally, by accident. The guitarist from Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi lost the tips of two of his fretting fingers in an industrial accident. After healing, he had to used thimbles on his injured fingers, began using super light strings and detuning the guitar to reduce tension on the strings, all of which resulted in a mournful droning sound that more or less created heavy metal music.

Maybe you did know that but it's still a cool story.

Skip to 3.30 if you want to hear Iommi at his best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There was a dog born in Japan in 1923 called Hachikō.

The basis for the Richard Gere film Hachi. God, I wasn't right for a week after watching that one :(:(:(

quickbeam wrote: »
    The basis for the Richard Gere film Hachi. God, I wasn't right for a week after watching that one :(:(:(

That's something I won't be watching. The post punched me in the heart as it is. :(

Dogs are too good for the likes of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Are Am Eye wrote: »

He’s really destabilising the West by messing with this thread. We must put a line in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

All Drum and Bass (and jungle) originated out of one song 'Amen Brother' by The Winstons . The sample is at 1:26. It's now called the Amen break.

Спасибо Comrades

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

All Drum and Bass (and jungle) originated out of one song 'Amen Brother' by The Winstons . The sample is at 1:26. It's now called the Amen break.

Спасибо Comrades

There's a documentary about the history of the Amen break and its role in the evolution of various different types of music, well worth a listen

Interesting fact is that GC Coleman, the drummer who performed on the track, never received any royalties despite the almost ubiquitous sampling of his performance across many genres of music over four decades. Coleman died homeless and destitute in 2006.

• Advertisement

In 1567 the burgomaster of Braunau, Hans Staininger, died after tripping and breaking his neck while trying to escape a fire. He tripped over his own beard, thought to be the longest in the world at that time at an impressive four and a half feet (1.4m).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

For the day that's in it, just a couple of posts about Hawking's work.

Singularity theorems:
    These were the focus of his thesis and his early papers.

Basically early on in the 1920s people had used Einstein's new theory of General Relativity to model the orbit of planets and stars. However Alexander Friedmann wondered what happened if you applied it to the universe. Now Einstein's equations essentially work as

1. Insert description of matter
    2. Solve equations
    3. Get out a description of the shape of spacetime around the matter.

Step 2 is incredibly difficult unless the matter is very simple (e.g. a perfect sphere not evolving in time). So applying them to the universe is even harder where even step 1 is hard (i.e. almost impossible to get an accurate description of the matter in the whole universe).

Friedmann assumed the universe was, on the biggest scales, roughly like a smooth soup. When he inserted this into Einstein's equations, they produced the result that the universe was expanding and had expanded from a very small point deep in the past.

By the 1950s, observations had begun to confirm this fact.

However the problem with Friedmann's solutions is that if you went far back enough the equations described the universe as becoming infinitely small and dense, a singularity. This is a signal that the equations are breaking down and producing nonsense and indicate that General Relativity isn't the whole story*.

However at the time, people thought that this was simply an artifact of the overly simplistic way Friedmann had described the universe, i.e. as an even soup. If a more realistic description was used it would not produce a singularity.

Hawking proved that this is wrong. It doesn't matter how realistic you make the description, General Relativity is still going to develop a singularity in the deep past and hence General Relativity is not the ultimate account of the history of our universe.

A similar issue had plagued the study of black holes. There General Relativity also develops a singularity at the center of the hole and again people thought this was due to treating the star that made the hole as a perfect sphere.

Hawking proved this wrong as well, even a realistic description of the star will result in a singularity and hence something else besides General Relativity is going on in a black hole.

*Note: Singularities are not "real" objects, they are just errors showing General Relativity is being applied where it isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Спасибо Comrades

Jungle and Drum and Bass had many splinter subgenre. Techstep is one. The first tune in this subgenre was DJ Trace's remix of T-Power's "Mutant Jazz" which appeared on S.O.U.R. Recordings in 1995. It featured stepping beats and much more a distorted bass. I still have the white label 12'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,833 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Numbers Stations broadcast spy messages which anyone with a shortwave radio can listen to. Using a system called a One Time Pad the spy operating abroad can decode the messages, but the code is totally unbreakable without the pad. The usual format is groups of five numbers. Many countries are still using this system.

The advantage is that it leaves no internet or telephone line trace, and possession of a radio does not attract suspicion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Following on... (I make no promises this will make sense :D, also it is long)
    Fourier wrote: »
    For the day that's in it, just a couple of posts about Hawking's work.

Singularity theorems:
    These were the focus of his thesis and his early papers.
    Black Hole Radiation:
    There has long been a conflict between General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

Quantum Mechanics describes matter has fundamentally random, jumping between properties and values with seemingly no causal link between the events.

General Relativity assumes matter is as it was in older physics, deterministic with fixed properties, for shorthand "Classical". From that Classical description of matter, you get a description of the shape of spacetime as I mentioned above.

Nobody knew how to make a theory were spacetime interacted with the random matter from Quantum Mechanics, so called Quantum Gravity.

Hawking was the first to manage to get answers out of a halfway attempt.

What he did was focus on the most extreme object predicted by General Relativity, a black hole. He assumed the black hole and the star that formed it were governed purely by Classical physics (a reasonable approximation for something as large as a star). However other matter near the black hole was treated with Quantum Mechanics.

To prevent any interaction between spacetime and quantum matter, he did not allow this matter to cause gravity, although it could respond to it.

This is what nobody had done before, picked the correct combination of approximations so that the equations became solvable and didn't need a full on new theory of physics, i.e. didn't need a full theory of Quantum Gravity.

What he actually found is very bizarre and wildly misreported in popular books. It currently cannot be tested directly, but there are hopes it will be in the next thirty or so years. There has been some indirect confirmation.

Essentially, the quantum matter, in response to the gravity of the black hole, begins to increase. More particles, of any type present near the hole, come into existence, moving in the direction away from the hole. This basically takes the form of a constant flow of these particles, radiation.

Now is the part that will make your head hurt, it certainly is bizarre to me.

In popular accounts they say this is because the black hole swallows one of pair of particles that pop out of the vacuum and the other escapes. Others say it is the black hole's energy making the particles. It is actually neither of these.

What Hawking found is that a black hole changes the definition of a particle. So:

1. I can't go into the full details without the mathematics, but in essence a particle is a bundle of energy and momentum arranged in a certain way that makes your measuring equipment click. What that "arrangement" is depends on the shape of spacetime.

2. In Quantum Mechanics "empty space" is simply when the probability of seeing a particle is zero.

3. Near a black hole, spacetime is so distorted, the arrangement required for energy and momentum to manifest as a particle is very different from flat spacetime.

4. Even though the space might have been empty originally, that just means 0% chance of seeing flat spacetime particles. That doesn't mean there 0% chance of seeing the new type of particles, the type defined near a black hole. Once the black hole grants access to these new types of particles, then viola, they begin to appear, even from space that was previously empty, because it has always had the probability to manifest them, they just weren't in the right arrangement to be detected. Now that they are, they begin to appear and affect you and your equipment.

Short version: Black Hole permits "hidden" definitions of particles to interact with you.

The indirect confirmation is that early in the universe, some of these hidden definitions would have manifested briefly and affected the smooth soup of matter present after the Big Bang and caused small regions to collapse.

Modelling on supercomputers show these collapsed regions go on to become Galaxies, with the correct properties we see from Galaxies today. So this is possibly the origin of Galaxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sure everybody knows that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

david75 wrote: »

Tough ****sky, shut it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well, it's taken a few hours over the last few days, but I've finally read this whole thread! It's excellent, so informative, though I hate it when you read a great 'fact', and then find out a few posts or pages later that it's not true. Special mention goes to Fourier, Candie, Srameen and Wibbs for their excellent contributions.

Here are two of my own favourite pieces of trivia:

1. The theme song for the classic 70s sitcom "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em." (which started future Broadway and West End Star Michael Crawford doing a lot of his own stunts) is basically a musical version of morse code spelling out the title of the show, not including the apostrophes in the last two words. If you listen to it online you'll notice it immediately...

2. In 1985 Feargal Sharkey, ex-singer of The Undertones, brought out his first solo album. The first single from it was his biggest hit, 'A Good Heart'. It was written by 19 year old Maria McKee (who had her own big hit with 'Show Me Heaven' in 1990) about her failed relationship with Benmont Tench, the keyboardist with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

The second single from Feargal's album was 'You Little Thief', which was written by Benmont Tench and is about the same failed relationship.

Edit: Bugger, the second one might not be true. Apparently Benmont Tench has denied it on Twitter in 2014 (not writing the song, but it being about Maria McKee). I hold out hope that he was just being polite and covering that it was about her... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Wibbs wrote: »
    On ancient clothing.. The purple pigment used by very rich romans to dye their clothes was worth its weight in gold. It took thousands of a particular shelled mollusc to extract the dye. The colour apparently became better with age and exposure to light and was extremely colour fast so could take years of wear and washing. It was one of the ultimate fashion and status statements. Only one problem... it stank to high heaven of fish.

Following on from this.
    How many people know that the colourant used for red smarties is derived from crushed insects, or at least it was until recently.

The bright red colourant is processed from scale insects, in particular the dried body of the female cochineal insect, collected in central America.
    The colorant is called cochineal, also known as carmine or E120.
    It is really from the carminic acid that the insects produce to deter predators.

Also relating to food and beverages using weird animal stuff.
    Guinness amongst most other brewers use a product called isinglass to help in the clarification or fining of beers.
    It is a collagen that was originally sourced from the the dried swim bladders of sturgeons, especially beluga.
    In later years a cheaper alternative was derived from cod.

So technically if you are a vegan you should not drink beer. ;)
    Candie wrote: »
    In the Massachusetts Shaker community of the early 1800's, a weaver called Miss Babbitt watched two men work a two-handed saw to cut wood and noted that the cutting action was limited to the forward motion and that the energy expended in pulling the saw back into position doubled the effort involved for half the output. Using her spinning wheel as inspiration, she developed an early prototype of the circular saw and it is that same basic design that is still used in lumber mills across the USA today. In the industrial North of England similar saws were being developed and have been patented, but in accordance with the teaching of the Shakers, Ms Babbitt never patented her invention. She's also credited with inventing a particular kind of timber nail and with improving the design of the spinning wheel, and possibly with an early version of a belt-driven washing machine.

Ah so that was why they got into the furniture business. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Are Am Eye wrote: »

It wouldn't surprise me, thank them for the popularity of Ancient Aliens.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/russia-and-ancient-astronauts-a-history-of-a-propaganda-campaign

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement