Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Fourier wrote: »
    Okay so I knew nothing about this, but literally only a few minutes googling revealed five academic texts discussing it and the current location housing the photographs, the Newseum in Washington D.C.

Probably the most direct account from my searching:
    https://www.amazon.com/Commissar-Vanishes-Falsification-Photographs-Stalins/dp/1849762511

Has to be true so, have you read this cracker from Amazon also?

https://www.amazon.com/Planes-without-Passengers-Faked-Hijackings/dp/1478339748/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520892146&sr=1-13&keywords=9%2F11+conspiracy+books

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Yes indeed, some books have false information.

Here we have five books and the physical photographs in a museum.

What do you require as proof? I mean if the actual photographs themselves and several academic texts mentioning them is not enough, what is? Do you want a confession letter from Old Joe himself?

David King's book The Commissar Vanishes goes into plenty of detail on it.

Which you’ve read from cover to cover on that particular subject topic I assume? Or you just turned to google something relevant to make your initial and subsequent comment seem less arrogant and ill-informed in spite of you knowing sweet f*ck all about any of it ? ;) night, night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ever used photoshop sightband... the "burn" and "dodge" tools are actually named for old darkroom practices used to doctor images since the early days of photography.
    The Dodge tool and the Burn tool lighten or darken areas of the image. These tools are based on a traditional darkroom technique for regulating exposure on specific areas of a print. Photographers hold back light to lighten an area on the print (dodging) or increase the exposure to darken areas on a print (burning). The more you paint over an area with the Dodge or Burn tool, the lighter or darker it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sightband wrote: »
    Which you’ve read from cover to cover on that particular subject topic I assume? Or you just turned to google something relevant to make your initial and subsequent comment seem less arrogant and ill-informed in spite of you knowing sweet f*ck all about any of it ? ;) night, night.

If you have anything intelligent to add to an excellent thread we would love to hear it.

• Advertisement

In the late 1700's there were no defibrillators but there were other means of resusitation.

As recommended by The Humane Society, dotted along the Thames and other waterways in the same way that lifebuoys are now, were resus devices that involved inserting a tube into the patients rectum, and using a bellows apparatus to blow smoke up their bottoms. The nicotine was thought to stimulate the heart and encourage breathing. In reality the shock of having a foreign body inserted into, and hot smoke blown up your posterior may have had more to do with it. Occasionally they'd blow it in a persons mouth or up their nose, but I guess it was more fun with the botty-bellows which was by far the most preferred method of delivery. And why not.

The practice was borrowed from Native American healers who would use the smoke of tobacco and other plants to treat various issues with apparent success. It took a couple of decades for the toxic effects of nicotine on the cardiac system to be elucidated and the smoke enema fell out of favor, except of course in the non-literal sense which will survive as long as humanity does.

BCMJ_54Vol10_sf_enema.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 67,587 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sleepy wrote: »
    Ever used photoshop sightband... the "burn" and "dodge" tools are actually named for old darkroom practices used to doctor images since the early days of photography.

I did a bit of the old school work at college. Incredibly intricate meticulous work.

We have a famous one of our own. The Pearse surrender which has Nurse Elizabet O'Farrell removed, but they forgot her feet.

pearse.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sleepy wrote: »
    You'll never believe where "Cut" and "Paste" came from ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The officially recognised mail collection point for Sunsami (Japan) holds the world record for being the deepest underwater postbox, at 10 metres. Up to 1500 pieces of mail are dropped in the box every year. The divers using the postbox in the pictures below are using special water resistant postcards which are then collected every few days and delivered.

underwater-post-box.jpg
    Know_More_About_The_World_s_Only_Underwater_Mailbox_1516969073.png

If you have anything intelligent to add to an excellent thread we would love to hear it.

Just having a quick look for one of your own contributions in that area also, intelligence and all that, can’t really see much here or elsewhere to be honest, best of luck.

• Advertisement

Just having a quick look for one of your own contributions in that area also, intelligence and all that, can’t really see much here or elsewhere to be honest, best of luck.

This is a great thread and your posts are going against the spirit of it. It's a shame to derail it like this.

Candie wrote: »
    This is a great thread and your posts are going against the spirit of it. It's a shame to derail it like this.

Is nothing without reproach or questionable on this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Why not ask a question, then, instead of dismissing other people's contributions as rubbish?

What is the basis for your doubt, in light of academic research on the topic and the presence of the photographs in a museum in Washington.

Things can be questioned, but there must be a basis for it.

Course it is. I've been corrected more than once, and the posters who corrected me showed me where I was wrong or mistaken and that was great because I learned from it.

All you're doing is insulting posters and you're not offering up any evidence to support your assertions.

That's not the spirit of this thread. It's okay to be wrong about something but if you call someones post 'boll*x', then show them why, show them the sources and the evidence and if they point you to their evidence, don't dismiss it with nonsense or more insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Candie wrote: »

But you've provided absolutely nothing at all to cast a reasonable doubt on the original post. We're all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The Irish word for magpie is snag breac.

Which was actually the name for a similar looking type of kingfisher that used to live here .

But magpie arrived around the same time that the kingfisher bird died out. So the old name just stuck on the new bird.

The same thing happened here with the crane bird. A lot of people call herons cranes. My parents generation all do where I live .

We used to have actual cranes. Huge birds. Kings used keep them . But they died off and the heron arrived in and the names just kinda stuck.

The Irish for heron is corr eisc. The spearer of fish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Something EVERYONE knows.

Some posters just want to see the world burn. No logic, no reason, no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The creature with the largest testicles in proportion to its physical size is the tuberous bushcricket, where they make up around 15% of its actual body weight.

THe animal with the largest testicles is the Right Whale, with each one weighing approximately 500kg.

Now that's serious bollocks.

The creature with the largest testicles in proportion to its physical size is the tuberous bushcricket, where they make up around 15% of its actual body weight.

THe animal with the largest testicles is the Right Whale, with each one weighing approximately 500kg.

Now that's serious bollocks.

What a load of ...interesting information. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do not post in this thread again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The Irish word for magpie is snag breac.

The Irish lang seems to like reusing words...or sometimes not.

The Irish for black-man is "fear gorm" which lit means blue man. But, you see, they could not have called him "fear dubh" (lit black man) as thats the Irish for the devil. I guess the devil was spoken about when Irish formed, and there were no black people around the auld sod then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Irish lang seems to like reusing words...or sometimes not.

The Irish for black-man is "fear gorm" which lit means blue man. But, you see, they could not have called him "fear dubh" (lit black man) as thats the Irish for the devil. I guess the devil was spoken about when Irish formed, and there were no black people around the auld sod then.

This was discussed before. In fact, 'Gorm' also means 'dark complexion'. Also, and just because I'm a pedant, Irish existed long before the Christian concept of 'Devil' came into being.

This was discussed before. In fact, 'Gorm' also means 'dark complexion'. Also, and just because I'm a pedant, Irish existed long before the Christian concept of 'Devil' came into being.

Well...the Christian concept of the devil is inherited from Judaism, which is at least 3,500 years old, whereas the earliest form of the Irish language in Ireland is about 2,500 years old.

I know, you said before the CHRISTIAN concept, but if we're being pedantic, I wanted to get in on the act.

Well...the Christian concept of the devil is inherited from Judaism, which is at least 3,500 years old, whereas the earliest form of the Irish language in Ireland is about 2,500 years old.

I know, you said before the CHRISTIAN concept, but if we're being pedantic, I wanted to get in on the act.

You're in. So are we saying that the term 'Fear Dubh' originates from Irish contact with Judaism instead of Christianity?

You're in. So are we saying that the term 'Fear Dubh' originates from Irish contact with Judaism instead of Christianity?

1amtvd.jpg

1amtvd.jpg

Yeah but it's much less boring than reality.

If I could double that pedantry, wouldn't it be more correct to say that certain strands of Judaism got "Satan" as the primary antagonist of the supernatural world from Zoroastrianism. Satan as he exists in the bible (i.e. roughly around the Babylonian conquest) is just an agent of God.

Although they didn't contribute much to mainstream Rabbinical Judaism, these forms of Judaism were influential on Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Maybe this guy dropped in for a cuppa, much older than either Judaism or Christianity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wasn't Donn (meaning brown or dark) the old Irish figure of the underworld? Maybe it derives from that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement