Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Three stages of turbo boost (Nintendo Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eceeOYoaLA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just when I thought Mario Kart court get any more vicious in our house, we discover the cops and robbers mode :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

So properly got into playing this online over the weekend for the first time.
    Just wondering what the story with the online track selection is. Over the whole weekend I'd say only 8 or 9 different tracks came up as options to pick.
    Was this the same on the Wii U version, is this a known thing etc. ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So properly got into playing this online over the weekend for the first time.
    Just wondering what the story with the online track selection is. Over the whole weekend I'd say only 8 or 9 different tracks came up as options to pick.
    Was this the same on the Wii U version, is this a known thing etc. ?

Bought it Friday and am seeing the same thing. Very little variation in the courses which was, to my recollection, not an issue with the Wii U version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hit random as your choice. It seems to pick randomly from ALL courses, not just the handful on offer.

Played for the first time last night. A few things :
    1. I played a fair bit of Mariokart on the WiiU Gamepad. I played a lot of BotW handheld on the Switch. I have never experienced anything like the hand-cramping I got playing Mariokart 8 handheld on the Switch last night. Holy ****.

2. Is it just me or does the HD Rumble make it feel like you're holding a box full of shrapnel that used to be your engine? Maybe that's a good thing but there's this horrible, hollow, broken feel when you get hit with a shell and I don't like it.

3. I'm not a fan of battle mode generally, but after playing a bit last night I think that's because they haven't really done it right for a very long time. And now they have. The 3 courses I played had that same anarchic feel as the once good battle course on the SNES. I foresee many fights with the kids...

4. Assisted steering is on by default! I was trying to take shortcuts and the car just would not turn. Son of a...! Fixed now though.

5. Finally tasted a cart. Don't wash your teeth afterwards, it only makes it worse!

Edit :
    Wahey! Whipped out the Switch at lunch time for a quick 2P GP at my desk at work, tiny controllers and much swearing abounded. #KarenLiving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Banjo wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the HD Rumble make it feel like you're holding a box full of shrapnel that used to be your engine? Maybe that's a good thing but there's this horrible, hollow, broken feel when you get hit with a shell and I don't like it.

With the joy-cons, yeah? I was worried about this as well - thought something was on the brink of breaking. You can almost hear the rumbling more than feel it, which is disconcerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Bought this last night, and I must say I'm not overly sold on my investment.

I don't have much interest in playing online, I don't mind that the better you're doing the harder it is in local co-op, but feck if I'm giving strangers that satisfaction of using a well timed mushroom to nip past me and claim first.

Mario Kart Wii was the last Mario Kart game I played, and is from what I've seen so far, leaps and bounds ahead of this. Flying Red Shells are a disaster.

Probably personal preference here but I preferred the speed of Red/Blue shells hitting you in MKW. In that, you'd hear the Blue Shell 'whoosh' as soon as it was thrown, and the frantic beeping and "crap crap crap crap crap" *BOOOM*.

Now I have barely enough time to register panic before I'm blown up. I miss the rush.

I now see how ignorant I had been, brought the Switch up to a session and stuck on 200cc.

The rush returned.

200cc is so fast you can outrun Red/Blue shells for ages if you're boosting enough, really adds a new element to the races. Its hectic as hell and requires a lot of concentration. And the four player races were just so much fun.

Have had 4 people in the last week tell me they'd be interested in getting a Switch and Mario Kart after playing it for a few hours.

Its so damn fun, I'm really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

The first copy of the game that Amazon shipped at the end of April arrived today. Thankfully they'd already shipped a replacement at the start of this month. Must have fallen into a corner for a while.

tailgunner wrote: »
    With the joy-cons, yeah? I was worried about this as well - thought something was on the brink of breaking. You can almost hear the rumbling more than feel it, which is disconcerting.

Just to follow up on this - the feel of the Pro Controller is the same, that wierd jangly feeling.... I guess it feels like you're holding the wheel of a kart that's bouncing over hard gravel instead of smooth road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just picked up my Switch yesterday along with Zelda and Mario Kart. First Mario Kart I've played since MK64. I'm loving it. Was a bit annoyed with the steer assist at the start but eventually learned how to turn it off. Played 2 or 3 online games and finished no higher than 8th. Gonna need ALOT more practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sarn wrote: »
    The first copy of the game that Amazon shipped at the end of April arrived today. Thankfully they'd already shipped a replacement at the start of this month. Must have fallen into a corner for a while.

Stop my extra copy might still show up if thats the case ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I really, really, really need to pick this up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Stop my extra copy might still show up if thats the case ha

Decided to throw my tracking number into An Post (never worked before and Amazon sent a new one!) and it said it was delivered today. I'll find out when I get home. Does my concious let me keep it....??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I really, really, really need to pick this up :/

I got it for 55 in Smyths, it is worth it, if you had the Wii U one though I'm not so sure if it would be... :)

Fieldog wrote: »
    I got it for 55 in Smyths, it is worth it, if you had the Wii U one though I'm not so sure if it would be... :)

I had the Wii U with the DLC. Sold the disc there for €17, not bad like.
    I know i'll get the Switch version, so pointless having both

I had the Wii U with the DLC. Sold the disc there for €17, not bad like. I know i'll get the Switch version, so pointless having both

Shouldn't you be training for the return of Competitive Play? ;)

fixxxer wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be training for the return of Competitive Play? ;)

This would be a purchase for her too ya see? It's pretty much a gift. I'm sound like that. Old school romance.

But real talk now (sans "switch can do no wrong" craic) how good and feasible is it to play 2 player MK8 with the 2 Joy Cons?

Like we got a Pro Controller cause playing Zelda on the Joy Cons (in their holder thingy) was proving a bit of a struggle.

Is it worth getting some yokes like these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7RIIR2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

But real talk now (sans "switch can do no wrong" craic) how good and feasible is it to play 2 player MK8 with the 2 Joy Cons?

I've been playing 2-4 players on single joycons quite a lot , find it comfortable enough as have all my friends. My OH is the only one to complain about the joycon but she just gets bitter about losing :)

maximoose wrote: »
    I've been playing 2-4 players on single joycons quite a lot , find it comfortable enough as have all my friends. My OH is the only one to complain about the joycon but she just gets bitter about losing :)

I've been doing the same, I prefer using a joycon in each hand but one joycon each worked fairly well

• Advertisement

I've been playing 2P on the bundled joycons with rails, no grips, it works absolutely fine. Both adult males with average sized hands. If anything the size of the screen is a far bigger problem, and even that isn't so bad once you get used to it. Forgetting to turn off steering assist is pretty awful too :D

Could we play with her using the Pro-Controller and me using both of the Joy Cons in the holder thingy? Instead of a Joy con each?

Could we play with her using the Pro-Controller and me using both of the Joy Cons in the holder thingy? Instead of a Joy con each?

Yup, that's how we play at home when its the wife and I. We have the steering wheel controllers for the kids but I can't for the life of me use them properly.

I can use them on Wii/WiiU.... but those were even small for me. The Switch Joy Cons in their wheels are not built for my massive western hands

I guess that slightly justifies the €75 forked out on the Pro Controller slightly more :rolleyes:

This machine is costing me an arm and a leg so far :/

EDIT: In saying that, I've been pumping money into Nintendo consoles and accessories for 25 years. And I legitimately can't remember anything breaking if it was 1st party. Aside from the dodgy N64 analogue sticks and the Wii remotes not having much charge or needing recalibration as they got older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Love this game. What's the trick for turning corners? I seem to lose a lot of speed. Jab the accelerator? Brake? Let go of accelerator? Something else?

Are you drifting? Hold R as you start the bend, or before it.

If you're hitting corners too quickly start tapping B/Down while drifting to take them a little tighter, only an issue at 150 or 200cc though.

You can tap L going over bumps and ramps to get a little boost too, at 150 and 200cc its essentially to be boosting pretty much constantly to get all those golds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Also, lean on the chair/sofa as you go around bends.
    It's not going to help but you can pretend your living room is an extension of the race track!

Man, where have you been? This hasn't changed since.... MK64?

As you approach a corner, jump (R) and turn in the air. Hold that jump button. This will start you drifting.
    Now, the next bit is one of those things that I can do, but I can't really explain. And once you can do it you'll see why - you just get a feel for it.

You'll know you're doing it because you'll see fire coming out of your wheels
    You can stop drifting by releasing the jump button.

Once you're drifting, you can steer into the corner or away from the corner to adjust your position on the road and the angle at which you're attacking the corner, but either way you keep turning. Get used to that bit first.

Once you're comfortable using the drift to scrape around corners, you will notice that if you hold the drift long enough the fire coming out of your wheels goes blue. Then yellow. On the new game I think there's a 3rd red stage. Let go of the drift when this happens and you get a small, medium or large boost - you end up going faster round the corner than you can otherwise.

But why wait? You can increase the speed at which you get the boost by wiggling the joystick/wheel. If you're on a left hand turn, drifting and primarily holding right to drift, flick the stick/wheel full left and back to right a couple of times and you get the drift boost faster.

Very quickly you will get used to getting boosts on most big corners. With practice you will get multiple boosts and sometimes get boosts on a straight to show off. After a while you'll realise that tracks like the Yoshi Circuit are basically nothing but drift corners.

Practice on Baby Park, it's the best place to learn - 2 big corners practically on top of eachother, plenty of laps to test it with and lots of distracting flashing lights to make sure your focus is tested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Are you drifting? Hold R as you start the bend, or before it.

If you're hitting corners too quickly start tapping B/Down while drifting to take them a little tighter, only an issue at 150 or 200cc though.

You can tap L going over bumps and ramps to get a little boost too, at 150 and 200cc its essentially to be boosting pretty much constantly to get all those golds.

OK, didn't know about drifting, I knew I must be missing something :) I'm on 200cc. So I take it drifting will keep up your acceleration? So I can let go of A and tap B as you say?

Advertisement